Randy Rahe

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bwcrc

Re: Randy Rahe

Post by bwcrc » March 12th, 2018, 9:10 am

Randy Rahe runs an okay program but is not the coach I would want. USU's average Kenpom ranking since 2013 is 126 while Weber's is 165. Our highest ranking during that time is 108 and lowest was 136. Weber's highest was 71 and lowest was 266. Both teams' highest came in 2013 and was the only year Weber had a higher ranking during this period than USU. While Weber has some inherent disadvantages based on its conference, the standard deviation of 63 is very telling, especially when compared to USU's being 10. To me this shows Weber is very inconsistent and a lot of inconsistency sits squarely on the coach. I would rather have a coach that is either consistently successful or, at a minimum, trending in the direction with improvement.

(Note: I only went to 2013 because my ambition to look back any further ran out.)

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 12th, 2018, 1:21 pm

I wouldn't be opposed to Rahe, but I don't think it is the kind of hire that will bring back the fanbase. We need a hire that energizes the fans and program.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 12th, 2018, 2:10 pm

I like Rahe and think he is a good coach, but I really hope he isn't the choice. It would feel like the Duryea hire to me - a lazy, easy, content with mediocrity choice. I want to have a top of the heap, sometimes nationally ranked, high mid-major program that competes for MW conference titles most years. Rahe doesn't give us that, in my opinion. I feel like it would be more of the same.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer » March 12th, 2018, 2:51 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 10:53 pm
Yossarian wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 10:29 pm
Article in the Deseret News says Rahe is makiing $391K at Weber State. Duryea was making $227K at USU. You think Rahe would take a pay cut for the pleasure of coaching at USU? The answer is no. And I don't see USU coming up with $400K for a new coach. The Aggies are going to have to catch lightning in a bottle with a young up-and-comer coach that is looking for his/her first head coaching gig. I don't see USU paying the type of money it will take to get a proven coach with other options.
If we can't get AT LEAST 400k for the next head coach (maybe 500k) then we might as well dump basketball. I think the reasons for giving Duryea less (and I think Rock got the numbers wrong, I swear Duryea was in the 300's, plus Collette wasn't punched in the face, if we all remember, so the article isn't exactly the most accurate) was because of 1. Stew's payout of his contract, and 2. because the AD knew he wasn't a homerun hire and were able to pay him less. Where else was he going?
Forgive me if this has been covered already, but I don't understand why we are still paying Stew if he chose to retire? He had it written into his contract that he would get paid after he stopped coaching? :headscratch:

dogie

Post by dogie » March 12th, 2018, 3:02 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 10:49 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Article in the Deseret News says Rahe is makiing $391K at Weber State. Duryea was making $227K at USU. You think Rahe would take a pay cut for the pleasure of coaching at USU? The answer is no. And I don't see USU coming up with $400K for a new coach. The Aggies are going to have to catch lightning in a bottle with a young up-and-comer coach that is looking for his/her first head coaching gig. I don't see USU paying the type of money it will take to get a proven coach with other options.
Stew made far more than that. Duryea got a smaller contract because USU took a chance on him.
That's exactly right. USU made a couple of questionable calls in hiring Duryea (i.e., finding the "most qualified candidate at the end of the bench" and giving him what they called a five-year contract). At least I have to admit that they didn't overpay him. I'm sure USU could have paid Duryea $650,000, but the results would have been the same except for the transfer of more money from the athletics department to the coach.

dogie

Post by dogie » March 12th, 2018, 3:07 pm

afausu wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 11:13 pm
usufan5477 wrote:My vote would be for Randy Rahe. All he has done is win at Weber State. It is hard to win for a couple of years. Really hard to win for 10 like he has. He is a great recruiter and coach.
Let me guess. . .your second choice would be Don Verlin? We know now that you’re not Tim (had me fooled). Are you Stew?
At first glance, this is an intriguing theory - which doesn't pass any kind of scrutiny. With the way that Stew sent players packing after half a season of underperformance, how long ago do you think Stew as the athletics director would have fired Duryea? I guarantee it wouldn't have taken three full seasons, even given the fact that Duryea was his long-time assistant.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 12th, 2018, 3:13 pm

