Tahi on Wells

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: Tahi on Wells

Post by BigBlueDart » May 22nd, 2018, 1:37 pm

Matt Wells was hired on as the QB coach on Dec 21, 2010. His first job was to go and recruit Chuckie Keeton, who signed in February 2011.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm

ususports wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 12:15 pm
El Sapo wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 11:38 am
Wells recruited Chuckie Keeton......
Wells recruited Keeton to come to Utah State while he was still coaching the wide receivers at New Mexico? Cool.
When Coach Wells was first hired on as the QB coach, Gary immediately sent him to Texas to ensure that we held on to Chuckie's commitment. Chuckie's recruitment and signing ended with Coach Wells being his primary recruiter.
Last edited by aggies22 on May 22nd, 2018, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 22nd, 2018, 1:42 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm
ususports wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
Wells recruited Keeton to come to Utah State while he was still coaching the wide receivers at New Mexico? Cool.
When Coach Wells was first hired on as the OC, Gary immediately sent him to Texas to ensure that we held on to Chuckie's commitment. Chuckie's recruitment and signing ended with Coach Wells being his primary recruiter.
QB coach. Not OC. Wells only became the OC for the 2012 season.

ususports

Post by ususports » May 22nd, 2018, 1:54 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 1:42 pm
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
When Coach Wells was first hired on as the OC, Gary immediately sent him to Texas to ensure that we held on to Chuckie's commitment. Chuckie's recruitment and signing ended with Coach Wells being his primary recruiter.
Chuckie committed in October of 2010 shortly after attending our home game win against BYU. While he may have needed some continued recruiting to encourage him keep his commitment, I wouldn't say that Wells was his "primary recruiter" when Keeton had already committed before Wells was even hired. Again, not saying that Wells didn't play an important role, but of equal importance, let's not overstate his role in the process either.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 22nd, 2018, 2:02 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
When Coach Wells was first hired on as the QB coach Gary immediately sent him to Texas to ensure that we held on to Chuckie's commitment. Chuckie's recruitment and signing ended with Coach Wells being his primary recruiter.
Oops, correct. I typed the wrong two letters.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 22nd, 2018, 2:07 pm

ususports wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 1:54 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
Chuckie committed in October of 2010 shortly after attending our home game win against BYU. While he may have needed some continued recruiting to encourage him keep his commitment, I wouldn't say that Wells was his "primary recruiter" when Keeton had already committed before Wells was even hired. Again, not saying that Wells didn't play an important role, but of equal importance, let's not overstate his role in the process either.
Until a kid has inked his name on the dotted line, he is fair game and Texas A&M went after Chuckie hard as siging day approached. Recruiting is a never ending process until that LOI is faxed in and verified. Once Coach Wells was sent to Texas, he became Chuckie's primary recruiter. I'm not trying to pump Coach Wells up, I'm just stating a simple fact of recruiting life. Perhaps I should have used the phrase "became the primary recruiter" but I wasn't expecting something that is fact to be nitpicked.
Last edited by aggies22 on May 22nd, 2018, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 22nd, 2018, 3:09 pm

Facts are always good when debate takes place.

ususports

Post by ususports » May 22nd, 2018, 4:11 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 2:07 pm
ususports wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 1:54 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
Until a kid has inked his name on the dotted line, he is fair game and Texas A&M went after Chuckie hard as siging day approached. Recruiting is a never ending process until that LOI is faxed in and verified. Once Coach Wells was sent to Texas, he became Chuckie's primary recruiter. I'm not trying to pump Coach Wells up, I'm just stating a simple fact of recruiting life. Perhaps I should have used the phrase "became the primary recruiter" but I wasn't expecting something that is fact to be nitpicked.
No nitpicking here, but as long as people are going to start trying to validate their posts using the "fact" card, my post(s) contained facts as well. I fully understand that until a kid signs, nothing is solid. However, I was simply pointing out that Chuckie had been approached, visited our campus, obviously liked the coaching staff that Matt Wells was NOT even a part of, and committed to Utah State before Wells was hired two months later. I already acknowledged that Wells played an important role, but I think a lot of the recruiting credit goes to the staff who actually got him interested and committed to Utah State. Without that part, there isn't anyone for Wells to go visit in Texas and retain. By the way, that is a fact.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 22nd, 2018, 7:13 pm

Who gives a rip if Wells is liked or not by the players? A lot of very good coaches are not liked. Does he win? That is the important question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 22nd, 2018, 7:24 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:Who gives a rip if Wells is liked or not by the players? A lot of very good coaches are not liked. Does he win? That is the important question.

