Tahi on Wells

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
oleblu111
RIP

Re: Tahi on Wells

Post by oleblu111 » May 20th, 2018, 11:17 am

Madmartigan wrote:
May 20th, 2018, 9:43 am
GeoAg wrote:
sambonethegreat wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 11:53 pm
Well, I DM’d Tahi on Twitter. He graciously shared his side of the story. I can’t divulge many personal details because I promised I wouldn’t, but I will say this: he’s really, really salty with Matt and he appears to have some legitimate grievances, too.

If even half of what he told me is true, the program is f***ed under Wells. On the other hand, he is still very angry about the situation. People tend to be more emotional and less rational when they’re angry. I bet some of what he told me is exaggerated, overstated, or perhaps even projected.

One or two items he mentioned just sound absurd. But the other items somewhat match previous bad stuff we’ve heard. Real cause for concern.

This season really is do or die for Matt Wells, though. That I’m certain Tahi would agree on, too. I just want Matt to have a great season or two and then leave. It would be best for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, now he wants to be private about it? Haha...that is hilarious. What a drama queen

I'm sure things went sideways and the truth is somewhere in the middle, but this is nothing but a bad look for Tahi st this point.
IIRC Tahi had a similar blowup on BYU. I’m not saying what he’s claiming isn’t true, but he has a penchant for the dramatic.

You’ll see some similar things between this thread and the one below from 2015....

http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?t=18164

It would appear that this kid has a history with two schools making claims, and playing the world is against me. Nothing here but a troubled soul. Thanks for clearing the air.

Usurossco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » May 20th, 2018, 11:21 am

Program is where it is. That’s correct Wells has not followed Gary Anderson’s/ Urban Meyer’s model. He changed to much now he has put himself on the hot seat with a must win year. I am hoping for the best but really have no idea if Well’s will be here or not. We could see a change as early as game 5 this year. Interim coaches seem to be in style and no coach is safe especially after three losing seasons.

All I needed to see was the lateral option play in the bowl game. We used to make fun of Utah who would get to the one ready to score and then they would lose 5 yards on a lateral or east west play. No real coach ever does that. All of those coaches are not coaching anymore. Really bad sign. Winners cram it down the other teams throat straight up the middle for six. If it does not work the first time they do it again and again then they might get cute and try a hole to right one step.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » May 20th, 2018, 6:55 pm

That is one really messed up twitter page. The guy (Tahi) needs help (in many areas).

Regarding Coach Wells - Our AD has shown he is willing to cut a head coach loose if good results don't happen. I imagine Coach Wells' job is still on the chopping block after the last three years. This year needs real progress.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ustate98
Pick'em Champ - '13 WTHCG

Post by ustate98 » May 21st, 2018, 6:39 am

According to Wikipedia, which I know isn't always the most accurate he was a Graduate Assistant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naufahu_T ... ing_career

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 21st, 2018, 12:34 pm

As a GA you get a monthly stipend and tuition for a graduate school program I believe. Instead of researching bovine mating habits you’re coaching.

Hail Aggies!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 21st, 2018, 3:17 pm

LKGates wrote:
May 20th, 2018, 1:25 am
It would be great to have a coach who was both brilliant at recruiting, player development, strategy, and in-game management, AND charismatic, and a beloved father figure to the players.
It would be great to have a coach who had even one or two of those characteristics.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Machismo

Post by Machismo » May 21st, 2018, 4:14 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 3:17 pm
LKGates wrote:
It would be great to have a coach who was both brilliant at recruiting, player development, strategy, and in-game management, AND charismatic, and a beloved father figure to the players.
It would be great to have a coach who had even one or two of those characteristics.
:golfclap:

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » May 21st, 2018, 4:22 pm

TrueAG wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 4:35 pm
I think some coaches are hired for other reasons than their skill set. ie Poly Pipeline
That sort of sounds like "we just hired a token brown guy for recruiting purposes". Sort of an insult to Fahu Tahi.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 21st, 2018, 4:30 pm

Now you know why he is so mad... hates being the token Polynesian.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » May 21st, 2018, 4:51 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 4:22 pm
TrueAG wrote:
I think some coaches are hired for other reasons than their skill set. ie Poly Pipeline
That sort of sounds like "we just hired a token brown guy for recruiting purposes". Sort of an insult to Fahu Tahi.
Are you saying that doesn't happen?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 21st, 2018, 5:03 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
LKGates wrote:
Don’t be getting too uppity. We are supposed to just take anything we can get as fans.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 21st, 2018, 5:50 pm

GeoAg wrote:
May 20th, 2018, 8:35 am
brownjeans wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 6:27 pm
My understanding with Colston-Green is that he worked his tail off the summer before his Sr. season. That his lack of playing time was more about a personal conflict with his position coach, not about pure competition. If true, I understand why he would feel upset toward the coaching staff.
I will never buy the I was the best and should have been starting but the coach didn't like me argument.
Was that the argument? There are legitimate reasons to not play someone, even if they are "the best."

