Volleyball Coach Should Be Fired

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
USUBlue
13=13

Volleyball Coach Should Be Fired

Post by USUBlue » September 5th, 2018, 12:25 pm

As has been discussed many times in the past, USU's volleyball program is in disgrace. We are getting thumped by lesser programs with very little money. Dubose is simply not getting it done; a change is required.

ViAggie

Re: Volleyball Coach Should Be Fired

Post by ViAggie » September 5th, 2018, 4:18 pm

HEY we beat Cal State Northridge 3-2! Come on man! So we lost to UTRGVXYZ community college and Cal Poly Pomona, big deal...

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 5th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Have you checked the women's basketball record with the Fink coaching, it is beyond awful. He took over a good program and sent it down the drain.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 5th, 2018, 4:31 pm

I think we should have fired Fink two years ago

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » September 5th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Overall USU sports teams have been declining.

Women’s soccer and softball have also been declining as well. Volleyball is getting beat 3-0 or 3-1 to big sky schools

I hope Craig gets basketball moving in right direction but it’s clear the athletics as a whole have been going in wrong direction

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 5th, 2018, 5:05 pm

If it's a money game we're playing, just let the coaches contracts expire and try to hire better next time. I want all our programs to be good, but I would rather have a good basketball team and football team and have all the other sports suck.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 5th, 2018, 6:14 pm

We just fired the X-country and basketball coaches and we need to fire Wells, The women's basketball coach,
Softball coach, Volleyball coach, the ticket or AD Lady... Who'd I miss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 5th, 2018, 6:56 pm

dyedblue wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 6:14 pm
We just fired the X-country and basketball coaches and we need to fire Wells, The women's basketball coach,
Softball coach, Volleyball coach, the ticket or AD Lady... Who'd I miss?

I'd say basketball, but I guess that guy gets a pass and another season to prove himself...

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 6th, 2018, 9:25 am

I think we should let Fink hire his son to help steer the ship..............oh wait.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 6th, 2018, 9:42 am

Blue, does this mean you are satisfied with the Football and Basketball coaches to this point?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 6th, 2018, 9:56 am

How is our Women's LaCross team doing?

o/s

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » September 6th, 2018, 10:13 am

NVAggie wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 9:42 am
Blue, does this mean you are satisfied with the Football and Basketball coaches to this point?
I am satisfied with the BBall hire, now let's see what he can do. After 1-2 years, we'll have the answer. As for FBall, big year for Wells. 6-6 should be the end of his job; better than that he continues. When you get paid $1 million a year, you'd better produce a successful, entertaining product.
Last edited by USUBlue on September 6th, 2018, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 6th, 2018, 10:54 am

Gentlemen,

I've come to defend the women's soccer team. It didn't sound right to me when someone said that the quality of the team has been decreasing, so I've done some research.

Last year was definitely the worst year the team has had since joining the MWC. They finished 8th in the conference with 14/33 total points. However, they appear to have been very young last year. They had four freshmen starting, as well as two sophomores, and were missing their starting goalkeeper with an injury.

This year, they are also fairly young, starting 3 freshmen and 5 sophomores. However, they have been competitive in their losses (they outshot Sam Houston State on the road and lost to a good Minnesota team at home after leading), and beat Towson on the road 3-1.

Other than the hiccup last year with a very young team, they have maintained a slightly above average performance in the conference (finishing fourth once, fifth twice, and seventh once). They are also going to have a very nice run with this group of younger players that are seeing tons of playing time and are quite skilled.

Volleyball sounds like it is in the dumpster, and women's basketball is horrible. I just don't think women's soccer is doing anything to merit inclusion in that group.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » September 6th, 2018, 10:56 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 10:54 am
Gentlemen,

I've come to defend the women's soccer team. It didn't sound right to me when someone said that the quality of the team has been decreasing, so I've done some research.

Last year was definitely the worst year the team has had since joining the MWC. They finished 8th in the conference with 14/33 total points. However, they appear to have been very young last year. They had four freshmen starting, as well as two sophomores, and were missing their starting goalkeeper with an injury.

This year, they are also fairly young, starting 3 freshmen and 5 sophomores. However, they have been competitive in their losses (they outshot Sam Houston State on the road and lost to a good Minnesota team at home after leading), and beat Towson on the road 3-1.

Other than the hiccup last year with a very young team, they have maintained a slightly above average performance in the conference (finishing fourth once, fifth twice, and seventh once). They are also going to have a very nice run with this group of younger players that are seeing tons of playing time and are quite skilled.

Volleyball sounds like it is in the dumpster, and women's basketball is horrible. I just don't think women's soccer is doing anything to merit inclusion in that group.
I agree

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 6th, 2018, 11:35 am

Here is USU Volleyball's performance under Grayson Dubose:

2017: 16-14, 6th in MWC
2016: 14-16, 7th in MWC
2015: 6-26, 11th in MWC
2014: 13-16, 7th in MWC
2013: 20-11, 3rd in MWC
2012: 21-9, 1st in WAC
2011: 15-17, ?? in WAC
2010: 27-9, 3rd in WAC
2009: 15-14, ?? in WAC
2008: 11-17, ?? in WAC
2007: 17-13, 3rd in WAC
2006: 13-19, ?? in WAC

His overall record is 189-187 in 13 seasons (including this one), so he is about as middle-of-the-road as they come. However, he is 69-83 since joining the MWC and has had one good year (2013, a third place finish). I think there are some fair questions about the direction of the program, and whether Dubose can effectively continue to compete. The WAC was not a bad conference for volleyball (Hawaii was a great program to compete against), and is comparable to the MWC.

