Who are the finalists?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
CaptainChaos

Re: Who are the finalists?

Post by CaptainChaos » December 7th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Helfrich would give us some connections in the Pacific Northwest as well. He’s a fairly young guy who I’m sure is ambitious. What do people have against him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 7th, 2018, 4:17 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Helfrich would give us some connections in the Pacific Northwest as well. He’s a fairly young guy who I’m sure is ambitious. What do people have against him?

He bombed out at Oregon pretty badly.

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » December 7th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Madmartigan wrote:Scott Garrard thinks it could be a negotiating tactic.
Not seeing any tweets from Scotty G. Where did he say this?

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

Donman

Post by Donman » December 7th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 4:17 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:

Did take them to a national championship game in his second year. Bad year in his fourth year.

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » December 7th, 2018, 4:32 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 10:46 am
I have heard rumors (only) that Yost is NOT interested in being a HC. Remember, he already "retired" from one job because of stress. I think there's a reason he has the "surfer look" and I'm being honest here. I think he's no-drama Yost, the laid back surfer dude. Not really HC material. NOT to say he wouldn't make a good HC though.
I just can't figure out why a guy with that personality, would choose to go to Lubbock? :headscratch: The man is a fun loving guy with a nice Jeep. Where the Hell are you going to get your money's worth out of a Jeep in west Texas?

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » December 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Usurossco wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 4:13 pm
Can someone verify that Hartwell is actually still looking for a head coach? No comment for a week now and no hire odd. Update us.

This is standard operating procedure when hiring coaches. All ADs keep it tight lipped and don't give updates until they announce the head coach. Having said that, we are going on 8 days now so it would be nice to have a decision made soon.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 7th, 2018, 4:35 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm
I'm a little surprised at the responses to Helfrich being a possible candidate. I understand his last year at Oregon was bad, but he had some really good teams and results prior to that. I mean the dude took the Ducks to the national championship game in his second year. They beat an undefeated Florida State team in the CFP- Semi final and then lost to Urban's Ohio State team in the national championship game. That Buckeye team had 16 NFL draft picks in the starting lineup (6 of them were 1st rounders). The Ducks were even in that game up until the 4th quarter. Sure he inherited a lot of Chip Kelly's players but he had to guide them and keep that success going. He basically molded Mariota as Helfrich was OC and QB coach there before he was HC. He has a tone of experience coaching good QB's and could be great for Jordan Love. Even his first and third years at Oregon were decent (finished 9th and 19th respectively in the AP poll). I'm not sure what happened in year 4 but the wheels did definitely fall off. Hartwell would need to look into what happened there. I'm not sure when we'll ever get another opportunity to hire a coach that lead a team to a #2 ranking, Rose Bowl victory, and championship game appearance less than 4 years earlier. Heck maybe Helfrich hires Chip Kelly as our OC after next season when he gets axed at UCLA. :-)

For the record I would support Jay Hill and think he'd be a good fit.

Yurcich is interesting but not having any HC experience at any level is a bit concerning. His Ok State offenses have been fun to watch though and I don't think we'd see any offensive drop-off from this season. He's proven to be an effective OC in a big conference and sustained it for a longer period. I think he's a better candidate than Yost would be.

I want Maile to stay on staff, maybe even as DC, or at least D-Line coach and associate head coach or something like that. Not sure he's quite ready for HC. Maybe Maile gets the HC job in 3-4 years after we make a NY6 bowl and Helfrich leaves or Hill goes to Utah.

Beau Baldwin would be my last choice
I am good with Frank as long as he has an experienced guy for DC. I really feel the reason we've been able to hold onto as much of this recruiting class as we have is because of Frank and Collins. Collins is pretty experienced. I would be OK with Frank as HC and Collins as DC.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Sr. Tubastank
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sr. Tubastank » December 7th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Hill has not been interviewed...yet...

@Call_It_Ustate

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 7th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Donman wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 4:19 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 4:17 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:

Did take them to a national championship game in his second year. Bad year in his fourth year.
Yes, let's outline his 4 years at Oregon.
Year 1: 12-1 record (AP #9), lost tie breaker to Stanford for Pac12 North winner but was ranked higher than Stanford. The Ducks beat a good Texas team in the Alamo bowl.

Year 2: 13-2 record (CFP #2). Beat FSU in Rose Bowl and then lost to Ohio State in NCG.

Year 3: 9-4 record (AP #19). Finished 2nd in the Pac12 (1 game behind Stanford). Lost a 3OT thriller to an 11-2 TCU team in the Alamo Bowl who had final AP ranking of #7.

Year 4: 4-8 record. This was bad and a Root Cause Analysis needs to be done

I think the fact that Helfrich was the man that followed the man (Chip Kelly) at Oregon was a tough situation and he was never going to live up to expectations.

