Road Shows

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
slcagg

Road Shows

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Anyone been able to attend any of the road shows? If so any nuggets of information? I'm curious how attendance has been. It seems like there isn't hardly any marketing for these.

donlarson8

Re: Road Shows

Post by donlarson8 » May 7th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Scottsdale was pretty poorly attended. Probably because it was on a Monday night at a hotel in Scottsdale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00Aggie

Post by 00Aggie » May 9th, 2018, 1:52 pm

I attended the Idaho Falls Road Show. I would guess there were around 40 in attendance. Nothing to report that hasn't been discussed here already. I'm feeling quite optimistic about football next year and am looking forward to seeing what Coach Smith will be able to do in hoops. Thanks to the AD, and Cafe Sabor (shameless plug) for putting this on and building some excitement for us southeast Idaho Aggies.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 9th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Attended the Las Vegas one last night. There were 25 people in attendance, although 10-12 of those were staff traveling with the road show. If there was ever a time you wanted to engage with a coach one on one, this is the event! I got to sit and talk with coach Smith for 20 min. or so and found him to be very genuine and down to earth. His family has yet to move out from SD so he's sort of living the bachelor life right now which is probably for the better with the amount of time he has to spend on recruiting and putting a staff together. He has a great sense of humor and seems to be focused on getting the program on a winning track. Kevin Nixon was also in attendance and I got to talk to him for a while toward the end. I didn't know this but I guess he is a coach at Bishop Gorman.

Summary of what was talked about:
Hartwell -
  • Announced the current budget is a little over $35M but that we are still 10th out of 11 full MWC members. Also mentioned that the top 4 are all over $45M and that we need to make a push to work our way up the list but did not lay out a plan of how to do so.
  • Announced the recent academic success of all athletic programs as compared to the rest of the conference
  • Announced the repeat championship of the men's tennis team
Smith -
  • Talked about loving Logan so far and how much he relies on coach Wells for advice on where to take recruits and what to showcase about USU.
  • He and coach Wells really went back and forth at each other all night giving one another a hard time about how easy the other one's job is compared to their own. Coach Smith pointed out that football is so easy because you have 3 teams and players only have to play one position. He said that basketball players have to play both defense, offense, transition, basically everything on the court while football players only have to do one of those things and only have to do it full speed for 5 seconds and then they get to rest for 30 seconds in between. He also made some jabs about coach Wells being geographically challenged and that if the place they're talking about isn't in Oklahoma then he doesn't now where it is.
  • Mentioned a need to still bring in a big man - he was hopeful about a grad transfer "beast" as he called him. (Maybe the aircraft carrier dream is still alive?) Also mentioned that he needed one more assistant but did not say he was close to making that decision.
  • Gave a quick run down of each new signed player and what he expects from each. Nothing really stood out about this part, it is basically what we all know already. The only part that I found interesting was when talking about Fakira, he said that while he is athletic, he is not a big scorer, and really prides himself on doing the dirty work. He loves screening, rebounding, and getting points off put backs. If that is the case it sounds like we could really use an offensively skilled big man.
  • Admitted that when he first thought about this job he watched hours of YouTube videos of the Spectrum and all the chants and recordings of the atmosphere, Wild Bill, etc., and said it was one of the craziest places he remembers so it's hard to believe he's now the HC at this place. He also vowed to do everything he could to return the "magic" to the Spectrum.
Wells-
  • Mentioned that the defense is coming together nicely and that Tipa Galeai and Fua Leilua will both contribute in big ways right away. He said Galeai will start at LB for sure. The main concern on D is how to replace Leavitt and Davis in the secondary but also said there are several guys in the running to fill those holes.
  • Came back at coach Smith with a jab about having well over a hundred players in football and only like 12 coaches while basketball has 13 players and like 6 coaches so it's obvious that basketball is the easier job. He also added that they are "pampered" by getting to play in 72 degree perfect weather all the time and no wind. He did admit that coach Smith was correct and that he was geographically challenged. He said coach Smith said something one day about Abu Dhabi and coach Wells thought he was talking about Abu Wilson.
  • Mentioned that we are at a point in the program now that he doesn't have to sell USU like they did when Gary first came in. He said they find that kids and their parents are much more aware of who and where USU is mainly because of recent bowls and TV exposure. He said facility upgrades have also played a huge role in getting a higher level of athlete to come to Logan than ever before.
  • Specifically mentioned having a great basketball program being one of the reasons that football was able to get off the floor. Without what the Spectrum was, it would have been near impossible but bringing recruits in there and letting them see what four thousand students and a packed house looked like while they chanted "Aggie Football!" changed everything with several key recruits. He said he would like to see it return to that again because it was such a crucial weapon in these recruiting wars.
  • Mentioned that we will definitely have 3 Senior OL fighting for 2 starting spots because one redshirt Freshman (Alfred Edwards) is taking one of the starting spots. He said it is a rare position to be in where Seniors with starting experience are fighting one another to still be a starter but Edwards is just that dominant.
Overall, it was a pretty cool experience. I sat at Pres. Cockett's table and spoke to her as well. She said that while she's been at USU for nearly 30 years she wasn't always into sports that much and certainly didn't understand the money that it took to run a program or be a member of the MWC until she was president. Now she has come to understand how much she hates losing and USU athletics has sort of become a new passion for her. I was glad to hear that because that sort of meshes with the accounts we heard about her prior to her being named the new President. Many people said she didn't care or wouldn't care about athletics but it sounds like she certainly does now which is what matters.