Dubose has the largest budget USU has ever had, a brand new facility, better marketing, and experience in the position. If teams that hover around .500 are the best we can do, it may be time to assess moving on.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 6th, 2018, 12:52 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:Gentlemen,

Agree with YBA. The thing missing from soccer last year was a goal scorer. They brought in 4 or 5 strikers this year. If they can start scoring from that position they will be doing great. I’m bummed my niece wasn’t offered, but her club teammate has already seen game time from the left wing spot. (Niece is committed to EWU for those keeping track at home.)

Hail Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 7th, 2018, 1:30 pm

MEh. Hire someone cheap and put the extra money into Football/Basketball.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 9th, 2018, 10:18 pm

ViAggie wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 4:31 pm
I think we should have fired Fink two years ago
That's when he got his extension and his son got a promotion IIRC.

SpartanDrew15

Post by SpartanDrew15 » October 12th, 2018, 11:01 pm

I've been casually following Utah State since the Aggies came to San Jose and rallied from 2-0 down to beat the Spartans 3-2. Since then, USU has lost four in a row, including to bad Nevada and San Diego State teams (though SDSU looks far better in conference play than OOC). SJSU has had wins over quality Boise State and Air Force teams and beat Nevada in four sets, which makes the USU loss so much more puzzling. So it looks like most posters' opinions regarding the USU coach won't change.

From looking at his year by year record on the NCAA stats website, I see a coach who peaked earlier this decade when USU was still in the WAC but could not deliver similar results when USU moved to the MW in 2013.

bpd

Post by bpd » October 14th, 2018, 11:25 am

I went to the USU v CSU game last night in Fort Collins. CSU is really good, USU is not. CSU was more athletic, hit the ball much harder, and was better positioned. The rams destroyed them and no games were competitive. Grayson looked disinterested.

SpartanDrew15

Post by SpartanDrew15 » October 18th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Utah State snapped its six-match losing streak by beating Air Force 3-1 in Logan tonight. Air Force is 2-0 against P5 teams (Wake Forest and Maryland) and has a quality conference win over third-place UNLV.

Still, if I were to put together a "Coaches' Hot Seat" style list for Mountain West volleyball, DuBose would remain at the top for these reasons:
  • His longevity (10+ years) on the job with a marked downfall from WAC champions in 2012 to third place in the first MW season of 2013 to a consistent cycle of mediocre-to-poor conference finishes since 2014.
  • The original athletic director who hired him is long gone, as is the AD who was there for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. DuBose is under his third AD, who has only seen the perpetual mediocre-to-poor seasons I mentioned earlier.
Expect the Nevada and San Diego State coaches to be on the hot seat as well, because Nevada's head coach had a good Year Two in 2016 but has not been able to follow up. SDSU's coach is in her tenth season and is likely gonna hit rock bottom after a string of mediocre seasons that followed SDSU's 2012 MW championship.

SpartanDrew15

Post by SpartanDrew15 » November 29th, 2018, 1:34 am

Looks like Grayson DuBose will be back for a 14th season, because he signed four players back on November 14, when the regular signing period began for volleyball. Had the USU athletics administration decided that DuBose should not return next year, I doubt it would've allowed the signings to happen. Look at Fresno State. Only after the January hiring of new head coach Jonathan Winder did Fresno State begin announcing new signees for the 2018 recruiting class.

I wonder if DuBose got any further contract extensions, after being signed through the 2016 season back in early 2013. It appears the current AD is content with allowing DuBose's contract to expire before searching for a new coach.

Meanwhile in Reno, it appears that Nevada is sticking by Lee Nelson despite finishing 1-17 and last in the MW, because Nevada announced three players signed by Nelson.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 29th, 2018, 8:15 am

SpartanDrew15 wrote:Looks like Grayson DuBose will be back for a 14th season, because he signed four players back on November 14, when the regular signing period began for volleyball. Had the USU athletics administration decided that DuBose should not return next year, I doubt it would've allowed the signings to happen. Look at Fresno State. Only after the January hiring of new head coach Jonathan Winder did Fresno State begin announcing new signees for the 2018 recruiting class.

I wonder if DuBose got any further contract extensions, after being signed through the 2016 season back in early 2013. It appears the current AD is content with allowing DuBose's contract to expire before searching for a new coach.

Meanwhile in Reno, it appears that Nevada is sticking by Lee Nelson despite finishing 1-17 and last in the MW, because Nevada announced three players signed by Nelson.
The only person who cares about any of this is a SJSU fan. That’s why he’s not going anywhere.

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic