Long Term Head Coach

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Empire of Dirt

Long Term Head Coach

Post by Empire of Dirt » November 30th, 2018, 7:24 am

It has been suggested that we need to hire a coach who is going to be here for a long time in order to build a successful program. Assuming this is possible, I am all for it.

That being said, I have an honest question for the Gary Andersen Fanboys.

What in the hell makes you think that Gary is that guy??? He has head coaching stints of: 1 year (yes, one effing year), 4 years, 2 years and 2 years. All of those were him voluntarily bailing. If I want a long term Coach Gary is the last guy I go to.

Also, he is 54 years old (but looks like he is 154.) At best we get 5-6 more years of good coaching from him.

I guess he told someone he loves Cache Valley or something.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

hickaggie

Re: Long Term Head Coach

Post by hickaggie » November 30th, 2018, 7:46 am

I think the point is that there is no one else you can hire that might be a long term solution other than him. Wells lasted 6 years because he missed the OSU job that Gary took and had 3 straight losing seasons after that and thus was too mediocre to fire or justify big bucks somewhere else.

Do you think it is going to be different for Hill. First he's going to have to decide to take or reject the Zoobs fireside preacher call in a year.

Even If he says screw that he'd have to screw up pretty bad to not win less than 8-9 games the next 2 years which will lead some desperate P5 to pay him 3 times as much.

Hard cold truth.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 30th, 2018, 7:49 am

I just want Hartwell to do his due diligence. If the high donors want something then they can bail us out if it doesn’t work out I guess.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 30th, 2018, 7:57 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 7:24 am
It has been suggested that we need to hire a coach who is going to be here for a long time in order to build a successful program. Assuming this is possible, I am all for it.

What in the hell makes you think that Gary is that guy??? He has head coaching stints of: 1 year (yes, one effing year), 4 years, 2 years and 2 years. All of those were him voluntarily bailing. If I want a long term Coach Gary is the last guy I go to.

Also, he is 54 years old (but looks like he is 154.) At best we get 5-6 more years of good coaching from him.

If any coach in the nation were going to stay at USU for a sustained period after having success, it would be Gary. I don't know if he'll get hired or if I want him to. But if he does, I think we can be fairly confident this he would retire here if he's not fired. For all intents and purposes he would plan on this being his last job and he learned his lesson from leaving last time.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on November 30th, 2018, 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Usurossco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » November 30th, 2018, 8:02 am

I think we got very lucky that ttu is paying us $800000. Find a guy who is not interested in interviewing every weekend of his coaching career. MW will probably still have one foot out the door at ttu. Hope they can handle his arrogance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 30th, 2018, 8:02 am

Learned from leaving USU. UW, or OSU? Honest question. I don't care about long term. I want a guy that can MAINTAIN what has been built and rebuilt here for 3-4 years and then next man up like Boise.

I obviously have huge concerns about GA. Guy could sell snow to an Eskimo for sure though.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » November 30th, 2018, 8:08 am

I'm on the fence about Gary coming back, but I think he would stick around simply because nobody else will hire him. If he had turned around some other program and not ours, I'd be against even considering him given his history.

Aggies All the Way!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 30th, 2018, 8:13 am

dyedblue wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 8:02 am
Learned from leaving USU. UW, or OSU? Honest question. I don't care about long term. I want a guy that can MAINTAIN what has been built and rebuilt here for 3-4 years and then next man up like Boise.

I obviously have huge concerns about GA. Guy could sell snow to an Eskimo for sure though.

I hope Wells knows how to sell dirt.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 30th, 2018, 8:24 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:

What the hell kind of comment is that? "Also he is 54 years old..." ???????
If GA took the job now and continued on for 13 years.....he would be Nick Sabans age. Saban seems to be doing ok at 67.
I am usually very laid back and nothing gets to me....but it does get irritating that some of you younger guys on this board
have no respect for someone who is older, wiser, and has a lot more experience in many things. I am 70. I just wanted
you to know that so you can then remember to ignore what I say on this board because I am over 54 years old.

(Most of what I just said was typed in with a smile on my face. I know you younger guys mean zero disrespect as to the age of someone on this board. Just having a little fun.

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » November 30th, 2018, 8:38 am

dyedblue wrote:

Dirk Koetter era (1998–2000)
Dan Hawkins era (2001–2005)
Chris Petersen era (2006–2013)
Bryan Harsin era (2014–present)

What are we defining as long term?
Last edited by aggieaggie on November 30th, 2018, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 30th, 2018, 8:41 am

For me long term is getting a coach for 6-8 years. Anything after that is gravy. Wells would have lasted two years if GA hadn't taken the OSU job from him in late 2014. He was only here for six years because the next three years were down.

GA strikes me as the only guy we can get who would stay for 6+ years while STILL being successful. Other coaches are going to see this as only a stepping stone and will bail after 2-3 years of success when a P5 school throws a few million their way.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » November 30th, 2018, 8:44 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 8:24 am
Empire of Dirt wrote:

If GA took the job now and continued on for 13 years.....he would be Nick Sabans age. Saban seems to be doing ok at 67.
I am usually very laid back and nothing gets to me....but it does get irritating that some of you younger guys on this board
have no respect for someone who is older, wiser, and has a lot more experience in many things. I am 70. I just wanted
you to know that so you can then remember to ignore what I say on this board because I am over 54 years old.

(Most of what I just said was typed in with a smile on my face. I know you younger guys mean zero disrespect as to the age of someone on this board. Just having a little fun.
:) :) :)

I'm not sure I count as one of the young ones on this board. I did just buy a red sports car this last year (I can finally afford the right one and I am old enough to need it to make me feel young.) Pretty tame mid life crisis so far.

