Wells still sucks in Close Games

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
usufan1

Re: Wells still sucks in Close Games

Post by usufan1 » November 17th, 2018, 11:02 pm

AggieSox wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:43 pm
AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:41 pm
taniataylor wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:36 pm
Ummm this wasn’t his 1st game on punt return but the bigger head scratcher is Jordan just told me that Jalen Green is also his back-up, he should have been in there...
RU FREAKING Kidding Me?????????

Floridaggie just said this kid was backup. Green has solid hands.
I just kicked a puppy.
:) :) :)
Don't like puppies AggieSox?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » November 17th, 2018, 11:14 pm

If I am remembering the game correctly, at this point we were up by 5 with about 2:30 remaining. I will assume that Tompkins fields that punt correctly at least 90% of the time. (I hope that's a conservative estimate. If even our backups are fumbling 10% of punts, we have some serious problems with both recruiting and player development.) If you don't field that punt, there is a good chance that we end up with the ball inside our own five-yard line. At that point, a botched snap or hand off or even a sack can result in a safety. If CSU gets a safety, they now have the ball with two minutes left. They only need a field goal to send it to OT, and they win the game outright with a touchdown. Even if we avoid the safety, a three and out means that CSU gets the ball back around midfield with tons of time left on the clock, and a touchdown would win the game for them. Twenty yards of field position would put USU in a far better position in that situation. I personally wouldn't give away 20 yards of field position just because I was worried about the 10% chance that Tompkins muffs the punt.

Sure, if there were less time on the clock, you don't field that punt. Indeed, I might not have fielded the punt if CSU were out of time outs. But you have to field the punt when you are protecting a five-point lead with 2:30 remaining and the other side has all their time outs. Getting the ball on your own one-yard line and risking a safety would have been a much bigger risk than letting Tompkins field the punt.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 17th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Even if he catches it, there is a good chance we punt it 10 yards and not much changes.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 17th, 2018, 11:34 pm

NVAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Even if he catches it, there is a good chance we punt it 10 yards and not much changes.
But isn’t that still better than fumbling the punt?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 17th, 2018, 11:37 pm

We won, it doesn’t really matter. You are right.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 17th, 2018, 11:46 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 11:14 pm
If I am remembering the game correctly, at this point we were up by 5 with about 2:30 remaining. I will assume that Tompkins fields that punt correctly at least 90% of the time. (I hope that's a conservative estimate. If even our backups are fumbling 10% of punts, we have some serious problems with both recruiting and player development.) If you don't field that punt, there is a good chance that we end up with the ball inside our own five-yard line. At that point, a botched snap or hand off or even a sack can result in a safety. If CSU gets a safety, they now have the ball with two minutes left. They only need a field goal to send it to OT, and they win the game outright with a touchdown. Even if we avoid the safety, a three and out means that CSU gets the ball back around midfield with tons of time left on the clock, and a touchdown would win the game for them. Twenty yards of field position would put USU in a far better position in that situation. I personally wouldn't give away 20 yards of field position just because I was worried about the 10% chance that Tompkins muffs the punt.

Sure, if there were less time on the clock, you don't field that punt. Indeed, I might not have fielded the punt if CSU were out of time outs. But you have to field the punt when you are protecting a five-point lead with 2:30 remaining and the other side has all their time outs. Getting the ball on your own one-yard line and risking a safety would have been a much bigger risk than letting Tompkins field the punt.
Yeah good points. Maybe we would have got a first down even though we got the ball from the 5, maybe we even get a couple first downs or even run out the clock or hell maybe we score a TD but But one thing we know for sure if he doesn’t field that ball we don’t turn the ball over to them, which is the absolute worst possible thing that can happen in that situation.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » November 17th, 2018, 11:53 pm

Say what you want, but that last TD to Vaughns was a money play call.

Colorado State May have outplayed us, but they didn’t outcoach us.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 17th, 2018, 11:55 pm

usufan1 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 11:02 pm
AggieSox wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AggieSox wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Ummm this wasn’t his 1st game on punt return but the bigger head scratcher is Jordan just told me that Jalen Green is also his back-up, he should have been in there...

