Scrimmage with Oregon State

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bpd

Scrimmage with Oregon State

Post by bpd » October 20th, 2017, 9:50 pm

Next weekend according to Jeff Goodman. I don't know if it is in Corvallis or Logan, but it will be a good test. Oregon St will be good this year and have one of the top front courts in the nation led by Tres Tinkle.

Unlike most of you, I am excited for this basketball seasos. I like this team and think they finish much higher than 8th (though the loss of our starting center hurts).

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Re: Scrimmage with Oregon State

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » October 21st, 2017, 2:15 am

What exactly is “much higher than 8th”?...

6th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » October 21st, 2017, 3:33 am

Top 3-4. MWC is pretty deep with likely top 100 teams this year (7 top 115 last season, including us).

We need to take care of business in OOC as a conference for once to get a chance at 3 bids, but I'm not sure who outside of Nevada has a real chance at being a top 30-40 team, maybe SDSU. Us, SDSU, Boise, UNLV, Fresno will all be top 50-100 teams so the MWC will be pretty close 1 through 6, with both CSU and Wyoming likely being top 100-120 teams as well.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 21st, 2017, 8:42 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:Top 3-4. MWC is pretty deep with likely top 100 teams this year (7 top 115 last season, including us).

We need to take care of business in OOC as a conference for once to get a chance at 3 bids, but I'm not sure who outside of Nevada has a real chance at being a top 30-40 team, maybe SDSU. Us, SDSU, Boise, UNLV, Fresno will all be top 50-100 teams so the MWC will be pretty close 1 through 6, with both CSU and Wyoming likely being top 100-120 teams as well.
Can you explain your optimism? I would like to share it. If this team is a top 50-100 team, that would make them an NCAA bubble
team or NIT team. I don’t see it.

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » October 21st, 2017, 7:57 pm

bpd wrote:Next weekend according to Jeff Goodman. I don't know if it is in Corvallis or Logan, but it will be a good test. Oregon St will be good this year and have one of the top front courts in the nation led by Tres Tinkle.

Unlike most of you, I am excited for this basketball seasos. I like this team and think they finish much higher than 8th (though the loss of our starting center hurts).
The loss of our starting center is the least of our worries. Dargenton is better anyway and I can't imagine Stall being worse than Janicek.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 21st, 2017, 8:28 pm

bpd wrote:Next weekend according to Jeff Goodman. I don't know if it is in Corvallis or Logan, but it will be a good test. Oregon St will be good this year and have one of the top front courts in the nation led by Tres Tinkle.

I agree, sick of hearing MWC is a 1 bid league forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » October 21st, 2017, 9:53 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:Top 3-4. MWC is pretty deep with likely top 100 teams this year (7 top 115 last season, including us).

Can you explain your optimism? I would like to share it. If this team is a top 50-100 team, that would make them an NCAA bubble
Prob best back court in the MWC. 1-4 we are gonna be lethal and athletic with additions of Brown, Isby, Miller and Henson.

Big question will be post defense with 6'6 Brown at the 4 and us being thin at the 5 with our biggest guy being a Freshman, we MUST master a zone defense. We are going to have to score score score this year but I think we have the horses for it

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 21st, 2017, 9:58 pm

IMHO, a 3 guard offense should be used this year as that is where the strength is and teams doing that with talented guards can be successful.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 22nd, 2017, 6:21 am

It's in Corvallis.

usufan5477
Been thanked: 0

Post by usufan5477 » October 22nd, 2017, 5:20 pm

Isby led us in scoring against Oregon State with 27 pts. Dargenton went 7-7 with 16 pts. If those two can be really productive. Things are looking good this year!!

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » October 22nd, 2017, 5:21 pm

I thought that was the intra-squad scrimmage and the Oregon State scrimmage is next week.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 22nd, 2017, 6:58 pm

usufan5477 wrote:Isby led us in scoring against Oregon State with 27 pts. Dargenton went 7-7 with 16 pts. If those two can be really productive. Things are looking good this year!!
You have an eye into the future.

usufan5477

Post by usufan5477 » October 23rd, 2017, 7:30 am

My fault. It was the intr-squad scrimmage. Still good to see these guys playing well.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 23rd, 2017, 8:21 am

...against each other.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 23rd, 2017, 8:24 am

usufan5477 wrote:My fault. It was the intr-squad scrimmage. Still good to see these guys playing well.
I hear we lost. We suck.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Hoopsnut

Post by Hoopsnut » October 23rd, 2017, 8:53 am

The defense was stifling........ its going to be a fun season, just hope we improve.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » October 23rd, 2017, 9:06 am

I hear Barnaba has a really nice shot...

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 23rd, 2017, 9:38 am

AggieDude wrote:I hear Barnaba has a really nice shot...
He was a big get for Northwest Nazarene this off season.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » October 23rd, 2017, 1:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Wish we would've pulled out all the stops to keep him here.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 23rd, 2017, 1:24 pm

AggieDude wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
He probably was told he had to buy his own shoes.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » October 24th, 2017, 8:59 am

aggies22 wrote:
AggieDude wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
:lol: :lol: And here I thought we learned our lesson the first time.

TheConspirator

Post by TheConspirator » October 25th, 2017, 11:48 am

AggieDude wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
We'll miss his presence on the bench.