dogie wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 3:07 pm
afausu wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 11:13 pm
usufan5477 wrote:My vote would be for Randy Rahe. All he has done is win at Weber State. It is hard to win for a couple of years. Really hard to win for 10 like he has. He is a great recruiter and coach.
Let me guess. . .your second choice would be Don Verlin? We know now that you’re not Tim (had me fooled). Are you Stew?
At first glance, this is an intriguing theory - which doesn't pass any kind of scrutiny. With the way that Stew sent players packing after half a season of underperformance, how long ago do you think Stew as the athletics director would have fired Duryea? I guarantee it wouldn't have taken three full seasons, even given the fact that Duryea was his long-time assistant.
Duryea pretty much would have gotten 3 seasons regardless who was the AD. That is pretty standard unless he was doing something illegal or embarrassing. He was fired at the right time.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 12th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Lightbringer wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 2:51 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 10:53 pm
Yossarian wrote:
If we can't get AT LEAST 400k for the next head coach (maybe 500k) then we might as well dump basketball. I think the reasons for giving Duryea less (and I think Rock got the numbers wrong, I swear Duryea was in the 300's, plus Collette wasn't punched in the face, if we all remember, so the article isn't exactly the most accurate) was because of 1. Stew's payout of his contract, and 2. because the AD knew he wasn't a homerun hire and were able to pay him less. Where else was he going?
Forgive me if this has been covered already, but I don't understand why we are still paying Stew if he chose to retire? He had it written into his contract that he would get paid after he stopped coaching? :headscratch:
I don't think we're still paying Stew, but I think when he left he was still under contract for a few years, like through 2017 or 2018 or something like that. Someone has probably looked up Stew's final contract and knows, but I don't think he just walked away from all the money? I could be wrong.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 12th, 2018, 6:58 pm

But Stew absolutely was not fired. He left completely on his own terms so why would he still be getting paid?

stang

Post by stang » March 14th, 2018, 5:44 pm

USUBlue wrote:
usufan5477 wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 7:58 pm
My vote would be for Randy Rahe. All he has done is win at Weber State. It is hard to win for a couple of years. Really hard to win for 10 like he has. He is a great recruiter and coach.
Given your history and credibility with coaches, even though I like Randy, I would now have to put him last on my list simply because you support him.
It is interesting how I haven’t seen Blue put out the name of a single candidate yet. I guess that way he can reserve the right to (I can't express myself without swearing) and moan regardless of who we hire

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 14th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Rahe hasn’t even been contacted. He is not on the radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 14th, 2018, 5:55 pm

LOLZ - we're talking about hiring Rahe and Weber fans want him FIRED: https://www.bigskyfans.com/wildcats/vie ... f=2&t=5801 :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

stang

Post by stang » March 14th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Agreed, I wouldn’t want to touch Rahe with a ten foot pole. I just want some names from Blue so that way there are at least the possibility of us not having to hear him whine for a little while.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » March 14th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 6:58 pm
But Stew absolutely was not fired. He left completely on his own terms so why would he still be getting paid?
A retirement plan offered through his employment with the university, perhaps...? :noidea: I have no clue how that works with coaches lol if he’s getting paid it’s probably just finishing out his contract. It was probably negotiated when he announced his intention to retire

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 15th, 2018, 2:18 pm

nswaggie wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 11:41 pm
This hire needs to generate excitement. Rahe has failed more often than succeeded when stakes are high. I would have preferred keeping TD for one more year than spend the next 3 or 4 years with Rahe. I want more than just regular season results. Rahe would be the safe hire, IMO we probably need to take some risk with our next hire.
I'll happily accept regular season MWC titles on a consistent basis. Where do I sign? That would guarantee NIT berth's every year and likely at large bids to the big dance most years.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 15th, 2018, 3:35 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 15th, 2018, 2:18 pm
nswaggie wrote:
This hire needs to generate excitement. Rahe has failed more often than succeeded when stakes are high. I would have preferred keeping TD for one more year than spend the next 3 or 4 years with Rahe. I want more than just regular season results. Rahe would be the safe hire, IMO we probably need to take some risk with our next hire.
I'll happily accept regular season MWC titles on a consistent basis. Where do I sign? That would guarantee NIT berth's every year and likely at large bids to the big dance most years.
I'm not sure about Randy even though he's had very good success at Weber -- and success tends to translate from level to level. But, I would certainly take MWC championships regular season or tournament -- I'll let post season take care of itself when we get there.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 16th, 2018, 2:43 am

USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
I'm not sure about Randy even though he's had very good success at Weber -- and success tends to translate from level to level. But, I would certainly take MWC championships regular season or tournament -- I'll let post season take care of itself when we get there.
How can you be unsure about Rahe? After all, it is all about wins and losses. Right?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 16th, 2018, 6:48 am

ViAggie wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 5:55 pm
LOLZ - we're talking about hiring Rahe and Weber fans want him FIRED: https://www.bigskyfans.com/wildcats/vie ... f=2&t=5801 :lol:
Rahe is not on my list of folks that I want as a coach but the fact that some Weber fans want him fired makes no difference to me. Many people on this board were complaining about Stew before he quit. Jazz fans were whining frequently about Sloan. It goes with the territory. No matter who we fire the same folks will be taking shots at our new coach.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 16th, 2018, 9:05 am

dyedblue wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 2:43 am
USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
How can you be unsure about Rahe? After all, it is all about wins and losses. Right?