About half the time he does and rarely in one score contests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 22nd, 2018, 7:29 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:Who gives a rip if Wells is liked or not by the players? A lot of very good coaches are not liked. Does he win? That is the important question.

About half the time he does and rarely in one score contests.

That is a concern, this year should make or break.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 22nd, 2018, 8:46 pm

Most of the time there is a correlation between a coach winning games and players liking, or at least respecting a coach. If the players don’t like him and don’t respect him, they won’t win games for him.

Matt Wells isn’t winning enough games lately, that’s why some of us give a rip.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 22nd, 2018, 9:31 pm

bwcrc wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 6:45 am
I disagree that a solid foundation was not laid by GA. We saw that foundation start to be set when he first arrived and there was a noticeable difference on the field, even if it did not result in many wins at first.
This. Anyone who has a modicum of understanding of football could see a marked improvement in effort and execution under GA that hadn't existed before his arrival. The Ags competed not only on the scoreboard, but also in the trenches against every team they played. That solid foundation seemed immediately to develop cracks the first season after GA left. The consistent effort and competitiveness was no longer there game in and game out. Pointing purely to bowl games and .500 seasons and saying the Ags have it better now than it was before GA arrived seems to be not only settling for, but embracing mediocrity.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 22nd, 2018, 9:47 pm

This season will be the season we are able to clearly measure the philosophy and profile of Matt Wells. I would point out that Matt regularly suffered coaching staff turnover in his first two very successful seasons. I believe this turnover impacted both recruiting, game preparation and on field performance. I have also been very critical of Matt Wells over the past 3 seasons and I believe this year, barring disastrous injuries, will allow us a clear appraisal of his capacities as a Head Coach.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » May 22nd, 2018, 9:49 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 9:31 pm
bwcrc wrote:
I disagree that a solid foundation was not laid by GA. We saw that foundation start to be set when he first arrived and there was a noticeable difference on the field, even if it did not result in many wins at first.
This. Anyone who has a modicum of understanding of football could see a marked improvement in effort and execution under GA that hadn't existed before his arrival. The Ags competed not only on the scoreboard, but also in the trenches against every team they played. That solid foundation seemed immediately to develop cracks the first season after GA left. The consistent effort and competitiveness was no longer there game in and game out. Pointing purely to bowl games and .500 seasons and saying the Ags have it better now than it was before GA arrived seems to be not only settling for, but embracing mediocrity.
Truer words have never been posted.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » May 22nd, 2018, 9:57 pm

Too bad GA made some rather large game time blunders. If he hadn’t there’s no question that he should be named the Aggie all time best. A QB injury and a remarkable 2nd half by the backup in Hawaii defines the turning point more than any coaching decision made.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 22nd, 2018, 10:07 pm

Its not so much he is disliked, that happens. But it seems like guys dont really respect him either and that cant happen.

Usurossco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » May 22nd, 2018, 10:14 pm

Gary was a very good coach at time we needed to win or make some changes in our football future. Wells was handed a pretty solid foundation of winning and overcoming obstacles. The problem is Wells has not done much on his own with his own players. The first two years of Wells were Gary’s players as soon as they graduated we returned to the old USU football habits.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » May 22nd, 2018, 10:30 pm

We had one good season and one great season under GA. That is hardly a foundation. I remember being completely frustrated stirring through a freezing rain getting our @ss absolutely kicked by Hawaii.

I also remember a pathetic offense that put a wide receiver under center because our QB couldn't pick up a first down. If it wasn't for Mike Sanford and Dave Aranda GA would have coached a few more years in Logan like Matt Wells is currently. I really don't see much of a difference between the two coaches other than coordinators.

