Aggie up

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dyedblue

Aggie up

Post by dyedblue » December 2nd, 2017, 10:35 pm

Who is this?

Oh man! We got bigger tonight! #AggieUp #619 #Future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

GeoAg

Re: Aggie up

Post by GeoAg » December 2nd, 2017, 10:52 pm

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

bullshot

Post by bullshot » December 3rd, 2017, 4:41 am

Is he even a 1* ? It appears he was unrecruited by anyone else. If we want to get to 7-5 in the MWC we will need to do better than no * players who virtually nobody else wanted.

Sr. Tubastank
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sr. Tubastank » December 3rd, 2017, 5:58 am

I don't believe it is Hack. Will update when I have more info. I believe it is a HS kid.

@Call_It_Ustate

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 3rd, 2017, 7:16 am

I'd assume it is Hack since he is visiting but who knows.

Hack has no stars because he is a freshman Jc. I love these recruits, we've been very successful with the freshman transfers. Dude is big and has a great hl video.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 3rd, 2017, 8:52 am

Although he tweeted his commitment nearly a month ago, his area code was never tweeted as an #Aggieup. I believe this is Tim Patrick. Tim will be officially visiting next weekend. Sorry, I jumped the gun, it's not Tim, but Tim is still visiting on the 8th and 9th.
Last edited by aggies22 on December 3rd, 2017, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 3rd, 2017, 9:09 am

Tim Patrick wouldn't really qualify as making us bigger.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 3rd, 2017, 9:12 am

I have to take back what I just put up. It's going to be Billy Dunkle! This kid would qualify as making us bigger!!

William "Billy" Dunkle 6'5" 340 (Scout 3*) - T - Eastlake HS, CA
Offers from: Central Florida, Colorado St, Fresno St, Illinois, New Mexico, South Dakota, UNLV, UTEP
Interest in USU: MEDIUM
http://www.scout.com/player/william-dunkle-46039778
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4270194/william-dunkle

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 3rd, 2017, 9:16 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 3rd, 2017, 9:12 am
I have to take back what I just put up. It's going to be Billy Dunkle! This kid would qualify as making us bigger!!

Offers from: Central Florida, Colorado St, Fresno St, Illinois, New Mexico, South Dakota, UNLV, UTEP
Not only does he make us bigger but most importantly he makes us better. Big guys who cam move are at a premium. Love his tape!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 3rd, 2017, 9:25 am

aggies22 wrote:

I hope this is true. Kid is huge.

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » December 3rd, 2017, 6:23 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 3rd, 2017, 9:25 am
aggies22 wrote:

I hope this is true. Kid is huge.
But is he aircraft carrier huge

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » December 3rd, 2017, 7:05 pm

Those are some pretty good mid major offers. I like it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donman

Post by Donman » December 3rd, 2017, 7:07 pm

Wyatt Bowles from Syracuse. Decomnitted from Nevada

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 3rd, 2017, 7:58 pm

Donman wrote:
December 3rd, 2017, 7:07 pm
Wyatt Bowles from Syracuse. Decomnitted from Nevada

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Aggies22, do we know for sure if the 619 AggieUp was Dunkle? Bowles is showing up on 247 as committed to USU but Dunkle isn't. If he is, I feel we just landed two very good young linemen with Dunkle and Bowles.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 3rd, 2017, 8:13 pm

Any of these three will be great.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 3rd, 2017, 8:17 pm

So there is a different Aggie Up for Bowles. I really like Dinkel. We don't usually get HS guys that big

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » December 3rd, 2017, 11:19 pm

bullshot wrote:
December 3rd, 2017, 4:41 am
Is he even a 1* ? It appears he was unrecruited by anyone else. If we want to get to 7-5 in the MWC we will need to do better than no * players who virtually nobody else wanted.
Players like Jalen Davis you mean?

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 5th, 2017, 10:18 am

Why is Dunkle listed as a soft commit on 247? He's got some decent offers which could be a little concerning.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 5th, 2017, 10:24 am

ProfessorChaos wrote:
bullshot wrote:
You really think building a team of players that nobody else wanted is the best way to go ?

Sure, there will always be exceptions to the rule, but that hardly proves guys with zero offers will win championships.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 5th, 2017, 11:28 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 10:18 am
Why is Dunkle listed as a soft commit on 247? He's got some decent offers which could be a little concerning.
Dunkle is listed as a soft commit because although we are extremely confident that Dunkle is 100% committed, we have not received confirmation from Dunkle himself in regards to his commitment.

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » December 5th, 2017, 12:41 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 10:24 am
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bullshot wrote:
You really think building a team of players that nobody else wanted is the best way to go ?

Sure, there will always be exceptions to the rule, but that hardly proves guys with zero offers will win championships.

If the team were being built exclusively off guys like that nobody else wanted, then ya, maybe that would be a problem.

My point was more that the star ratings are a total crapshoot, and hardly indicative of how wanted a player actually is. Pretty much the only thing that separates a guy from being zero stars to 2 stars is just the recruiting site verifying that the player actually exists. Sites generally don't bother rating guys one star.

