Wells still sucks in Close Games

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Re: Wells still sucks in Close Games

Post by bigblue » November 17th, 2018, 7:48 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:Soooo predictable, now that the offense didn't move as well it's back to being MW fault instead of Yosts credit when the offense is moving. Tompkins is the kick returner and fumbled the ball... not Wells. I'm pretty sure that if he had let it go and it dribbled down to the two yrd line, the same ones on here (I can't express myself without swearing) that he attempted to field the punt would be doing the same thing about letting it go. Have fun complaining about a W fellas! 10-1 and the chance to host the CCG are on the horizon. Go Aggies!
^^^^^^^^^
The voice of reason. Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » November 17th, 2018, 7:58 pm

bigblue wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:48 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:Soooo predictable, now that the offense didn't move as well it's back to being MW fault instead of Yosts credit when the offense is moving. Tompkins is the kick returner and fumbled the ball... not Wells. I'm pretty sure that if he had let it go and it dribbled down to the two yrd line, the same ones on here (I can't express myself without swearing) that he attempted to field the punt would be doing the same thing about letting it go. Have fun complaining about a W fellas! 10-1 and the chance to host the CCG are on the horizon. Go Aggies!
^^^^^^^^^
The voice of reason. Thank you.
+1000! I love this team and coaches! Great Job! Go Aggies!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 17th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:34 pm
GeoAg wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:19 pm
This thread is nutso.

Thompkins has been the backup there all year and hasn't muffed a punt. Nobody is really a freshman anymore in game 11. If Wells would have put some one else in who hadn't been practicing abd they muffed the punt, that would have been questionable. Playing the guy who has been the backup all year at that position is not. If he would have not trues to catch it and gave up 25 yards of field position you all would have complained about that. No coaching error on that period.
True if he had played in 11 games and fielded a bunch of punts throughout the year and had shown he could execute the play. This was his first game receiving kicks as a freshman and the first time in this situation with so much at stake. I would have instructed him to fake fair catch and whatever you do don’t touch the freaking ball.

Say what you want but he’s a freshman in his first game. Sorry.
Actually, he had four punt returns coming into today's game and is the only player other than Nathan to return a punt.

Are you seriously arguing that it would have been a better idea to put in an upperclassman who hadn't fielded a punt all year?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 17th, 2018, 8:06 pm

I probably would have had an upperclassmen back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » November 17th, 2018, 8:11 pm

It's so Monday morning QB to say our punt returner shouldn't have tried to catch the ball.

The only mistake made in that play is that Tompkins didn't catch it.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 17th, 2018, 8:16 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:59 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
This thread is nutso.

Thompkins has been the backup there all year and hasn't muffed a punt. Nobody is really a freshman anymore in game 11. If Wells would have put some one else in who hadn't been practicing abd they muffed the punt, that would have been questionable. Playing the guy who has been the backup all year at that position is not. If he would have not trues to catch it and gave up 25 yards of field position you all would have complained about that. No coaching error on that period.
True if he had played in 11 games and fielded a bunch of punts throughout the year and had shown he could execute the play. This was his first game receiving kicks as a freshman and the first time in this situation with so much at stake. I would have instructed him to fake fair catch and whatever you do don’t touch the freaking ball.

Actually, he had four punt returns coming into today's game and is the only player other than Nathan to return a punt.

Are you seriously arguing that it would have been a better idea to put in an upperclassman who hadn't fielded a punt all year?
No. Not at all. See bold above.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 17th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 8:16 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:59 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
This thread is nutso.

No. Not at all. See bold above.
Great. Now the ball rolls inside the 10 yard line and our offense that managed two decent drives up to that point is pinned to it's goal line.

He was clear for the fair catch, no traffic. He just needed to catch the ball.

If we don't trust the player to do their job then there is no reason to have them on the field.

Oh, and it was a senior who idiotically hit their QB late on the final drive putting them in position to win.

astroman31
Has thanked: 0

Post by astroman31 » November 17th, 2018, 8:29 pm

This thread is Cougarboard worthy.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

dogie

Post by dogie » November 17th, 2018, 8:34 pm

72AgGrad wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 5:26 pm
AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 3:50 pm
Sorry to point out the obvious.
I trust, then, that you are prepared to take over as HC next year. If not, then tell us, first, just EXACTLY what you would have done in his place and, failing that, just who you would hire to take his place after you fire him tomorrow.
Two fallacies in one outburst! I love it!

