Tahi on Wells

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MWCFAN12

Re: Tahi on Wells

Post by MWCFAN12 » May 18th, 2018, 9:29 pm

I don't care what Wells did. You don't take it to Twitter like that. He has MW number call him. Be a man. Not a little child. He may have just cost him ever getting another job coaching ever.

And if a coach called asking Matt Wells about him as a reference, then good for Matt for telling what he really thought.

If you recommend him, and he turns out to be a turd that reflects on Matt.

You have a wife, kids, and claim to want to teach kids... You can't do this. It is inexcusable.

This has NOTHING to do with Matt Wells. I don't give a damn what he did. You can not act like this.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » May 18th, 2018, 9:51 pm

dyedblue wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 9:03 pm
Tahi was a graduate assistant and not a coach. In other words he was basically a scholarship coach who not only got tuition but $1,000 bucks on top. He knew the drill when he got hired so clearly not a case of Wells cheaping out on the guy.

Now if Wells was bad mouthing him, then that is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That answers my question. Full tuition plus a stipend is no shortage of dough, and if that’s the case it’s very untrue, not to mention ungrateful, to say he’s only getting $1000 a month for his work

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 18th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Interesting no one has mentioned Jaren Colston Green replied to the original tweet and said he agrees 100%.

So obviously another unhappy former player that felt wronged by Wells.

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » May 18th, 2018, 11:00 pm

The post by Tahi doesn’t mean much to me, comes across as sour grapes and someone who is very immature. The addition of Colsten Green however is concerning.

We have a lot of talent for next season, would hate to see the season not reach its potential from chemistry problems.

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » May 18th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:The post by Tahi doesn’t mean much to me, comes across as sour grapes and someone who is very immature. The addition of Colsten Green however is concerning.

We have a lot of talent for next season, would hate to see the season not reach its potential from chemistry problems.

Remind me how much playing time Colston Green got. Sort of just seems to reinforce the point a previous poster made.

Worth taking Tahi’s rant (and Colston Green’s agreement with it) with a grain of salt. This season will make or break Wells’ career, though.

antibluehair

Post by antibluehair » May 18th, 2018, 11:58 pm

Dismissing this is a very lazy way to look at it. I choose to take off the Aggie blue glasses and check my fanaticism at the door.
There is a lot of truth in Tahi's post.
He was passed over a bunch of times for Wells to employ his brother and others. He is grateful for finishing his degree but for the majority of his time at USU he was a Admin Assistant not enrolled in school.
He left in January and is not Coaching any more. I knew some former players would agree and some former coaches agree as well. Who has Wells promoted from within? He just did it with Unga. That was about it.
I think these are important details to consider.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 19th, 2018, 1:04 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 9:29 pm
I don't care what Wells did. You don't take it to Twitter like that. He has MW number call him. Be a man. Not a little child. He may have just cost him ever getting another job coaching ever.

And if a coach called asking Matt Wells about him as a reference, then good for Matt for telling what he really thought.

If you recommend him, and he turns out to be a turd that reflects on Matt.

You have a wife, kids, and claim to want to teach kids... You can't do this. It is inexcusable.

This has NOTHING to do with Matt Wells. I don't give a damn what he did. You can not act like this.
Yuup so true, I would not want him within a mile of my staff.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » May 19th, 2018, 6:03 am

sambonethegreat wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 11:34 pm
Cheecho6 wrote:The post by Tahi doesn’t mean much to me, comes across as sour grapes and someone who is very immature. The addition of Colsten Green however is concerning.

Remind me how much playing time Colston Green got. Sort of just seems to reinforce the point a previous poster made.

Worth taking Tahi’s rant (and Colston Green’s agreement with it) with a grain of salt. This season will make or break Wells’ career, though.

Yeah, you've all fed me so many grains of salt my sodium intake is at unhealthy levels. Tahi is a moron for posting this, but it seems to track the general sentiment of many who have been part of the program under Wells.

