DeAngelo Isby: wasted scholarship, or am I missing something?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

DeAngelo Isby: wasted scholarship, or am I missing something?

Post by OKAggie » January 11th, 2018, 10:39 am

I'm not a scout, a coach, or a basketball professional of any kind, so I might be missing the appeal of DeAngelo Isby. All I notice is that when he gets the ball, whatever else is happening on offense stops. And when he's on the defensive end, he doesn't seem to inconvenience himself much. At best he's more of a breather guy for Brown and Brito. What am I missing?

Nobody here knows anything.

providencealum

Re: DeAngelo Isby: wasted scholarship, or am I missing something?

Post by providencealum » January 11th, 2018, 10:41 am

Not much in my opinion. When he gets the ball he has one goal in mind....shoot the ball no matter what.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 11th, 2018, 11:02 am

I don't think he's a wasted scholarship at all; he's third on the team in scoring and anyone who can put up numbers like he has on a few occasions is worth the risk. However, he's extremely hot and cold from game to game, more so than anyone I can remember playing here. After scoring between 11 and 18 points in 5 of our first 6 games, he's only done that once since; every other game has been either 24 or more points or 8 or fewer points.

To Duryea's credit, ever since the Valpo game he seems to have been able to recognize early in each game whether Isby is having a good night or a bad night and has allocated minutes accordingly, with 12 or so minutes on bad nights and 27+ minutes on good nights.

I certainly can't explain the variance in his performance from game to game, but from a pure talent standpoint he's the kind of player we need to have coming off the bench to score with our second unit. Hopefully he figures it out soon.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 11th, 2018, 11:46 am

aggieguy13 wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 11:02 am
I don't think he's a wasted scholarship at all; he's third on the team in scoring and anyone who can put up numbers like he has on a few occasions is worth the risk. However, he's extremely hot and cold from game to game, more so than anyone I can remember playing here. After scoring between 11 and 18 points in 5 of our first 6 games, he's only done that once since; every other game has been either 24 or more points [twice] or 8 or fewer points [seven times.] Also worth noting: half the game is played at the defensive end, where he seems happy to be a spectator.

To Duryea's credit, ever since the Valpo game he seems to have been able to recognize early in each game whether Isby is having a good night or a bad night and has allocated minutes accordingly, with 12 or so minutes on bad nights and 27+ minutes on good nights.

I certainly can't explain the variance in his performance from game to game, but from a pure talent standpoint he's the kind of player we need to have coming off the bench to score with our second unit. Hopefully he figures it out soon.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 11th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I'm well aware of his struggles; I'm not arguing that he's an all-conference player or even a starter at the moment, I'm just saying that he's talented enough to not be considered a wasted scholarship.

I do wish that he would commit himself to having a positive impact on the game even when his shot isn't falling by playing better defense. He seems like one of those players that has spent his whole basketball life being directed to score boatloads of points because of how talented he is on that end of the floor and not really having to worry about defense. It can be a tough mindset to get out of.

usu99

Post by usu99 » January 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm

He also takes some of the worst shots I have ever seen. Total playground crap that has about 10% chance of going on 75% of his shots.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 12th, 2018, 6:07 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 12:24 pm
I'm well aware of his struggles; I'm not arguing that he's an all-conference player or even a starter at the moment, I'm just saying that he's talented enough to not be considered a wasted scholarship.

I do wish that he would commit himself to having a positive impact on the game even when his shot isn't falling by playing better defense. He seems like one of those players that has spent his whole basketball life being directed to score boatloads of points because of how talented he is on that end of the floor and not really having to worry about defense. It can be a tough mindset to get out of.
Have we sunk that low? Isby would never have been brought in here by Stew. And if you go farther back, LaDell would have never even bothered to look at him. In other words, unless Isby at least plays some defense, and is more disciplined on offense....then he is a colossal waste of a scholarship.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 12th, 2018, 7:41 pm

usu99 wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm
He also takes some of the worst shots I have ever seen. Total playground crap that has about 10% chance of going on 75% of his shots.
He runs Duryea’s offense to perfection!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 12th, 2018, 9:57 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 6:07 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:

Have we sunk that low? Isby would never have been brought in here by Stew. And if you go farther back, LaDell would have never even bothered to look at him. In other words, unless Isby at least plays some defense, and is more disciplined on offense....then he is a colossal waste of a scholarship.
I believe our problem is that outside of Koby, Merrill, Brown, Miller and Henson, who on our team would be on scholarship at any top 5 MWC school? So what does CSU do? They dog Koby for 88 feet and dare anyone else on our team to beat them. And we couldn't. We can expect more of the same the rest of the way. Generally the only way we beat FSU and UNLV was for Koby to go off. Yeah Henson had a great game against UNLV in the first half, but we still lose that game w/o Koby.

