Gary Andersen is coming back.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TrueBlueAggie123

Re: Gary Andersen is coming back.

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 30th, 2018, 9:39 pm

So when can we expect a GA announcement now that he’s finished with Utah? ::joking::

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 30th, 2018, 9:48 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:So when can we expect a GA announcement now that he’s finished with Utah? ::joking::

Hartwell is gonna be too busy dicking around New York to be interviewing candidates. No wonder it’s gonna take two weeks to hire a coach. He’s got to get his vacation over with first.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 30th, 2018, 9:57 pm

If I was a Texas Tech fan I'd be concerned that this thread is a lot longer than the Matt Wells leaving thread.

#hornsup!

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 30th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 9:57 pm
If I was a Texas Tech fan I'd be concerned that this thread is a lot longer than the Matt Wells leaving thread.
Wonder how long it will take them to figure out it was Gary Andersen that changed us from a perennial doormat into a winner:

https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/2018 ... tech-job/1

"?Wells?, who made inroads toward winning the past six years as head coach at perennial doormat Utah State..."

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 30th, 2018, 10:29 pm

2004AG wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:So when can we expect a GA announcement now that he’s finished with Utah? ::joking::

Hartwell is gonna be too busy dicking around New York to be interviewing candidates. No wonder it’s gonna take two weeks to hire a coach. He’s got to get his vacation over with first.

Relax. Get the right guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nismo1616
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nismo1616 » November 30th, 2018, 10:42 pm

jeepnfonz wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 6:44 pm
I just saw Gary Andersen on TV. Man I miss that guy. Just bring him back
I thought the same thing while watching the Pac 12 game. if there is a mutual interest here, it has to happen. That dude brought such an energy to Logan...

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 30th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 7:23 pm
I wouldn’t be hard in raggie - what he said sounded a lot like what I’ve heard from some insiders although it was before Wells was a sure exit. I’ve also seen how quickly things change and that sometimes even high up insiders are not privy to the ADs brain. I appreciate him sharing what he has heard- I also hope we still have a chance at Gary.
There are only 3 people that know what's going on -- Hartwell, the search firm he's working with, and Jim Laub. If your source isn't one of them -- you don't have a source; you just have better placed individuals that like to talk.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 1st, 2018, 7:23 am

2004AG wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 9:48 pm

I would think that he would be doing some initial interviews in New York. As has been mentioned, even though Hartwell knew this was going to happen, he had to wait until Matt left to start interviewing. All he could do was put feelers out to gage the interest of those on his list. I’m sure the firm that we hired has already been doing this for a while. He mentioned in his conference that one of the reasons he picked the firm was because of their respect for confidentiality. I’m sure this has been in the works for a while. By all accounts, TT has been in contact with Matt and his agent for at least a couple of weeks, if not more, and we’ll need that amount of time as well. Most of the coaches that we are going to interview are in middle of their own seasons so setting up interviews might take some delicate planning. Hartwell is not going to New York for a vacation, he is to smart for that. I’m just glad that he is leading us through this process because in 10-14 days we are going to have a very good coach.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2018, 8:39 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I would think that he would be doing some initial interviews in New York. As has been mentioned, even though Hartwell knew this was going to happen, he had to wait until Matt left to start interviewing. All he could do was put feelers out to gage the interest of those on his list. I’m sure the firm that we hired has already been doing this for a while. He mentioned in his conference that one of the reasons he picked the firm was because of their respect for confidentiality. I’m sure this has been in the works for a while. By all accounts, TT has been in contact with Matt and his agent for at least a couple of weeks, if not more, and we’ll need that amount of time as well. Most of the coaches that we are going to interview are in middle of their own seasons so setting up interviews might take some delicate planning. Hartwell is not going to New York for a vacation, he is to smart for that. I’m just glad that he is leading us through this process because in 10-14 days we are going to have a very good coach.
He should be doing the interviews himself the next few days and make the decision first of the week, not hanging out with other AD’s in New York. Gary and Jay, to name two, are here, not New York.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 1st, 2018, 10:06 am

2004AG wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 8:39 am
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

He should be doing the interviews himself the next few days and make the decision first of the week, not hanging out with other AD’s in New York. Gary and Jay, to name two, are here, not New York.

Have you considered that they didn’t make the list?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2018, 10:18 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Then he’s not doing his due diligence.

