Lebron to Lakers

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GameFAQSAggie

Lebron to Lakers

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 1st, 2018, 7:17 pm

thegreendalegelf

Re: Lebron to Lakers

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 1st, 2018, 8:02 pm

They are out in the second round next year.

dyedblue

Lebron to Lakers

Post by dyedblue » July 1st, 2018, 8:16 pm

What a joke. Curry brings in KD and all Lebron can do is join a pathetic Lakers team while PG stays in OKC and the Spurs will trade Leonard to the east.

Why doesn't ANYONE want to play with Lebron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on July 1st, 2018, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » July 1st, 2018, 8:27 pm

dyedblue wrote:What a joke. Curry brings in KD and all Lebron can do is job a pathetic Lakers team while PG stays in OKC and the Spurs will trade Leonard to the east.

Why doesn't ANYONE want to play with Lebron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he has an ego the size of Ohio. One good thing, I think he meets his match in Lavar Ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 1st, 2018, 8:33 pm

I read an article a week or two ago making a very convincing argument that Lebron should consider Utah if he wants to win right away. They said the Jazz had exactly what he needs in Gobert, Mitchell, and Ingles. They said he would never do it, but it would be a perfect fit.

Eutaw St. Aggie

stang

Post by stang » July 1st, 2018, 10:21 pm

Yeah, what an IDIOT! Why on earth would he go to the team with the second most championships, an enormous media market, and a place that has perfect weather year round?! Being the first billionaire athlete is so overrated. Also, LA is such a dumb place to play for someone who is interested in getting into the movie industry to live. Good luck getting endorsements there!

I really just don’t get it. What a poor choice.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 2nd, 2018, 2:04 am

Lebron is one of the greatest, if not the greatest players to play the game.

However, he is one of the worst- if not the worst GMs ever in the game. So although, I agree with one of the above posts that Utah from a basketball perspective would have made sense for him- Lebron is the epitome of short game.

That Lakers team with Lebron may very well be a championship team, but I think some of the teams Lebron has been on that did not win championships were more talented than the current roster of next years Lakers team... Unless they can get Kawhi....

Unless they mortgage the team's future for that two year window, to go to the Finals with Kawhi. If they do Lebron will be b!tch!ng in 3 years about how shallow they are after they trade Ingram (and/or Kuzma) and 2 first round picks for Kawhi.... Lebron only does the short game. He'll then leave LA out to dry and do the same thing elsewhere.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » July 2nd, 2018, 7:59 am

As a Lakers fan I was never in favor of signing Lebron. From a purely skill perspective, he is in the discussion for greatest player ever. However, he lacks the mental toughness that Jordan and Kobe and Magic and Bird and so many of the other greatest players possessed. He will also begin aging quickly and we will witness his serious decline in the next year or so given how many minutes he has played throughout his entire career. The one hope I have is that the Lakers do not bend over backwards to accommodate Lebron. He pulled too many of the strings in Cleveland and it did not work out well overall. Yes, they made it to the Finals but coming out of the Eastern Conference that is not really saying much. And the one year Cleveland won it seems like it was more of a gift from the NBA than Cleveland being better than Golden State that season.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » July 2nd, 2018, 12:53 pm

bwcrc wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 7:59 am
As a Lakers fan I was never in favor of signing Lebron. From a purely skill perspective, he is in the discussion for greatest player ever. However, he lacks the mental toughness that Jordan and Kobe and Magic and Bird and so many of the other greatest players possessed. He will also begin aging quickly and we will witness his serious decline in the next year or so given how many minutes he has played throughout his entire career. The one hope I have is that the Lakers do not bend over backwards to accommodate Lebron. He pulled too many of the strings in Cleveland and it did not work out well overall. Yes, they made it to the Finals but coming out of the Eastern Conference that is not really saying much. And the one year Cleveland won it seems like it was more of a gift from the NBA than Cleveland being better than Golden State that season.
Lebron has the mind as past champions have. He just hasn't had the support. I mean imagine playing with goons like JR Smith who blows the finals for you :disappointed:

