DeAngelo Isby: wasted scholarship, or am I missing something?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

Re: DeAngelo Isby: wasted scholarship, or am I missing something?

Post by treesap32 » February 2nd, 2018, 9:26 am

newhouse9 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 11:18 pm
Does anyone else immediately think of Micky Rooney when they see Crew Ainge playing? Or is it just me?
Hahaha... Yes.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 2nd, 2018, 9:44 am

aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 9:35 pm
Jjoey53 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 8:57 pm
I can remember a lot of people here were upset about Taylor getting a scholarship. I certainly feel he earned it at the time and even more so now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My recollection is that Taylor had them by the short ones. He was originally a walk-on in '12-'13 when he red-shirted and then went on a mission during the '13-'14 and '14-'15 seasons. Upon returning he again walked on for the '15-'16 season but afterwards demanded a scholarship or said that he would walk. With Lew Evans having transferred to Tennessee at the end of '15 -'16 and Colleen having bailed at the beginning of that same season, TD was in dire straits for a center. Taylor got his schollie. It's worked out well for the former 6'6" HS guard and for USU.
That's pretty much how it went. I still don't think Taylor is a scholarship player but he makes/made the most out of the situation and played it well in his favor. Had the position EVER been recruited properly he wouldn't see the floor hardly at all. Not bagging on Taylor, I'm only being real.
Nailed it. Taylor is a nice player but if you want to win the MW, you need better players taking up scholarships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 2nd, 2018, 10:25 am

2004AG wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 9:44 am
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
I can remember a lot of people here were upset about Taylor getting a scholarship. I certainly feel he earned it at the time and even more so now.

My recollection is that Taylor had them by the short ones. He was originally a walk-on in '12-'13 when he red-shirted and then went on a mission during the '13-'14 and '14-'15 seasons. Upon returning he again walked on for the '15-'16 season but afterwards demanded a scholarship or said that he would walk. With Lew Evans having transferred to Tennessee at the end of '15 -'16 and Colleen having bailed at the beginning of that same season, TD was in dire straits for a center. Taylor got his schollie. It's worked out well for the former 6'6" HS guard and for USU.
That's pretty much how it went. I still don't think Taylor is a scholarship player but he makes/made the most out of the situation and played it well in his favor. Had the position EVER been recruited properly he wouldn't see the floor hardly at all. Not bagging on Taylor, I'm only being real.
Nailed it. Taylor is a nice player but if you want to win the MW, you need better players taking up scholarships.

So the bottom line is that we have a former walk-on (Taylor) starting. Another walk-on (Porter) getting playing time. A scholarship player who should never have been given one (Ainge), a starter who never got an offer beyond USU's (Brito), an in-coming center who is the 7th best player on his Juco team, an in-coming 6'0" PG (Ashworth) who had no other offers besides USU's and a returning injured center (Janicek) of questionable abilities. Yikes!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 2nd, 2018, 10:38 am

utaggies wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 10:25 am
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

So the bottom line is that we have a former walk-on (Taylor) starting. Another walk-on (Porter) getting playing time. A scholarship player who should never have been given one (Ainge), a starter who never got an offer beyond USU's (Brito), an in-coming center who is the 7th best player on his Juco team, an in-coming 6'0" PG (Ashworth) who had no other offers besides USU's and a returning injured center (Janicek) of questionable abilities. Yikes!
I'm good with Taylor having a scholarship, as it appears that he is earning it and is our second best post player after Brown. On a good Aggie team, he might still be a back-up, scholarship player.

I like Brito. It seems like he makes good things happen when he is out on the court. He has great awareness and I think he makes the team better, even if his stats aren't stellar. Ashworth is a player I think you take a chance on. As a state school, we should always keep our eyes open for in-state players who might be underrecruited, maybe Ashworth is that guy? I don't know, but time will tell.

Janicek may never play again, from what I've read on here.

Grootfaam seems to be the physical guy down low everyone is clamoring for, but now everyone is upset that he doesn't score a lot. From what I remember, it seems like everybody wanted a 6'8", athletic big who could protect the rim. From what I've seen, Grootfaam is that guy. But now we want him to score 20 points a game as well? If we're looking for Draymond Green, he is already under contract with the warriors. I am hopeful that Grootfaam can add another dimension to this team and make us better. At the very least he will add some diversity to the names on the roster.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 2nd, 2018, 10:39 am

2004AG wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 9:22 am
Isby needs a throw a temper tantrum line Ainge did. Maybe that will get him more playing time.

Somehow I don't even think that would work. We need to just give in and have his name changed to Isn'tby. Or Won'tby.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 2nd, 2018, 10:48 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 10:38 am
utaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

I'm good with Taylor having a scholarship, as it appears that he is earning it and is our second best post player after Brown. On a good Aggie team, he might still be a back-up, scholarship player.