Put Dave and Mike on this staff with Wells and let's see what happens. GA was as bad or worse than Wells at managing the clock.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » May 22nd, 2018, 10:59 pm

I watched Aggie football all my life for 45 years now. I will never ever be convinced that GA did nothing as suggested above. He hired the right guys recruited the right players put several in the NFL. He won what more can you ask for? It all started and ended with GA and we need another guy like him. One good season??? You need to check the record again. That is just not accurate. I have been to all of the home games and several away games. When we were good we looked just like the team in the other state ida Hole. We crushed them too and the one down south and the other one even further down south. That’s what good teams do. I would go back in a heartbeat.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » May 22nd, 2018, 11:30 pm

Well .... what was this thread originally about guys
It was about a disgruntled grad asst extremely disturbing profane tweet I think
Bad hijack. Start different thread if you must compare coaches

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 22nd, 2018, 11:56 pm

Usurossco wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 10:59 pm
I watched Aggie football all my life for 45 years now. I will never ever be convinced that GA did nothing as suggested above. He hired the right guys recruited the right players put several in the NFL. He won what more can you ask for? It all started and ended with GA and we need another guy like him. One good season??? You need to check the record again. That is just not accurate. I have been to all of the home games and several away games. When we were good we looked just like the team in the other state ida Hole. We crushed them too and the one down south and the other one even further down south. That’s what good teams do. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Andersen’s record at Utah State was:
2009 4-8
2010 4-8
2011 7-6
2012 11-2

Just as Dyedblue said, one great season 2012 and one good season 2011 (which included a miracle comeback at Hawaii and a double-overtime win against powerful Idaho to get to a winning season. Yes, we had the near-miss at Auburn too.). Nobody said he did nothing. 2012 was the best year of Aggie football in my life but it wasn’t exactly the sustained success/foundation that many here imagine. We had what turned out be incredible assistants and a generational talent at QB which Andersen deserves credit for but it’s far from clear that he could have sustained the momentum once his assistants left and Chuckie got hurt again. We all look back fondly at that time, as we should, but to me it’s a little more fool’s gold now than it was at the time. I hope we make another run at a special season this year and I think there is reason for optimism. I used to be the biggest homer ever and got overly excited for every new year. Lately, my expectations have been tempered and I just try to enjoy what comes.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 23rd, 2018, 12:23 am

I am inclined to cut Matt Wells some slack. For one thing, I have this habit of relating other people's situations to my own. I'm good at what I do. I'm naturally talented at it, but I've also worked hard at it, and I've been doing it a really long time. It is really hard to understate the importance of experience in complex endeavors. Twenty five years of honing my craft have made me much better than I was when I walked out the door of my training program in 1993. When Wells took over, he was one of the youngest head coaches in FBS football. I think he has lots of potential. I think he has made some rookie mistakes. That's what rookies do. I think he's learning from them. I think, having been a quarterback himself, it was probably really hard to put his starter on the bench. He was way too stubborn about it with Chuckie. Last year, he finally showed a willingness to do the hard, and seemingly cruel thing, benching Myers for the good of the team. I'm sure Myers wasn't happy about it. He may not like Wells for it. But it had to be done.

Let's see how this year plays out. And remember, just ten years ago, a lot of folks, including some on this board, were thinking we might have to drop down to FCS. By comparison, this is the land of milk and honey. We've made some big institutional commitments in the last ten years. The fruits of those investments have not yet peaked.

Patience, grasshoppers.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » May 23rd, 2018, 4:13 am

ChicAggie wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 9:31 pm
bwcrc wrote:
Solid foundations do not begin to crack after one season. Solid foundations are not undone by three mediocre seasons (two of which ended with bowl games...).

I do not disagree there was marked improvement under Andersen, nor do I disagree with the premise that he began to lay what could have been a solid foundation. I am making the argument that he left before the solid foundation was finished and that Wells has not continued to build it.

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » May 23rd, 2018, 6:30 am

Wells has coached 5 seasons. This year will be six. No patience needed, wins that’s what we need. Any team on this planet will say the same thing. It’s all about wins. He must go at least 8-4.

It’s time to see if Wells was worth the huge contract extension we gave him in 2014. He certainly has the ability to win I think.

