DeAngelo Isby: wasted scholarship, or am I missing something?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aglicious
Site Admin

Re: DeAngelo Isby: wasted scholarship, or am I missing something?

Post by Aglicious » January 30th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:39 am
thansen wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:28 am
If I were to rank the scholarship players in terms of importance to the team, not including seniors, this is how I would rank them:

1. Sam
2. Koby
3. Dwayne
4. Brock
5. Deron
6. Quinn
7. Klay
8. DeAngelo
9. Diogo
10. Norbert
11. Crew

I would add Dargenton to the top 3 or 4 on this list (is he not on scholarship?). He adds some length and athleticism in the post that nobody else here does. He gets pushed around a lot by bigger, stronger players, but his weak side help defense is better than anyone on the team and he can rebound. His absence has been felt in several games.
I believe he stated "not including seniors" as in this is his priority list moving forward. Julion and Alex are gone after this season.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 30th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 12:04 pm
Yossarian wrote:
thansen wrote:
If I were to rank the scholarship players in terms of importance to the team, not including seniors, this is how I would rank them:

1. Sam
2. Koby
3. Dwayne
4. Brock
5. Deron
6. Quinn
7. Klay
8. DeAngelo
9. Diogo
10. Norbert
11. Crew

I would add Dargenton to the top 3 or 4 on this list (is he not on scholarship?). He adds some length and athleticism in the post that nobody else here does. He gets pushed around a lot by bigger, stronger players, but his weak side help defense is better than anyone on the team and he can rebound. His absence has been felt in several games.
I believe he stated "not including seniors" as in this is his priority list moving forward. Julion and Alex are gone after this season.
Well, see there --- I spouted off without reading again. Then I look silly.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » January 30th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Dargenton is not there because the ranking excluded seniors. I think 1 & 2 are correct but 8 & 9 should be reversed. And yes I haven't seen enough of Brock to form a good opinion either.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 30th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 12:08 pm
Aglicious wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 12:04 pm
Yossarian wrote:
thansen wrote:

1. Sam
2. Koby
3. Dwayne
4. Brock
5. Deron
6. Quinn
7. Klay
8. DeAngelo
9. Diogo
10. Norbert
11. Crew

Well, see there --- I spouted off without reading again. Then I look silly.
You can never look silly Yoss! The ladies tell me you are both genteel and debonair...

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 30th, 2018, 1:56 pm

I saw enough of Brock to know that he belongs in the top 5 on the list. He should've probably been starting earlier in the year, and was going to be starting following the game he went out with injury. Great shooter, takes care of the ball, has size, good basketball IQ. Looked calm and composed out there. From all accounts he's also an incredible teammate and locker room presence as well.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 30th, 2018, 3:10 pm

OKAggie wrote:
January 29th, 2018, 9:58 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
January 29th, 2018, 2:46 pm
OKAggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2018, 7:49 am
oleblu111 wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 12:55 pm
So Crew Ainge gets a pass as far as wasted scholarship goes or am I missing something. LaDell had plenty of poor players as did Stew.
If you want to talk about Crew Ainge, there's a New Topic button at the top of the forum. I had zero expectations of young Crew, and so am not disappointed. Isby is a Juco transfer and has talent, but he's a net liability every time he steps on the floor (the Utah game is the exception that proves the rule, and shows the level of talent).
I find your response curious, OK. Your topic line specifically asks whether Isby is a wasted scholarship, not which Aggie player is most disappointing. It seems to be a fair response for someone to posit that Crew seems to be a bigger waste of a scholarship than Isby. I'm with oleblu: at least Isby has shown flashes of real talent. Perhaps something will click with him at some point, and he'll contribute. I don't anticipate that happening with Ainge unless he finds a reservoir of previously hidden talent.
Stop at your first comma* and you'll find your answer. Ainge is obviously a wasted scholarship, and why dwell on the obvious? But we weren't really counting on him this year anyway. Isby is a juco transfer, and you only give them a scholarship if you expect them to contribute right away. He isn't, and despite his gifts doesn't appear to know how.

As to your hope that something will click with Isby: we're 2/3 through the season, a fair sample size for a juco transfer. It ain't gonna happen. He's this year's Barnaba.

