Mike MacIntyre fired. Could Colorado be going after Matt Wells?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13

Mike MacIntyre fired. Could Colorado be going after Matt Wells?

Post by Aggiealum13 » November 13th, 2018, 7:08 am

This of all the teams firing coaches could lure Matt Wells the most. Time will tell but will be interesting off season.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports ... -of-season

Roy McAvoy

Re: Mike MacIntyre fired. Could CU be going after Matt Wells?

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 13th, 2018, 7:14 am

Yes, mark my words. If Wells doesn’t get a better offer and he gets offered this one, he’d take it. He grew up watching CU be a national powerhouse.

AndroidAggie

Re: Mike MacIntyre fired. Could Colorado be going after Matt Wells?

Post by AndroidAggie » November 13th, 2018, 7:38 am

thanks for everything, coach. it was a good ride.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » November 13th, 2018, 7:44 am

Colorado would be scary if Wells brought Yost with him to the Buffs.

seabass

Post by seabass » November 13th, 2018, 7:52 am

Could we just end up with MacIntyre as our coach and CU pays his salary, like what we did with Heupel? Without paying much attention to CU football, I thought he was doing an ok job.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » November 13th, 2018, 7:58 am

Didn't they start 5-0. My how quickly things change.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 13th, 2018, 8:11 am

seabass wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 7:52 am
Could we just end up with MacIntyre as our coach and CU pays his salary, like what we did with Heupel? Without paying much attention to CU football, I thought he was doing an ok job.
Mike MacIntyre won football games at freaking San Jose State, so yeah I'd say he's okay with me.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 13th, 2018, 8:18 am

He was both Pac12 and National coach of the year in 2016 as they won the Pac-12 South.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » November 13th, 2018, 8:19 am

Though Wells would be a hot candidate, I also think Harsin and Tedford will be given a look at for the Colorado job too.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 13th, 2018, 8:21 am

I think we’ll be surprised at what jobs Wells considers and I think he’s gonna bounce at a higher paying job no matter what. He missed his big pay day last time when Gary sniped the Oregon St job away from him and he faced being fired the past two years by his alma mater so what sense of loyalty should he have? The fan base didn’t exactly come through this year. Not one sellout for our best team ever.
Our only hope is if his family wants to stay and USU can offer him a long enough and big enough contract to give him job security in an area his family is happy.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 13th, 2018, 8:22 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 8:19 am
Though Wells would be a hot candidate, I also think Harsin and Tedford will be given a look at for the Colorado job too.
Anyone else feeling like we need to write letters to CU's athletic department giving glowing reviews of Harsin? Because I do.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 13th, 2018, 8:22 am

Why would Coach Wells leave a team he built to this point? Yost maybe, but Coach Wells has a good thing going now.....he loves the school and he is well on his way to making USU history....who would walk away from that? He may get offers from other schools, but that's walking into a risky situation when he has stability here - I don't think we have to worry about Wells leaving just yet

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 13th, 2018, 8:23 am

taniataylor wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 8:22 am
Why would Coach Wells leave a team he built to this point? Yost maybe, but Coach Wells has a good thing going now.....he loves the school and he is well on his way to making USU history....who would walk away from that? He may get offers from other schools, but that's walking into a risky situation when he has stability here - I don't think we have to worry about Wells leaving just yet
Take a step back and think about this. If you were offered a job making 3 1/2 times your current salary with a chance to do what you do on a bigger stage, would you take it?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 13th, 2018, 8:24 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Aggiealum13 wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 8:19 am
Anyone else feeling like we need to write letters to CU's athletic department giving glowing reviews of Harsin? Because I do.
Harsin has been a strong candidate for even better jobs but hasn't taken them in the past. I think he loves things at Boise and would only leave for a top tier job. He makes $2 million and has a lot of job security.

Tedford sucked at Cal. I don't think there's any way they'd offer him before Wells.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 13th, 2018, 8:28 am

swishh_15 wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 8:23 am
taniataylor wrote:
Take a step back and think about this. If you were offered a job making 3 1/2 times your current salary with a chance to do what you do on a bigger stage, would you take it?
This.
Plus, he missed his chance last time and it almost ended up costing him head coaching status. I think he takes it this time and I wouldn’t blame him or have hard feelings. He’s helped guide this program to new heights for which I’m very grateful.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 13th, 2018, 8:38 am

swishh_15 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Of course I would take it, I have also proven my ability for more than a year. Remember last year when his job was on the line if he didn't make a bowl game? I think I rather go for stability at this point - One awesome season is not going to get him poached. Next year will be the test.....can we dominate those games like we did this year? If so, then he's gone. He's not dumb, he can get a nice extension here and be good for another 5 years. On top of the fact that he's been meeting with the underclassman players and mapping out next year...I'm betting on him stayin