It is about wins and losses which is exactly why I wouldn't take Rahe. I understand that Rahe has beaten USU the past couple of years but so have a lot of other teams that wouldn't normally beat us. I still see Rahe as an underachiever. As I look at this season, I see a 30 point loss to UVU. I see them barely scraping out a home win against a very poor Pepperdine team. I see a first round exit in their conference tournament to a mediocre team. It seems to be the same story every year at Weber State. They pick up a couple of wins here and there along the way but I don't see Weber being where I want USU to be. I keep reading that all Weber does is wins. That they own the Big Sky and dominate it year in and year out. The facts say that they don't.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 16th, 2018, 9:38 am

You do have to Admit that Rahe has done better than Duryea did though. He's probably averaging 20 wins per season over the last 8-10 years there, or however long he's been there. Including several conference titles, and maybe a conference tournament title or two.

He has proven to choke in the conference tournament after great regular season results. And he has had one bad year (13 wins) mixed in there with a couple mediocre years (17-19 wins). The rest are 20+ win seasons with a 30 win season a few years back.

He hasn't dominated but he has been good for Weber.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 16th, 2018, 9:43 am

treesap32 wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 9:38 am
You do have to Admit that Rahe has done better than Duryea did though. He's probably averaging 20 wins per season over the last 8-10 years there, or however long he's been there. Including several conference titles, and maybe a conference tournament title or two.

He has proven to choke in the conference tournament after great regular season results. And he has had one bad year (13 wins) mixed in there with a couple mediocre years (17-19 wins). The rest are 20+ win seasons with a 30 win season a few years back.

He has done better than Duryea...but my standard for USU isn't "better than Duryea." It's much higher than that.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 16th, 2018, 9:54 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 9:43 am
treesap32 wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 9:38 am

He has done better than Duryea...but my standard for USU isn't "better than Duryea." It's much higher than that.
Well, let's hope we can get someone better than Duryea and better than Rahe. I'd be very happy if that comes to fruition.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » March 16th, 2018, 2:24 pm

I don’t like to see you two fight in public.

Hail Aggies!

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 19th, 2018, 6:32 pm

dyedblue wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 2:43 am
USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
nswaggie wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I like Randy a lot. But it's been years since he has been at USU, so an interview would be a great idea to hear what he thinks. I agree -- it is about wins and losses. So Randy should be considered (he's been successful at Weber), but others are successful too. I'd want to hear their visions and energy for the program; and how they plan on recruiting and winning back the fans.
Last edited by USUBlue on March 20th, 2018, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 19th, 2018, 6:46 pm

I say no to Rahe. Let's get some new blood. usufan5477 either has to be a close family member of one of the old regime, someone deeply involved with the Stew and Duryea regimes, or the immortal Stew himself. There is no other way he/she kept pushing for more time for Duryea and now wants another Stew acolyte.

I am just hoping that whoever comes can bring a solid MWC-caliber big with him to make the most of our guards for the next two years.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » March 19th, 2018, 6:47 pm

jpswensen wrote:I say no to Rahe. Let's get some new blood. usufan5477 either has to be a close family member of one of the old regime, someone deeply involved with the Stew and Duryea regimes, or the immortal Stew himself. There is no other way he/she kept pushing for more time for Duryea and now wants another Stew acolyte.

I am just hoping that whoever comes can bring a solid MWC-caliber big with him to make the most of our guards for the next two years.
The fact he’s not in CAPS rules out someone.

Hail Aggies!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 19th, 2018, 6:50 pm

stang wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 5:44 pm
USUBlue wrote:
usufan5477 wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 7:58 pm
My vote would be for Randy Rahe. All he has done is win at Weber State. It is hard to win for a couple of years. Really hard to win for 10 like he has. He is a great recruiter and coach.
Given your history and credibility with coaches, even though I like Randy, I would now have to put him last on my list simply because you support him.
It is interesting how I haven’t seen Blue put out the name of a single candidate yet. I guess that way he can reserve the right to b**** and moan regardless of who we hire

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Locked Previous topicNext topic