I can be understanding of someone's frustration, and disagree at the same time. Sympathy, rather than empathy.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » May 21st, 2018, 6:02 pm

TrueAG wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 4:51 pm
Tetonkatest wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
I would hope not at USU.

Sure, you can hire a guy based on his recruiting ties (i.e., being Poly), but also hire them based on their smarts. If you hire a guy just to sit there and "be polyneisian", without a chance for promotion and to ever contribute, that is racist imo.

I don't agree with Fahu Tahi's public rant but I don't think it is fair to infer he was a "token brown guy hire" who was only hired for recruiting purposes. It sounds like he worked 14 hours days from his twitter rant.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » May 21st, 2018, 6:04 pm

Where is this rumor that Wells is not well liked?

This seems like a typical internet rumor with no substance.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 21st, 2018, 6:05 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:Where is this rumor that Wells is not well liked?

It’s been repeated by quite a few people, quite a few times.

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » May 21st, 2018, 6:29 pm

Suggested edit to your post:

Original: "It’s been repeated by quite a few people, quite a few times."

New: "It's been repeated by a few people every chance they get."

stang

Post by stang » May 21st, 2018, 7:29 pm

I asked the same thing way back in this thread and got nothing. Outside of this incident and the Tukuafu thing, I can’t think of a single instance where a player, coach, or anyone near the program has said anything similar. I think it’s more of a confirmation bias for those who are already down on him.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 21st, 2018, 7:45 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:Suggested edit to your post:

Not true. It’s been multiple different people saying it for quite a while now.

I like Matt Wells. He’s always been great with me but there is wayyyyy too much smoke not to have some fire.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » May 21st, 2018, 8:01 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 6:02 pm
TrueAG wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 4:51 pm
Tetonkatest wrote:
TrueAG wrote:
I would hope not at USU.

Sure, you can hire a guy based on his recruiting ties (i.e., being Poly), but also hire them based on their smarts. If you hire a guy just to sit there and "be polyneisian", without a chance for promotion and to ever contribute, that is racist imo.

I don't agree with Fahu Tahi's public rant but I don't think it is fair to infer he was a "token brown guy hire" who was only hired for recruiting purposes. It sounds like he worked 14 hours days from his twitter rant.
Well, read his post and tell me if you think it was his "smarts" he was hired for.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » May 21st, 2018, 10:20 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 6:04 pm
Where is this rumor that Wells is not well liked?

BigBlueAggie wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 6:29 pm
Suggested edit to your post:

stang wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 7:29 pm

I asked the same thing way back in this thread and got nothing. Outside of this incident and the Tukuafu thing, I can’t think of a single instance where a player, coach, or anyone near the program has said anything similar. I think it’s more of a confirmation bias for those who are already down on him.
I've heard it straight from the mouths of 6 former players. Most of whom were marquee players at USU. I've mentioned it before on the board and get hit with the "Name your source!" comments from the skeptics. Of course I'm not going to give up names. 3 of them are good friends that I camp with regularly and the other guys are still involved with the program in some fashion because they love their alma mater (donating time and auction items for fundraising efforts).

I've been very vocal about my dislike of Wells and most of it started when I got some of these first-hand insights going back years now. Doubt me if you will, but I have no reason to mislead anyone.

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » May 21st, 2018, 11:19 pm

Wells numbers speak for him he took over a top 25 program and has degraded it to a top 95 program. Not what I hoped for. This year is the deciding year. My fingers are crossed that we will be decent. If we aren’t life has a way of taking care of things. I like the Gary Anderson approach. Jay Hill follows Urban/Anderson’s proven formula. Just sayin. He seams to be winning at a school that hasn’t had much in the past 5 years.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » May 21st, 2018, 11:53 pm

Usurossco wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 11:19 pm
Wells numbers speak for him he took over a top 25 program and has degraded it to a top 95 program. Not what I hoped for. This year is the deciding year. My fingers are crossed that we will be decent. If we aren’t life has a way of taking care of things. I like the Gary Anderson approach. Jay Hill follows Urban/Anderson’s proven formula. Just sayin. He seams to be winning at a school that hasn’t had much in the past 5 years.

