Do We Think Gary Even Deserves A Shot?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Do We Think Gary Even Deserves A Shot?

Post by TheAKAggie » December 5th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Nm

Hail Aggies!

agster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Do We Think Gary Even Deserves A Shot?

Post by agster » December 5th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Of course! Sign him to a contract now!

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 5th, 2018, 1:10 pm

We should have just kept him under contract when he left the first time. So whenever we lost a coach he could just automatically take over. I can’t believe Hartwell is such a moron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Donman

Post by Donman » December 5th, 2018, 1:13 pm

I think he needs to be part of the process. Whether he is the right candidate or not depends on 1) Does he still have the fire 2) What happened at OSU?

While I would love to have a coach, I think it's important to find the right head coach. Hartwell did great during the coaching basketball search (I criticized him for how long it took but we got a great new head coach and his coach at Troy is doing well).

Gary built the program but he did leave us. If we were to hire a coach with the resume from OSU not named Gary, we would all be livid.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 5th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Uh, who now?
Last edited by bluegrouse on December 5th, 2018, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » December 5th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Yes.

coolag

Post by coolag » December 5th, 2018, 1:53 pm

At first I felt bringing back Gary would be a good decision but as times has passed the last week I am starting to think going a different direction might be better. It has been said on here that we are the only school that would bring him back as a head coach. So the question is, is that something we want hanging over the program? What he did to bring our football program out of the stinky crapper was truly amazing but there definitely are red flags with him IMO. Honestly I don't know what to think of it. Glad Hartwell is the one having to deal with it as I feel he can find a coach that understands what it takes to keep Utah State a winner. That coach might still be Gary.

Regulator of Class

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 5th, 2018, 2:04 pm

One thing's sure: he ain't throwin' away his shot!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 5th, 2018, 2:06 pm

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 5th, 2018, 2:22 pm

All these Gary threads are giving me anxiety......

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 5th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Well done Ak. Well done.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » December 5th, 2018, 3:09 pm

would you accept a job as Gary's assistant coach after what he did to his assistants at OSU?
These are guys who had coached with him for years, then when times are hard he says he hired the wrong assistant coaches and they aren't doing their job? that's a quote.

There are some serious pluses to hiring him, there are some serious holes and concerns too.
If you think Hartwell will retire in Cache Valley you are crazy. Therefore, he has to make his resume look great by not screwing up this hire. If this hire flops, he flops, and his future chances at the dream job become more faint. I lean toward trusting him right now and seeing what rises to the top of this fray of concern.

I know that John and Noelle were on the phone last week talking with high net worth donors trying to gauge the feelings of certain hiring possibilities.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » December 5th, 2018, 4:24 pm

I know this is a troll thread, but I'm going to respond anyway. I've been less enthusiastic about GA than many on this board, but I definitely want him to be under consideration. He's far from my top choice, but we could do much worse. I'm glad that Hartwell insisted on interviewing multiple candidates rather than letting a certain set of boosters railroad him into hiring GA. If GA is the best candidate after the interviews are over, we should hire him. If not, we should hire whoever the best candidate is. And for the record, if the reports are true that GA is offended that we are making him interview for the job rather than just handing it to him, then no, he does not deserve a shot. I don't want to hire a coach who expects preferential treatment because of something that he did 6 years ago, especially given that he failed pretty spectacularly at his last job.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » December 5th, 2018, 4:34 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 4:24 pm
I know this is a troll thread, but I'm going to respond anyway. I've been less enthusiastic about GA than many on this board, but I definitely want him to be under consideration. He's far from my top choice, but we could do much worse. I'm glad that Hartwell insisted on interviewing multiple candidates rather than letting a certain set of boosters railroad him into hiring GA. If GA is the best candidate after the interviews are over, we should hire him. If not, we should hire whoever the best candidate is. And for the record, if the reports are true that GA is offended that we are making him interview for the job rather than just handing it to him, then no, he does not deserve a shot. I don't want to hire a coach who expects preferential treatment because of something that he did 6 years ago, especially given that he failed pretty spectacularly at his last job.
Plus 1, Stanford.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 5th, 2018, 4:43 pm

72AgGrad wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 4:34 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Plus 1, Stanford.
:golfclap:

SuperiorBlueDiver
Has thanked: 0

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » December 5th, 2018, 5:02 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:I know this is a troll thread, but I'm going to respond anyway. I've been less enthusiastic about GA than many on this board, but I definitely want him to be under consideration. He's far from my top choice, but we could do much worse. I'm glad that Hartwell insisted on interviewing multiple candidates rather than letting a certain set of boosters railroad him into hiring GA. If GA is the best candidate after the interviews are over, we should hire him. If not, we should hire whoever the best candidate is. And for the record, if the reports are true that GA is offended that we are making him interview for the job rather than just handing it to him, then no, he does not deserve a shot. I don't want to hire a coach who expects preferential treatment because of something that he did 6 years ago, especially given that he failed pretty spectacularly at his last job.
I agree with Stanford. Also, I’m not worried about Gary being able to find assistant coaches. Something smells a bit fishy about those tweets to a member of the media don’t you think?