There isn’t anybody in New York that is a candidate for the job either way.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 1st, 2018, 10:32 am

2004AG wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 10:18 am
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

But he’s gonna talk to his bros in NY, who are going to tell him who to hire....

seabass

Post by seabass » December 1st, 2018, 10:34 am

nismo1616 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 10:42 pm
jeepnfonz wrote:
I thought the same thing while watching the Pac 12 game. if there is a mutual interest here, it has to happen. That dude brought such an energy to Logan...
Nostalgia is taking over- I will be disappointed if it's not GA. He looked plenty energetic on the sidelines last night. Getting him now will help us keep the recruits.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2018, 10:34 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
2004AG wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 10:18 am
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

But he’s gonna talk to his bros in NY, who are going to tell him who to hire....
Tim Duryea thinks that a a great idea.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2018, 10:42 am

Hopefully if Gary is the guy it does mean we play Utah again. Utah losing their chump ad and us gaining a close friend of Whit could change things.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2018, 11:00 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 7:12 am
You have an obligation to make the team better. Putting personal business ahead of the team is imo a fire-able offense.
You are really reaching now. Wells made great staff decisions the last two years that led us to having the longest winning streak in school history. Implying that not hiring a former coach who was coming off the Oregon State debacle is a "fireable offense" is ludicrous. You don't know how Andersen on staff would have affected the team, but we do know what did happen led to one of our best seasons in school history.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 1st, 2018, 11:05 am

i don't think GA is coming.

and that's ok. i think we'll do just fine.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 1st, 2018, 11:17 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:05 am
i don't think GA is coming.

and that's ok. i think we'll do just fine.
Same with me. Hartwell has no connection to GA. He did well hiring Smith. Trust the process. The idea that donors could be in control the process is also a bit hard for me to accept. We're a little more ethical than that, aren't we?

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 1st, 2018, 11:24 am

El Sapo wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:17 am
Same with me. Hartwell has no connection to GA. He did well hiring Smith. Trust the process. The idea that donors could be in control the process is also a bit hard for me to accept. We're a little more ethical than that, aren't we?
not to be contrarian, but i don't see it as a problem of ethics. the boosters are just fighting for what they want. big time boosters know that hartwell will eventually be gone and they'll still be here. the AD needs to keep the relationship between himself and USU athletics and the donors in good shape. when the goals and desires of one party are drastically off base, then we have problems. i don't think the donors wanting GA back are off base, and i don't think hartwell's position (whatever it is, i have zero idea and prefer not to speculate) is probably not off-base either.

other programs have this same conflict. it's healthy. or rather, it can be.

but either way... i think the longer it takes for an answer the less likely it is to be Gary Andersen. influential boosters want him. the fans would probably eat it up. despite my own misgivings, i admit there's a high ceiling to GA's ability here. the only thing holding it back is whether or not hartwell or GA want it. so yeah... the longer it goes on the more it shows that either GA or Hartwell are either disinterested or unsure... which is pretty much just plain disinterest.

:noidea:

we'll see, i guess.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 1st, 2018, 11:27 am

So much (I can't express myself without swearing) in one thread and so little time

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 1st, 2018, 11:28 am

Aggieiester wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:27 am
So much s*** in one thread and so little time
it's a message board, brother. what'd you expect? :joking:

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » December 1st, 2018, 11:31 am

USUBlue wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 11:13 pm
There are only 3 people that know what's going on -- Hartwell, the search firm he's working with, and Jim Laub.
With a decision this important, I’d be highly suprised if President Cockett wasn’t involved. It’s not like you are hiring a new assistant professor for the English Dept.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 1st, 2018, 11:34 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:28 am
Aggieiester wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:27 am
So much s*** in one thread and so little time
it's a message board, brother. what'd you expect? :joking:
Has there been a run on Depend for men in Logan? :crazy:

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 1st, 2018, 11:49 am

Aggieiester wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:34 am
not sure, big guy. i don't live in logan.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 1st, 2018, 11:55 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:49 am
Aggieiester wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:34 am
not sure, big guy. i don't live in logan.
Wasn't directed at you actually

aggieaz

Post by aggieaz » December 1st, 2018, 12:17 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:24 am
El Sapo wrote:
not to be contrarian, but i don't see it as a problem of ethics. the boosters are just fighting for what they want. big time boosters know that hartwell will eventually be gone and they'll still be here. the AD needs to keep the relationship between himself and USU athletics and the donors in good shape. when the goals and desires of one party are drastically off base, then we have problems. i don't think the donors wanting GA back are off base, and i don't think hartwell's position (whatever it is, i have zero idea and prefer not to speculate) is probably not off-base either.

but either way... i think the longer it takes for an answer the less likely it is to be Gary Andersen. influential boosters want him. the fans would probably eat it up. despite my own misgivings, i admit there's a high ceiling to GA's ability here. the only thing holding it back is whether or not hartwell or GA want it. so yeah... the longer it goes on the more it shows that either GA or Hartwell are either disinterested or unsure... which is pretty much just plain disinterest.

we'll see, i guess.
This is just my thought process, if GA wants the job enough, he will push for ways to overcome Hartwell's concerns, better defining expectations and contract details. Resistance in the situation (by boosters or Hartwell) can clarify the arguments of each party and hopefully lead to better decision. If the statements of booster's and Hartwell's are true, it is not going to hurt to consider many options. The best option maybe Gary, but looking at all the options first is not a bad idea. I would say some extra time (1-2 weeks) is on our side.