1) When a fan criticizes a coach, it isn’t a valid counterpoint to say that the fan couldn’t do better as a coach.

2). The original poster didn’t call for Wells to be fired tomorrow.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 17th, 2018, 8:42 pm

astroman31 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 8:29 pm
This thread is Cougarboard worthy.

No, if this was Cougar board we'd be measuring the drapes for our new offices in the SEC or Big Twelve. One of them surely will recruit us this offseason. Oh, and why aren't we ranked ahead of Alabama?

That's cougar board.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 17th, 2018, 9:08 pm

GeoAg wrote:
This thread is nutso.

Fellas. IT was SNOWING, COLD, 4th QTR, everyone was frozen. Your Nationally ranked #13, A shot at a NY6 bowl game, your AHEAD/WINNING the game. Wells might land the biggest job of his life if he wins out this year. Did I mention it was SNOWING and COLD. You DONT throw your freshman who hasn't caught punts all year out there and say go catch it, don't let it bounce 5 yards down field on a cold/wet field. Basically coach's, Matt included must have had Brain Freeze in 4th qtr. This dude had no business trying to catch the punt, Nobody was even close to him.

Then Add in Matt Wells Lost in RENO 2 years ago, we lost to CSU in Logan 5-6 years ago on same play. No way do I ask a Freshman in the 4th qtr in this big of a game to catch the punt. Maybe in the 1st qtr on a Sunny Day. Maybe.

As Soon as I saw who was trying to catch it, I thought we are screwed. 100% Wells and Staff's Fault. And this wasn't the only bone head call in 4th qtr.

astroman31

Post by astroman31 » November 17th, 2018, 9:12 pm

But that TD pass to win the game was pretty sweet, huh?

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 17th, 2018, 9:24 pm

astroman31 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 9:12 pm
But that TD pass to win the game was pretty sweet, huh?

That doesn't count...only the perceived mistakes count.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 17th, 2018, 9:25 pm

I have a feeling some of you would have felt better about a loss.

Hail Aggies!

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 17th, 2018, 9:25 pm

dogie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 8:34 pm
72AgGrad wrote:
AggieSox wrote:
I trust, then, that you are prepared to take over as HC next year. If not, then tell us, first, just EXACTLY what you would have done in his place and, failing that, just who you would hire to take his place after you fire him tomorrow.

1) When a fan criticizes a coach, it isn’t a valid counterpoint to say that the fan couldn’t do better as a coach.

Thank you, dogie. This is, by far, the most asinine rebuttal argument used in this forum. The minute I see someone break out the "then why don't you coach the team" line, I immediately end the debate because I realize I am dealing with a person incapable of formulating any kind of intelligent thought.

And to be clear, I'm not saying anything bad about Wells here.

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » November 17th, 2018, 9:26 pm

I feel like the same posters who complain that Coach Wells is always playing not to lose rather than playing to win are upset because they think he should have called a play with the intention of trying not to lose because he was scared that something bad might happen. That is the exact same thing that people are often complaining about.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 17th, 2018, 9:28 pm

The Amish wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 3:54 pm
What's your parameter for a close game? So far this season I would call Air Force, Wyoming, CSU, and MSU close games. And the aggies came out on top 3 out of 4.
True we are 3-1.

But today was as lucky as you can get, CSU Deserved to win, we had 2-3 calls go our way that normally don't happen on the road, so we should be 2-2. At MSU, we never came close to the end zone to tie or win came in 4th at the end, maybe we could of dialed up the D or called something on offense to get us in end zone. The Wyoming game was super fortunate as well, their Freshman QB was killing us and they put in the other dude on the final drive and he missed wide open guys. So again, we aint been good in close games this year or in past years under wells.

I am Stoked we won today. Still can t believe it. This is a special year for us, I am happy for Wells in General for the success this year. But I have zero confidence in the guy to do anything in the 4th to help us win. He just aint got it, and It in the close games. I hope we blow out Boise by 40 Next week.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 17th, 2018, 9:32 pm

AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 9:28 pm
The Amish wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 3:54 pm
What's your parameter for a close game? So far this season I would call Air Force, Wyoming, CSU, and MSU close games. And the aggies came out on top 3 out of 4.
True we are 3-1.