It is being a bit generous to call USU a “top 25 program” before Wells took over. USU had one very good season the year before Wells took over. USU had been at best mediocre, and usually quite bad, for 3 decades before that one amazing season in 2012. Yes, USU finished 2012 ranked in the top 20, but it was not a consistent winner, nor was it a firmly established top 25 program. It was a program that was only two seasons removed from a 15 year losing streak and a run of 27 losing seasons in 29 years. I appreciate what Andersen did, but the foundation he laid was not a solid one. USU was still far behind in fan base and for most recruits, USU has been a loser for most of their lives. It takes 8-10 years of solid winning to become “established”.

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » May 22nd, 2018, 12:00 am

You clearly can’t see the forest because all you see is trees. I don’t care about the past. We were awesome and trending very well under Anderson. Thats a fact Jack. If you think your negativity can change that feel free. I know what I saw and it was a better product than the last three years period.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » May 22nd, 2018, 1:52 am

Usurossco wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 12:00 am
You clearly can’t see the forest because all you see is trees. I don’t care about the past. We were awesome and trending very well under Anderson. Thats a fact Jack. If you think your negativity can change that feel free. I know what I saw and it was a better product than the last three years period.

I don’t disagree with you, the trend was good. But the foundation was not firmly established. After 2012 USU was not seen as a solid, winning, program. It was seen as trending in the right direction. Certainly the last three years has been a disappointment compared to 2011-2014, but let’s not get caught up in the hype that USU was a solid top 25 program either. The program has slipped under Wells, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was from 1983-2009. Wells has been a far better than average USU coach, but admittedly not nearly as good as Andersen.

I am not a huge Wells fan, and unless there is major improvement this year (minimum of 9 wins), then I think a change needs to be made. But let’s also be realistic about where USU was under Andersen. 2012 was a rare season. I think realistically if Andersen were to have stuck around, long term we could have expected overall winning seasons, and the occasional 10+ win, top 25, seasons. To think we’d be annually ranked in the top 25 is just silly.

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » May 22nd, 2018, 2:22 am

Check the Las Vegas Golden Knights story if you want to talk impossible.

Nothing has been easy for this program but it rocked in every way and 2010, 2011,2012,2013,2014. Wells is going into a must win year. There is no question we can improve in a lot of areas. But winning is about players and coaching ask Texas they have money to burn and fan support too. Not much to show for it lately.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » May 22nd, 2018, 6:45 am

I disagree that a solid foundation was not laid by GA. We saw that foundation start to be set when he first arrived and there was a noticeable difference on the field, even if it did not result in many wins at first. GA kept at it and we saw continual improvement each year, both on the field, in the win column, and in overall fan support. This culminated with a top 25 ranking. The problem is that Wells, for whatever reasons, was unable to continue building upon that foundation. There was a drastic shift we saw on the field after Wells took over and it has continued, manifesting in the win column and in overall fan support.

USU was trending under GA to be a consistently strong team. Maybe not a perennial top 25 team but at least one that would be consistently receiving votes. That trend ended after Wells took over. Had that trend continued, or at least remained static instead of moving backwards, I think we would be on a self-sustaining path for the future.

I am not sure Wells should have been brought back this year, but if the condition to be retained was making it to a bowl game then he earned another year. With how the deck is stacked this year we should see a big jump in the win column. We have an experienced team, a somewhat easier schedule, there is more optimism at QB, and there has not been a substantial turnover in the staff.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 22nd, 2018, 6:52 am

stang wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 7:29 pm

Okay, I can explain the basis for this rumor. For those who have been here a while, let me know if I leave out anything.

That first season after Wells took over, we started seeing comments in the comments section under news articles about how much the players dislike Wells and how "fake" he is. Of course we just chalked it up to an anonymous internet poster with no real substance. And even if it was true, it's likely just because he "wasn't Gary."

As time has went on though we've seen various posts from time to time on USU fans ranging from a one time new anonymous poster to established posters (some are still around, some aren't) claiming they talked a football player and the player just bashed on Wells and talked about how the players didn't like him and felt he was fake. We've seen a handful of posts about it the last few years. Of course one could easily chalk it up to not being true and or players just being bitter about not getting playing time. Though one poster claiming it definitely wasn't referring to bench warmers.