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » October 25th, 2017, 11:06 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Prob best back court in the MWC. 1-4 we are gonna be lethal and athletic with additions of Brown, Isby, Miller and Henson.

Big question will be post defense with 6'6 Brown at the 4 and us being thin at the 5 with our biggest guy being a Freshman, we MUST master a zone defense. We are going to have to score score score this year but I think we have the horses for it
Very solid young backcourt with a bright future. I really feel that we are 1 piece away from having a very very good team. A solid post presence like a Gary Wilkinson, Tai Wesley, etc. or anybody that can freaking just rebound a ball and put it back in would really change this team. I’m just worried that that piece might not come in enough time to utilize how great of a group of guards we have...

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » October 25th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Very solid young backcourt with a bright future. I really feel that we are 1 piece away from having a very very good team. A solid post presence like a Gary Wilkinson, Tai Wesley, etc. or anybody that can freaking just rebound a ball and put it back in would really change this team. I’m just worried that that piece might not come in enough time to utilize how great of a group of guards we have...
Same. We really are 1 post player like those you mentioned from being a tournament team. Tough to put that much pressure on a freshman in Stall but he at least looks like he can hold his own at 6'9 240, offense won't be there but all we need is some tough D and rebounds. Dargenton has a chance to grab 7+ rebounds a game too but he's not a 5, and he's even kinda small for a 4.

We are gonna have to utilize our strengths to make up for our lack of size in the post, and I hope we learn to play a good zone. We looked better in zone last season too I thought

aggie3205

Post by aggie3205 » October 29th, 2017, 12:20 am

So did this game actually happen?

Donman

Post by Donman » October 29th, 2017, 1:16 am

Teams can't talk about it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hoopsnut

Post by Hoopsnut » October 29th, 2017, 5:13 am

Rules changed 2 years ago. You are allowed to give results and box score.

bucky

Post by bucky » October 29th, 2017, 4:35 pm

How did the scrimmage go?

aggiefan35100

Post by aggiefan35100 » October 30th, 2017, 2:30 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
usufan5477 wrote:My fault. It was the intr-squad scrimmage. Still good to see these guys playing well.
I hear we lost. We suck.

We didn’t lose & the only one who sucks is their coach

aggiefan35100

Post by aggiefan35100 » October 30th, 2017, 2:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
AggieDude wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
lol Barnaba was awful, he couldn’t play defense to save his life & every 3 he took was a brick. He benefited USU in no way

aggiefan35100

Post by aggiefan35100 » October 30th, 2017, 2:42 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Same. We really are 1 post player like those you mentioned from being a tournament team. Tough to put that much pressure on a freshman in Stall but he at least looks like he can hold his own at 6'9 240, offense won't be there but all we need is some tough D and rebounds. Dargenton has a chance to grab 7+ rebounds a game too but he's not a 5, and he's even kinda small for a 4.

We are gonna have to utilize our strengths to make up for our lack of size in the post, and I hope we learn to play a good zone. We looked better in zone last season too I thought
We definitely need to utilize our strengths. Taylor is definitely underestimated, he’s by far the best defensive player on the team. He’s always covered up for everyone else and the only “big” who knows what help defense is, but when he’s the only one boxing out the 4 needs to rebound if he’s not gonna do anything. The teams has definitely lacked in defense the past couple years since Duryea has become coach, hopefully it’ll have improved this year. We have players that are ball hogs & play offensively well, but they lack in defense which is just as important. Stall seems slow & isn’t the best shooter, hopefully he’s able to help out the team this year down low, otherwise Taylor is going to be all alone playing defense while Stall & Dargenton get the easy buckets. We need defense down low

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 30th, 2017, 2:48 pm

aggiefan35100 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

We definitely need to utilize our strengths. Taylor is definitely underestimated, he’s by far the best defensive player on the team. He’s always covered up for everyone else and the only “big” who knows what help defense is, but when he’s the only one boxing out the 4 needs to rebound if he’s not gonna do anything. The teams has definitely lacked in defense the past couple years since Duryea has become coach, hopefully it’ll have improved this year. We have players that are ball hogs & play offensively well, but they lack in defense which is just as important. Stall seems slow & isn’t the best shooter, hopefully he’s able to help out the team this year down low, otherwise Taylor is going to be all alone playing defense while Stall & Dargenton get the easy buckets. We need defense down low
Thanks Quinn

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

aggiefan35100

Post by aggiefan35100 » October 30th, 2017, 2:54 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggiefan35100 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Thanks Quinn

Yes, he Sam & Julian and Dargenton at times are great defensive players. I would like to see more offensively from Perry this year

Flying_Scotsman8

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » October 30th, 2017, 3:51 pm

aggiefan35100 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
aggiefan35100 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Thanks Quinn

Yes, he Sam & Julian and Dargenton at times are great defensive players. I would like to see more offensively from Perry this year

[youtube][/youtube]

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 30th, 2017, 7:38 pm

according to the OSU message board, this scrimmage happened on 10/28. Any word on how it went? Apparently OSU won (no surprise there).

http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/threa ... -scrimmage

With Duryea at the helm, my interest in USU basketball is the functional equivalent of my sexual interest in Betty White. This program is straight up flaccid. :)

Locked Previous topicNext topic