United Bid selected to host 2026 World Cup

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
trombone_ninja

United Bid selected to host 2026 World Cup

Post by trombone_ninja » June 13th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Surprised no one else has brought it up yet, but this is very exciting news. Maybe it will help motivate U.S. Soccer to get their crap together by then. 2026 can’t come soon enough!

It will be the first World Cup with the expanded 48-team playoff and will be the first to have multiple host countries (USA, Mexico, Canada)

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-c ... sting-vote

First person to comment saying that soccer is boring has to buy me dinner and then sit through a baseball game :stirpot:

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

pablohoney

Re: United Bid selected to host 2026 World Cup

Post by pablohoney » June 13th, 2018, 5:58 pm

I don't like the expansion to 48 nations but I am very excited it will be in the United States. I'll be planning an upper east coast trip to take in more games and be closer to the action.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 13th, 2018, 5:58 pm

A serious question, how will the tv ratings be for early round games because the US could not beat Guatemala?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » June 13th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Unless the format changes under the new 48 team tournament, the USA wouldn't play Guatemala in the group stage because they are in the same confederation.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 13th, 2018, 7:43 pm

pablohoney wrote:Unless the format changes under the new 48 team tournament, the USA wouldn't play Guatemala in the group stage because they are in the same confederation.

I am sure team USA is thankful for that.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 13th, 2018, 8:29 pm

We will qualify automatically being the host, so we don't need to worry about not being able to tie Guatemala or Trinidad and Tobago.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 13th, 2018, 9:21 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:Surprised no one else has brought it up yet, but this is very exciting news. Maybe it will help motivate U.S. Soccer to get their crap together by then. 2026 can’t come soon enough!

It will be the first World Cup with the expanded 48-team playoff and will be the first to have multiple host countries (USA, Mexico, Canada)

First person to comment saying that soccer is boring has to buy me dinner and then sit through a baseball game :stirpot:
Japan and North Korea hosted a world cup together. This is great news for the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » June 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm

I’m just surprised that Phoenix and Vegas aren’t on the list of finalists for host cities. #eastcoastbias

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » June 13th, 2018, 10:55 pm

donlarson8 wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm
I’m just surprised that Phoenix and Vegas aren’t on the list of finalists for host cities. #eastcoastbias

Absolutely an east coast bias. I figured it had to do with major airports and NFL stadiums, but both Vegas and Phoenix have those... I don’t know what they don’t have that the other cities do

Go Aggies!!!

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » June 13th, 2018, 10:59 pm

dyedblue wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 9:21 pm
trombone_ninja wrote:Surprised no one else has brought it up yet, but this is very exciting news. Maybe it will help motivate U.S. Soccer to get their crap together by then. 2026 can’t come soon enough!

Japan and North Korea hosted a world cup together. This is great news for the US.
Yeah, I forgot about that one. 2026 is the first one with three host countries :noidea: Can’t imagine how they’ll organize the travel

Go Aggies!!!

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 14th, 2018, 10:45 am

dyedblue wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Japan and North Korea, eh? And here I was thinking that a US president meeting with the North Korean leader was ground-breaking!

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » June 14th, 2018, 1:43 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:We will qualify automatically being the host, so we don't need to worry about not being able to tie Guatemala or Trinidad and Tobago.
So does Canada get to automatically qualify as well? That would be huge for my Canucks.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » June 14th, 2018, 1:54 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 1:43 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:We will qualify automatically being the host, so we don't need to worry about not being able to tie Guatemala or Trinidad and Tobago.
So does Canada get to automatically qualify as well? That would be huge for my Canucks.
FIFA has not decided how the autoqualify will work. All 3 could auto qualify, all 3 could be left out.

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » June 14th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 7:43 pm
pablohoney wrote:Unless the format changes under the new 48 team tournament, the USA wouldn't play Guatemala in the group stage because they are in the same confederation.

I am sure team USA is thankful for that.