Hey look at the bright side we could have hired Sataki.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 23rd, 2018, 9:16 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 4:13 am
Solid foundations do not begin to crack after one season.
Really? Happens all the time when great coaches move on.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 23rd, 2018, 9:24 am

bluegrouse wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 11:56 pm
2009 4-8
2010 4-8
2011 7-6
2012 11-2

Just as Dyedblue said, one great season 2012 and one good season 2011 (which included a miracle comeback at Hawaii and a double-overtime win against powerful Idaho to get to a winning season. Yes, we had the near-miss at Auburn too.). Nobody said he did nothing. 2012 was the best year of Aggie football in my life but it wasn’t exactly the sustained success/foundation that many here imagine. We had what turned out be incredible assistants and a generational talent at QB which Andersen deserves credit for but it’s far from clear that he could have sustained the momentum once his assistants left and Chuckie got hurt again. We all look back fondly at that time, as we should, but to me it’s a little more fool’s gold now than it was at the time. I hope we make another run at a special season this year and I think there is reason for optimism. I used to be the biggest homer ever and got overly excited for every new year. Lately, my expectations have been tempered and I just try to enjoy what comes.
Looking purely at records again shows a complete lack of understanding about what was happening on the field in the trenches. If you couldn't see a change in the competitiveness of the Aggies immediately after Andersen took the helm, I submit either your understanding of football is fairly superficial or your memory of those seasons has been blurred with the passage of time. And if you didn't see a change for the worse the first season after Wells took over, I just don't think you're paying attention.

GA's Record Against the Spread as Underdog in his 4th season as HC: 8-0/1.00 (18-4 during 4 years/.818)
MW's Record Against the Spread as Underdog in his 4th season as HC: 3-8/.273 (6-14 during first 4 years/.300)

Record against the spread as underdog is particularly telling. It reflects that even as Andersen's teams struggled to pick up wins in his first two seasons (two seasons of 4-8), they were competing far better than expected or predicted against their competition (10-4 ATS as underdog in GA's first two seasons). It also reflects that even as Wells teams continued to win in his first two seasons (with the team that Andersen had built), they immediately began to perform significantly worse than expected or predicted against their competition (3-6 ATS as underdog in Wells's first two seasons). While winning and losing certainly matters, as a fan I am arguably more concerned with whether the team actually shows up and competes against the competition. Win or lose, I want to see us put up a fight against the big boys like we did under GA against USC, Auburn, and Wisconsin, rather than what we have seen under Wells in recent years against the likes of Wisconsin, Tennessee, USC, Wake Forest, and Washington and conference blowouts against SD State, Boise St, and Wyoming.

Maybe NavyBlue and LKGates are right and all Wells needs is more experience and better luck with coaching turnover, but the rumors coming out of the locker room suggesting that Wells doesn't have support of the team are troubling. I do take them with a grain of salt, but they do seem to come up fairly regularly.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » May 23rd, 2018, 9:43 am

Some of Anderson's success against the spread was because there were some crappy teams that were favored against us.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » May 23rd, 2018, 9:43 am

ChicAggie wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 9:16 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 4:13 am
Solid foundations do not begin to crack after one season.
Really? Happens all the time when great coaches move on.
  • Western Michigan 2016: 13-1, lost a close one to Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl
  • Minnesota comes in and poaches P.J. Fleck with their P5 $$$
  • Western Michigan 2017: 6-6, no bowl appearance

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 23rd, 2018, 9:50 am

Stucki wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 9:43 am
Some of Anderson's success against the spread was because there were some crappy teams that were favored against us.
Whatever. You win. GA sucked and MW has done a great job of building on GA's luck and suckitude.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 23rd, 2018, 10:02 am

ChicAggie makes a persuasive argument regarding the spread and that has to considered as valid. Matt Wells had 2 very nice years when he took over fighting through staff turnover and certain key player injuries. The next 3 seasons when staff turnover and philosophy were active was enlightening against the spread. I believe there was an erosion of mental toughness with the players and the spread sustains the argument from ChicAggie.

