Al Lewis Interview with Coach Smith

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » September 27th, 2018, 12:34 pm

KVNU had this interview with Coach Smith on earlier this week as part of their Full Court Press show. It starts at about the 30:30 mark at the link below:

https://www.kvnutalk.com/9-25-2018-3/

Some interesting (to me) points from the interview:

- He plans to play fast. He recently got after Sam Merrill for passing up a transition three. Not from the interview, but last year's KenPom stats have South Dakota ranked at 52nd for tempo and Utah State at 244th. This could be a dramatic change.

- The defense is coming along. They will definitely use the press, but not all the time.

- He is looking to fill one more position on the staff. The assistant positions are full, so this would be a player development/support staff person. Its been reported on the board that this hire should be announced soon and Coach seems to confirm that.

- He speaks highly of Neemias and his defensive abilities. He even attempts to mimic the Portuguese accent.

- He emphasizes three areas, limit turnovers, rebounding, and maximizing free throws. He says we are weak in two of those areas.

- He confirms all the injury news (Brown, Stall, Knight, and Roche) that we have heard over the last few months.

From the interview, it sounds like the team has a long ways to go. I'm not expecting much this season, but hopefully the improvement is noticeable as the season progresses.

Aggie84025

Re: Al Lewis Interview with Coach Smith

Post by Aggie84025 » September 27th, 2018, 3:59 pm

What injury did Knight have? I was aware of Stall/Rooch being out the year and Brown being out for a month or so, but was not aware the Knight injury.

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » September 27th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Knight III had surgery early in the summer. He just got cleared to resume basketball activities about 10 days ago.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 27th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Sam lost 15 lbs and is lean and mean. Will be interesting to see how his new body impacts his game.

Also of note is Fakira has put in a lot of body work and is big and strong as a freshman. Neemias has 7’5” wingspan and is a legitimate rim protector.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » September 27th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Could be rough year, but coach sounds keyed in. Offensive speed, rebounds, turnovers? All shortcomings the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GUS

Post by GUS » September 27th, 2018, 11:47 pm

I saw Spencer Nelson at the Cache Valley parade of homes last week. He is still living in the valley. I wonder if he is being considered for the last position?

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » September 28th, 2018, 7:41 am

Sam lost 15 lbs and is lean and mean.
He was at soccer the other day and it took me a minute to recognize him. He looks much slimmer.

Locked Previous topicNext topic