I'm not saying that 54 is old, but Andersen seems old to me. I don't see him coaching for a "long time." Whatever that means.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 30th, 2018, 8:47 am

I think Gary has a different insight and perspective now.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 30th, 2018, 8:49 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 8:44 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 8:24 am
Empire of Dirt wrote:

:) :) :)

I'm not sure I count as one of the young ones on this board. I did just buy a red sports car this last year (I can finally afford the right one and I am old enough to need it to make me feel young.) Pretty tame mid life crisis so far.

I'm not saying that 54 is old, but Andersen seems old to me. I don't see him coaching for a "long time." Whatever that means.
Geez......I hope I didn't offend you by calling you a young one. I envy your red sports car. GA looks a little old for his age...I agree.

snoel

Post by snoel » November 30th, 2018, 8:51 am

aggieaggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Didn’t all those guys come from within the same program?

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 30th, 2018, 1:45 pm

snoel wrote:
aggieaggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Hawkins did not, Koetter came from Idaho State, Peterson was in program, Hardin played and was an assistant at Boise, coached a year or 2 at Ark. St., then returned.

As for GA, past performance is a great indicator of future performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 30th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
snoel wrote:
aggieaggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Hawkins did not, Koetter came from Idaho State, Peterson was in program, Hardin played and was an assistant at Boise, coached a year or 2 at Ark. St., then returned.

Ha ha. Exactly. Gary’s past performance at Utah State is a very strong indicator of his future performance here. Why do you think so many fans want him ?

You made a great point, just not the one you thought you were making.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 30th, 2018, 1:49 pm

His most recent performance leaves a lot to be desired.......

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 30th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 1:45 pm
snoel wrote:
aggieaggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

bluegrouse wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 1:49 pm
Imagine if Alabma's AD shared the same thought process as you guys. He never would've hired Nick Saban in 2007 who had just gone 6-10 as the head coach of the Dolphins, but had previously proved he was a good coach in college.

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » November 30th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Honestly, a long term head coach just isnt in the cards. Good G5 coaches move up. Thats the industry. Moves like this are a badge of honor.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 30th, 2018, 2:43 pm

I hope we have to find a new coach every 3-5 years.

Hail Aggies!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 30th, 2018, 2:46 pm

TheSauerkrautKid wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Honestly, a long term head coach just isnt in the cards. Good G5 coaches move up. Thats the industry. Moves like this are a badge of honor.
But it is in the cards because there is a candidate without the same options and maybe even desires to move up who was a very good G5 coach. Now whether that is the card we want to play is debatable and whether that card would play out the way we want is a gamble. However to say it isn't in the cards in this case isn't true. Its just a wild card.

Full

Long Term Head Coach

Post by Full » November 30th, 2018, 2:56 pm

All the names I’ve seen floated would likely leave if successful (although there are some saying Maile wouldn’t). With Gary you have a coach that was successful at USU, but has a really poor track record at the P5 level. P5 teams will see this track record and it makes it harder for GA to leave than other names. It’s also obvious the stress got to Gary at every level, from his fall in 2010 at USU to the Oregon State exit. USU is one of the least covered jobs in FBS football. If you don’t believe me listen to the “flagship” radio station talk Utes all day today or have a look at the press conference held today in Logan. I think the stress level as head coach in Logan is low enough that GA wants another go.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 30th, 2018, 3:14 pm

I don't think the length of.a coaches stint.at USU should even be part of the criteria for our next.HC. I do however believe that hiring a guy who will operate the program in what is USU's best interest. These should coincide but that's not always the case.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 30th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:

I'm not a fanboy. But I think if he came back he would stay. He had a good thing going here and since been kicked in the balls. In life we learn from experience good or bad. I feel like he would come in and be very happy sticking around. Why would he go and have the same issues. Plus I feel like he genuinely likes Logan and USU.

Just my thoughts.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 30th, 2018, 3:34 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 1:55 pm
Jjoey53 wrote:
snoel wrote:
aggieaggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

bluegrouse wrote:
Imagine if Alabma's AD shared the same thought process as you guys. He never would've hired Nick Saban in 2007 who had just gone 6-10 as the head coach of the Dolphins, but had previously proved he was a good coach in college.
Haha. Yeah, because those two are so similar..........

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 30th, 2018, 3:44 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 3:34 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
snoel wrote:
aggieaggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

bluegrouse wrote:
Swish can defend himself, but look closely, he said "similar thought process". He wasn't comparing Nick to Gary.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 30th, 2018, 3:58 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 3:44 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
snoel wrote:
aggieaggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

bluegrouse wrote:
Swish can defend himself, but look closely, he said "similar thought process". He wasn't comparing Nick to Gary.
Completely different circumstances call for completely different thought processes.

2004AG

Long Term Head Coach

Post by 2004AG » November 30th, 2018, 4:03 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 3:44 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
snoel wrote:
aggieaggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

bluegrouse wrote:
Completely different circumstances call for completely different thought processes.
By that thinking, because no two circumstances are exactly the same, past history can’t affect our current thought processes.

What Gary did at Oregon State means nothing because it’s a different circumstance, therefore a different thought process. Right ?

imanaggie

Post by imanaggie » November 30th, 2018, 4:30 pm

IF they decide to hire Gary, he should be willing to agree to a massive buyout clause in his contract...say $2,500,000. This would keep potential suitors at bay and deliver a payday if, for some reason, it happened.

Locked Previous topicNext topic