In other words, there's no difference between zero stars and two stars. And notable guys who fit that range include Jalen Davis, Bobby Wagner, Robert Turbin, Kerwynn Williams, Chuckie Keeton, Will Davis, Zach Vigil, Jake Doughty, Kyler Fackrell, Brian Suite, Joey Demartino, Hunter Sharp, Lajuan Hunt, Darell Garretson... You probably get the point.

Basically if you go over the last 8 years of USU football, almost every single impact player was between 0-to-2 stars. And if you look at the small handful of guys we've had who were rated as high as 3-stars, very few of them ever amounted to much on the field.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 5th, 2017, 5:45 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 11:28 am
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2017, 10:18 am
Dunkle is listed as a soft commit because although we are extremely confident that Dunkle is 100% committed, we have not received confirmation from Dunkle himself in regards to his commitment.
Say what???

Maybe they should change the tweets from Aggie Up! To Aggie meh, he’ll probably come around.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 5th, 2017, 5:52 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bullshot wrote:

If the team were being built exclusively off guys like that nobody else wanted, then ya, maybe that would be a problem.

My point was more that the star ratings are a total crapshoot, and hardly indicative of how wanted a player actually is. Pretty much the only thing that separates a guy from being zero stars to 2 stars is just the recruiting site verifying that the player actually exists. Sites generally don't bother rating guys one star.

In other words, there's no difference between zero stars and two stars. And notable guys who fit that range include Jalen Davis, Bobby Wagner, Robert Turbin, Kerwynn Williams, Chuckie Keeton, Will Davis, Zach Vigil, Jake Doughty, Kyler Fackrell, Brian Suite, Joey Demartino, Hunter Sharp, Lajuan Hunt, Darell Garretson... You probably get the point.

Basically if you go over the last 8 years of USU football, almost every single impact player was between 0-to-2 stars. And if you look at the small handful of guys we've had who were rated as high as 3-stars, very few of them ever amounted to much on the field.
My concern isn’t stars per se. I’m referring more to getting players that other teams and coaches want.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 5th, 2017, 8:54 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bullshot wrote:

Oh good, this argument again. I guess it has been 3 months...

Hail Aggies!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 5th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Here's a decent D-News article on the star rating system. Take it for what it's worth.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... -mean.html

Here's another article that compares the different rating services:
https://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-football ... igning-day

All things being equal, I'd prefer players with "higher star ratings" than those with "lower star ratings". In reviewing the recruiting classes of MWC teams BSU and SDS seem to consistantly be at the top. It's no coincidence that they, over time, have been the best football teams in the conference. The same holds true nationally with Alabama being at or near the top. USU rates out in the middle to lower part of the MWC — pretty much where we've finished the last while. I don't believe there's an absolute correlation, as there are many other factors beyond the star ratings of recruits that influence how a team ultimately does. But it is a metric that is widely used.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » December 6th, 2017, 5:57 am

Yes. It widely used for a reason. There is a correlation but not absolute.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 6th, 2017, 9:49 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bullshot wrote:

You could post that same response on pretty much every single thread on this board.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » December 7th, 2017, 7:38 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bullshot wrote:

I’m looking forward to reading the fresh new thread you’re going to start; The one that will have USUfans all a-twitter due to its amazing uniqueness.

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » December 7th, 2017, 9:01 pm

2004AG wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bullshot wrote:

You could post that same response on pretty much every single thread on this board.

I’m thinking of ditching cable, any suggestions?

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » December 7th, 2017, 9:02 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bullshot wrote:

I’m looking forward to reading the fresh new thread you’re going to start; The one that will have USUfans all a-twitter due to its amazing uniqueness.

I’ve had around 4 in the last few months, stay tuned!

Hail Aggies!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 8th, 2017, 9:50 am

I don't know much about the star rating system or how one is given stars, butttttt....Jordan's best friend was rated 3 stars, went to UCLA as a DB and hasn't seen much playing time at all...he is now a Jr.....I don't know how many "star" guys we have, but how much does that actually impact a program?

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 8th, 2017, 10:32 am

taniataylor wrote:
December 8th, 2017, 9:50 am
I don't know much about the star rating system or how one is given stars, butttttt....Jordan's best friend was rated 3 stars, went to UCLA as a DB and hasn't seen much playing time at all...he is now a Jr.....I don't know how many "star" guys we have, but how much does that actually impact a program?
You should have Jordan tell that kid to transfer!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 8th, 2017, 1:35 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 8th, 2017, 10:32 am
taniataylor wrote:
He was thinking about it, but was afraid to approach the Coach....because he thought there might be some consequences....

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 8th, 2017, 2:32 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 8th, 2017, 1:35 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 8th, 2017, 10:32 am
taniataylor wrote:
He was thinking about it, but was afraid to approach the Coach....because he thought there might be some consequences....
If it's the staff here you are talking about, they shouldn't get too terribly upset. Danny Gray transferred here from Tennessee because he was teammates and friends with Jojo Natson.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » December 8th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Tania...if you're talking about the staff at UCLA..all new crew at this point so not as much to lose with the coaching change

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Locked Previous topicNext topic