Check out this video that shows how well his mind is in the game.
https://youtu.be/INjlgKfK0Qc?t=1m31s

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

stang

Post by stang » July 2nd, 2018, 12:54 pm

bwcrc wrote:As a Lakers fan I was never in favor of signing Lebron. From a purely skill perspective, he is in the discussion for greatest player ever. However, he lacks the mental toughness that Jordan and Kobe and Magic and Bird and so many of the other greatest players possessed.
This is one of the most laughable points I’ve ever read on this board, and that is a very high bar. Lacks the mental toughness? Go take a look at the 2016 NBA Finals where he absolutely carried a team back from down 3-1. He’s one of the greatest post-season players in the history of the game. He’s carried several piss poor teams to the Finals. He’s incredibly clutch and the pressure of the moment rarely affects him.

A fan of a team who hasn’t won more than 45 games in seven seasons not wanting one of the top 3 players of all time is just foolish.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » July 2nd, 2018, 4:52 pm

He has played a lot of games and a lot of minutes. He is 33 and most of that age start to see a decline in skill and begin to see more injuries. The first year or 2 he should be fine but those last 2 years could be brutal.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » July 5th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Magic and Bird won their championships with a cast of Hall of Famers as support. Lebron had D-Wade to win a couple and that's it. The next best player to play with him was Kyrie who may or may not become a legend but they did win a title together. Jordan won the most championships on his own but still couldn't have done it without Pippen, it's quite obvious that Jordan was the greatest modern game player (post 1985) but Lebron is a close second and third with Kobe who raised his status with his last two titles, the first 3 were 100% Shaq's doing.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 7th, 2018, 8:04 pm

bwcrc wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 7:59 am
Lol. This is the dumbest take I have read on this site. Lebron "lacks the mental toughness"? He is one of the most clutch basketball players in nba history who has better late game playoff numbers than Kobe and even Jordan. He literally shoots over 50% on tying or go ahead shots in the final 10 seconds of playoff games. Compare that to Kobe who is at 23%. He probably has the best mental toughness of any great player to ever play. Just this playoffs he came through huge in several key moments throughout the playoffs and hit two buzzer beater game winners.

The second part is even dumber. Saying it didn't work out in Cleveland and then following it up with "Yes they made the finals every year, but that is not saying much." :lol: Yeah how terrible he had a 4 season stretch where he made the finals every season and won the Cavs their only franchise title in history. And yeah that gift from the NBA letting Cleveland come back from a 3-1 deficit to beat a 73 team. Such a gift. :crazy:

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 7th, 2018, 8:09 pm

stang wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 12:54 pm
bwcrc wrote:As a Lakers fan I was never in favor of signing Lebron. From a purely skill perspective, he is in the discussion for greatest player ever. However, he lacks the mental toughness that Jordan and Kobe and Magic and Bird and so many of the other greatest players possessed.
This is one of the most laughable points I’ve ever read on this board, and that is a very high bar. Lacks the mental toughness? Go take a look at the 2016 NBA Finals where he absolutely carried a team back from down 3-1. He’s one of the greatest post-season players in the history of the game. He’s carried several piss poor teams to the Finals. He’s incredibly clutch and the pressure of the moment rarely affects him.

A fan of a team who hasn’t won more than 45 games in seven seasons not wanting one of the top 3 players of all time is just foolish.
It is a boring talking point that has long been debunked. Lebron is extremely clutch, definitely far more than kobe.
He did play bad in the 2011 nba finals against Dallas and it seems some people ignore everything else about his career. What is funny about that example is Kobe was awful against Dallas in 2011 just two series earlier. If you are going to rip Lebron for "lacking mental toughness" because of one bad series 7 years ago, you sure better rip Kobe who shot 22% from 3, had more turnovers than assists and bricked a potential game winner in his 2011 series against the Mavs. The Lakers got swept and Phil Jackson never coached another game.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 7th, 2018, 8:29 pm

LeBaron is t trying to be compared to Kobe. He already surpassed him.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 8th, 2018, 1:08 pm

NVAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 8:29 pm
Yeah long ago. The poster I was calling out identified himself as a Laker fan and said Kobe had more mental toughness so I was responding to him. That is the ironic thing about Lebron going to the Lakers. Probably the biggest group of Lebron haters have been Laker fans over the years.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » July 8th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 8:29 pm
Yeah long ago. The poster I was calling out identified himself as a Laker fan and said Kobe had more mental toughness so I was responding to him. That is the ironic thing about Lebron going to the Lakers. Probably the biggest group of Lebron haters have been Laker fans over the years.