I find it more than a little disconcerting that there is no contingency of former players on the other side, sticking up for Wells, proclaiming his genuineness. It is naive to imply that the way players feel about a coach has no bearing on his success. We literally need look no further than our own program during the past decade to see the importance.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » May 19th, 2018, 7:24 am

I cannot speak to the issue with Wells. But for a BYU grad who regularly re-tweets quotes from LDS general authorities, that post is certainly unbecoming. Not very impressed with him.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 19th, 2018, 10:19 am

If it were the first we had heard of Wells in this tone I would dismiss it quickly. The problem is that it isn’t the first time we have heard this. Many other sources have shared the same opinion. It also seems to jive with what we see on the field with less than stellar play at the end of games. I hope it isn’t true, but I’m not going to just dismiss it either.

stang

Post by stang » May 19th, 2018, 10:23 am

I’ve seen several posts in this thread talking about others who have said similar things, but I really can’t recall many. Somebody help me out, who else that was close to the program has gone on public record dissing Wells other than this guy and Joe Tukuafu?

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » May 19th, 2018, 11:24 am

The questions should not be about Coach Wells it should be about Tahi who have you ever heard any players say that he was a good coach I haven't.

I have heard players say they like him but I have never heard anyone say that he is a good coach and there is a difference.

And this tweet and his response to subtweets is proof that the decision not Wells made to not bring him on as a coach was the right one he is clearly in mature and unstable

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » May 19th, 2018, 12:14 pm

antibluehair wrote:Dismissing this is a very lazy way to look at it. I choose to take off the Aggie blue glasses and check my fanaticism at the door.
He was passed over a bunch of times for Wells to employ his brother and others. He is grateful for finishing his degree but for the majority of his time at USU he was a Admin Assistant not enrolled in school.
He left in January and is not Coaching any more. I knew some former players would agree and some former coaches agree as well. Who has Wells promoted from within? He just did it with Unga. That was about it.
Is this about Luke or Fahu? Luke was hired long before Fahu came around. I don't know enough about all of our coaches, but who should be shown the door or not been hired in order to make room for Tahi?

A grad assistant can only be on staff for the duration of the grad program, up to three years. If he isn't coaching now that's on him not on Wells.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 19th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Is it possible Wells promised him a full time job and then reneged and went back on his word ?

sambonethegreat

Post by sambonethegreat » May 19th, 2018, 12:46 pm

dyedblue wrote:
antibluehair wrote:Dismissing this is a very lazy way to look at it. I choose to take off the Aggie blue glasses and check my fanaticism at the door.
Is this about Luke or Fahu? Luke was hired long before Fahu came around. I don't know enough about all of our coaches, but who should be shown the door or not been hired in order to make room for Tahi?

A grad assistant can only be on staff for the duration of the grad program, up to three years. If he isn't coaching now that's on him not on Wells.

Dude claims he wasn’t a GA. It’s on the Twitter thread.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 19th, 2018, 12:49 pm

It is obvious there is more to this story than we can read through a tweet.

JonnyCienPesos

Tahi on Wells

Post by JonnyCienPesos » May 19th, 2018, 12:59 pm

NVAggie wrote:It is obvious there is more to this story than we can read through a tweet.
That’s why it’s such a chicken (I can't express myself without swearing) play by Tahi. He knows Wells can’t/won’t tell his version publicly. So he goes completely unchallenged.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » May 19th, 2018, 1:43 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 12:59 pm
NVAggie wrote:It is obvious there is more to this story than we can read through a tweet.
That’s why it’s such a chicken (I can't express myself without swearing) play by Tahi. He knows Wells can’t/won’t tell his version publicly. So he goes completely unchallenged.

I agree. Real men settle their differences face to face. Regardless of how true any content of the tweet may be, this is pretty cowrdly.

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 19th, 2018, 2:44 pm

I’m pretty sure we’ve all had bosses we didn’t like or didn’t fully agree with but airing your grievances publicly through social media is a pretty good way to ensure future bosses think twice before hiring you. I know if I was looking to hire someone and saw that from a potential hire, it would be a HUGE red flag. Even IF (big IF) he is right, it’s a very poor way to handle it.

Wells’ future will be determined on the field. He wins, nobody cares if SOME people don’t like him. He loses, he’ll be fired because of the losses, not because SOME people don’t like him.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 19th, 2018, 6:20 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 7:57 pm
brownjeans wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 7:51 pm
2004AG wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 5:49 pm
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 4:02 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 2:17 pm
We can rip on Tahi here, but this is just yet another source talking about how fake Wells is and that players don't like him. We've heard this from quite a few different avenues now.
People don't like to acknowledge and accept this.
I can acknowledge and accept that players don't like him, but that isn't actionable by itself.

Tahi is doing BYU proud
Never said it was actionable. But every time this comes up people doubt the truthfulness and kill the messenger.

It’s hard for Aggie fans to accept.
Understood and agreed. I also think there are also those who value a coach being liked by his players too highly. It's nice, but not essential. That's not to totally dismiss the value of it either.
What about when a coach has had 2 consecutive losing season AND isn’t liked by his players? Does it have any weight then?
It has the same weight. The 2 consecutive losings seasons outweigh it considerably.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 19th, 2018, 6:27 pm

sambonethegreat wrote:

My understanding with Colston-Green is that he worked his tail off the summer before his Sr. season. That his lack of playing time was more about a personal conflict with his position coach, not about pure competition. If true, I understand why he would feel upset toward the coaching staff.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » May 19th, 2018, 8:07 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 6:20 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
We can rip on Tahi here, but this is just yet another source talking about how fake Wells is and that players don't like him. We've heard this from quite a few different avenues now.
I can acknowledge and accept that players don't like him, but that isn't actionable by itself.

Tahi is doing BYU proud
Never said it was actionable. But every time this comes up people doubt the truthfulness and kill the messenger.

Understood and agreed. I also think there are also those who value a coach being liked by his players too highly. It's nice, but not essential. That's not to totally dismiss the value of it either.
What about when a coach has had 2 consecutive losing season AND isn’t liked by his players? Does it have any weight then?
It has the same weight. The 2 consecutive losings seasons outweigh it considerably.
Wells has THREE consecutive losing seasons.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » May 19th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:

Tahi is doing BYU proud

...and yet we have been to a bowl game 5 of the last 6 years.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » May 19th, 2018, 8:57 pm

dyedblue wrote:
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:

Tahi is doing BYU proud

...and yet we have been to a bowl game 5 of the last 6 years.

That’s what qualifies as a successful season at USU.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 19th, 2018, 9:04 pm

I'm just curious why it seems like some of you HATE going to bowl games. Yes, I understand that finishing 6 and 7 is a losing season and while it would have been great to win more than the six but becoming bowl eligible is still a big deal. Especially here at Utah State where mediocrity was basically accepted for so many decades.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » May 19th, 2018, 9:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 9:04 pm
I'm just curious why it seems like some of you HATE going to bowl games. Yes, I understand that finishing 6 and 7 is a losing season and while it would have been great to win more than the six but becoming bowl eligible is still a big deal. Especially here at Utah State where mediocrity was basically accepted for so many decades.
The way I see it 6 and 6 and a bowl game. And run a clean program that I can be proud of and kids that fit well in our community is a win for me.

On the topic of Tahi. I can tell you that Matt Wells is far more respected in the coaching Community then he is. A lot of people don't like to hear this on this board but Matt Wells is very well thought of outside of Utah.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 19th, 2018, 9:38 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 9:33 pm
aggies22 wrote:
The way I see it 6 and 6 and a bowl game. And run a clean program that I can be proud of and kids that fit well in our community is a win for me.