I remember a few years ago being told by someone who was roommates with some of the players that players were actually telling recruits to "not come here" on their visit to USU because of how much they disliked Wells.

Jaren Colsten Green and one his parents haven't made it any secret how they felt about Wells. Alex Wheat has commented on players not liking Wells. Then we have this issue with Tahi where he clearly feels he was wronged by Wells.

Again, as one-offs they're all baseless internet rumors, but they've piled up over the last 5 years. And that 15-23 record over the past 3 seasons doesn't do much in the way of debunking.

I personally am optimistic about this upcoming season, but I guess we'll see.

Here's just a few old threads I looked up really quick:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44406&p=494162&hilit=wells#p494162
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38461&hilit=wells
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41410&p=446720&hili ... at#p446720
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40251&hilit=wells

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » May 22nd, 2018, 7:51 am

bwcrc wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 6:45 am
I disagree that a solid foundation was not laid by GA. We saw that foundation start to be set when he first arrived and there was a noticeable difference on the field, even if it did not result in many wins at first. GA kept at it and we saw continual improvement each year, both on the field, in the win column, and in overall fan support. This culminated with a top 25 ranking. The problem is that Wells, for whatever reasons, was unable to continue building upon that foundation. There was a drastic shift we saw on the field after Wells took over and it has continued, manifesting in the win column and in overall fan support.

USU was trending under GA to be a consistently strong team. Maybe not a perennial top 25 team but at least one that would be consistently receiving votes. That trend ended after Wells took over. Had that trend continued, or at least remained static instead of moving backwards, I think we would be on a self-sustaining path for the future.

I am not sure Wells should have been brought back this year, but if the condition to be retained was making it to a bowl game then he earned another year. With how the deck is stacked this year we should see a big jump in the win column. We have an experienced team, a somewhat easier schedule, there is more optimism at QB, and there has not been a substantial turnover in the staff.
I guess we have different definitions of what a "solid foundation" is. To me a solid foundation encompasses things like tradition, fan support, recruiting reputation, facilities, and the like. For me, a solid foundation cannot be destroyed by three mediocre years. A program with a solid foundation can survive even a few very bad years but still be recognized as a program with a lot to offer in terms of fan support, facilities, and opportunity for success. IMHO Andersen started to lay a solid foundation, but left before the foundation was finished. If he was still at USU, and had been winning 8+ games per year over the past five years, I would agree that the foundation would mostly be in place. If you wish to use more construction analogies, I would agree that Andersen left Wells a good set of blue prints and a good set of tools to continue building the foundation, but Wells has thrown away the blue print and allowed the tools to rust.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 22nd, 2018, 10:17 am

sambonethegreat wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 11:53 pm
I just want Matt to have a great season or two and then leave. It would be best for everyone.
Absolutely.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 22nd, 2018, 11:13 am

I'm no fan of Wells coaching, but posting a tweet like that looks worse for the poster than it does for Wells.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 22nd, 2018, 11:38 am

Wells recruited Chuckie Keeton......

ususports

Post by ususports » May 22nd, 2018, 12:15 pm

El Sapo wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 11:38 am
Wells recruited Keeton to come to Utah State while he was still coaching the wide receivers at New Mexico? Cool.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » May 22nd, 2018, 12:41 pm

solid post, swishh

i want to like wells but i think there's something fishy going on

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 22nd, 2018, 12:54 pm

This is where I am on Wells and team chemistry. To me it seemed pretty clear that there were some issues and a big lack of mutual respect between players and coaches (or at least some coaches) during the "Big Skid" (second half of '15 season, '16 season). I'm hopeful that this has gradually changed over last season. I think with certain players moving on and being replaced, some changes in the coaching staff, and hugely a change at QB mid-season, that the team is starting to play together again. I'm so far on the outside it's not even funny, so I have no definitive answer. And those that claim to be closer to the inside, or have direct access to someone on the inside, please don't take offense, but I take many comments with a grain of salt. I'm in a state of hoping for the best, but being watchful for issues in team chemistry should they crop up again. This Tahi rant is doing nothing to sway me one way or another.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 22nd, 2018, 1:21 pm

ususports wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 12:15 pm
El Sapo wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 11:38 am
Wells recruited Keeton to come to Utah State while he was still coaching the wide receivers at New Mexico? Cool.
Just repeating what Chuckie's mother told me.

Locked Previous topicNext topic