* I meant your second :|
Ahh. Ainge is such an obvious waste of a scholarship, it didn't merit mention. I feel you, man. Isby is an open question. Given where we are in the season, the answer to that question may be getting more and more obvious, but I still hold out some faint hope that something will click at some point. Zero hope for Ainge.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Hoopsnut
Has thanked: 0

Post by Hoopsnut » January 30th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Seems sad that we have grown (I can't express myself without swearing) people saying that kids going to school working their butts off and playing basketball are a waste of a scholarship. SMH!

I know that this is a forum where opinions are welcomed, but sometimes you should keep your opinion to yourself. Explains why it’s hard to get recruits here. Wasted scholarship.......... geez.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » January 30th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Ainge is a great defender that gets time whenever we need a stopper. He'll be used more and more.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 30th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Hoopsnut wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 7:43 pm
Seems sad that we have grown a** people saying that kids going to school working their butts off and playing basketball are a waste of a scholarship. SMH!

I know that this is a forum where opinions are welcomed, but sometimes you should keep your opinion to yourself. Explains why it’s hard to get recruits here. Wasted scholarship.......... geez.
Classic question-begging. Also: Isby's an adult.

Nobody here knows anything.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 30th, 2018, 11:49 pm

Ahbye wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 7:51 pm
Ainge is a great defender that gets time whenever we need a stopper. He'll be used more and more.
Is this a joke? In conference play, Ainge's ORtg is 36.7, literally one of the worst ORtgs I've ever seen. His DRtg is 110.4, which is also subpar and one of the worst on the team. Certainly not a DRtg that you would see from a "great defender" or a "stopper." When you combine these two numbers, Ainge's NetRtg is a -73.7. That means he gives up a whopping 73.7 points more per 100 possessions than he scores. That has to be one of the worst NetRtg's in the history of college basketball. Now, granted, he's played only 22 minutes in conference games, but he has played 88 minutes total on the season, with an overall NetRtg of -60.6, which is still pretty gawdawful. I don't mean to be heartless, but unless something changes DRAMATICALLY with Ainge's game, he should never see another minute on the court unless he's carrying a mop.

Indeed, the only Aggies with a positive NetRtg in conference play are Merrill (+27.4 [phenomenal!!!]), Henson (+10.8 [this kid needs more PT]), Taylor (+11.1 [most underrated Aggie]), and Dargenton (+2.0). Koby had a nice positive NetRtg last season (+8.1), but this season he is at -13.0 in conference play and -7.4 overall. Have to wonder if he is either injured or pressing too much. Perhaps with Moore's departure, Koby thinks he has to be "the man" and has put too much pressure on himself. He needs to step back, take a lesson from Merrill, and let the game slow down and come to him. He's a great talent, and we need him to have a more positive impact on the court to win ball games.

Oh, wait, what is the thread topic again?

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » January 31st, 2018, 9:41 am

ChicAggie wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:49 pm
Ahbye wrote:
Is this a joke? In conference play, Ainge's ORtg is 36.7, literally one of the worst ORtgs I've ever seen. His DRtg is 110.4, which is also subpar and one of the worst on the team. Certainly not a DRtg that you would see from a "great defender" or a "stopper." When you combine these two numbers, Ainge's NetRtg is a -73.7. That means he gives up a whopping 73.7 points more per 100 possessions than he scores. That has to be one of the worst NetRtg's in the history of college basketball. Now, granted, he's played only 22 minutes in conference games, but he has played 88 minutes total on the season, with an overall NetRtg of -60.6, which is still pretty gawdawful. I don't mean to be heartless, but unless something changes DRAMATICALLY with Ainge's game, he should never see another minute on the court unless he's carrying a mop.

Indeed, the only Aggies with a positive NetRtg in conference play are Merrill (+27.4 [phenomenal!!!]), Henson (+10.8 [this kid needs more PT]), Taylor (+11.1 [most underrated Aggie]), and Dargenton (+2.0). Koby had a nice positive NetRtg last season (+8.1), but this season he is at -13.0 in conference play and -7.4 overall. Have to wonder if he is either injured or pressing too much. Perhaps with Moore's departure, Koby thinks he has to be "the man" and has put too much pressure on himself. He needs to step back, take a lesson from Merrill, and let the game slow down and come to him. He's a great talent, and we need him to have a more positive impact on the court to win ball games.