I like Brito. It seems like he makes good things happen when he is out on the court. He has great awareness and I think he makes the team better, even if his stats aren't stellar. Ashworth is a player I think you take a chance on. As a state school, we should always keep our eyes open for in-state players who might be underrecruited, maybe Ashworth is that guy? I don't know, but time will tell.

Grootfaam seems to be the physical guy down low everyone is clamoring for, but now everyone is upset that he doesn't score a lot. From what I remember, it seems like everybody wanted a 6'8", athletic big who could protect the rim. From what I've seen, Grootfaam is that guy. But now we want him to score 20 points a game as well? If we're looking for Draymond Green, he is already under contract with the warriors. I am hopeful that Grootfaam can add another dimension to this team and make us better. At the very least he will add some diversity to the names on the roster.

He does bring a good vowel to consonant ratio.

Eutaw St. Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 2nd, 2018, 11:12 am

utaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

You shouldn't be good with Taylor having a scholarship. Prior to his mission, Taylor was recruited to a pedestrian Aggie team as a walk-on. He may not have been a walk-on for a good Aggie team. Please don't be blinded to the fact that the only reason he puts up the numbers that he does, is because we don't have ANYONE else to do it. The position has been grossly underrecruited for nearly 8 years now. Again, this is nothing against Taylor, he has simply parlayed the horrible recruiting job done by the coaching staff into his good fortune. If anything, Taylor took advantage of the coaching staffs ineptitude when it comes to recruiting big men and he did what any smart kid would have done, he took adavantage of the staffs desperation to retain a "big" man.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 2nd, 2018, 11:20 am

aggies22 wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 11:12 am
utaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

You shouldn't be good with Taylor having a scholarship. Please don't be blinded to the fact that the only reason he puts up the numbers that he does, is because we don't have ANYONE else to do it. The position has been grossly underrecruited for nearly 8 years now. Again, this is nothing against Taylor, he has simply parlayed the horrible recruiting job done by the coaching staff into his good fortune. If anything, Taylor took advantage of the coaching staffs ineptitude when it comes to recruiting big men and he did what any smart kid would have done, he took adavantage of the staffs desperation to retain a "big" man.
You're probably right. You are definitely right about the position being grossly underrecruited. Why is that? I have been happy with Brown, however. Hopefully Grootfaam is a nice compliment to him.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » February 2nd, 2018, 11:36 am

Per the advanced stats posted in another thread, Taylor is 2nd on the team in box plus/minus and 3rd on the team in true shooting %. Obviously advanced stats don't tell the whole story, but both stats and the eye test show Quinn has been good for us and has more than held his own out there. It's not like he's being completely dominated every night. I completely understand the mindset of wishing that we had better guys in front of him so that he wouldn't have to play so big a role on this team, and I agree, but IMO Taylor has absolutely proven himself worthy of a scholarship this year by the way he's played. I think he's every bit as good as Matt Formisano, who was a scholarship big man at the end of the bench for some of the best Aggie teams in recent memory. The manner in which he came to get a scholarship is irrelevant at this point.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 2nd, 2018, 11:57 am

aggieguy13 wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 11:36 am
Per the advanced stats posted in another thread, Taylor is 2nd on the team in box plus/minus and 3rd on the team in true shooting %. Obviously advanced stats don't tell the whole story, but both stats and the eye test show Quinn has been good for us and has more than held his own out there. It's not like he's being completely dominated every night. I completely understand the mindset of wishing that we had better guys in front of him so that he wouldn't have to play so big a role on this team, and I agree, but IMO Taylor has absolutely proven himself worthy of a scholarship this year by the way he's played. I think he's every bit as good as Matt Formisano, who was a scholarship big man at the end of the bench for some of the best Aggie teams in recent memory. The manner in which he came to get a scholarship is irrelevant at this point.
That's good to know. Like I mentioned above, he hasn't looked terrible to me. I was actually going to compare him to Formisano, but I could remember his name for the life of me. I could see Taylor playing that backup scholarship role on a pretty good team. Maybe 10-15 minutes each game.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 2nd, 2018, 12:17 pm