But today was as lucky as you can get, CSU Deserved to win, we had 2-3 calls go our way that normally don't happen on the road, so we should be 2-2. At MSU, we never came close to the end zone to tie or win came in 4th at the end, maybe we could of dialed up the D or called something on offense to get us in end zone. The Wyoming game was super fortunate as well, their Freshman QB was killing us and they put in the other dude on the final drive and he missed wide open guys. So again, we aint been good in close games this year or in past years under wells.

I am Stoked we won today. Still can t believe it. This is a special year for us, I am happy for Wells in General for the success this year. But I have zero confidence in the guy to do anything in the 4th to help us win. He just aint got it, and It in the close games. I hope we blow out Boise by 40 Next week.
You're making a lot of maybes and if's. We're still 3-1. They don't take wins away because if how things "should" have been.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 17th, 2018, 9:33 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 9:25 pm

I'm stoked we won. Just pointing out how coaching just about led us to a loss. Plain and Simple.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 17th, 2018, 9:37 pm

AgMac wrote:
dogie wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
AggieSox wrote:

Thank you, dogie. This is, by far, the most asinine rebuttal argument used in this forum. The minute I see someone break out the "then why don't you coach the team" line, I immediately end the debate because I realize I am dealing with a person incapable of formulating any kind of intelligent thought.

Totally Agree! Just pointing out that Wells aint been good in Close games and this year is better, but not by much. For a 7 year head coach, you would think he would have end of game situations handled by now. Never going to be perfect, but I do expect better game management from a 7 year head coach vs a 1-2 year head coach.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 17th, 2018, 9:39 pm

I will say this. If us fans are this upset with a win I would have to think the team might feel the same. They are going to feel like they should've have played much better. They are going to prepare harder for Boise than they have for any game this season.

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2018, 9:41 pm

We are 3-1 in close games. The only improvement would be 4-0. They are close games for a reason. Not all decisions are going to work, but the only thing that matter is the final score 29-24 USU. Players have to make plays and if we cannot trust punt returner to catch a fair punt than we have major problems.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 17th, 2018, 9:49 pm

AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 9:37 pm
AgMac wrote:
dogie wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
AggieSox wrote:

Totally Agree! Just pointing out that Wells aint been good in Close games and this year is better, but not by much. For a 7 year head coach, you would think he would have end of game situations handled by now. Never going to be perfect, but I do expect better game management from a 7 year head coach vs a 1-2 year head coach.
It is his 6th year not his 7th and if you expect better than a 10-1 record and having us on the brink of the top 10, you have unrealistic expectations. Wells has done an A+ job coaching USU football this year. Other than a close loss against a big ten team where Wells did a helluva job preparing the team giving them a chance to win, we have won the close games. We have also dominated teams like few Aggie teams in history. Some people will never get over the Corvallis Quitter leaving us even when we have a coach far superior on our sideline now who is actually an Aggie alum and doesn't have loyalty to Salt lake commuter college.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 17th, 2018, 9:50 pm

AggieSox wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

I'm stoked we won. Just pointing out how coaching just about led us to a loss. Plain and Simple.
Players win and coaches lose?

Every coach in America fields that punt. Every last one.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 17th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Last post on this apparently some people can’t comprehend. I can’t beleive that knowing the actual outcome of the muffed punt you would still want him to field it?!

Even the announcers said to just let it go, and get out of there. Freshman, weather, slick conditions.. play it safe in that situation always.

So if we are in the exact same situation next week against Boise and Thompson’s runs out on the field, you still want him do the exact same thing??