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 13th, 2018, 8:42 am

taniataylor wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 8:38 am
swishh_15 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Of course I would take it, I have also proven my ability for more than a year. Remember last year when his job was on the line if he didn't make a bowl game? I think I rather go for stability at this point - One awesome season is not going to get him poached. Next year will be the test.....can we dominate those games like we did this year? If so, then he's gone. He's not dumb, he can get a nice extension here and be good for another 5 years. On top of the fact that he's been meeting with the underclassman players and mapping out next year...I'm betting on him stayin
Who knows if CU will even offer him. I think Matt Campbell is probably higher on their list than Wells. You weren't around when Gary left though 5 years ago. He went 7-6 in 2011 then 11-2 in 2012 (so one good year) and then Wisconsin offered him the job. Everything pointed to him staying and he was looking people in the eyes and telling them he was staying. 24 hours later Wisconsin all of a sudden offers him and he was gone.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 13th, 2018, 8:49 am

swishh_15 wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 8:42 am
taniataylor wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 8:38 am
swishh_15 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Who knows if CU will even offer him. I think Matt Campbell is probably higher on their list than Wells. You weren't around when Gary left though 5 years ago. He went 7-6 in 2011 then 11-2 in 2012 (so one good year) and then Wisconsin offered him the job. Everything pointed to him staying and he was looking people in the eyes and telling them he was staying. 24 hours later Wisconsin all of a sudden offers him and he was gone.
annnnnd when Gary came back to Utah and wanted USU and couldn't get in....I'm tellin ya I have a good feelin about him staying

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » November 13th, 2018, 8:51 am

swishh_15 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Why would Coach Wells leave a team he built to this point? Yost maybe, but Coach Wells has a good thing going now.....he loves the school and he is well on his way to making USU history....who would walk away from that? He may get offers from other schools, but that's walking into a risky situation when he has stability here[ - I don't think we have to worry about Wells leaving just yet

If my main focus was the money and I was okay with retiring (or becoming an Assistant Coach or FCS Coach) after a few years I would definitely take the job, if offered, especially if Yost was going to come along with me. However, I would strongly consider the fact that CU has fired their last three coaches. I would also keep in the back of my mind what happened to head coaches like Gary Anderson, Jim McElwain, Dan Hawkins, and Mike Macyintyre when they left for P5 Schools. I would also take into account that CU has only had one winning season in more than a decade and that this could be a major project.
Last edited by thansen on November 13th, 2018, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 13th, 2018, 8:55 am

thansen wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 8:51 am
swishh_15 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Why would Coach Wells leave a team he built to this point? Yost maybe, but Coach Wells has a good thing going now.....he loves the school and he is well on his way to making USU history....who would walk away from that? He may get offers from other schools, but that's walking into a risky situation when he has stability here[ - I don't think we have to worry about Wells leaving just yet

If my main focus was the money and was okay with retiring (or becoming an Assistant Coach or FCS Coach) after a few years I would definitely take the job, if offered, especially if Yost was going to come along with me. However, I would strongly consider the fact that CU has fired their last three coaches. I would also keep in the back of my mind what happened to head coaches like Gary Anderson, Jim McElwain, Dan Hawkins, and Mike Macyintyre when they left for P5 Schools. I would also take into account that CU has only had one winning season in more than a decade and that this could be a major project.

WHAT HE SAID :cheers:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 13th, 2018, 8:58 am

thansen wrote:
If my main focus was the money and was okay with retiring (or becoming an Assistant Coach or FCS Coach) after a few years I would definitely take the job, if offered, especially if Yost was going to come along with me. However, I would strongly consider the fact that CU has fired their last three coaches. I would also keep in the back of my mind what happened to head coaches like Gary Anderson, Jim McElwain, Dan Hawkins, and Mike Macyintyre when they left for P5 Schools. I would also take into account that CU has only had one winning season in more than a decade and that this could be a major project.
What if your main focus was trying to be the best you can at your job and wanting to try to prove yourself on the highest level? There's talent in the cupboard at CU too.