aggies22 wrote:
You shouldn't be good with Taylor having a scholarship. Prior to his mission, Taylor was recruited to a pedestrian Aggie team as a walk-on. He may not have been a walk-on for a good Aggie team. Please don't be blinded to the fact that the only reason he puts up the numbers that he does, is because we don't have ANYONE else to do it. The position has been grossly underrecruited for nearly 8 years now. Again, this is nothing against Taylor, he has simply parlayed the horrible recruiting job done by the coaching staff into his good fortune. If anything, Taylor took advantage of the coaching staffs ineptitude when it comes to recruiting big men and he did what any smart kid would have done, he took adavantage of the staffs desperation to retain a "big" man.
Disagree. While he may not be the most athletic player on the floor, Taylor passes both the eye test and the stats test in terms of making positive contributions to the team. The Aggies have never been able to go 10 deep, even with their good teams. The team with the best record in Aggie history gave significant playing time to guys like Matt Formisano who played solid D, but didn't provide much else, and Stavon Williams, who was never anything more than a role player who could hit threes at a solid clip. Other guys like Ben Clifford, Nate Bendall, Mike Ahmad, Dmitri Jorssen, and Jeremy Vague never contributed much more -- or in some cases not even as much -- as Taylor has, but I don't recall a bunch of fans saying they shouldn't ever have received scholarships. The reality is that not every big man in an Aggie uniform can be Nate Harris, Spencer Nelson, Tai Wesley, Gary Wilkinson, or Shawn Daniels, but that doesn't mean they don't contribute something positive. Even on a better Aggie team than we currently field, I wouldn't have a problem with Taylor getting a scholarship. Hard to find a 6-7 F/C who stretches the floor with a career .453 3P% and has a career NetRtg of +19.5.

NOTE: I hadn't yet read the two posts immediately above when I posted this. Funny we all thought of Formisano as a point of comparison.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » February 2nd, 2018, 12:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:

I'm good with Taylor having a scholarship, as it appears that he is earning it and is our second best post player after Brown. On a good Aggie team, he might still be a back-up, scholarship player.* * *
At home with aggies22:

22junior: hey dad! I made the varsity, and it looks like I'm going to be starting this week. Remember how I was the last guy picked at the scrimmage two years ago? All my hard work paid off! Aren't you proud of me?

aggies22: hell no, son. You sucked then, and you still suck, just not as bad. If your team didn't suck so bad now, you'd still be the last scrub off the bench. Don't bother me -- I'm watching videos of your older brothers.

;)

Nobody here knows anything.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 2nd, 2018, 1:03 pm

OKAggie wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 12:52 pm
At home with aggies22:

22junior: hey dad! I made the varsity, and it looks like I'm going to be starting this week. Remember how I was the last guy picked at the scrimmage two years ago? All my hard work paid off! Aren't you proud of me?

aggies22: hell no, son. You sucked then, and you still suck, just not as bad. If your team didn't suck so bad now, you'd still be the last scrub off the bench. Don't bother me -- I'm watching videos of your older brothers.

;)
:lol:

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 2nd, 2018, 1:07 pm

OKAggie wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 12:52 pm
aggies22 wrote:

I'm good with Taylor having a scholarship, as it appears that he is earning it and is our second best post player after Brown. On a good Aggie team, he might still be a back-up, scholarship player.* * *
At home with aggies22:

;)
I've always enjoyed aggies22's posts, but this had me rolling! So funny.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » February 2nd, 2018, 2:11 pm

I think and hear that Crew will join Isby in the doghouse. He earned the pine after his tirade at coaches on the bench. It was not a fun thing to hear. Good grief

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » February 2nd, 2018, 2:13 pm

How is that related to topic? Headed on this thread "Wasted scholarship?"

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 2nd, 2018, 2:46 pm

aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

I strongly disagree. Taylor is one of the most efficient contributors on the team. He puts up great numbers and plays smart basketball. The fact that he was recruited as a walk-on is and should be completely irrelevant. He earned his scholarship and deserves it.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 2nd, 2018, 3:01 pm

buckfever wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 2:13 pm
How is that related to topic? Headed on this thread "Wasted scholarship?"
Are you talking to yourself, Buck?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 2nd, 2018, 4:29 pm

treesap32 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

I strongly disagree. Taylor is one of the most efficient contributors on the team. He puts up great numbers and plays smart basketball. The fact that he was recruited as a walk-on is and should be completely irrelevant. He earned his scholarship and deserves it.
IMO, this should be framed as to whether he should playing this much. Every team needs scholarship role players but not 10 of them like we have now.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » February 2nd, 2018, 5:28 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:Per the advanced stats posted in another thread, Taylor is 2nd on the team in box plus/minus and 3rd on the team in true shooting %. Obviously advanced stats don't tell the whole story, but both stats and the eye test show Quinn has been good for us and has more than held his own out there. It's not like he's being completely dominated every night. I completely understand the mindset of wishing that we had better guys in front of him so that he wouldn't have to play so big a role on this team, and I agree, but IMO Taylor has absolutely proven himself worthy of a scholarship this year by the way he's played. I think he's every bit as good as Matt Formisano, who was a scholarship big man at the end of the bench for some of the best Aggie teams in recent memory. The manner in which he came to get a scholarship is irrelevant at this point.