For what it is worth TD said on the coaches show that Ainge will be getting more playing time and that he has earned it. I don’t think there is a large enough sample size on Ainge yet. I remember when I thought Brito needed to be counseled out and he is better than I thought he would be. Perhaps in the coming games we will see more of what Ainge can or cannot do. I think the stats mentioned above for Ainge need to be taken with a grain of salt because most of his time has been garbage time or short spurts of 2 or 3 possessions. It appears he has passed Isby and Porter on the depth chart.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 31st, 2018, 10:49 am

nswaggie wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 9:41 am

For what it is worth TD said on the coaches show that Ainge will be getting more playing time and that he has earned it.
Not to exacerbate the thread-jack, but...

does it seem strange to anyone else that TD's assertion (noted above) AND Ainge's increased PT in anything but garbage time coincide almost exactly with the timing of his little post-game hissy-fit (which I, admittedly, didn't witness personally but which has been reported on and discussed elsewhere viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45348)? Am I overanalyzing?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 31st, 2018, 11:28 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:
nswaggie wrote:

For what it is worth TD said on the coaches show that Ainge will be getting more playing time and that he has earned it.
Not to exacerbate the thread-jack, but...

does it seem strange to anyone else that TD's assertion (noted above) AND Ainge's increased PT in anything but garbage time coincide almost exactly with the timing of his little post-game hissy-fit (which I, admittedly, didn't witness personally but which has been reported on and discussed elsewhere viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45348)? Am I overanalyzing?
I thought the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 31st, 2018, 12:43 pm

nswaggie wrote:

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 31st, 2018, 1:57 pm

Wonder if Danny offered to make a sizable contribution to the charity of Duryea's choice.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 31st, 2018, 2:12 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 1:57 pm
Wonder if Danny offered to make a sizable contribution to the charity of Duryea's choice.
Doubtful. Playing Crew more is going to make it more likely that the "charity of Duryea's choice" will be the Tim Duryea Career Remediation Fund.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 31st, 2018, 2:19 pm

Who else is he going to play?

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 31st, 2018, 2:47 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 2:19 pm
Anybody but Ainge. Would rather have no PG on the court.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 31st, 2018, 2:57 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 2:19 pm
Anybody but Ainge. Would rather have no PG on the court.
There isn’t much to choose from. That bench is THIN.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » January 31st, 2018, 10:35 pm

Isby must really be in the doghouse to have not seen the floor at all tonight. As TD said in his post game the bench was awful tonight.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 31st, 2018, 10:44 pm

nswaggie wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 10:35 pm
Isby must really be in the doghouse to have not seen the floor at all tonight. As TD said in his post game the bench was awful tonight.
I agree with you on Isby. How deep in the doghouse can he be if Porter and Ainge are getting more PT? Henson gets 4 fouls in 13 minutes? No es bueno. How our starters are going to be able to play on average 35 minutes per game for 2, 3 or 4 consecutive nights during the MWC tourney will be a mystery. Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » January 31st, 2018, 10:47 pm

Maybe it's time to bring in Bean.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » January 31st, 2018, 11:24 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 11:49 pm
Ahbye wrote:

Nope, not a joke. Almost a direct quote. I watch practice. Ainge does a really good job of getting after our guys and making them better. I'd wager the defensive rating is due to his height, not how fast he moves his feet and gets to spots. From my vantage point on the floor this evening, he got his fingers or hands on a UNM ball three times in one possession. Does he have a long way to go? Sure. He's a freshman who was recruited to play a role. He's doing it.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 1st, 2018, 8:39 am

Ahbye wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 11:24 pm
Nope, not a joke. Almost a direct quote. I watch practice. Ainge does a really good job of getting after our guys and making them better. I'd wager the defensive rating is due to his height, not how fast he moves his feet and gets to spots. From my vantage point on the floor this evening, he got his fingers or hands on a UNM ball three times in one possession. Does he have a long way to go? Sure. He's a freshman who was recruited to play a role. He's doing it.
I concede you have much more insight than I do since I have only watched him play in games, and not in practice, but I have seen him be on the receiving end of several blow-bys and make poor decisions on the offensive end of the court. I haven't really paid attention to his off-the-ball defense and I also missed the exchange where he had three deflections in a single possession. All I saw is poor play leading to a 9-0 UNM run, and much of that poor play seemed attributable to Ainge.