I will also add that coach Smith mentioned that I would be happy to not have to travel far for some non-conference games this next year. He said look for a mid-November tourney event in Vegas and that right now it looks like Arizona St. and Mississippi St. would be the guaranteed matchups. That would jive with what was reported in the Clarion Ledger a few days ago: https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 574911002/ I believe this tourney is called the MGM Resorts Main Event which was played at T-Mobile Arena last year.

GUS

Post by GUS » May 9th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Great report Aglicious. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was actually attending these events.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 9th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Yes, much appreciated. I love hearing the updates.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 9th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Great summary, Aglicious.

A couple things:

It does make me raise an eyebrow to learn that the president of the university didn't know what it takes to run a competitive athletics department

When Wells was talking about USU name recognition lately and how bowl games and televised games have brought exposure to the program, that would have been a good time to ask about the shaft USU got on the TV schedule this year. Did he talk about that at all?

Very concerning to learn that we STILL don't have an offensive threat in the post on the basketball team.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 9th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 3:40 pm
Great summary, Aglicious.

A couple things:

It does make me raise an eyebrow to learn that the president of the university didn't know what it takes to run a competitive athletics department

When Wells was talking about USU name recognition lately and how bowl games and televised games have brought exposure to the program, that would have been a good time to ask about the shaft USU got on the TV schedule this year. Did he talk about that at all?

Very concerning to learn that we STILL don't have an offensive threat in the post on the basketball team.
I think when you're a provost or dean of a college like she has been, your focus is on your own department and those in your stewardship. Unless you're at a level where that becomes a part of your stewardship, I can't imagine spending time getting familiar with the workings of the athletic department any more than another college or department on campus.

I will say that Pres. Cockett was the first one to greet me and the last one to say goodnight on the way out. She personally introduced herself to every person at the event, learned names, and engaged with everyone. She is a great ambassador, there is no doubt about that. Coach Smith and Wells did the same....

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 9th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Aglicious, thank you!!!!!

Did Wells say anything about WRs or WRs coming? I still find depth here to be a glaring need. We just have Tarver and then a bunch of tiny guys.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 9th, 2018, 4:40 pm

I'm 50/50 about going to the San Diego RS tonight... we'll see

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

GUS

Post by GUS » May 9th, 2018, 4:57 pm

You need to go ViAggie and ask the hard questions. Then give us a full report. ;)

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 9th, 2018, 5:19 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Did Wells say anything about WRs or WRs coming? I still find depth here to be a glaring need. We just have Tarver and then a bunch of tiny guys.
Yes, I forgot that part. When he gave a summary of the WR's he said look for #1 to see the ball a lot and that Scarver should step up this season into a bigger role and then mentioned the same thing you said, that we basically have a few smaller quick options like Vaughns and Nathan. He said he couldn't say much right now but they will be adding a transfer in the summer (not sure if JuCo or grad) but said they would be available immediately. He mentioned we beat several P5 schools out for him and that the player had a specific agenda of factors which were the ability to get immediate playing time, who the QB would be, and what the situation is of the returning OL. He said they sat down and threw on film of Love throwing the ball last season, took a look at the returning OL personnel and the guy said "Yep, this is where I want to play."