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » December 7th, 2018, 5:05 pm

I have been reading up on Yurcich for the past few days since hearing was a strong under consideration. I am very impressed!! He came out of nowhere to become the O-Coordinator at OK State and has been top notch in the position. He is highly regarded and most say he has all of the tools to be a great head coach. He is high energy and the players would run through a wall for him. Think Craig Smith. He it OK St's closer in recruiting and is credited for much of their success. Yes, he may succeed and be gone in 3-4 years, but he could take us to a new level and leave us in even better shape for the next coach. Looking at Hartwell's hires here and at Troy, Yurcich looks very much like a Hartwell type of hire. I would be thrilled with him!

Helfrich is also an interesting option. It is impressive that we have someone with his resume in the mix. Yes, he had one bad year at Oregon, but look at the years before that. We just came off of a coach who had one bad year (we stuck with him) and we did not want to see him go. What he did before that down/messy year was elite level on his resume. Hartwell has been in Chicago in the past few days.

Maile - Great guy and great assistant who needs to stay here. Is not ready to be a HC yet.

Hill - Would we be interested if he were not from an hour down the road and we are familiar with him??? If he were in Illinois or North Dakota we would likely be upset if he was our choice. Lets face it, it is not common from someone to move from the FCS level to a team coming off of a top 25 season with returning talent. Not many coaches even transition from the FCS level to mid-major level and do it well. The most recent successful FCS coach to make this move was Bohl at Wyoming. He has had mixed results and is having a hard time recruiting FBS level players and maintaining things there. Sure, I think Hill should be considered and could possibly succeed and stay awhile. However, there is also a decent probability that we settle into mediocracy with him.

I am bummed that Anderson is looking less likely. However if he is not ready or not all in lets go get another one of these good options and get rolling. Go Aggies!
Last edited by IdAggie on December 7th, 2018, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 7th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Have you guys ever watched an interview with Helfrich the guy is a stiff. Most of these potenial candidates have very little exprience recruiting Utah. I'm all in on Jay Hill at this point, and will be very frustrated if Hartwell goes his own direction. I'm curious as to what our large donors think at this juncture. Really hope Hartwell isn't fracturing those relationships.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 7th, 2018, 5:13 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:Have you guys ever watched an interview with Helfrich the guy is a stiff. Most of these potenial candidates have very little exprience recruiting Utah. I'm all in on Jay Hill at this point, and will be very frustrated if Hartwell goes his own direction. I'm curious as to what our large donors think at this juncture. Really hope Hartwell isn't fracturing those relationships.
Maybe he’s not the most colorful personality but for what it’s worth, Chip Kelly said Helfrich is the rare combination of being extremely smart and an excellent communicator.

Hill would be 1A and Helfrich 1B for me now that GA is apparently out.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 7th, 2018, 5:13 pm

IdAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Helfrich is also an interesting option. It is impressive that we have someone with his resume in the mix. Yes, he had one bad year at Oregon, but look at the years before that. We just came off of a coach who had one bad year (we stuck with him) and we did not want to see him go. What he did before that down/messy year was elite level on his resume. Hartwell has been in Chicago in the past few days.

Maile - Great guy and great assistant who needs to stay here. Is not ready to be a HC yet.

Hill - Would we be interested if he were not from an hour down the road and we are familiar with him??? If he were in Illinois or North Dakota we would likely be upset if he was our choice. Lets face it, it is not common from someone to move from the FCS level to a team coming off of a top 25 season with returning talent. Not many coaches even transition from the FCS level to mid-major level and do it well. The most recent successful FCS coach to make this move was Bohl at Wyoming. He has had mixed results and is having a hard time recruiting FBS level players and maintaining things there. Sure, I think Hill should be considered and could possibly succeed and stay awhile. However, there is also a decent probability that we settle into mediocracy with him.

I am bummed that Anderson is looking less likely. However if he is not ready or not all in lets go get another one of these good options and get rolling. Go Aggies!
Regarding Jay Hill- Let’s see, he’s a highly accomplished and lauded recruiter. He has all kinds of connections, a great reputation in, and knows the exact area we recruit in very well. He’s known as a players coach and his players love him. Just ask them, they’ll tell you about it. He has a lot of ties to the Polynesian community already and knows and uses our blueprint to win.

He took a 2 win team and turned them into an FCS powerhouse and the #2 ranked team in 4 years. He spent several years as a P5 assistant. He won 11 games in 2017 and then lost several key assistants and his team only got better in 2018.

P5 teams such as Stanford (Jim Habaugh) and Ohio state (Jim tressel) has success hiring directly from FCS.