As far as him being a freshman who was recruited to play a role that he is playing, I guess I would suggest we aim higher when recruiting "role players." I get it. We are not Kentucky. We can't recruit 10 or even 5 (or even 1) future NBA players on a given team. That said, we have recruited several role players over the years who have had a significant positive impact, and I don't see that happening with Ainge. I do see it in Brito and Taylor. Neither is a "star," but both make good things happen.

gametime12
Been thanked: 0

Post by gametime12 » February 1st, 2018, 8:56 am

Aggie-Man wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 10:47 pm
I think Bean is a red-shirt this year- at least that's what the program said. With all the injuries, the bench is going to be thin for the foreseeable future.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 1st, 2018, 9:22 am

Isby needs a throw a temper tantrum line Ainge did. Maybe that will get him more playing time.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » February 1st, 2018, 11:52 am

gametime12 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 8:56 am
Aggie-Man wrote:
I think Bean is a red-shirt this year- at least that's what the program said. With all the injuries, the bench is going to be thin for the foreseeable future.
If we get Alex and Julion back that should help a lot. That would give us an 8 man rotation without Crew or Abel getting playing time. Anyone know when we can expect the get Julion back? I know Alex should be back for the next game.

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » February 1st, 2018, 11:58 am

Even if we don't get Pearre and Dargenton back soon that's okay because I would prefer to give the playing time/experience to our younger players that will be here next year. Although it will be nice to have Pearre and Dargenton back to give the other players a rest.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » February 1st, 2018, 12:09 pm

thansen wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 11:58 am
Even if we don't get Pearre and Dargenton back soon that's okay because I would prefer to give the playing time/experience to our younger players that will be here next year. Although it will be nice to have Pearre and Dargenton back to give the other players a rest.
I agree, in the case of giving Henson more minutes. I think Ainge and Porter need some time on the bench. Particularly Ainge needs some consequences for blowing up on a coach. Stew always used to say (paraphrasing) the players can do what they want, but I decide who plays and how much.

Don’t know what Isby did to get in the doghouse so badly that Ainge gets playing time over him, but I would think Ainge should have to work his way out of the doghouse as well.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » February 1st, 2018, 3:38 pm

gametime12 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 8:56 am
Aggie-Man wrote:
I did not know that. He dresses for the games???

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » February 1st, 2018, 8:57 pm

I can remember a lot of people here were upset about Taylor getting a scholarship. I certainly feel he earned it at the time and even more so now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 1st, 2018, 9:35 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 8:57 pm
I can remember a lot of people here were upset about Taylor getting a scholarship. I certainly feel he earned it at the time and even more so now.

My recollection is that Taylor had them by the short ones. He was originally a walk-on in '12-'13 when he red-shirted and then went on a mission during the '13-'14 and '14-'15 seasons. Upon returning he again walked on for the '15-'16 season but afterwards demanded a scholarship or said that he would walk. With Lew Evans having transferred to Tennessee at the end of '15 -'16 and Colleen having bailed at the beginning of that same season, TD was in dire straits for a center. Taylor got his schollie. It's worked out well for the former 6'6" HS guard and for USU.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » February 1st, 2018, 11:18 pm

Does anyone else immediately think of Micky Rooney when they see Crew Ainge playing? Or is it just me?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 2nd, 2018, 7:55 am

utaggies wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 9:35 pm
Jjoey53 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 8:57 pm

My recollection is that Taylor had them by the short ones. He was originally a walk-on in '12-'13 when he red-shirted and then went on a mission during the '13-'14 and '14-'15 seasons. Upon returning he again walked on for the '15-'16 season but afterwards demanded a scholarship or said that he would walk. With Lew Evans having transferred to Tennessee at the end of '15 -'16 and Colleen having bailed at the beginning of that same season, TD was in dire straits for a center. Taylor got his schollie. It's worked out well for the former 6'6" HS guard and for USU.
That's pretty much how it went. I still don't think Taylor is a scholarship player but he makes/made the most out of the situation and played it well in his favor. Had the position EVER been recruited properly he wouldn't see the floor hardly at all. Not bagging on Taylor, I'm only being real.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » February 2nd, 2018, 8:30 am

newhouse9 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 11:18 pm
Does anyone else immediately think of Micky Rooney when they see Crew Ainge playing? Or is it just me?
Nobody under the age of 60 knows what you're talking about :)

Locked Previous topicNext topic