On the topic of Tahi. I can tell you that Matt Wells is far more respected in the coaching Community then he is. A lot of people don't like to hear this on this board but Matt Wells is very well thought of outside of Utah.
"People on this board" seem to like to make blanket statements arguing against things that nobody actually believes. There isn't a single person who doesn't like to hear that "matt wells is very well thought of outside of Utah." Go ahead, name one poster who that's true of. You said "A lot of posters". Reality is there's nobody.

I know the statement to be true based what I've encountered and heard. That doesn't make it true or false. I'm not saying they're wrong about Wells, but people who aren't close to situations don't generally know what reality is.

sambonethegreat

Tahi on Wells

Post by sambonethegreat » May 19th, 2018, 11:53 pm

Well, I DM’d Tahi on Twitter. He graciously shared his side of the story. I can’t divulge many personal details because I promised I wouldn’t, but I will say this: he’s really, really salty with Matt and he appears to have some legitimate grievances, too.

If even half of what he told me is true, the program is f***ed under Wells. On the other hand, he is still very angry about the situation. People tend to be more emotional and less rational when they’re angry. I bet some of what he told me is exaggerated, overstated, or perhaps even projected.

One or two items he mentioned just sound absurd. But the other items somewhat match previous bad stuff we’ve heard. Real cause for concern.

This season really is do or die for Matt Wells, though. That I’m certain Tahi would agree on, too. I just want Matt to have a great season or two and then leave. It would be best for everyone.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » May 20th, 2018, 12:54 am

swishh_15 wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 9:38 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 9:33 pm
aggies22 wrote:

"People on this board" seem to like to make blanket statements arguing against things that nobody actually believes. There isn't a single person who doesn't like to hear that "matt wells is very well thought of outside of Utah." Go ahead, name one poster who that's true of. You said "A lot of posters". Reality is there's nobody.

I know the statement to be true based what I've encountered and heard. That doesn't make it true or false. I'm not saying they're wrong about Wells, but people who aren't close to situations don't generally know what reality is.

Wow a little sensitive. I wasn't speaking about you specifically or generally.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 20th, 2018, 1:25 am

A few thoughts:

It would be great to have a coach who was both brilliant at recruiting, player development, strategy, and in-game management, AND charismatic, and a beloved father figure to the players. The reality is, even in the top ranks of P5 coaches, it's really rare to find all those qualities in one person. Often, you have to get a great combination of a head coach and a couple of great coordinators to get all of it. Often, the head coach has to be the Xs and Os guy, but is somewhat aloof and distant, while one or both of the coordinators have the emotional bond with the players. If we had a guy like that at USU, he'd be gone within three years. Even the one guy we had that DID seem to be the perfect blend of the two turned out to be a flawed individual. If he had stayed, the problems that ultimately emerged elsewhere would probably have surfaced here. If you don't know what I'm talking about, PM me.

For those that are hoping that this year exposes Wells, and that he will be sent packing, prepare for disappointment. The schedule is butter soft this year. We should win every home game. We will probably end up in the range of 8-4 to 10-2 for the regular season. We almost certainly won't beat Boise for the division championship, which means we'll be playing a mediocre opponent for our bowl, which means we will probably win. No coach is going to be fired for a 10-3 season with a bowl win.

And you should be happy about that. If we had a time machine, and went back to 2005 and said "hey, in 2018 USU will be in the Mountain West Conference, will go 10-3, will win a bowl game, and beat BYU in Provo", they'd have been fitting you out for a straight jacket and drawing up a syringe of Haldol.

As fans, there aren't many things we can fix. I'd suggest that in stead of bellyaching about things that we can't fix, we donate to the program, go to the games and take some friends and family with us, and make sure our kids want to be Aggies.

