CFP Rankings

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

CFP Rankings

Post by bluegrouse » October 30th, 2018, 5:42 pm

#12 UCF
#23 Fresno State

No Aggies.

Just keep winning and maybe we leapfrog FSU. UCF might have to lose two...

aceofspadeskb

Re: CFP Rankings

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 30th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Wow...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 30th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

SuperiorBlueDiver
Has thanked: 0

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » October 30th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Tennessee Tech and NMSU have really hurt us just by being on the schedule. Fresno lost to Minnesota by the same amount we lost to Michigan State. Michigan State is much better than Minnesota. BYU sucking isn’t helping us either but I’m ok with it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 30th, 2018, 5:56 pm

1st reaction was anger. Then determination. I like that this leaves room to have a chip on their shoulders.
The 18 was fun for a few days i guess.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » October 30th, 2018, 6:08 pm

I am surprised about folks being surprised. Our SOS is bad. We've not beaten anyone with a winning record. Our only win outside of the state of Utah was against Wyoming and it was a very close game against a not very good team. All we can do is win out and hope for some help. That being said, we are in a position that not many thought we'd be in. Let's enjoy the ride instead of bemoaning the "injustice" of not being on the NY6 radar.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 30th, 2018, 6:12 pm

utaggies wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 6:08 pm
I am surprised about folks being surprised. Our SOS is bad. We've not beaten anyone with a winning record. Our only win outside of the state of Utah was against Wyoming and it was a very close game against a not very good team. All we can do is win out and hope for some help. That being said, we are in a position that not many thought we'd be in. Let's enjoy the ride instead of bemoaning the "injustice" of not being on the NY6 radar.
Not seeing anywhere where "injustice" was said. Surprised is a lot different than thinking something is unfair. The only thing different for fresno is they beat a terrible UCLA team. I get it, just crazy to be ranked higher in both other polls.
Last edited by Usu0505 on October 30th, 2018, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 30th, 2018, 6:12 pm

This should not be a surprise. I’ll tell you we’re not that close to being ranked either. Houston is for sure at least ahead of us. This is why BYU crapping the bed hurts us.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 30th, 2018, 6:21 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 6:12 pm
This should not be a surprise. I’ll tell you we’re not that close to being ranked either. Houston is for sure at least ahead of us. This is why BYU crapping the bed hurts us.
If had had to bet a lot of money today on who is the best team in the MW id also prob pick Fresno. Do they belong more in the rankings than we do though? I dont really think so. Thats where my surprise comes from. I wish we had been lucky enough to schedule ucla this year.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 30th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 6:21 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
If had had to bet a lot of money today on who is the best team in the MW id also prob pick Fresno. Do they belong more in the rankings than we do though? I dont really think so. Thats where my surprise comes from. I wish we had been lucky enough to schedule ucla this year.
They absolutely do. Much better wins.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 30th, 2018, 6:31 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 6:28 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Who?

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » October 30th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 6:31 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Who?
Hawaii, Nevada, UCLA, and Toledo are better than NMSU, TTU, AFA, UNLV.

As far as common opponents so far, they did better against WYO than we did, while we did better against UNM than they did. And the way we beat WYO doesn't help our image at all.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 30th, 2018, 6:37 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 6:35 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Who?
Hawaii, Nevada, UCLA, and Toledo are better than NMSU, TTU, AFA, UNLV
I think it's funny you left their FCS off and then included ours in place of BYU. I would put BYU on par with UCLA and Nevada and much better than Hawaii (They did destroy them afterall). Toledo is probably on par with Air Force. Fresno's schedule may be slightly better but it isn't that much different.

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » October 30th, 2018, 6:43 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 6:37 pm
NAggsty Butler wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Who?
I think it's funny you left their FCS off and then included ours in place of BYU. I would put BYU on par with UCLA and Nevada and much better than Hawaii (They did destroy them afterall). Toledo is probably on par with Air Force. Fresno's schedule may be slightly better but it isn't that much different.
The funny thing is I completely forgot that Idaho is FCS. That is sad.

Now that I look back at my post, I'm not really sure why I didn't include BYU on the list. Maybe because I don't know how to classify them. They have some really good looking wins while absolutely sucking in their losses. But like you said, UCLA and Nevada are probably on par with BYU, and that is more decent wins than us. I agree with you though, the difference in our schedule is slight. I think we are pretty much even with Fresno, with them having a very small lead.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 30th, 2018, 6:50 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 6:43 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
NAggsty Butler wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Who?
The funny thing is I completely forgot that Idaho is FCS. That is sad.