I just kicked a puppy.
:) :) :)
Don't like puppies AggieSox?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I do like puppies.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 18th, 2018, 12:02 am

taniataylor wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:44 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AggieSox wrote:
taniataylor wrote:

I just kicked a puppy.
I just stopped talking about it after he said that. But we got the win so it is what it is

If this is TRUE, this proves the point. Wells and staff made an idiotic call in letting this kid actually catch the punt.
Why wasn't GREEN out there?

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 18th, 2018, 12:04 am

Elkaggie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 11:46 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:

Yeah good points. Maybe we would have got a first down even though we got the ball from the 5, maybe we even get a couple first downs or even run out the clock or hell maybe we score a TD but But one thing we know for sure if he doesn’t field that ball we don’t turn the ball over to them, which is the absolute worst possible thing that can happen in that situation.
Elkaggie is the voice of Reason. Thank you Even bigger question. Why wasn't Green out there catching it???????

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 18th, 2018, 12:07 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 11:53 pm

It was a Great Play call for sure. You cant say we outcoached them, they played really well on offense and had a very solid game plan to beat us. I would say they outcoached us today if you had to pick someone.

NibleyAg

Post by NibleyAg » November 18th, 2018, 12:11 am

I think the whole football team, coaches included had a miserable day. Personally I hated the play calling at the end of the first half as well. Lack of a timeout could have easily cost us three points.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 18th, 2018, 12:13 am

Because Green hasn't fielded a punt all year.

If Green had been the one who muffed it, you all would be wondering why the regular return guy want back there. You know, the one that had fielded several points this season and practiced all week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » November 18th, 2018, 12:26 am

Tania,

Love your insight and passion, but do have a serious question, has your son ever said anything to you about being on this board and publicly stating who you are? I can’t imagine it would sit well with Coach Wells when you publicly question and call out his game situation decisions. I personally love it, but do wonder about it. I love having your son on this team and the way he represents the school I graduated from both on and off the field.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » November 18th, 2018, 12:42 am

AggieSox wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 12:07 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:

It was a Great Play call for sure. You cant say we outcoached them, they played really well on offense and had a very solid game plan to beat us. I would say they outcoached us today if you had to pick someone.
I think the coaching was even honestly.

They were able to run the ball and make some great back shoulder throws and passes. This is more due to the CSU players playing harder than us. Not lack of coaching on Well’s part.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 18th, 2018, 1:08 am

FeartheFro wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 12:26 am
Tania,

Love your insight and passion, but do have a serious question, has your son ever said anything to you about being on this board and publicly stating who you are? I can’t imagine it would sit well with Coach Wells when you publicly question and call out his game situation decisions. I personally love it, but do wonder about it. I love having your son on this team and the way he represents the school I graduated from both on and off the field.

Jordan knows I am on here and I don’t question Coach Well’s coaching choices. Unlike the actual topic of this thread, I dont think he sucks, I do know he’s human and we all make weird decisions. I generally keep my opinions about coaching and players ( other than Jordan) to myself.

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 18th, 2018, 1:30 am

I actually didn't have much issue with Wells today. Every time they showed him I was happy to see that he was upset and yelling at his team to do their job. I was glad to see he was as pissed as I was about how the game was unfolding. As for the original topic, I thought we would be celebrating that this is the first time we have won since 2015 in a game that was decided by 7 or fewer points. FINALLY! 9 in a row before this we have lost when decided by a TD or less. It took a miracle foot out of bounds on the last play for it to finally happen but 3 years later we finally have the monkey off our back. So Wells can now claim he is 1-9 in the last 10 games decided by 7 or fewer. Yep, he still sucks in close games and it's gonna take a while for that not to be true.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 18th, 2018, 1:48 am

I didn't read all these posts. So forgive me if I bring up something discussed already. I thought a huge play for us was when our offense drove the ball all the way down the field and we had a 4th and 1 inside the 10 I believe. I think if he goes for it and we get it. The whole game changes for our offense and momentum. Thoughts?

