Herm Edwards

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
seabass

Herm Edwards

Post by seabass » November 30th, 2017, 8:54 am

He's the leading candidate for the ASU job right now. He's older and has been out of coaching for awhile, but I'm a huge believer in him. He's a great motivator, he'll recruit well. It's thinking outside the box, but I think it will be a home run hire.

elcheque2

Re: Herm Edwards

Post by elcheque2 » November 30th, 2017, 9:04 am

Who will win the Pac 12 south first, him or chip? I'm taking chip all the day long, but yes, I think he's a tremendous hire, and it helps maintain the status quo of the uofu not being able to win the conference.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » November 30th, 2017, 10:06 am

Every single college football podcast that I listen to and most of the people that I follow are bashing ASU pretty hard for this potential hire. The main concern is that he has never been a head coach in college football and hasn't coached since 2008. His NFL career coaching record is sub .500 and the teams he coached generally got worse under him. The only exception was the 2004 jets that went from 6-10 to 10-6 but then they went right back down to 4-12.

If I'm ASU I don't like the hire. If I'm USU and I can get this hire, sure I like it just cause we don't get big names.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 30th, 2017, 10:21 am

Herm has a ton of energy and is very passionate about the game of football but he might be a little too hard a$$ed to coach college kids. Having 10 years between coaching gigs is a long time and there is a HUGE difference between coaching men and coaching boys trying to become men. The one advantage that I think Herm will have is that kids have grown up watching him on TV, speaking intelligently about football and life in general and I think that will help him gain the ear of kids that might not have been initially willing to consider Arizona State.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 30th, 2017, 10:35 am

seabass wrote:
November 30th, 2017, 8:54 am
He's the leading candidate for the ASU job right now. He's older and has been out of coaching for awhile, but I'm a huge believer in him. He's a great motivator, he'll recruit well. It's thinking outside the box, but I think it will be a home run hire.
I agree with this, and Herm Edwards cause a shift on who is available for college football in general.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » November 30th, 2017, 10:46 am

And they really think he will be better than Graham who finished 7-5.

Donman

Post by Donman » November 30th, 2017, 11:04 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 30th, 2017, 10:21 am
Herm has a ton of energy and is very passionate about the game of football but he might be a little too hard a$$ed to coach college kids. Having 10 years between coaching gigs is a long time and there is a HUGE difference between coaching men and coaching boys trying to become men. The one advantage that I think Herm will have is that kids have grown up watching him on TV, speaking intelligently about football and life in general and I think that will help him gain the ear of kids that might not have been initially willing to consider Arizona State.
This

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 30th, 2017, 8:37 pm

blueaggie wrote:
November 30th, 2017, 10:46 am
And they really think he will be better than Graham who finished 7-5.
How much was the buyout for Graham? UCLA paid a massive 8 figure buyout to get rid of Mora, but that made more sense. More had back to back losing seasons, had lost 3 in a row to his rival and Chip was in play. Herm Edwards is much more of a gamble than Chip.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 1st, 2017, 6:59 am

It's not a good hire nor is it outside the box. The AD represented him as his agent while he was still coaching and he has already started micromanaging the program. He's requiring whoever comes onboard to keep the current coordinators which is why there was 0 interest from guys who have been coaching (see sumlin for example). Who in their right mind would want to take that job without being able to bring in their guys from the jump?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 1st, 2017, 7:20 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
December 1st, 2017, 6:59 am
It's not a good hire nor is it outside the box. The AD represented him as his agent while he was still coaching and he has already started micromanaging the program. He's requiring whoever comes onboard to keep the current coordinators which is why there was 0 interest from guys who have been coaching (see sumlin for example). Who in their right mind would want to take that job without being able to bring in their guys from the jump?
If you are going to force the new coach to keep guys that are currently on board already why the hell would you fire the head coach in the first place???

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 1st, 2017, 8:57 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 1st, 2017, 7:20 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
December 1st, 2017, 6:59 am
If you are going to force the new coach to keep guys that are currently on board already why the hell would you fire the head coach in the first place???
Exactly, not to mention that they paid him 11.5 to go away. With those facts in mind, if they don't finish higher than 2nd in the PAC12 South in 2 years than the hire was bad imo.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 1st, 2017, 11:34 am

ratofallaggies wrote:It's not a good hire nor is it outside the box. The AD represented him as his agent while he was still coaching and he has already started micromanaging the program. He's requiring whoever comes onboard to keep the current coordinators which is why there was 0 interest from guys who have been coaching (see sumlin for example). Who in their right mind would want to take that job without being able to bring in their guys from the jump?
In this sense Herm’s perfect. He’s the CEO. Rah rah, recruit with his name, manage the timeout’s. Ceo’s don’t bring in all the staff when they get hired from outside the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 1st, 2017, 11:40 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2017, 11:34 am
ratofallaggies wrote:It's not a good hire nor is it outside the box. The AD represented him as his agent while he was still coaching and he has already started micromanaging the program. He's requiring whoever comes onboard to keep the current coordinators which is why there was 0 interest from guys who have been coaching (see sumlin for example). Who in their right mind would want to take that job without being able to bring in their guys from the jump?
In this sense Herm’s perfect. He’s the CEO. Rah rah, recruit with his name, manage the timeout’s. Ceo’s don’t bring in all the staff when they get hired from outside the company.

I get what you're saying, and you could be right. From what I've seen, it's never been a good thing when an AD tries to get that controlling. Time will tell though and I could be wrong.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 1st, 2017, 1:18 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2017, 11:34 am

I get what you're saying, and you could be right. From what I've seen, it's never been a good thing when an AD tries to get that controlling. Time will tell though and I could be wrong.
Oh I’m sure I’m wrong, ASU will never be that good.

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic