Fresno St. Game

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
utaggies

Fresno St. Game

Post by utaggies » January 27th, 2018, 7:07 pm

If someone would have told me that Merrill goes 1 for 7 from three and 4 for 15 overall with Koby only getting 9 points, I would have predicted a double-diget loss. What a game! Henson played out of his mind. The Aggies have now equaled the conference wins I predicted at the beginning of the year. And I couldn't be happier! :scotsman:
Last edited by utaggies on January 27th, 2018, 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dyedblue

Re: Fresno St. Game

Post by dyedblue » January 27th, 2018, 7:08 pm

What an incredible shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

GUS

Post by GUS » January 27th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Koby and Sam seem tired.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » January 27th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Well yes. They play almost 40 mins a game.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » January 27th, 2018, 7:20 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 7:07 pm
If someone would have told me that Merrill goes 1 for 7 from three and 4 for 15 overall with Koby only getting 9points, I would have predicted a double-diget loss. Whay a game! Henson played out of his mind. The Aggies have not equaled the conference wins I predicted at the beginning of the year. And I couldn't be happier! :scotsman:
I had the same thought. I think this is the first game we have won when both Sam and Koby didn’t play well. Hopefully that is a good sign.

And what a shot by Henson!

ususports

Post by ususports » January 27th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Too bad 90% of our fans couldn't enjoy this game. This "new ball" is garbage. I mean talk about boring, when your 4 spot takes and makes the game winning shot. Total crap!

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 27th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Nice win, Aggies! I'm not sure quite how we have Fresno's number this season, but WOW! I agree with Utaggies. Koby and Merrill combine for 6 of 24 from the field and we get a road win? Unbelievable. Nice win, Ags. And to respond to ususports, I wish the general trend was more similar to these Fresno games. Winning is much more exciting than losing.

ususports

Post by ususports » January 27th, 2018, 7:46 pm

cdaAg wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 7:39 pm
Nice win, Aggies! I'm not sure quite how we have Fresno's number this season, but WOW! I agree with Utaggies. Koby and Merrill combine for 6 of 24 from the field and we get a road win? Unbelievable. Nice win, Ags. And to respond to ususports, I wish the general trend was more similar to these Fresno games. Winning is much more exciting than losing.
I am just having a little fun because when comments have been made that winning cures all, people have responded by saying no it does not. This "new ball" is so boring that even if we were winning, it is unbearable to watch. That's too bad for them because this was a fun game to watch.

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » January 27th, 2018, 7:50 pm

It is interesting to see Henson's line: 6/7 fg and 3pts, 4 fouls, and zeros in the rest of the categories.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 27th, 2018, 7:55 pm

The guys actually ran the offense most of the game and got great looks, slips off of screens...great motion the whole game. Well done.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 27th, 2018, 7:56 pm

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » January 27th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Is there a replay of the game on Learfield? or anywhere else?
Last edited by Aggiestyle on January 28th, 2018, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 27th, 2018, 8:39 pm

ususports wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 7:46 pm
I am just having a little fun because when comments have been made that winning cures all, people have responded by saying no it does not. This "new ball" is so boring that even if we were winning, it is unbearable to watch. That's too bad for them because this was a fun game to watch.
Sorry, I'm a little slow!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 27th, 2018, 8:43 pm

The best part of the last shot is hearing that arrogant Fresno St. color guy that gave us zero credit all night and compared us to AFA say, "Blocked!" as Henson put the shot up. What a fool!

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » January 27th, 2018, 9:49 pm

As someone who has been very critical of Tim, I do need to say that I’m impressed how this team has not thrown in the towel. They seem to play very hard for Tim. He has not had the best of luck and sometimes we create our own bad luck. I do think a healthy Klay and Miller and Pierre do make us a better team. Do I think Tim is the answer, no, but won’t deny that I’m happy to see him have a little success.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 27th, 2018, 9:58 pm

FeartheFro wrote:As someone who has been very critical of Tim, I do need to say that I’m impressed how this team has not thrown in the towel. They seem to play very hard for Tim. He has not had the best of luck and sometimes we create our own bad luck. I do think a healthy Klay and Miller and Pierre do make us a better team. Do I think Tim is the answer, no, but won’t deny that I’m happy to see him have a little success.