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 18th, 2018, 4:22 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:

Not being remotely prepared for the fake punt in that game situation was inexcusable

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » November 18th, 2018, 4:25 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:24 pm
astroman31 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:21 pm
Gee whiz. Are you saying that Wells should have predicted the muff, thus given instructions to let the punt fall?

Catching punts is what these guys are trained to do, even freshmen. You have to trust your player to do his job.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Have you only been an Aggie game for one year? Wells lost a game like this 2 years ago in Reno for a similar mistake.
I was practically yelling at my phone to let it go. Then when it was obvious he was going to try to catch it I was just saying over and over, "please just catch the ball."

It's almost like we are a broken record sometimes with certain things. You can almost predict exactly how a game is going to end. several drives before it unfolds. I wouldn't have predicted the out of bounds call on that last play though. That was crazy.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » November 18th, 2018, 4:26 am

aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 1:48 am
I didn't read all these posts. So forgive me if I bring up something discussed already. I thought a huge play for us was when our offense drove the ball all the way down the field and we had a 4th and 1 inside the 10 I believe. I think if he goes for it and we get it. The whole game changes for our offense and momentum. Thoughts?
I agree. But if we don't make it...

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 18th, 2018, 6:00 am

Elkaggie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:33 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:26 pm
AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 9:08 pm
GeoAg wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:19 pm
This thread is nutso.

Thompkins has been the backup there all year and hasn't muffed a punt. Nobody is really a freshman anymore in game 11. If Wells would have put some one else in who hadn't been practicing abd they muffed the punt, that would have been questionable. Playing the guy who has been the backup all year at that position is not. If he would have not trues to catch it and gave up 25 yards of field position you all would have complained about that. No coaching error on that period.
Fellas. IT was SNOWING, COLD, 4th QTR, everyone was frozen. Your Nationally ranked #13, A shot at a NY6 bowl game, your AHEAD/WINNING the game. Wells might land the biggest job of his life if he wins out this year. Did I mention it was SNOWING and COLD. You DONT throw your freshman who hasn't caught punts all year out there and say go catch it, don't let it bounce 5 yards down field on a cold/wet field. Basically coach's, Matt included must have had Brain Freeze in 4th qtr. This dude had no business trying to catch the punt, Nobody was even close to him.

Then Add in Matt Wells Lost in RENO 2 years ago, we lost to CSU in Logan 5-6 years ago on same play. No way do I ask a Freshman in the 4th qtr in this big of a game to catch the punt. Maybe in the 1st qtr on a Sunny Day. Maybe.

As Soon as I saw who was trying to catch it, I thought we are screwed. 100% Wells and Staff's Fault. And this wasn't the only bone head call in 4th qtr.
The freshman in question has played all year, including fielding four punts. He is the only player other than Nathan to field a punt for us this season. He was the right person to have on the field.

Asking him to fair catch if unimpeded, which he was, is the right call 100% of the time. Running away from the ball and letting it roll to the five yard line would have been a terrible result.

You trust your players to do the job. This was the right decision.
Well it’s good to know that bad field position is worse than a turnover that leads to a TD.
In close games we shouldn't even run a play - after al, they might fumble. Further, yank all underclassmen off the field as they might make a mistake. But no, we aren't playing not to lose.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 18th, 2018, 6:03 am

AggieSox wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 12:02 am
taniataylor wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:44 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AggieSox wrote:
taniataylor wrote:

I just kicked a puppy.
I just stopped talking about it after he said that. But we got the win so it is what it is

If this is TRUE, this proves the point. Wells and staff made an idiotic call in letting this kid actually catch the punt.
Why wasn't GREEN out there?
Green hasn't fielded a punt in a game in over a year
year. That's why.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 18th, 2018, 6:09 am

Elkaggie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 11:46 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:

Or maybe our underclassman quarterback fumbles the ball on the first play from the five yane. After all underclassmen shouldn't be on the field late in the game and, late in a tight game, we shouldn't do anything because we might fumble.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 18th, 2018, 6:24 am

StanfordAggie wrote:

Its a no brainer. It was the right call.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 18th, 2018, 6:28 am

astroman31 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 8:29 pm
This thread is Cougarboard worthy.

I was thinking the same thing.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » November 18th, 2018, 8:43 am

dogie wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 8:34 pm
72AgGrad wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 5:26 pm
AggieSox wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 3:50 pm
Sorry to point out the obvious.
I trust, then, that you are prepared to take over as HC next year. If not, then tell us, first, just EXACTLY what you would have done in his place and, failing that, just who you would hire to take his place after you fire him tomorrow.
Two fallacies in one outburst! I love it!

1) When a fan criticizes a coach, it isn’t a valid counterpoint to say that the fan couldn’t do better as a coach.

2). The original poster didn’t call for Wells to be fired tomorrow.
No fallacies at all. When a fan says the coach sucks, that fan IS saying he thinks he knows more than the coach, thinks he could do better. And when that fan says he thinks Wells, who is now in his 6th year as HC still sucks, just what, other than replacing him, would the remedy be?

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 18th, 2018, 9:07 am

AGNUMPI wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:24 pm
astroman31 wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 7:21 pm
Gee whiz. Are you saying that Wells should have predicted the muff, thus given instructions to let the punt fall?

Catching punts is what these guys are trained to do, even freshmen. You have to trust your player to do his job.

Have you only been an Aggie game for one year? Wells lost a game like this 2 years ago in Reno for a similar mistake.
I was practically yelling at my phone to let it go. Then when it was obvious he was going to try to catch it I was just saying over and over, "please just catch the ball."

It's almost like we are a broken record sometimes with certain things. You can almost predict exactly how a game is going to end. several drives before it unfolds. I wouldn't have predicted the out of bounds call on that last play though. That was crazy.
It's time for everyone to put the muffed punts out of our heads. If we all continue to think about it happening it's going to. The universe works in mysterious ways. Law of attraction.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 18th, 2018, 9:14 am

Coaching calls really are a 50/50 shot most of the time. Your not going to make a correct call everytime. Wells dosent suck in close games. Fans over analyze in close games. Hindsight is a bad thought in bad games. But good teams and coaches learn from it. I see improvements in close game and hope the next one we come out with the W.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » November 18th, 2018, 9:38 am

The biggest head scratcher for me was the time out right before half time to give them a chance to run another play when they seemed content to let the clock run out. Maybe he thought they'd punt but with 2 seconds left they didn't need to

sneed

Post by sneed » November 18th, 2018, 10:17 am

I was fine with him back there. Watching it live I said to let it go because I thought it had a back spin and we would get an extra 5 yards if he lets it go. Hard to tell in the replay though.

https://youtu.be/SzhfDz0VYXc

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » November 18th, 2018, 10:28 am

aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 1:48 am
I believe we were tied at that point. Kick the field goal and take the lead. The right call was made.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 18th, 2018, 10:33 am

ratofallaggies wrote:Soooo predictable, now that the offense didn't move as well it's back to being MW fault instead of Yosts credit when the offense is moving. Tompkins is the kick returner and fumbled the ball... not Wells. I'm pretty sure that if he had let it go and it dribbled down to the two yrd line, the same ones on here (I can't express myself without swearing) that he attempted to field the punt would be doing the same thing about letting it go. Have fun complaining about a W fellas! 10-1 and the chance to host the CCG are on the horizon. Go Aggies!
This this this this freaking THIS. 10-1 boys. It's okay to be happy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 18th, 2018, 10:40 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 10:33 am
ratofallaggies wrote:Soooo predictable, now that the offense didn't move as well it's back to being MW fault instead of Yosts credit when the offense is moving. Tompkins is the kick returner and fumbled the ball... not Wells. I'm pretty sure that if he had let it go and it dribbled down to the two yrd line, the same ones on here (I can't express myself without swearing) that he attempted to field the punt would be doing the same thing about letting it go. Have fun complaining about a W fellas! 10-1 and the chance to host the CCG are on the horizon. Go Aggies!
This this this this freaking THIS. 10-1 boys. It's okay to be happy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
This, plus the other things is, we are 3-1 in games most would consider "close" this season.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 18th, 2018, 11:03 am

Wells is going to come on here, read this, and remember how we don’t appreciate him unless every game is a complete blowout. Then he’ll leave.

Locked Previous topicNext topic