So there.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » May 20th, 2018, 8:35 am

brownjeans wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 6:27 pm
sambonethegreat wrote:

My understanding with Colston-Green is that he worked his tail off the summer before his Sr. season. That his lack of playing time was more about a personal conflict with his position coach, not about pure competition. If true, I understand why he would feel upset toward the coaching staff.
I will never buy the I was the best and should have been starting but the coach didn't like me argument

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » May 20th, 2018, 8:39 am

LKGates wrote:
May 20th, 2018, 1:25 am
A few thoughts:

It would be great to have a coach who was both brilliant at recruiting, player development, strategy, and in-game management, AND charismatic, and a beloved father figure to the players. The reality is, even in the top ranks of P5 coaches, it's really rare to find all those qualities in one person. Often, you have to get a great combination of a head coach and a couple of great coordinators to get all of it. Often, the head coach has to be the Xs and Os guy, but is somewhat aloof and distant, while one or both of the coordinators have the emotional bond with the players. If we had a guy like that at USU, he'd be gone within three years. Even the one guy we had that DID seem to be the perfect blend of the two turned out to be a flawed individual. If he had stayed, the problems that ultimately emerged elsewhere would probably have surfaced here. If you don't know what I'm talking about, PM me.

For those that are hoping that this year exposes Wells, and that he will be sent packing, prepare for disappointment. The schedule is butter soft this year. We should win every home game. We will probably end up in the range of 8-4 to 10-2 for the regular season. We almost certainly won't beat Boise for the division championship, which means we'll be playing a mediocre opponent for our bowl, which means we will probably win. No coach is going to be fired for a 10-3 season with a bowl win.

And you should be happy about that. If we had a time machine, and went back to 2005 and said "hey, in 2018 USU will be in the Mountain West Conference, will go 10-3, will win a bowl game, and beat BYU in Provo", they'd have been fitting you out for a straight jacket and drawing up a syringe of Haldol.

As fans, there aren't many things we can fix. I'd suggest that in stead of bellyaching about things that we can't fix, we donate to the program, go to the games and take some friends and family with us, and make sure our kids want to be Aggies.

So there.
Well said

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » May 20th, 2018, 8:43 am

sambonethegreat wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 11:53 pm
Well, I DM’d Tahi on Twitter. He graciously shared his side of the story. I can’t divulge many personal details because I promised I wouldn’t, but I will say this: he’s really, really salty with Matt and he appears to have some legitimate grievances, too.

If even half of what he told me is true, the program is f***ed under Wells. On the other hand, he is still very angry about the situation. People tend to be more emotional and less rational when they’re angry. I bet some of what he told me is exaggerated, overstated, or perhaps even projected.

One or two items he mentioned just sound absurd. But the other items somewhat match previous bad stuff we’ve heard. Real cause for concern.

This season really is do or die for Matt Wells, though. That I’m certain Tahi would agree on, too. I just want Matt to have a great season or two and then leave. It would be best for everyone.

Oh, now he wants to be private about it? Haha...that is hilarious. What a drama queen

I'm sure things went sideways and the truth is somewhere in the middle, but this is nothing but a bad look for Tahi st this point.

Madmartigan

Tahi on Wells

Post by Madmartigan » May 20th, 2018, 9:43 am

GeoAg wrote:
sambonethegreat wrote:

Oh, now he wants to be private about it? Haha...that is hilarious. What a drama queen

I'm sure things went sideways and the truth is somewhere in the middle, but this is nothing but a bad look for Tahi st this point.
IIRC Tahi had a similar blowup on BYU. I’m not saying what he’s claiming isn’t true, but he has a penchant for the dramatic.

You’ll see some similar things between this thread and the one below from 2015....

http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?t=18164

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36527#p369773

https://twitter.com/tahi38

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/messa ... d=13749034

Last edited by Madmartigan on May 20th, 2018, 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

tkmad

Post by tkmad » May 20th, 2018, 10:15 am

sambonethegreat wrote:

I trust nothing from someone willing to blast an employer publicly like that but not share any details about why. If he had truth, he wouldn't be afraid to share it. He's already burned every bridge, why would he be so private about what happened yet so publicly mad about it other than he has nothing of real substance to be mad about?

Program is where it is, but I won't make any judgements of how things are going based on this guys Twitter rant.

Locked Previous topicNext topic