Front Page Top Stories

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
swordsman1989

Front Page Top Stories

Post by swordsman1989 » September 9th, 2018, 10:46 am

How or who decides the top stories on the front page of USUfans.com? For nearly six months now the headlines have been about the hiring of Smith as basketball coach. We are now firmly established into football season, and still the top headlines are about the hiring of a basketball coach six months ago. Any way to update them a bit?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Front Page Top Stories

Post by aggies22 » September 9th, 2018, 10:59 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 10:46 am
How or who decides the top stories on the front page of USUfans.com? For nearly six months now the headlines have been about the hiring of Smith as basketball coach. We are now firmly established into football season, and still the top headlines are about the hiring of a basketball coach six months ago. Any way to update them a bit?
We have a new basketball coach? I hadn't heard.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 9th, 2018, 11:03 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
They are decided by you and everyone else on here. Each story has the ability to up vote and down vote. Stories that receive enough upvotes will replace the stories at the top. I just bumped one up.

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » September 9th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Can we add a time limit to the upvote stories. After a few weeks or so they start dropping off the top stories instead of all time highest upvotes. I would like to see what the the current top stories are.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 9th, 2018, 12:34 pm

AgSpaceCase wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 12:09 pm
Can we add a time limit to the upvote stories. After a few weeks or so they start dropping off the top stories instead of all time highest upvotes. I would like to see what the the current top stories are.
There kind of is already but it requires users to upvote. Each story is given an initial score based on the current date and time. Each time a story is clicked on it bumps that score up a bit and each time it's upvoted it bumps it up a bit more. Right now, the top stories shows the top 3 stories that have at least 3 upvotes. There are plenty of stories that have higher scores than the current 3 just based on the date and time that they were posted but we don't know that they are popular because no one is upvoting them. We used to get a lot of upvotes but it really died off over the offseason.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 10th, 2018, 11:08 am

Thanks for calling attention to this swordsman. Sometimes it feels like we're the only ones upvoting or reading the articles. This thread has already helped change the stories.

Now, if we could only get people to actually see that the TV broadcast coverage is actually on the 'Schedules' page. Can you work on promoting that one too?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 10th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Aglicious wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 11:08 am
Thanks for calling attention to this swordsman. Sometimes it feels like we're the only ones upvoting or reading the articles. This thread has already helped change the stories.

Now, if we could only get people to actually see that the TV broadcast coverage is actually on the 'Schedules' page. Can you work on promoting that one too?
i dont even go to the usu sports page to check; i go straight to the schedule here.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 10th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Me too, and didn’t realize there was an upvote option. I will do my civic duty from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » September 10th, 2018, 9:23 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
They are decided by you and everyone else on here. Each story has the ability to up vote and down vote. Stories that receive enough upvotes will replace the stories at the top. I just bumped one up.
Is there a way to upvote from Tapatalk. I feel I am pretty tech savvy, but I honestly never new that these forums had an upvote mechanism.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 10th, 2018, 9:27 pm

jpswensen wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Is there a way to upvote from Tapatalk. I feel I am pretty tech savvy, but I honestly never new that these forums had an upvote mechanism.

The forum doesn't have an upvote feature, just the news tab which isn't available in Tapatalk.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 10th, 2018, 11:49 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
jpswensen wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

The forum doesn't have an upvote feature, just the news tab which isn't available in Tapatalk.

theakaggie has upvoted this comment

Hail Aggies!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 15th, 2018, 7:00 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 11:49 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
jpswensen wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

theakaggie has upvoted this comment
:lol: :notworthy:

Locked Previous topicNext topic