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 17th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 9:49 pm
AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 9:37 pm
AgMac wrote:
dogie wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
AggieSox wrote:

It is his 6th year not his 7th and if you expect better than a 10-1 record and having us on the brink of the top 10, you have unrealistic expectations. Wells has done an A+ job coaching USU football this year. Other than a close loss against a big ten team where Wells did a helluva job preparing the team giving them a chance to win, we have won the close games. We have also dominated teams like few Aggie teams in history. Some people will never get over the Corvallis Quitter leaving us even when we have a coach far superior on our sideline now who is actually an Aggie alum and doesn't have loyalty to Salt lake commuter college.
Stop w/ your crap. This thread wasn't about our 10-1 season, the thread was about some stupid coaching calls in the 4th quarter. I ain't whining about a 10-1 season, STOP with your bullcrap. I am ecstatic about the season and what can be if we win out. Any long term fan who loves Football will find something to point out in any game.

I guarantee Wells aint running that kid out their to catch the punt in Boise next week in the 4th quarter in the final minutes ever again. If he did, He's an idiot. End of story.

GO AGGIES!

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 17th, 2018, 10:02 pm

And for the record, I'm not a Well's hater. I would be just fine if he decided to stay at USU for the next few years.
Unfortunately in Football, all bad coaching calls get blamed on the Head Coach.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 17th, 2018, 10:26 pm

AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 9:08 pm
GeoAg wrote:
This thread is nutso.

Fellas. IT was SNOWING, COLD, 4th QTR, everyone was frozen. Your Nationally ranked #13, A shot at a NY6 bowl game, your AHEAD/WINNING the game. Wells might land the biggest job of his life if he wins out this year. Did I mention it was SNOWING and COLD. You DONT throw your freshman who hasn't caught punts all year out there and say go catch it, don't let it bounce 5 yards down field on a cold/wet field. Basically coach's, Matt included must have had Brain Freeze in 4th qtr. This dude had no business trying to catch the punt, Nobody was even close to him.

Then Add in Matt Wells Lost in RENO 2 years ago, we lost to CSU in Logan 5-6 years ago on same play. No way do I ask a Freshman in the 4th qtr in this big of a game to catch the punt. Maybe in the 1st qtr on a Sunny Day. Maybe.

As Soon as I saw who was trying to catch it, I thought we are screwed. 100% Wells and Staff's Fault. And this wasn't the only bone head call in 4th qtr.
The freshman in question has played all year, including fielding four punts. He is the only player other than Nathan to field a punt for us this season. He was the right person to have on the field.

Asking him to fair catch if unimpeded, which he was, is the right call 100% of the time. Running away from the ball and letting it roll to the five yard line would have been a terrible result.

You trust your players to do the job. This was the right decision.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 17th, 2018, 10:33 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:26 pm
AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 9:08 pm
GeoAg wrote:
This thread is nutso.

The freshman in question has played all year, including fielding four punts. He is the only player other than Nathan to field a punt for us this season. He was the right person to have on the field.

Asking him to fair catch if unimpeded, which he was, is the right call 100% of the time. Running away from the ball and letting it roll to the five yard line would have been a terrible result.

You trust your players to do the job. This was the right decision.
Well it’s good to know that bad field position is worse than a turnover that leads to a TD.

astroman31

Post by astroman31 » November 17th, 2018, 10:33 pm

And the premise of this thread is that it is obvious that Coach Wells sucks in close games. If that is true, and it is not, then Coach Wells has done a masterful coaching job not getting in close games this season. So, in a sense, his is coaching within his strengths.

And we won a close game today against an inspired foe. It was legit. We earned it. We deserved it. I am proud of the win.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 17th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Ummm this wasn’t his 1st game on punt return but the bigger head scratcher is Jordan just told me that Jalen Green is also his back-up, he should have been in there...

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 17th, 2018, 10:41 pm

taniataylor wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:36 pm
Ummm this wasn’t his 1st game on punt return but the bigger head scratcher is Jordan just told me that Jalen Green is also his back-up, he should have been in there...
RU FREAKING Kidding Me?????????

Floridaggie just said this kid was backup. Green has solid hands.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 17th, 2018, 10:43 pm

AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:41 pm
taniataylor wrote:

I just kicked a puppy.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 17th, 2018, 10:44 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:43 pm
AggieSox wrote:
taniataylor wrote:

I just kicked a puppy.
I just stopped talking about it after he said that. But we got the win so it is what it is

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 17th, 2018, 10:47 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:43 pm
AggieSox wrote:
taniataylor wrote:

I just kicked a puppy.
:) :) :)

Locked Previous topicNext topic