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 5th, 2018, 5:50 pm

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 5:02 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:I know this is a troll thread, but I'm going to respond anyway. I've been less enthusiastic about GA than many on this board, but I definitely want him to be under consideration. He's far from my top choice, but we could do much worse. I'm glad that Hartwell insisted on interviewing multiple candidates rather than letting a certain set of boosters railroad him into hiring GA. If GA is the best candidate after the interviews are over, we should hire him. If not, we should hire whoever the best candidate is. And for the record, if the reports are true that GA is offended that we are making him interview for the job rather than just handing it to him, then no, he does not deserve a shot. I don't want to hire a coach who expects preferential treatment because of something that he did 6 years ago, especially given that he failed pretty spectacularly at his last job.
I agree with Stanford. Also, I’m not worried about Gary being able to find assistant coaches. Something smells a bit fishy about those tweets to a member of the media don’t you think?

I am not as worried about the texts affecting recruiting good assistants, it's the level of assistants he had at OSU. He seemed to bring in the guys we no longer wanted. One of the biggest question marks with GA is who he can bring with him. I think we have seen between Wells and Gary, when they had high level assistants we won big, without them we struggled.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 5th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Gary will not be able to bring in good assistants, that’s why Hartwell backed away.

Hail Aggies!

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » December 5th, 2018, 9:51 pm

In response to the OP, No.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 5th, 2018, 9:59 pm

He deserves to be in consideration, but probably not the job itself. He did one of the 10 worst coaching jobs in college football over the last 20 years at his last Head Coaching job where he quit midseason after just 2.5 years. For all the talk of Gary bringing stability, he has had 4 Head Coaching jobs and never lasted more than 4 years at any of those spots. The idea that Gary is going to come in and dominate and stay for 20 years is a pipedream. Coaching is an evolving profession where coaches are not the same as they once were. The same reason Stew Morrill was not the same coach as he was in 2015 that he was in 2010. Gary is not the same coach as he was in 2012. No good coach would bomb as bad as he did at Oregon State. If he is hired here I will support him and hope for the best, but he wouldn't be my first choice, not after the product he put on the field in Corvallis that OSU is still suffering from.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 5th, 2018, 10:01 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
Yep pretty much agree with this. I'll support him if he is given the job, but we can do better. Every Aggie fan loves what Stew did at USU, but if we had an opening in basketball he wouldn't be my first choice either.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 5th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:59 pm
He deserves to be in consideration, but probably not the job itself. He did one of the 10 worst coaching jobs in college football over the last 20 years at his last Head Coaching job where he quit midseason after just 2.5 years. For all the talk of Gary bringing stability, he has had 4 Head Coaching jobs and never lasted more than 4 years at any of those spots. The idea that Gary is going to come in and dominate and stay for 20 years is a pipedream. Coaching is an evolving profession where coaches are not the same as they once were. The same reason Stew Morrill was not the same coach as he was in 2015 that he was in 2010. Gary is not the same coach as he was in 2012. No good coach would bomb as bad as he did at Oregon State. If he is hired here I will support him and hope for the best, but he wouldn't be my first choice, not after the product he put on the field in Corvallis that OSU is still suffering from.
This is pretty much my stand. Utah State is a highly desirable position right now. I'm sure John Hartwell has been approached by several highly qualified candidates, including many that have better resumes than Gary Andersen. Let Hartwell do his job. He's gained the benefit of the doubt with hiring Craig Smith. Trust the man. Trust the process. Be patient.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 6th, 2018, 6:00 am

LKGates wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:12 pm
This is pretty much my stand. Utah State is a highly desirable position right now. I'm sure John Hartwell has been approached by several highly qualified candidates, including many that have better resumes than Gary Andersen. Let Hartwell do his job. He's gained the benefit of the doubt with hiring Craig Smith. Trust the man. Trust the process. Be patient.
Two outstanding posts here :golfclap:

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 7th, 2018, 10:58 am

Machismo wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 6:00 am
LKGates wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 10:12 pm
Two outstanding posts here :golfclap:

:thumbsup: Agree. Remember Gary had a meltdown of some type while he was with us.He's probably learned that he's best as #2 guy, nothing wrong with that.

Locked Previous topicNext topic