The last 2 times USA has played Guatemala on American soil, USA has won both matches 4-0 so I think USA would be thrilled to play Guatemala in the World Cup over most Euro sides. The recent 2-0 loss in Guatemala is a different story due to the added degree of difficulty in trying to play soccer while also worrying about things like getting hit by bags of urine while taking corner kids or getting hit by coins and batteries any time the ball is on the other side of the field. Things like that can be very distracting and even intimidating but aren't concerns outside of playing in third world stadiums.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » June 14th, 2018, 5:45 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 1:54 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 1:43 pm
FIFA has not decided how the autoqualify will work. All 3 could auto qualify, all 3 could be left out.
They may not have decided yet, but with the three countries being hosts and the field being expanded I think it’s unlikely that they don’t automatically qualify all three. I think what they’re really trying to decide is how to balance the amount of CONCACAF teams with the other federations

Go Aggies!!!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 14th, 2018, 8:18 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 10:55 pm
donlarson8 wrote:

Absolutely an east coast bias. I figured it had to do with major airports and NFL stadiums, but both Vegas and Phoenix have those... I don’t know what they don’t have that the other cities do
Who wouldn't want to play a soccer game in Phoenix in late June/early July??

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » June 14th, 2018, 9:07 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
trombone_ninja wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 10:55 pm
donlarson8 wrote:

Who wouldn't want to play a soccer game in Phoenix in late June/early July??
It’s really not bad when you realize that it has an indoor, air conditioned venue that hosts international soccer games all the time. Not to mention that Phoenix is one of the largest cities in the US and has a large number of soccer fans.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 15th, 2018, 8:13 am

Phoenix is one of the largest cities in the United States? I don't think the metro is top ten, and given that the United States will have about ten cities selected, I don't know that Phoenix can make the argument based on population alone. They don't have an MLS team, no one wants to send 50,000 tourists to a city that hits 120 degrees in June/July, and we will have just had a World Cup in a desert wasteland (Qatar 2022).

In all reality, I would expect the ten cities to be:
New York (duh)
Los Angeles (ditto)
Miami (internationally renowned city)
Dallas (Jerry Dome)
Houston (huge city, hosted Copa America games, easy access to airport)
San Francisco (this one is actually a shame because they'll use Levi Stadium and everyone hates Santa Clara)
Washington D.C. (would be weird to not use the capital)
Kansas City (headquarters of US Soccer)
Atlanta (giant soccer fanbase, beautiful new stadium)
Seattle (likely home field for US Soccer in group stage, great soccer fans)

Vegas would make more sense than Phoenix (I would definitely fly to Vegas for a game), but I think the summer weather and the lack of soccer history in the city kills it. You talk about an East Coast bias, but in reality most teams will be coming from Europe/South America/Africa and the East Coast is just an easier access point for fans. I'm sure that they will try to schedule the Asian Confederation teams in San Fran/LA/Seattle as well.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » June 15th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Phoenix is the sixth largest city in the US. I’m not sure that not having an MLS team matters since they’d be using NFL stadiums, which Phoenix has. If it’s a matter of whether or not there’s enough soccer fans there to let them host a game, I doubt that’s a problem. Weather can’t be that much of a concern to them if they awarded a World Cup to Qatar (120+ degrees, anyone?). I think it makes even more sense than Vegas.

Then again, I don’t know anything so take what I say with a grain of salt

Go Aggies!!!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 15th, 2018, 5:07 pm

That Portugal/Spain game was fantastic

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » June 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm

The high in Phoenix tomorrow is 86 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 18th, 2018, 8:29 am

trombone_ninja wrote:
June 15th, 2018, 4:31 pm
Phoenix is the sixth largest city in the US. I’m not sure that not having an MLS team matters since they’d be using NFL stadiums, which Phoenix has. If it’s a matter of whether or not there’s enough soccer fans there to let them host a game, I doubt that’s a problem. Weather can’t be that much of a concern to them if they awarded a World Cup to Qatar (120+ degrees, anyone?). I think it makes even more sense than Vegas.

Then again, I don’t know anything so take what I say with a grain of salt
If you are going off of city limits, I'm sure Phoenix is larger compared to its peers. Metro areas are what really matters. I just don't think Phoenix makes sense when compared with the alternatives. I'm sure Phoenix is a nice city. Old people rave about it.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » June 19th, 2018, 6:05 pm

I could be wrong, but I suspect that cities applied to host matches; some possibilities might not have applied because they didn't want the hassle. I know that at least Chicago and Vancouver either didn't apply or were rejected early because of financial reasons. (Dunno details.) FIFA is going to be pretty demanding with the chosen venues, plus requirements for things like natural grass on the fields, infrastructure, etc. Phx for example may have decided they don't want to maintain actual grass in the city during mid-summer.

The list above is pretty good, but swap out KC for Boston.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 19th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Phoenix is a natural grass indoor stadium.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Locked Previous topicNext topic