This season, barring key and long term injuries, will yield an accurate assessment of Coach Wells. I believe Matt Wells is an intelligent and very insightful coach. Having said that, there are so many moving parts to the success of a head football coach.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 23rd, 2018, 10:38 am

ChicAggie wrote:
Stucki wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 9:43 am
Whatever. You win. GA sucked and MW has done a great job of building on GA's luck and suckitude.
Aggie fans seem to get really attached to their current coaches and have a hard time accepting their shortcomings.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 23rd, 2018, 12:10 pm

WAAggie wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 9:57 pm
Too bad GA made some rather large game time blunders. If he hadn’t there’s no question that he should be named the Aggie all time best. A QB injury and a remarkable 2nd half by the backup in Hawaii defines the turning point more than any coaching decision made.
Exactly what I wanted to post about GA. He had his strengths, but, come on man! We had maybe the best defensive player in the nation, a pro RB and as good a QB as there was in college and he couldn't win a bowl game? As noted his coaching skills on the sidelines during a game were his weakness.

I actually thought Wells was the solution. For a while he dominated the clock management issues. He knew the rules and play calls, knew down and distance. It seemed like maybe we had something special. I remember hearing the announcers talk about him as the best coach in the west. Then those horrible shots of him on the sidelines saying "what happened?"

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 23rd, 2018, 12:15 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 9:24 am
bluegrouse wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 11:56 pm
2009 4-8
2010 4-8
2011 7-6
2012 11-2

Looking purely at records again shows a complete lack of understanding about what was happening on the field in the trenches. If you couldn't see a change in the competitiveness of the Aggies immediately after Andersen took the helm, I submit either your understanding of football is fairly superficial or your memory of those seasons has been blurred with the passage of time. And if you didn't see a change for the worse the first season after Wells took over, I just don't think you're paying attention.

GA's Record Against the Spread as Underdog in his 4th season as HC: 8-0/1.00 (18-4 during 4 years/.818)
MW's Record Against the Spread as Underdog in his 4th season as HC: 3-8/.273 (6-14 during first 4 years/.300)

Record against the spread as underdog is particularly telling. It reflects that even as Andersen's teams struggled to pick up wins in his first two seasons (two seasons of 4-8), they were competing far better than expected or predicted against their competition (10-4 ATS as underdog in GA's first two seasons). It also reflects that even as Wells teams continued to win in his first two seasons (with the team that Andersen had built), they immediately began to perform significantly worse than expected or predicted against their competition (3-6 ATS as underdog in Wells's first two seasons). While winning and losing certainly matters, as a fan I am arguably more concerned with whether the team actually shows up and competes against the competition. Win or lose, I want to see us put up a fight against the big boys like we did under GA against USC, Auburn, and Wisconsin, rather than what we have seen under Wells in recent years against the likes of Wisconsin, Tennessee, USC, Wake Forest, and Washington and conference blowouts against SD State, Boise St, and Wyoming.

Maybe NavyBlue and LKGates are right and all Wells needs is more experience and better luck with coaching turnover, but the rumors coming out of the locker room suggesting that Wells doesn't have support of the team are troubling. I do take them with a grain of salt, but they do seem to come up fairly regularly.
Not sure anything you said changes anything I said unless you want to call a 7-6 season “great” - which I might even be inclined to agree with considering where we had been. It was fun to go to the bowl game that year with so many other Aggies even though we lost. There is no question whatsoever that we competed harder and were much better than under Guy (a pretty low bar) and the trajectory was very good. And I love Gary Andersen. Always will. Was gutted when he left. Gave us our greatest year in football in my lifetime as a fan (35+ years). It was something I never thought I’d see and it was awesome. It’s also true that he had great assistants and a great talent at QB - which, as I said, he deserves credit for. And you’ll notice I didn’t defend Wells in my post. I think he deserved another year based on getting to the bowl game but just barely. So I’m not sure we are that far apart. I think you read a lot into my post that just isn’t there.

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » May 23rd, 2018, 12:41 pm

Wells is the worst down and distance coach I have ever seen. Two examples the bowl game run option to tooele from salt lake when trying to get to Provo. Everyone know you pound the rock. East west never works.

Two against New Mexico we could have kicked one field goal from inside the 10 and won the game. Instead we went for it 4 tones and lost????

Locked Previous topicNext topic