There’s no I in Quit!!!

Hail Aggies!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 27th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Good for the team. Always good to get a win.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 27th, 2018, 10:08 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 9:49 pm
As someone who has been very critical of Tim, I do need to say that I’m impressed how this team has not thrown in the towel. They seem to play very hard for Tim. He has not had the best of luck and sometimes we create our own bad luck. I do think a healthy Klay and Miller and Pierre do make us a better team. Do I think Tim is the answer, no, but won’t deny that I’m happy to see him have a little success.

You think TD is getting overall losing results for three long years because of bad luck? Ok....to each their own, but I think that is palpably absurd.

The other thing about the game I found amazing, is winning despite being outrebounded by 15.

UncleRico
Has thanked: 0

Post by UncleRico » January 27th, 2018, 10:29 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 10:08 pm
FeartheFro wrote:

You think TD is getting overall losing results for three long years because of bad luck? Ok....to each their own, but I think that is palpably absurd.

The other thing about the game I found amazing, is winning despite being outrebounded by 15.

Did you actually read the post, or only the part you wanted to fight about?

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » January 27th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Nice win, a bit unusual in the way it was done. Dargenton went down again tonight. This team does have heart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » January 27th, 2018, 11:49 pm

Ankle injuries are no fun. At least 2 weeks :(

Enjoyed the win and the shot immensely. Very intriguing thought on the play to. Very clever and good to go with the hot hand.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » January 28th, 2018, 8:19 am

Duryea rarely outcoaches his peers, but he has run circles around Rodney Terry twice this year. Fresno came into both games with an apparent lack of preparation and motivation.

The typical pattern for the offense this year has been to attempt some set plays, make no adjustments when the opponent disrupts those plays, and then devolve into hero ball. With Fresno unprepared/unwilling to disrupt the offense, ball movement continued throughout the game.

IMO, the two Fresno games show how good this team is when they are not at a coaching disadvantage. Would love to see what these players could do if that were the norm rather than the exception.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 28th, 2018, 8:22 am

UncleRico wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 10:29 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 10:08 pm
FeartheFro wrote:

Did you actually read the post, or only the part you wanted to fight about?
You got me on that one. I only focused on the bad luck. My apologies to Ff and you.

tkmad
Has thanked: 0

Post by tkmad » January 28th, 2018, 8:33 am

Aglicious wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 8:43 pm
The best part of the last shot is hearing that arrogant Fresno St. color guy that gave us zero credit all night and compared us to AFA say, "Blocked!" as Henson put the shot up. What a fool!
I heard him say that and thought it was a really poor comparison, then later they mentioned USU was 1-7 on the road and I thought huh maybe not so crazy

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 28th, 2018, 9:19 am

I'm guessing that Duryea only out coaches his peers when we win and gets out coached every time we lose.

I feel like coaches get way to much credit and even more blame than they deserve for wins and losses. For me the issue with this team is in recruiting. This team should top 4 with a shot to compete this year and next. I just don't see that happening.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 28th, 2018, 9:37 am

dyedblue wrote:I'm guessing that Duryea only out coaches his peers when we win and gets out coached every time we lose.

I feel like coaches get way to much credit and even more blame than they deserve for wins and losses. For me the issue with this team is in recruiting. This team should top 4 with a shot to compete this year and next. I just don't see that happening.

To be fair, this team is top 4 in the win column. A win Wednesday puts them in the top 3.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 28th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Aglicious wrote:
Thought the same thing! I didn't have the sound on the entire game as I was at work, but I did have it on to hear him say that teams like USU and AFA have to make games ugly to have any chance against teams like Fresno. After we beat them in Logan and almost went wire to wire at their house, yeah. What a chump that guy was

dogie

Post by dogie » January 28th, 2018, 3:24 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 2:34 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Thought the same thing! I didn't have the sound on the entire game as I was at work, but I did have it on to hear him say that teams like USU and AFA have to make games ugly to have any chance against teams like Fresno. After we beat them in Logan and almost went wire to wire at their house, yeah. What a chump that guy was
There was nothing ugly about that game (unless you are Fresno State). The Aggies just outplayed them, took care of the ball, made their threes and deserved to win.

Locked Previous topicNext topic