Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: Candidates

Post by ineptimusprime » December 2nd, 2018, 7:59 pm

I suspected Craig Smith would be the guy as soon as I heard his name thrown around. I have a similar feeling about Jay Hill. No inside information, but I think it'll be Hill at the end of the search unless the boosters force Hartwell's hand to rehire GA. I am not opposed to GA, but think Hill would be the better choice given: (1) GA spurned us once before; (2) the circumstances surrounding GA's departure from Oregon State; and (3) most importantly, his job performance at OSU. Could be wrong. Wouldn't be too sad if I am wrong as I think GA would be a fine choice. Just think it'll be Hill.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 2nd, 2018, 8:14 pm

ineptimusprime wrote: No inside information
You’re doing it wrong!

Hail Aggies!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 2nd, 2018, 8:20 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 8:14 pm
You’re doing it wrong!
It's Hill. I don't know if I can tell you this strong enough. I didn't believe it, but it is true. This is going to move quickly.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » December 2nd, 2018, 8:48 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 8:20 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 8:14 pm
You’re doing it wrong!
It's Hill. I don't know if I can tell you this strong enough. I didn't believe it, but it is true. This is going to move quickly.
Lol. Good stuff.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 2nd, 2018, 8:57 pm

Hill has the major flaw of being one of the only real options for the Zoobs. If we survive that we have him for 3 years max if he keeps the program at 7-8 wins. But I've made my argument about Andersen. It is what it is. He'll be great while he's here I think. And the jump from FCS isn't as challenging with a good team and no long term need to prove yourself with your own recruits. Entirely different situation than Wyoming.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 2nd, 2018, 10:28 pm

Looks like Mike McCarthy is available now.

Where only sage brush grows

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » December 2nd, 2018, 11:55 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 8:57 pm
Hill has the major flaw of being one of the only real options for the Zoobs. If we survive that we have him for 3 years max if he keeps the program at 7-8 wins. But I've made my argument about Andersen. It is what it is. He'll be great while he's here I think. And the jump from FCS isn't as challenging with a good team and no long term need to prove yourself with your own recruits. Entirely different situation than Wyoming.
I think they like to assume he'd come coach for them, but look at the dump it's turned into. They're ok I guess, but no conference and nothing but a buttcrack bowl to play in usually. I think he'd listen to that type of future offer, but ultimately he'd reject it in the end.

Maybe it's wishful thinking that the boobs will continue to claw for attention and succeed mildly over time. IDK if they'll fade away completely ever (sadly). But to my point, I don't see him really giving it much attention if he has a good thing going on here.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 3rd, 2018, 12:25 am

crazywookie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 11:55 pm
hickaggie wrote:
I think they like to assume he'd come coach for them, but look at the dump it's turned into. They're ok I guess, but no conference and nothing but a buttcrack bowl to play in usually. I think he'd listen to that type of future offer, but ultimately he'd reject it in the end.

Maybe it's wishful thinking that the boobs will continue to claw for attention and succeed mildly over time. IDK if they'll fade away completely ever (sadly). But to my point, I don't see him really giving it much attention if he has a good thing going on here.
Boobs get plenty of attention

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » December 3rd, 2018, 6:09 am

Not the fun kind silly.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 3rd, 2018, 7:12 am

crazywookie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 11:55 pm
hickaggie wrote:

This is from cougarboard, probably a troll, but interesting.
https://www.cougarboard.com/board/messa ... d=20877083

Jay Hill’s thoughts on BYU’s Football program
Hi all. I’m a longtime lurker/first time poster. Before I get into my post, I just wanted to give a little background: While I grew up an avid BYU fan, I was born and raised in the Ogden area and I ended up attending Weber State and playing for one of their sports programs. I am currently involved as a booster with Weber as well as being involved with the athletic department, so I’d like to remain anonymous. I’m sorry that I can’t go into further detail. Since attending Weber, I’ve remained a Wildcat through and through but I also keep the Cougs close to my heart and certainly continue to follow them very closely. This past week, I was involved in a discussion that is pretty eye opening and I thought some of you might be interested. Ok, sorry for the long intro, now let’s get down to business:

This past week I was visiting with 2 members of Weber’s athletic department as we talked about the USU opening and how Jay Hill might be headed to Logan. Both individuals were certain that if Jay gets offered the USU job, he’s a goner. However, what I found interesting is that one of the guys chimes in and said: “Jay has always been open with us about the fact that if Utah or USU ever pursue him, he will take either job”. I added in: “I’m sure BYU is on that list as well”. Both men informed me that Jay has already discussed with them that he would not leave Weber for BYU. I was pretty surprised by this considering that Jay is an extremely devout individual, and that the BYU job is certainly an upgrade over the Weber job. I told these guys as much and they both relayed to me that Jay has been told by several local coaches (including some currently @BYU) that it’s a bad idea to take the BYU job until there is a conference affiliation, relaxation of current admittance standards and a better relationship/possible relaxation of minor infractions between the honor code office and athletic department. I still somewhat scoffed at what they were saying and both gentleman went on to tell me that I would be shocked to see how hard it would be to fill the head coach position if Sitake was not to return. They adamantly stated that just about every coach in the state told Sitake not to take the HC job @BYU and that even Sitake himself knew it was probably a bad idea but that his love for BYU and Lavell was enough to tip the scales. At the end of the conversation the higher ranking official told me that BYU football’s Head Coaching position is currently “the least desirable” HC position in the state. He even said that taking the Weber or Southern Utah job puts you in a position to build up your name and get yourself a conference affiliated G5 HC job with a program that doesn’t face any of the challenges that currently face BYU. His last sentence on the subject was: “Until BYU gets into a football conference, the program is going backwards and the powers that be are getting very nervous in Provo”.

I’d also like to add that the character of these 2 individuals is top-notch. They are both very active members and have a huge respect as well as a good working relationship with Brigham Young University. In other words, this was not a case of 2 Chris Hill clones spewing venom at BYU. I’m still so surprised by what I learned during this discussion. I’m certainly aware of the challenges BYU is currently facing but I NEVER believed I’d live to see the day that BYU became a less desirable location than Weber State. As somebody who still carries a lot of love for BYU, I’m hoping these challenges can and will be overcome, but I’m still pretty saddened by how far they seem to be falling. Anyway, thanks for reading my long story. Take it for what it’s worth, I realize nobody knows me from Adam and you’ll probably be skeptical of what I’ve had to say and I completely understand why.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » December 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am

way too much detail to be true. troll post if ever I read one

sneed

Post by sneed » December 3rd, 2018, 8:14 am

sam tingey wrote:way too much detail to be true. troll post if ever I read one
I agree. Fun read with some truth to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » December 3rd, 2018, 8:51 am

Maybe we have a shot at getting Sitake then since the BYU job is the least desirable in the state? If Jay Hill lands the USU job will Sitake try to get the Weber State HC job? Maybe we can land Sitake as the HC and Andersen as the DC. :stirpot:

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 3rd, 2018, 9:00 am

thansen wrote:Maybe we have a shot at getting Sitake then since the BYU job is the least desirable in the state? If Jay Hill lands the USU job will Sitake try to get the Weber State HC job? Maybe we can land Sitake as the HC and Andersen as the DC. :stirpot:
No thanks on Sitake.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 3rd, 2018, 9:06 am

sneed wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 8:14 am
sam tingey wrote:way too much detail to be true. troll post if ever I read one
I agree. Fun read with some truth to it though.

That's how it works, weave a little known truth in with the BS. The guy could have a career as somebody's press secretary.

Locked Previous topicNext topic