Now that I look back at my post, I'm not really sure why I didn't include BYU on the list. Maybe because I don't know how to classify them. They have some really good looking wins while absolutely sucking in their losses. But like you said, UCLA and Nevada are probably on par with BYU, and that is more decent wins than us. I agree with you though, the difference in our schedule is slight. I think we are pretty much even with Fresno, with them having a very small lead.
ProvoAggie wrote:
NAggsty Butler wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Who?
Its like comparing 2 diff pieces of garbage. The only difference maker in scheduling for fresno is ucla and i get it. It is a pac 12 win. Look all im saying is i would have been a lot less surprised to see Houston. Just rolled albeit a crappy but ranked usf and beat a down year pac 12 team. Once again not saying Aggies are there yet but i dont believe fresno is based off other's they left out and where people got ranked. And fresno ooc schedule definitely doesnt convince me other wise. Agree to dissaggree i suppose.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » October 30th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
Not seeing anywhere where "injustice" was said. Surprised is a lot different than thinking something is unfair. The only thing different for fresno is they beat a terrible UCLA team. I get it, just crazy to be ranked higher in both other polls.
USU being ranked higher in both polls means absolutely nothing re: the CFP ranking. I believe there are three things that have resulted in Fresno St. being ranked ahead of USU: 1) FSU's SOS is better; 2) we've beaten no one of consequence and have only 1 win outside of the state; and 3) the optics of the Wyoming win were very, very bad.

That being said, the solution to all of this is for USU to win out. Only the G5 conference champs are candidates for a NY6 bowl. So our best scenario is to beat BSU, have FSU win out, and then beat the Bulldogs on their home turf ....all this while hoping that Houston loses a regular season game but beats UCF in the conference championship.

It is a stretch to believe all of those stars will align. So let's enjoy trying to win the conference championship.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 30th, 2018, 6:51 pm

I would have been more shocked to see us make the initial rankings. Fresno St. is more deserving at this point and all the metrics back that up. Even if you go by the good ol' eyeball test, I would say Fresno St. is the team to beat in the MWC. An argument could be made that USU is still not even in the top 3 depending on how you feel about SDSU and their multiple injuries to starters.

The good news is that we still control our own destiny and if the team can maintain the focus to go 1-0 each week, then they are going to like where they are at the end of the year. I don't think UCF will go undefeated and the other AAC teams are likely going to beat each other right out of the rankings. The fact that Fresno St. and USU don't meet up unless it is in the MWC championship game really sets up the winner of that game to vault into a NY6 spot should UCF fall.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 30th, 2018, 6:51 pm

utaggies wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 6:50 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
utaggies wrote:
USU being ranked higher in both polls means absolutely nothing re: the CFP ranking. I believe there are three things that have resulted in Fresno St. being ranked ahead of USU: 1) FSU's SOS is better; 2) we've beaten no one of consequence and have only 1 win outside of the state; and 3) the optics of the Wyoming win were very, very bad.

That being said, the solution to all of this is for USU to win out. Only the G5 conference champs are candidates for a NY6 bowl. So our best scenario is to beat BSU, have FSU win out, and then beat the Bulldogs on their home turf ....all this while hoping that Houston loses a regular season game but beats UCF in the conference championship.

It is a stretch to believe all of those stars will align. So let's enjoy trying to win the conference championship.
Agreed. Hopefully a little extra motivation for them.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 30th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Happy about the snub. This eases my fears about a letdown in Honolulu. Just stay focused and keep winning and good things will happen.

That 18 by our name did not last long. Ranked by AP and Coaches just in time for it to not matter anymore.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 30th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Where Fresno St. is ranked doesn't matter if we finish 11 - 1 we're going to be ranked above them. We need to worry about the AAC teams, we control our own destiny vs. other MWC teams.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 30th, 2018, 7:53 pm

brownjeans wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 7:37 pm
Where Fresno St. is ranked doesn't matter if we finish 11 - 1 we're going to be ranked above them. We need to worry about the AAC teams, we control our own destiny vs. other MWC teams.
Except beating Fresno would be a whole lot harder in Fresno than in Logan for the MWC championship. If both teams are undefeated in the MWC it’ll come down to this ranking.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » October 30th, 2018, 8:05 pm

I’m not at all surprised or disappointed. We knew from the beginning that this was a weak schedule and there’s nothing that can be done about it (except for win and win big, which is exactly what they’re doing). You’d think that hanging 50 in the first half against the cupcakes would be more meaningful than beating the cupcakes by a score or two, but what do I know.

I want to be upset that UCF is ranked so low, but their SOS is as bad as ours and they haven’t won as many blowouts as we have. My biggest issue is that a G5 will never be given a chance at the playoff no matter what success they have.