I can't believe people are going to have their head in the sand this go around again. Just remember he was trying to bolt to Oregon State a few years ago before Gary swooped in on the job. And that job is less money and harder to win at than CU.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » November 13th, 2018, 9:08 am

If Well's gets hired first. I'd say we hire Yost as the HC ASAP before he gets picked up.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 13th, 2018, 9:09 am

We'll see. I think if he gets offered any P5 job and more money he will bolt, and I wouldn't blame him one bit. You only get one coaching career and P5 offers that pay $$$$ don't come up often. Like Tania, I am skeptical the offers will come since he's had a couple shaky seasons before this one. Guess we'll see!

Yost is either our next head coach or gonzo.

These are problems, but good problems to have. I trust Hartwell to hire the right replacement if Wells does leave. Smith looks to be a slam dunk hire.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 13th, 2018, 9:19 am

I just posted this elsewhere, but it may be more appropriate for this thread:

"Sustaining success" and "winning" are two different things. I would argue that no coach has been able to "sustain success" at Colorado since Bill McCartney left in 1994. After an inauspicious start for McCartney where he went 7-25[-1 over his first three seasons, McCartney got Colorado into bowl games 11 out of the next 12 seasons, including three 11-1 seasons. Since then, Neuheisel was out after four years, going 13-10 over his final two seasons; Gary Barnett stuck around for most of seven seasons, posting a decent-but-not-great record of 49-39; Dan Hawkins couldn't manage a single winning season in just shy of five years at the helm, getting fired with a 3-6 record in his final season; his replacement Jon Embree managed an abysmal 4-22 record in two seasons before he was out; and recently deposed coach Mike MacIntyre managed a single winning season in his nearly six years in Boulder, posting an overall 30-45 record.

All of these guys had been successful before they took over the HC reins in Colorado (okay, it was Embree's first HC position, but he had been successful as a recruiter and coordinator). Hawkins and MacIntyre should both serve as cautionary tales for Wells.

Hawkins was an AMAZING 53-11 (.828) in five seasons at Boise, but was an awful 19-39 (.328) in five seasons at Colorado and has never been given an opportunity to coach a real program again. While Hawkins may have made more money in a short time at Colorado than he would have in those same years at Boise, Hawkins had a job for life in Boise where he would likely have ruled like a king for as long as he wanted. Not sure which he would prefer in hindsight, but if he liked coaching and living in Boise at all, he may have made a different choice in retrospect.

MacIntyre took a over a gawdawful program at San Jose State, taking them from 1-12 his first season, to a promising 5-7 his second season, to a 10-2 record, a season-ending 6-game winning streak, and a #24 national ranking (on all three polls) in his third season. Then he was off to Colorado where he posted only one winning season in six and a 6th Place Finish (last) in the Pac-12 South in four out of his first five seasons. While 2016 was great for Colorado, they fell back into last place the next season. Four out of five last place finishes does not equal job security.

Building a winning program in the WAC/MWC seems as though it may not translate to winning in Colorado.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » November 13th, 2018, 9:25 am

I definitely feel if Wells does go to Colorado or whomever, that Yost, MacIntyre, or maybe even Gary A. would be good replacement choices.

bpd

Post by bpd » November 13th, 2018, 9:28 am

I work near Boulder and am pretty familiar with the program. I'm shocked they are firing him and even more shocked at the timing. They have had a lot of injuries, mainly to their super talented receiving core. They just gave him an extension and they owe him $10 million on his contract. I doubt he works next year. CU just upgraded their facilities and he has recruited in state fairly well. A couple years ago, before his big season, the facilities were out dated, that is not the case anymore.

If you look at CU as a whole. They have good facilities, Boulder is easy to recruit too, PAC 12, a good football history, Denver is close, good in state recruiting. I don't think Wells will be their first or second choice (they have to hit a home run), but he will take it if offered.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 13th, 2018, 9:30 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 9:25 am
I definitely feel if Wells does go to Colorado or whomever, that Yost, MacIntyre, or maybe even Gary A. would be good replacement choices.
I agree. Right now, at least on paper, there's a good list of potential replacements. David Yost, Jay Hill, Gary Andersen, Neal Brown (Troy Head Coach Hartwell hired) are probably the realistic top candidates. Frank Maile & Mike MacIntyre could also be added to the list.

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » November 13th, 2018, 9:31 am

swishh_15 wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 8:58 am
thansen wrote:
If my main focus was the money and I was okay with retiring (or becoming an Assistant Coach or FCS Coach) after a few years I would definitely take the job, if offered, especially if Yost was going to come along with me. However, I would strongly consider the fact that CU has fired their last three coaches. I would also keep in the back of my mind what happened to head coaches like Gary Anderson, Jim McElwain, Dan Hawkins, and Mike Macyintyre when they left for P5 Schools. I would also take into account that CU has only had one winning season in more than a decade and that this could be a major project.
What if your main focus was trying to be the best you can at your job and wanting to try to prove yourself on the highest level? There's talent in the cupboard at CU too.

I can't believe people are going to have their head in the sand this go around again. Just remember he was trying to bolt to Oregon State a few years ago before Gary swooped in on the job. And that job is less money and harder to win at than CU.
Like I said, IF my main focus was the MONEY I would take the job. I would also consider how great my team will be next year with returning players like Nathan, Love, Thompson, Scarver, Woodward, Bond, Raymond, Terrel, Eberle, Ingram, and the list goes on. Sticking around for another year or two would give me the opportunity to build a better resume and to leave my legacy on the program before moving onto a coaching job that is a better fit than the CU job.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 13th, 2018, 9:39 am

I'm not expecting Wells to stay. He has built this team with his own hands. He no longer is playing with Gary's cards. I also wouldn't blame him for leaving. Good for him. In the end, great programs are built by the fans and alumni.

aggiefan4ever44
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggiefan4ever44 » November 13th, 2018, 9:54 am

taniataylor wrote:Why would Coach Wells leave a team he built to this point? Yost maybe, but Coach Wells has a good thing going now.....he loves the school and he is well on his way to making USU history....who would walk away from that? He may get offers from other schools, but that's walking into a risky situation when he has stability here - I don't think we have to worry about Wells leaving just yet
He was close to being fired. If this year did not go well he would have been gone and the fan base has not been that great. After this year he has got to think he reached the pinnacle of what is possible at Utah State. If he can get more money at a decent program he will be gone. Colorado seems like a good place to land as the expectations are not as high as most P5 programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » November 13th, 2018, 9:58 am

I think Wells will be a replacement candidate for sure, but I'm not sure if he'll get it. If I'm Colorado AD, I would want to make a big splash hire this next go around, and nothing against Wells but this was his first great season with USU, and that didn't occur until the hiring of Yost. So is it Yost that is making the most impact for USU or is it Wells? There could be a whole new thread on this topic, and I know hiring good coordinators is a sign of a good coach, but as a Colorado AD it would make me wonder before any serious consideration of Wells is made.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 13th, 2018, 10:16 am

I think Wells will definitely get a call from CU. He has been very open that he will always pick up the phone and listen. If offered, he will take the job. I don't blame him and I wouldn't hold any hard feelings (ironically, I'm still angry at GA).

We are simply not going to keep a good coach long term. I'm ok with that. I hope the AD is as well and understands that we always need to be looking for the next up-and-coming coach who shows a lot of promise and wants a shot at the FBS level. I'm much happier right now that our coach is likely to get poached than I was two years ago when nobody was looking his way.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » November 13th, 2018, 10:19 am

FWIW, there are conflicting reports on whether or not MacIntyre being fired is accurate.

In the end, it likely doesn't matter as I believe Wells will be gone, it's just a matter of which school he leaves for. Pete Thamel at Yahoo wrote a column today and mentioned Wells as a candidate at Kansas. If I were Wells, I would definitely jump at a P5 job but I would hope to have options. If my only option was Kansas, I think I would try and get a raise at USU and hope for a better offer next year.

And for those saying look at GA as an example of moving up to a P5 gig doesn't work out - his mistake was leaving Wisconsin. The jump from USU to Wisconsin was an easy call. I will never understand why he wanted out of Wisconsin for OSU. Also, Chris Petersen and Jeff Brohm are a couple of other examples of guys that made a move to P5 job and are doing just fine. Not all of them fail - and even if they do fail, they have a 5 year guaranteed contract worth millions (unless you pull another GA move and walk away from the $$).

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 13th, 2018, 10:50 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:I think Wells will be a replacement candidate for sure, but I'm not sure if he'll get it. If I'm Colorado AD, I would want to make a big splash hire this next go around, and nothing against Wells but this was his first great season with USU, and that didn't occur until the hiring of Yost. So is it Yost that is making the most impact for USU or is it Wells? There could be a whole new thread on this topic, and I know hiring good coordinators is a sign of a good coach, but as a Colorado AD it would make me wonder before any serious consideration of Wells is made.
Not to take anything away from MW, but one of his greatest strengths is his ability to hire good coordinators. Home run hire after home run hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 13th, 2018, 10:56 am

It doesn't take away from Matt, it is a major compliment that he hires great coordinators, for the most part. It's critical for any head coach who wants to be successful.

Locked Previous topicNext topic