Formisano had the worst hands of anyone I ever seen play, he could not catch a cold.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 2nd, 2018, 5:43 pm

I guess you never saw Ostertag play

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » February 2nd, 2018, 8:22 pm

Madmategan. It is amazing that I indeed get athletic scholie. Under track coach Ralph Maughan
This is the first time I have ever mentioned it
Yikes. My son beat Jalen Moore in state high jump championship Whipped me. He turned down USU track scholie. Took huntsman and is doing very well at Morgan -Stanley
Though I was a good athlete. All four sons were way better. Mad mart These young players amaze me.
I was just sayin one is too mouthy to coaches
To Ralph Maughan. It was Yes Sir

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » February 2nd, 2018, 8:28 pm

Old buck. He jumped ok. Well enough to keep scholie. Had a few Leaps that gave me top honors till those kids were jumping around 7 feet here
Gawrsh wow.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » February 2nd, 2018, 9:44 pm

OKAggie wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 8:30 am
newhouse9 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 11:18 pm
Does anyone else immediately think of Micky Rooney when they see Crew Ainge playing? Or is it just me?
Nobody under the age of 60 knows what you're talking about :)
I'm only 53!

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » February 3rd, 2018, 9:01 am

aggieguy13 wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 11:36 am
Pretty sure Formisano was a walk-on. His buzzer beater against UCSB early in 2008-9 season is one of my favorite random Aggie moments. That team doesn't hit 30 wins without that shot!

Totally agree with your evaluation of Taylor. While scholarships would go to more talented players in a perfect world, the decision to give him a scholarship was made after it was quite clear USU basketball was nowhere near a perfect world. It was a wise choice and Taylor has absolutely justified it with his play.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 3rd, 2018, 2:13 pm

buckfever wrote:
February 2nd, 2018, 8:22 pm
Madmategan. It is amazing that I indeed get athletic scholie. Under track coach Ralph Maughan
Yikes. My son beat Jalen Moore in state high jump championship Whipped me. He turned down USU track scholie. Took huntsman and is doing very well at Morgan -Stanley
Though I was a good athlete. All four sons were way better. Mad mart These young players amaze me.
buckfever wrote:
Old buck. He jumped ok. Well enough to keep scholie. Had a few Leaps that gave me top honors till those kids were jumping around 7 feet here
Gawrsh wow.
I'll admit I don't pay much attention to actual identities and speculation about identities of various posters on this site, but will someone remind me if buck = trout? These posts are giving me flashbacks.

feeah

Post by feeah » February 3rd, 2018, 2:39 pm

treesap32 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

I agree with tresap Taylor is our best post defender, he rebounds well especially on the offensive end.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 3rd, 2018, 6:06 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
buckfever wrote:
buckfever wrote:
Gawrsh wow.
I'll admit I don't pay much attention to actual identities and speculation about identities of various posters on this site, but will someone remind me if buck = trout? These posts are giving me flashbacks.
Buck is legit. Trout is to be determined.

Hail Aggies!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 3rd, 2018, 8:36 pm

MarioWest wrote:
February 3rd, 2018, 9:01 am
Pretty sure Formisano was a walk-on. His buzzer beater against UCSB early in 2008-9 season is one of my favorite random Aggie moments. That team doesn't hit 30 wins without that shot!
I was in attendance at that game. Remember it like it was yesterday!

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 5th, 2018, 11:58 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2018, 6:06 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
buckfever wrote:
buckfever wrote:
Gawrsh wow.
Buck is legit. Trout is to be determined.

Buck not to question your son beating jalen moore, but what year was that? I don't remember jalen ever doing high jump in track. My son played against him in basketball and then did track, and I went to all the meets and don't remember seeing jalen jump.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 5th, 2018, 12:02 pm

found it!! sorry for doubting you. It was when jalen was a sophmore. it looks like the height was 6'1". Nice job!!

gametime12
Been thanked: 0

Post by gametime12 » February 7th, 2018, 9:01 am

Aggie-Man wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 3:38 pm
gametime12 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 8:56 am
Aggie-Man wrote:
January 31st, 2018, 10:47 pm
Maybe it's time to bring in Bean.
I think Bean is a red-shirt this year- at least that's what the program said. With all the injuries, the bench is going to be thin for the foreseeable future.
I did not know that. He dresses for the games???
Yes, I think that's pretty typical for emergency purposes (injuries, etc.). Obviously they wouldn't pull the redshirt this late in the season unless it was an absolute emergency.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 7th, 2018, 9:35 am

Aggie-Man wrote:
By all means.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 7th, 2018, 10:39 am

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » February 7th, 2018, 2:26 pm

USU78 wrote:
February 7th, 2018, 9:35 am
Aggie-Man wrote:
By all means.
I was thinking more along the lines of Butter Bean...

Locked Previous topicNext topic