This is the perfect storm, I hate both Lakers and their fans and LeBron.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 9th, 2018, 8:32 am

stang wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 12:54 pm

What are everyone's bets that this is the same stang that used to troll this board telling us how SUU was better than us, and was an SUU fan that lived vicariously through BYU?

If it's not the same Stang, it's a very poor choice in handles to say the least.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 9th, 2018, 11:54 am

Lebron will be the first superstar to never win a title while wearing a Lakers jersey.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » July 9th, 2018, 12:49 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 11:54 am
Lebron will be the first superstar to never win a title while wearing a Lakers jersey.
Elgin Baylor was the first. In fact, the Lakers went on their record winning streak immediately after he retired.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 9th, 2018, 1:24 pm

brownjeans wrote:
If they keep their young core- if those young players develop, if they can get Kawhi and another TBD superstar (like Anthony Davis) they can absolutely compete for a championship. I think they're ok essentially using this as a rebuilding year, hoping they can sign Kawhi without giving up young talent in a trade right now- that being said, it would have made more sense for Lebron to go elsewhere for a year if that were the case. With Lebron, you're never more than a piece or two away from a championship. (It just needs to be the right pieces)

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 9th, 2018, 1:36 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Would you consider Karl Malone a superstar?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 9th, 2018, 7:19 pm

cdaAg wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 12:49 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Elgin Baylor was the first. In fact, the Lakers went on their record winning streak immediately after he retired.
Baylor is the best example since his prime years were in LA. Al Michaels once said in an interview I heard that he was the best player he had ever seen. Lebron will be in his first playoff as a Laker at age 34. There have been several hall of famers that have spent late years of their career in LA that didn't win a title. Karl Malone as has been mentioned, Gary Payton and Steve Nash also come to mind. Dennis Rodman played a year in LA to close it out. Baylor is the one superstar in the Laker history to play in LA in his prime and have no title to show for it.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 10th, 2018, 1:29 am

Yossarian wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 1:36 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Not at that point of his career. Elgin Baylor on the other hand...

Still, if Lebron doesn't bring a title to LA, Lakers fans will torch him - some of them are already torching him. Kobe fans are idiots. Kobe fans, the anti-Last-Jedi people... a couple of groups that defy reason.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » July 10th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Elgin Baylor sidenote, I've always loved Hot Rod Hundley's quote about playing with Elgin. "I remember the night Elgin Baylor and I combined for 78 points. Elgin scored 71 of 'em."

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » July 10th, 2018, 3:09 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 1:29 am
Yossarian wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Still, if Lebron doesn't bring a title to LA, Lakers fans will torch him - some of them are already torching him. Kobe fans are idiots. Kobe fans, the anti-Last-Jedi people... a couple of groups that defy reason.
Come on man, it was a bunch of CGI and explosions that lacked a real storyline or depth! I predict it will be a “skip” in a future revision of the Machete order

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 10th, 2018, 4:38 pm

MalAgua wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 3:09 pm
brownjeans wrote:
July 10th, 2018, 1:29 am
Yossarian wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Come on man, it was a bunch of CGI and explosions that lacked a real storyline or depth! I predict it will be a “skip” in a future revision of the Machete order
It was the first grown-up star wars movie since Empire. Main thing to criticize is that Leia didn't die. Johnson used all the old-school techniques (Yoda puppet, Casino people and creatures all real and not CGI - he was a real student of the lore and the film-making techniques). The movie has far fewer faults than five of the previous seven films. Only Star Wars and Empire are better.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 12th, 2018, 7:39 am

From LeBron and the Lakers to Star Wars in one thread. This is why I love this website! :cheers:

Locked Previous topicNext topic