But no, we’re not interested in that guy. We’re Utah State. We’re way too good for someone like Jay Hill.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on December 7th, 2018, 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 7th, 2018, 5:14 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:Have you guys ever watched an interview with Helfrich the guy is a stiff. Most of these potenial candidates have very little exprience recruiting Utah. I'm all in on Jay Hill at this point, and will be very frustrated if Hartwell goes his own direction. I'm curious as to what our large donors think at this juncture. Really hope Hartwell isn't fracturing those relationships.
Maybe he’s not the most colorful personality but for what it’s worth, Chip Kelly said Helfrich is the rare combination of being extremely smart and an excellent communicator. That combination is important for a coordinator. A head coach needs to be able to gain the respect and loyalty of their players however. I think Hill would have that.

Hill would be 1A and Helfrich 1B for me now that GA is apparently out.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 7th, 2018, 5:20 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
The horrendous drop in results at Oregon was shocking to me.
The Bears' offense isn't very good.
Doesn't have any history (that I know of) with any schools in Utah so I don't know that he would embrace the recruiting formula for success.
Do I think he could end up a great HC? Yes, he just has more concerns for me than the others on the list.

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » December 7th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:13 pm
IdAggie wrote:

Regarding Jay Hill- Let’s see, he’s a highly accomplished and lauded recruiter. He has all kinds of connections, a great reputation in, and knows the exact area we recruit in very well. He’s known as a players coach and his players love him. Just ask them, they’ll tell you about it.

He took a 2 win team and turned them into an FCS powerhouse and the #2 ranked team in 4 years. He spent several years as a P5 assistant. He won 11 games in 2017 and then lost several key assistants and his team only got better in 2018.

P5 teams such as Stanford (Jim Habaugh) and Ohio state (Jim tressel) has success hiring directly from FCS.

But no, we’re not interested in that guy. We’re Utah State. We’re way too good for someone like Jay Hill.
Yes, Hill has done a fabulous job at Weber St. and is very interesting for this job. Does that translate?

We are a top 25 team this year and we should approach it like we are a top 25 team that expects to maintain that. Not the USU of the past. A good friend of mine who is a coach at a successful FBS program has said that USU is "one of the best jobs out there right now" it is very attractive and sought after by may quality, successful, and experienced coaches. We don't need to necessarily settle for the Utah guy down the road because we are the "Old USU" and simply want someone who will not bail on us.

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » December 7th, 2018, 5:25 pm

This did not come through on my previous post above initially.

I have been reading up on Yurcich for the past few days since hearing was a strong under consideration. I am very impressed!! He came out of nowhere to become the O-Coordinator at OK State and has been top notch in the position. He is highly regarded and most say he has all of the tools to be a great head coach. He is high energy and the players would run through a wall for him. Think Craig Smith. He is OK St's closer in recruiting and is credited for much of their success. Yes, he may succeed and be gone in 3-4 years, but he could take us to a new level and leave us in even better shape for the next coach. Looking at Hartwell's hires here and at Troy, Yurcich looks very much like a Hartwell type of hire. I would be thrilled with him!

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 7th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Helfrich no.

Hill yes.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking today that I may prefer Hill to GA - before rumor on here broke that GA was no longer interested.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 7th, 2018, 5:31 pm

IdAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:23 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
IdAggie wrote:

Regarding Jay Hill- Let’s see, he’s a highly accomplished and lauded recruiter. He has all kinds of connections, a great reputation in, and knows the exact area we recruit in very well. He’s known as a players coach and his players love him. Just ask them, they’ll tell you about it.

Yes, Hill has done a fabulous job at Weber St. and is very interesting for this job. Does that translate?

We are a top 25 team this year and we should approach it like we are a top 25 team that expects to maintain that. Not the USU of the past. A good friend of mine who is a coach at a successful FBS program has said that USU is "one of the best jobs out there right now" it is very attractive and sought after by may quality, successful, and experienced coaches. We don't need to necessarily settle for the Utah guy down the road because we are the "Old USU" and simply want someone who will not bail on us.
Your post implies you think hiring Hill would be settling. Why do you think hiring him would be settling?

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » December 7th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Do a search and then hire Jay Hill!!!!!!!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 7th, 2018, 5:41 pm

You guys who want Jay Hill better start calling Heartwell...

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2018, 5:45 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:41 pm
You guys who want Jay Hill better start calling Heartwell...
You keep saying Hill is out. Care to expound?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 7th, 2018, 5:47 pm

IdAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 5:23 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
IdAggie wrote:

You’re confusing team with program. As a program we are a bottom 25 job when it comes down to coaches salaries, athletic budget, and fan support/attendance.

wacfan08

Post by wacfan08 » December 7th, 2018, 6:03 pm

FWIW

I am not hearing GA is out
In fact I'm hearing the opposite.