If I were in Hartwell's shoes, I would say, "We know we have 1 good option, now let's look other options to make sure it is right."

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 1st, 2018, 12:30 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:24 am
El Sapo wrote:

we'll see, i guess.
Like your post

When GA was hired, Scott Barnes made a road trip and had alumni luncheons announcing/introducing GA. He said that GA was "the guy" that would turn our program around. At the lunchon I heard a big time booster tell Scott Barnes, " GA better turn the program around, your job depends on it." That represents the way I hope the process plays out. Let Harwell make the selection, and hold him accountable. I'm hopeful that we keep moving forward with a hiring process that allows searching for the most qualified candidate. It took a long time to change our culture, I don't want it going back.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 1st, 2018, 12:32 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:31 am
USUBlue wrote:
There are only 3 people that know what's going on -- Hartwell, the search firm he's working with, and Jim Laub.
With a decision this important, I’d be highly suprised if President Cockett wasn’t involved. It’s not like you are hiring a new assistant professor for the English Dept.
She’s kind of busy feeding the world right now...

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 1st, 2018, 12:56 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:00 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 7:12 am
You have an obligation to make the team better. Putting personal business ahead of the team is imo a fire-able offense.
You are really reaching now. Wells made great staff decisions the last two years that led us to having the longest winning streak in school history. Implying that not hiring a former coach who was coming off the Oregon State debacle is a "fireable offense" is ludicrous. You don't know how Andersen on staff would have affected the team, but we do know what did happen led to one of our best seasons in school history.
Stawwwww man.

I said not doing whatever you can to make the program better in favor of Matt’s own personal feelings is fireable. This is true.

If a CEO has the opportunity to increase profits but doesn’t because of personal reasons he isn’t putting the company first, and is sacrificing the company for his own benefit.

I qualified my statement, and you conveniently left out the context. IF Wells did this because of personal reasons like wanting to dump us earlier for Oregon State; and was upset that Gary took the job instead- and the decision was personal and NOT football then it’s fireable. But the argument I was responding to is a boss shouldn’t want his former boss, and suggested Wells was protecting himself.

A football argument can be made, which is why I said “if”.

No, I don’t KNOW- but Utah took back Andersen who coached with Scalley, who he was over prior and they were a good team.

The whole “you don’t know argument” is weak because that could be said about almost anything.

You don’t KNOW that Alabama will be a really good team next year.

You don’t KNOW anything in life.

But there is a good reason to believe that Gary would have been a really guy to have on a football x’s And o’s Basis”

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » December 1st, 2018, 1:13 pm

Hartwell also made a homerun hire for Troy before coming to USU and they seem to be doing really well. I trust his decision making and process.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 1st, 2018, 1:27 pm

No new coach that is in control of his faculties would hire his predecessor back as an assistant coach. The last thing a team needs is to have its players conflicted as to loyalties. I cannot think of a high-profile example of this happening in any sport. Crazyness! :crazy:

ultramagnus

Post by ultramagnus » December 1st, 2018, 1:49 pm

seabass wrote:
nismo1616 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 10:42 pm
jeepnfonz wrote:
Nostalgia is taking over- I will be disappointed if it's not GA. He looked plenty energetic on the sidelines last night. Getting him now will help us keep the recruits.
Same here. At first I thought no way would GA coming back be a good situation. Then I watched the YouTube highlights of his Aggie teams...

I’d take him back in a heartbeat.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 1st, 2018, 3:44 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 11:31 am
USUBlue wrote:
Pres. Cockett will be involved in the final interviews and confirming the selection, but the real work on who is going to be presented to her are the 3 mentioned above. And I don't believe any of those 3 are going to be talking with anybody on this board.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » December 1st, 2018, 3:54 pm

Just a thought about Gary and the type of person he is/was. I can’t remember if it was his last year or second to last year but we were all frustrated with a certain type of play they kept calling. I sent him an email (not knowing or ever having met him) asking if he would explain why they were running the play during his next coachess how. I then thanked him for his efforts. Like many, I have my contact information on my signature line. Within minutes of me sending Gary the email, he was calling my cell to thank me for the email and explain why they were doing what they were doing. I’m not a whale or even a moderate donor. My father and I have seats and the west side. However, to Gary, that was a sufficient committment to the program that a fair question deserved a fair response. I’m not sure if he is the best fit now or the best candidate but he knows how to work the press and the fans and I certainly was impressed with his call and comments.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 1st, 2018, 4:01 pm

utaggies wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 1:27 pm
No new coach that is in control of his faculties would hire his predecessor back as an assistant coach. The last thing a team needs is to have its players conflicted as to loyalties. I cannot think of a high-profile example of this happening in any sport. Crazyness! :crazy:
Bobby Petrino hired John L. Smith at Arkansas from 2009-2011 and coached under him at several schools.

It wasn't the exact predecessor, but the guy he once answered to was now his employee.

Locked Previous topicNext topic