Getting a decent big man at USU is akin to us getting a bruising, consistant, and grind it out RB in football. Despite all of our efforts,, neither happens.
Last edited by utaggies on January 13th, 2018, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » January 13th, 2018, 6:59 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 6:07 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:

I have no idea if Isby would have been brought in by Stew but Stew had more than his share of scholarship kids that didn't pan out and many of them had a short tenure.
Last edited by gomretat on January 13th, 2018, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 13th, 2018, 10:12 am

cdaAg wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 7:41 pm
usu99 wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm
He runs Duryea’s offense to perfection!
:cheers:

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 13th, 2018, 11:02 am

I wonder what Eric Frandsen has to say about this subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 13th, 2018, 11:36 am

Eric Frandsen the mountain of information on how to get things done the aggie way. If Isby has failed what grade does Erik get ?

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » January 21st, 2018, 12:49 pm

OKAggie wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 10:39 am
I'm not a scout, a coach, or a basketball professional of any kind, so I might be missing the appeal of DeAngelo Isby. All I notice is that when he gets the ball, whatever else is happening on offense stops. And when he's on the defensive end, he doesn't seem to inconvenience himself much. At best he's more of a breather guy for Brown and Brito. What am I missing?
You and I see things similarly. He disrupts on offense and is out of place on defense. Last night he wasn't even a "breather guy" and they needed a breather guy desperately last night.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 21st, 2018, 12:55 pm

So Crew Ainge gets a pass as far as wasted scholarship goes or am I missing something. LaDell had plenty of poor players as did Stew.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 21st, 2018, 2:31 pm

Speaking of breathers or lack thereof, Koby and Merrill logged, respectively, 39 and 40 minutes last night. I suspect they'll finish the year in the top 8 as to mpg played.

If we are so fortunate to play 2 or 3 games in the MWC tourney on consecutive nights, how is that sustainable. I know, I shouldn't get ahead of myself.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 21st, 2018, 2:50 pm

That is why Crew is waste my goodness Koby needs to get a rest as a point guard Crew should have been able to give him a blow for 5 minutes per game.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 22nd, 2018, 7:49 am

oleblu111 wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 12:55 pm
So Crew Ainge gets a pass as far as wasted scholarship goes or am I missing something. LaDell had plenty of poor players as did Stew.
If you want to talk about Crew Ainge, there's a New Topic button at the top of the forum. I had zero expectations of young Crew, and so am not disappointed. Isby is a Juco transfer and has talent, but he's a net liability every time he steps on the floor (the Utah game is the exception that proves the rule, and shows the level of talent).

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 22nd, 2018, 11:47 am

If one is talking about wasted scholarships then perhaps not just one current player should be discussed. Why did Crew not get any playing time when USU is short handed, ? That means to me that he is a total wasted scholarship.

If a player has talent it is the job of the coach's to teach and control him, however if you recruit a player that has no talent then that is a true waste of a scholarship.

If you put wasted scholarships in the heading then I will discuss the entire group, not just one player. Regardless of the problem on a team it is the job of the coach to improve the quality of play. The problem with basketball at USU goes beyond Isby, or Crew.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » January 27th, 2018, 11:11 pm

Will Isby get off the bench anymore this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 27th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Not if he keeps subtweeting the coaches.

Hail Aggies!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 28th, 2018, 9:12 am

Jjoey53 wrote:Will Isby get off the bench anymore this year?

Apparently the lion doesn't care about the opinion of the sheep. When you are the sheep it's best just to shut up.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 28th, 2018, 9:27 am

Isby is not good.

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » January 28th, 2018, 10:33 am

Isby makes the team worse and shouldn't see the court.

cval

Post by cval » January 28th, 2018, 10:38 am

I suspect he will get another chance. If he again starts off with five turnovers before getting a shot off, he will find his way back to the bench pretty quickly.

He can't really say he hasn't had a chance... he started off with a starting position, and even had a couple of good games, but they were mixed in with a bunch where he was pretty bad. I hope he makes the most of his next chance, because there likely aren't many more left.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » January 28th, 2018, 5:17 pm

The sad thing is he does have some talent, but appears his head does not match the talent.