I wanted to ask if we could expect RB by committee again this season or if he thought Darwin or someone else could win a lead back role but we ran out of time. I also wanted to ask if he thought we had a home run threat on offense, someone who could score at any touch of the ball or someone the opponent had to game plan for....like Pennyman, Morrison, Jojo, etc. To me it seems like we have not had this type of player for a couple if seasons now and it hurts not having those extra points on the board or that sudden momentum swing they provide that can change the entire game in a single touch.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 9th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 5:19 pm
swishh_15 wrote:

Yes, I forgot that part. When he gave a summary of the WR's he said look for #1 to see the ball a lot and that Scarver should step up this season into a bigger role and then mentioned the same thing you said, that we basically have a few smaller quick options like Vaughns and Nathan. He said he couldn't say much right now but they will be adding a transfer in the summer (not sure if JuCo or grad) but said they would be available immediately. He mentioned we beat several P5 schools out for him and that the player had a specific agenda of factors which were the ability to get immediate playing time, who the QB would be, and what the situation is of the returning OL. He said they sat down and threw on film of Love throwing the ball last season, took a look at the returning OL personnel and the guy said "Yep, this is where I want to play."
That's awesome! Sounds like a kid with a good head for football and an eye for talent and scheme. I'm looking forward to learning who this is and seeing him play. Or her? That would be pretty cool, too!

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 9th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Agilcious, thank you. This is exactly the kind of post that my bosom loves.

I am really pleased to hear about the LB situation and the WR transfer we beat out some P5 schools for. BUT, I think the best news is that Alfred is a starting O-Lineman. He was a beast in the Spring scrimmage and I was going to be ticked if he didn’t get a starting role. That’s a great sign he beat out a senior lineman.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

bpd

Post by bpd » May 9th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Licious, that was fantastic. Interesting to hear about the grad transfer in basketball. I wonder if it is Torry Miller-Stewart from Colorado.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 9th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Thx for the updates, appears programs are on an upswing

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 10th, 2018, 6:56 am

Yes thank you aglicious. Especially excited for Edwards. My guess is andrus will move inside and replace iniguez.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 10th, 2018, 10:26 am

GUS wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 4:57 pm
You need to go ViAggie and ask the hard questions. Then give us a full report. ;)
I sucked it up and went, glad I did. It was held at a private residence in the hills overlooking Mission Bay in SD. Awesome location for an event like this. It was sparsely attended, I counted about 25 people in total, including President Cockett, Heartwell and Coach Smith. Matt Wells was not in attendance as he had to fly back to Oklahoma to tend to the sudden death of this Father (68 year old Dentist who died un-unexpectedly yesterday morning).

Other than that somber moment, the even was very positive. It was mostly former student athletes in attendance (couple for former FB players, Softball players, etc.) who are from or are now living in the SD area. No tough questions were asked, and the only thing that I heard from Heatwell that was new to me was about an un-named WR transfer from SC who's coming in and should be one of the best in the MW.

I got a chance to speak with Coach Smith briefly, the dude is a riot, he's everything you've heard and seen about him, all energy and very passionate. If nothing else he'll be our best cheerleader! President Crockett talked everyone's ear off and did a good job of assuring everyone that she was pro-Athletics, and even noted that she had to assure the interview panels that she would be when she was interviewing for the job. I didn't realize she had been at the University so long, and she knew of all of the prof's I had when I was there.

It was also good meeting some fellow Aggies who lived in the area.

Usurossco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » May 10th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Where could I find the roadshow schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 10th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Usurossco wrote:
May 10th, 2018, 1:10 pm
Where could I find the roadshow schedule?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45837

or

http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/m ... ip-18.html

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 10th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Probably should've posted this when I initially read this report, but I just wanted to say thank you to Aglicious.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

P.S. Can I count on you to be at the T-Mobile Arena Vegas event?