I'm hearing barring a fantastic 2nd interview Saturday GA will be named Head Coach Monday/Tuesday

What I'm hearing could be wrong. There seems to be a lot on conflicting information out there. But I haven't heard a sniff about GA backing out.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » December 7th, 2018, 6:10 pm

wacfan08 wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 6:03 pm
FWIW

I'm hearing barring a fantastic 2nd interview Saturday GA will be named Head Coach Monday/Tuesday

What I'm hearing could be wrong. There seems to be a lot on conflicting information out there. But I haven't heard a sniff about GA backing out.
Can't wait for ESPN to produce a 30 for 30 on this coaching search based on all the conflicting info we've received over the past week (wacfan - this isn't a shot at you (I appreciate you and other sharing what you know), just me laughing in general at all the conflicting reports).

wacfan08

Post by wacfan08 » December 7th, 2018, 6:14 pm

FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 6:10 pm
wacfan08 wrote:
FWIW

Can't wait for ESPN to produce a 30 for 30 on this coaching search based on all the conflicting info we've received over the past week (wacfan - this isn't a shot at you (I appreciate you and other sharing what you know), just me laughing in general at all the conflicting reports).
Agreed part of that is the way Hartwell runs things. Very tight lips. Meetings at his house, in SLC, airports.. Ext ext.. Very different from Scott Barnes

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 7th, 2018, 6:15 pm

wacfan08 wrote:
FWIW

I sure the HELL Hope so my 11 yr old will be crushed if he's not our next HC.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 7th, 2018, 6:18 pm

wacfan08 wrote:
FWIW

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this is fun! Best roller coaster EV-UH! :scotsman:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 7th, 2018, 6:43 pm

If I planned on hiring Gary and didn't want it leaked I'd just tell those around me Gary withdrew his name knowing they'd tell all their friends.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 7th, 2018, 6:54 pm

So here it is... he withdrew this morning, then there was a convo and he’s back in it... this thing is crazy!

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 7th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Btw- I’m telling only what I know at the time. I think I’m gonna wit the rest of it out.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2018, 6:55 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:So here it is... he withdrew this morning, then there was a convo and he’s back in it... this thing is crazy!
If he’s back in already, that’s gotta mean it’s his job at this point.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 7th, 2018, 6:58 pm

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 7th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Hearing that GA is a firm maybe.

If it’s him, I really hope most of the posts in these threads about him telling the AD to eff off and then withdrawing his name as a ploy are false. That would indicate he’s still the unstable guy that sent the texts at OSU. That’d be a lot of drama to put up with for a guy that flopped hard at his last coaching gig, IMO.

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » December 7th, 2018, 7:18 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 4:35 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm
I'm a little surprised at the responses to Helfrich being a possible candidate. I understand his last year at Oregon was bad, but he had some really good teams and results prior to that. I mean the dude took the Ducks to the national championship game in his second year. They beat an undefeated Florida State team in the CFP- Semi final and then lost to Urban's Ohio State team in the national championship game. That Buckeye team had 16 NFL draft picks in the starting lineup (6 of them were 1st rounders). The Ducks were even in that game up until the 4th quarter. Sure he inherited a lot of Chip Kelly's players but he had to guide them and keep that success going. He basically molded Mariota as Helfrich was OC and QB coach there before he was HC. He has a tone of experience coaching good QB's and could be great for Jordan Love. Even his first and third years at Oregon were decent (finished 9th and 19th respectively in the AP poll). I'm not sure what happened in year 4 but the wheels did definitely fall off. Hartwell would need to look into what happened there. I'm not sure when we'll ever get another opportunity to hire a coach that lead a team to a #2 ranking, Rose Bowl victory, and championship game appearance less than 4 years earlier. Heck maybe Helfrich hires Chip Kelly as our OC after next season when he gets axed at UCLA. :-)

For the record I would support Jay Hill and think he'd be a good fit.

Yurcich is interesting but not having any HC experience at any level is a bit concerning. His Ok State offenses have been fun to watch though and I don't think we'd see any offensive drop-off from this season. He's proven to be an effective OC in a big conference and sustained it for a longer period. I think he's a better candidate than Yost would be.

I want Maile to stay on staff, maybe even as DC, or at least D-Line coach and associate head coach or something like that. Not sure he's quite ready for HC. Maybe Maile gets the HC job in 3-4 years after we make a NY6 bowl and Helfrich leaves or Hill goes to Utah.

Beau Baldwin would be my last choice
I am good with Frank as long as he has an experienced guy for DC. I really feel the reason we've been able to hold onto as much of this recruiting class as we have is because of Frank and Collins. Collins is pretty experienced. I would be OK with Frank as HC and Collins as DC.
Collins as DC would be an absolute nightmare. 2 years ago he was ST coordinator and our special teams were 3rd to worst in the entire nation. This year he was in charge of punt.... we see how that fell apart as the year progressed. I understand he’s a quality recruiter, my guess is that he really gets parents on board. But I have heard multiple current players complain about him. I know several, and legitimately have never heard a single positive comment. There was no respect among them, which is criteria number 1 for a coordinator.

Locked Previous topicNext topic