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 30th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Best possible scenario for us is Boise beats Fresno, then we beat Boise. That should put us ahead of Fresno, and hosting the conference championship game. We win out and become conference champions. UCF loses to a lower ranked program in the AAC championship game.

It would be great if we went to a NY6 game. Honestly, though, considering where we have been as a program, and considering we were picked to finish 4th in the Mountain Division preseason (though I never believed that), I'd be happy to have a conference championship, and a win in the Las Vegas Bowl over a PAC12 opponent. That in turn sets us up for next year, when we get most of the team back, and a much more impressive strength of schedule.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 30th, 2018, 8:20 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 7:53 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Except beating Fresno would be a whole lot harder in Fresno than in Logan for the MWC championship. If both teams are undefeated in the MWC it’ll come down to this ranking.
Just out of curiosity what if no MW team ends up in the playoff poll? How would a tie be decided then? I wouldnt want that as it would be bad for us and the conference but it is possibe right? I wish there was a "also recieving votes section for this poll. Be nice to know exactly where we stand. Maybe the final poll extends to top 50 and im just unaware? Ill be honesty i haven't paid that close of attention to this before seeing as we have never even been in the discussion.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 30th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 8:20 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Just out of curiosity what if no MW team ends up in the playoff poll? How would a tie be decided then? I wouldnt want that as it would be bad for us and the conference but it is possibe right? I wish there was a "also recieving votes section for this poll. Be nice to know exactly where we stand. Maybe the final poll extends to top 50 and im just unaware? Ill be honesty i haven't paid that close of attention to this before seeing as we have never even been in the discussion.
CFP is the 2nd tie breaker. Home Field is determined by conference record, then head to head, then CFP. If Fresno loses to Boise and we win out then we have the better conference record. I believe the next tie breaker is the old computer polls that made up the BCS.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 30th, 2018, 8:32 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 8:26 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 8:20 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
CFP is the 2nd tie breaker. Home Field is determined by conference record, then head to head, then CFP. If Fresno loses to Boise and we win out then we have the better conference record. I believe the next tie breaker is the old computer polls that made up the BCS.
I see. Its probably extremely unlikely anyway. It really sucks to be on the outside looking in and not knowing exactly where we stand but i guess JFW? I Think i used that right anyway? Thanks for the insight!

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » October 30th, 2018, 8:45 pm

So when the CFP rankings come out, does that mean our #18 AP pole is now obsolete? Do we keep our ranking this weekend against Hawaii?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 30th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Who has UCF beaten? Isn’t their best win against Memphis?

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » October 30th, 2018, 11:16 pm

According to TeamRankings.com Utah State (72) has a better strength of schedule than Fresno (78) , Huston (79), and UCF (90).

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 30th, 2018, 11:22 pm

NVAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 9:49 pm
Who has UCF beaten? Isn’t their best win against Memphis?
#1 They’re actually undefeated.
#2 They beat the golden child an SEC team in their NY bowl last year

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 30th, 2018, 11:25 pm

So nothing. Got it.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 31st, 2018, 12:18 am

Something to think about... do we have a better chance of winning a game in Fresno than in Logan? Logan in the winter is cold and windy. It will likely be 20-30 degrees warmer in Fresno. Really cold weather could hurt our offensive game, especially if it snows. If we get into a defensive, running the ball type of game with Fresno, I don’t like our odds.

Obviously I want the game in logan, I’m just wondering what gives us the better chance of winning.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 31st, 2018, 12:51 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 12:18 am
Something to think about... do we have a better chance of winning a game in Fresno than in Logan? Logan in the winter is cold and windy. It will likely be 20-30 degrees warmer in Fresno. Really cold weather could hurt our offensive game, especially if it snows. If we get into a defensive, running the ball type of game with Fresno, I don’t like our odds.

Obviously I want the game in logan, I’m just wondering what gives us the better chance of winning.
Fresno taking a flight to Slc, then a bus for 90 mins to Logan (maybe they charter?), then playing in snow in front of our crowd (18,000 strong I’m sure) gives us an advantage. Snow isn’t bad for passing offenses and tends to favor the home team, especially against warm weather teams. Wind is a much bigger factor.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » October 31st, 2018, 5:46 am

utaggies wrote:
Completely agree with everything you said. I am more than hopeful that we keep up the good work long enough that we can see how we fare in a MWC championship game.

freakboy

Post by freakboy » October 31st, 2018, 6:39 am

I’m surprised that Iowa State is ranked 23rd with a record of 4-3. They lost to a 3-5 TCU.

Locked Previous topicNext topic