GUS

Post by GUS » May 10th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 5:19 pm
swishh_15 wrote:

I wanted to ask if we could expect RB by committee again this season or if he thought Darwin or someone else could win a lead back role but we ran out of time. I also wanted to ask if he thought we had a home run threat on offense, someone who could score at any touch of the ball or someone the opponent had to game plan for....like Pennyman, Morrison, Jojo, etc. To me it seems like we have not had this type of player for a couple if seasons now and it hurts not having those extra points on the board or that sudden momentum swing they provide that can change the entire game in a single touch.
Is the receiver Jalen Greene from USC?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 10th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Yep that's him (I think). I also think he's on campus now...

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 11th, 2018, 5:38 pm

One thing that seems to be the same is that the events were not well attended. I wonder how many more of these should take place given the amount of time spent by the President A.D. staff and both head coach's

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 11th, 2018, 9:56 pm

It’s not the size of the boat but the motion in the ocean.

Assuming that motion is signing their name to a large check.

Hail Aggies!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 13th, 2018, 10:22 am

That assuming hopefully has some truth to it. That kind of access should bring a lot of money we shall see.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 14th, 2018, 11:39 am

oleblu111 wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 5:38 pm
One thing that seems to be the same is that the events were not well attended. I wonder how many more of these should take place given the amount of time spent by the President A.D. staff and both head coach's

I would have liked to attended the one in the Bay Area. Having it during a work day, I would have had to take the entire day off to drive to the event and back and I had too much work to do to make that happen. If you are not in the immediate area of the event (within, say 20 miles), you are looking at over an hour one way to fight Bay Area traffic on a week day. It would have been two hours for me (one way) and that was not time I had to spend. I'm sure there were many others in the area that felt the same way.

On a separate note, I only found out about this event through this message board. If a person doesn't go to the official athletics website or read this board, how would he find out about the event? I like the idea of the road show and the attempt to reach out to alumni, but it seems like it needs to be advertised better, held in the evening or on a weekend, and located in areas of greater alumni concentration.

Eutaw St. Aggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 14th, 2018, 11:45 am

I like the idea of road shows. I agree that it probably needs to be better advertised. I'm thinking it was probably beneficial for the coaches, as they were probably out on the recruiting trail anyway. They just had to line up with each other and visit some alumni. I think if that's how it worked out, it was probably a pretty good use of time to build relationships with both alumni and recruits in these areas.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » May 14th, 2018, 11:56 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:I like the idea of road shows. I agree that it probably needs to be better advertised. I'm thinking it was probably beneficial for the coaches, as they were probably out on the recruiting trail anyway. They just had to line up with each other and visit some alumni. I think if that's how it worked out, it was probably a pretty good use of time to build relationships with both alumni and recruits in these areas.
The one in Scottsdale also coincided with some meetings that the AD had with the conference ADs and broadcast partners. I heard about the roadshow on social media and also got a phone call about it. I think they might get a little better attendance if it was on a Saturday morning and was a more family-friendly event.

inconspicuous

Post by inconspicuous » May 30th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 14th, 2018, 11:39 am
I would have liked to attended the one in the Bay Area. Having it during a work day, I would have had to take the entire day off to drive to the event and back and I had too much work to do to make that happen. If you are not in the immediate area of the event (within, say 20 miles), you are looking at over an hour one way to fight Bay Area traffic on a week day. It would have been two hours for me (one way) and that was not time I had to spend. I'm sure there were many others in the area that felt the same way.

On a separate note, I only found out about this event through this message board. If a person doesn't go to the official athletics website or read this board, how would he find out about the event? I like the idea of the road show and the attempt to reach out to alumni, but it seems like it needs to be advertised better, held in the evening or on a weekend, and located in areas of greater alumni concentration.
Same here. Having it at noon and in Alameda was just too hard to navigate for me. I am not sure if you are in any donor list or A Club etc. but I got a letter about a week prior and a phone call couple days before the event. I wish I could have make it work but was too far for me as well and I think given on your time estimate I am much closer than you.

Locked Previous topicNext topic