Track has an amazing season

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Track has an amazing season

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 9th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Men finished 18th at Nationals. Highest in the MWC and among utah teams (smashed byu who appears to be ranked 7th coming in). Well ahead of host team Oregon (ranked top 10 as well).

Women finished 63, half a point ahead of byu 2 points behind Utah

https://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/file ... scores.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utaggies

Re: Track has an amazing season

Post by utaggies » June 10th, 2018, 2:21 am

Congrats to Maggard (10,000 M and 5,000 M) and Gundmudsson (javilin) who accounted for all of USU's men's points.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » June 10th, 2018, 2:56 am

And yet we still fired the track coach. Hopefully the new ones can keep the momentum going.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » June 10th, 2018, 11:57 am

Ahbye wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 2:56 am
And yet we still fired the track coach. Hopefully the new ones can keep the momentum going.
I am told that the old track coach had stopped coaching several years ago. It’s the new coaches that were doing the coaching the last few years. I actually think you’ll see the track program trend upwards with the change

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 11th, 2018, 10:45 am

So awesome. Look at the list of schools Utah State is ahead of on that list. That's a great accomplishment.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » June 11th, 2018, 4:12 pm

The NCAA T&F championships are less of a team championship and more of an individual championship. The Aggies sent only 4 men and 2 women to nationals. But of those 4 men, two garnered all of our points due to incredibly high finishes. BYU sent 15 participants to nationals, but finished below the Aggies in both the women's and men's events. So which school had the better "team"? Probably BYU.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » June 13th, 2018, 1:10 am

USUBlue wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 11:57 am
Ahbye wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 2:56 am
I am told that the old track coach had stopped coaching several years ago. It’s the new coaches that were doing the coaching the last few years. I actually think you’ll see the track program trend upwards with the change
I can see that, and it's hard to allocate who did what or who was responsible for what. One thing that is certain is that Gensel hired the assistants and had to sign off on recruits. I believe you're right about trending upward. People will want to run for us. My comment was only to re-illuminate the situation and let the powers that be know that it's not going to be forgotten.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » June 13th, 2018, 10:46 am

Utah State Men’s Track & Field/Cross Country Finishes 10th in Program of the Year Standings

http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/c ... 18aaa.html

great year!!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 13th, 2018, 11:08 am

What great news! Brings back some memories, including USU's one and only Olympic medal, a silver by L Jay Sylvester in men's discus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... pic_medals

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

GUS

Post by GUS » June 13th, 2018, 11:17 am

LJ Sylvester born and raised in Tremonton and a Bear River graduate. High school rival of USU78.

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 13th, 2018, 11:25 am

GUS wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 11:17 am
LJ Sylvester born and raised in Tremonton and a Bear River graduate. High school rival of USU78.
My dad headed up the fundraising efforts to send Jay to Tokyo Olympics. Jay brought my dad a gift home from Tokyo, which he kept his whole life long. It was a happi (法被, 半被) coat, which came to me when we lost the Coach. It's a real treasure to me.

GUS

Post by GUS » June 13th, 2018, 1:09 pm

78, what I found interesting about LJ is that by the time I graduated from Bear River in 1971, LJ no longer held the school record in either discuss or shot put.

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 13th, 2018, 4:36 pm

GUS wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 1:09 pm
78, what I found interesting about LJ is that by the time I graduated from Bear River in 1971, LJ no longer held the school record in either discuss or shot put.
Maughan really worked magic with L Jay. I knew his little brother slightly, who was, I think, 3 years ahead of me, but Jay came to our house in Brigham several times over the years. Last I spoke with him was about '78, and he was throwing at an invitational at USU. I was running the 880, and we chatted for a bit. He's still living, I think, in Lindon or Orem or somesuch place in Ewetteawe County. Didn't he just turn 80?

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » June 15th, 2018, 9:03 am

utaggies wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 4:12 pm
The NCAA T&F championships are less of a team championship and more of an individual championship. The Aggies sent only 4 men and 2 women to nationals. But of those 4 men, two garnered all of our points due to incredibly high finishes. BYU sent 15 participants to nationals, but finished below the Aggies in both the women's and men's events. So which school had the better "team"? Probably BYU.
Sure, they got more to nationals but they choked big time. If we were to compare it to basketball, we're the team that gets the worst seed and still manages to get to the sweet-sixteen. BYU would be the team that gets a great seed- maybe 3 or 4- and goes out the second round.

The trouble with BYU- especially their distance squad- is that they get a lot of incoming talent. I've seen people legitimately argue that they had the best recruiting class in the country last year. That creates a ton of inner-team competition, which would be a good thing, except BYU takes it too far. The end result is that BYU peaks far too early, and then majorly chokes at nationals. We saw that in XC when they crushed the #2 team at conferences, but then got crushed at nationals. We saw that this year in track when they scored less than half the points we did- despite having more individuals there, and individuals that have outperformed our guys.

So yeah. If your metric of a better "team" is who gets the most to nationals, BYU is the way to go. But if you look at who does more compared to the cards they are given, USU does better. From what I've seen, the USU program focuses on individuals and does great at finding the diamonds in the rough and polishing them up. Dillon Maggard is a prime example of this. He was a good, but not great HS runner. His mile PR was 4:18- a fine time, but not one thats getting a lot of calls from coaches. USU coaches took that and turned him into the best collegiate runner in the state. I don't recall who it was, but USU coaches turned a walk-on into a MWC champion. Meanwhile, BYU is given a stable of prime recruits and either runs them into the ground or peaks too early.

If I were an elite HS runner, I'd pick USU over BYU. Sure, Ed Eyestone has a good reputation, but I'd rather compete with a school that exceeds expectations and focuses more on preventing burn-out than the school that continually falls short. If I somehow managed to graduate with some eligibility left and I could pick where I'd want to go for my last year/master's degree, then I'd maybe consider BYU, though I'd likely choose NAU.

NikeRunner

Post by NikeRunner » July 6th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Ahbye wrote:And yet we still fired the track coach. Hopefully the new ones can keep the momentum going.
Gensel never wrote a single workout that I was aware of. Honestly, I'm not sure what he did. Prior to his termination he was reported to the AD for various things (the likes of which I will not go into), but can attest were true when I was there. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » July 7th, 2018, 12:46 am

NikeRunner wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Ahbye wrote:And yet we still fired the track coach. Hopefully the new ones can keep the momentum going.
Gensel never wrote a single workout that I was aware of. Honestly, I'm not sure what he did. Prior to his termination he was reported to the AD for various things (the likes of which I will not go into), but can attest were true when I was there. 🤷🏼‍♀️

He did when I was there and he was and is the most successful track coach in school history...including this years successes. You can allude to misbehavior all you want, but unless you step up to the plate and say what it was he's supposed to have done, there's no credibility in your post.

Locked Previous topicNext topic