Donman

Post by Donman » January 28th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Isby could be a very good player. Some preseason publications said he could be the MWC player of the year (it was either that or newcomer). He had a great game at the start of the year.

But while a good player, he isn't as good as he thinks he is.

He needs to put the team above himself.

Donman

Post by Donman » January 29th, 2018, 10:16 am

See Coach Wilson's Tweet today. Basically "Player, Why am I not Playing: Coach, "When you can help the team win you'll play"

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 29th, 2018, 2:46 pm

OKAggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2018, 7:49 am
oleblu111 wrote:
If you want to talk about Crew Ainge, there's a New Topic button at the top of the forum. I had zero expectations of young Crew, and so am not disappointed. Isby is a Juco transfer and has talent, but he's a net liability every time he steps on the floor (the Utah game is the exception that proves the rule, and shows the level of talent).
I find your response curious, OK. Your topic line specifically asks whether Isby is a wasted scholarship, not which Aggie player is most disappointing. It seems to be a fair response for someone to posit that Crew seems to be a bigger waste of a scholarship than Isby. I'm with oleblu: at least Isby has shown flashes of real talent. Perhaps something will click with him at some point, and he'll contribute. I don't anticipate that happening with Ainge unless he finds a reservoir of previously hidden talent.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 29th, 2018, 9:58 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 29th, 2018, 2:46 pm
OKAggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2018, 7:49 am
oleblu111 wrote:
I find your response curious, OK. Your topic line specifically asks whether Isby is a wasted scholarship, not which Aggie player is most disappointing. It seems to be a fair response for someone to posit that Crew seems to be a bigger waste of a scholarship than Isby. I'm with oleblu: at least Isby has shown flashes of real talent. Perhaps something will click with him at some point, and he'll contribute. I don't anticipate that happening with Ainge unless he finds a reservoir of previously hidden talent.
Stop at your first comma* and you'll find your answer. Ainge is obviously a wasted scholarship, and why dwell on the obvious? But we weren't really counting on him this year anyway. Isby is a juco transfer, and you only give them a scholarship if you expect them to contribute right away. He isn't, and despite his gifts doesn't appear to know how.

As to your hope that something will click with Isby: we're 2/3 through the season, a fair sample size for a juco transfer. It ain't gonna happen. He's this year's Barnaba.

* I meant your second :|
Last edited by OKAggie on January 30th, 2018, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

cval

Post by cval » January 30th, 2018, 7:28 am

I was trying to remember the name of another highly touted JC guy who began the year in the starting lineup then pretty quickly played his way to the bench.... I am thinking Spraggins, maybe. Any of you old timer remember?

Sometimes it just doesn't translate.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 30th, 2018, 11:21 am

cval wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 7:28 am
I was trying to remember the name of another highly touted JC guy who began the year in the starting lineup then pretty quickly played his way to the bench.... I am thinking Spraggins, maybe. Any of you old timer remember?

Sometimes it just doesn't translate.
Spraggins is a good example. So athletic in a time when we needed athleticism but for some reason couldn't find any PT. Other JC's or transfers that come to my mind are Michael Earl, Mikel Watson, and Marvin Jean. All started at some point early in the season and then never panned out as the season wore on. Oh, and don't forget the highly touted Antonio Bumpus that never even saw the court!

There have been many freshman that have followed this path too....James "where's my shoes" Walker III, Marcel Davis, Jojo McGlaston, Elston Jones...all guys that got starts at one point or another but never panned out.

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » January 30th, 2018, 11:28 am

If I were to rank the scholarship players in terms of importance to the team, not including seniors, this is how I would rank them:

1. Sam
2. Koby
3. Dwayne
4. Brock
5. Deron
6. Quinn
7. Klay
8. DeAngelo
9. Diogo
10. Norbert
11. Crew

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 30th, 2018, 11:39 am

thansen wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:28 am
If I were to rank the scholarship players in terms of importance to the team, not including seniors, this is how I would rank them:

1. Sam
2. Koby
3. Dwayne
4. Brock
5. Deron
6. Quinn
7. Klay
8. DeAngelo
9. Diogo
10. Norbert
11. Crew

I would add Dargenton to the top 3 or 4 on this list (is he not on scholarship?). He adds some length and athleticism in the post that nobody else here does. He gets pushed around a lot by bigger, stronger players, but his weak side help defense is better than anyone on the team and he can rebound. His absence has been felt in several games.

Eutaw St. Aggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 30th, 2018, 11:52 am

I think one and two should be reversed. I do not understand the love for Brock to little time for a judgement on him, imho

Locked Previous topicNext topic