Oregon State fans think we are out of our minds

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 9th, 2018, 11:49 pm

I think this was the best hire, but just goes to show how different perspectives employers/clients have about the same person.

http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/threa ... ate?page=1

It is interesting because good coaches get fired all of the time, sometimes situations just don't work. The Browns once fired Bill Belichick after all.

Imakeitrain

Re: Oregon State fans think we are out of our minds

Post by Imakeitrain » December 10th, 2018, 12:18 am

They’re stupid.

To act like it was only “1 successful season” ignores the context of us going from one of the worst teams in 1-A to ranked 16th... in 4 years, which included 2 bowl games.
Last edited by Imakeitrain on December 10th, 2018, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 10th, 2018, 12:19 am

They’re not the only ones. Virtually everyone that I’ve read outside of most Aggie and some Ute fans think the same thing......

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 10th, 2018, 12:23 am

bluegrouse wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 12:19 am
They’re not the only ones. Virtually everyone that I’ve read outside of most Aggie and some Ute fans think the same thing......
I guess you hear what you want to hear. I’m aware of all the doubters, but there’s plenty of support out there. The outsiders have no clue about usu.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 10th, 2018, 12:29 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 12:23 am
bluegrouse wrote:
I guess you hear what you want to hear

Nope. Was hoping to hear that other people didn’t think we’re crazy.. You did find the one exception to what I stated. Stil, the vast majority are scratching their heads. And for the record, I hope they’re all wrong.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » December 10th, 2018, 12:30 am

I think it may be easier and less stressful to be successful at Utah State in the MWC than it is at Oregon State in the PAC-12. Just sayin.

Really hope this works out

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 10th, 2018, 12:30 am

bluegrouse wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 12:29 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

Nope. Was hoping to hear that other people didn’t think we’re crazy.. You did find the one exception to what I stated. Stil, the vast majority are scratching their heads. And for the record, I hope they’re all wrong.
id say it is 90/10 in thinking we made a good hire based off what i have seen on twitter

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 10th, 2018, 12:36 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 12:30 am
bluegrouse wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 12:29 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

id say it is 90/10 in thinking we made a good hire based off what i have seen on twitter
If you include Aggie fans and Utah fans, that’s probably about right.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 10th, 2018, 12:44 am

Interview with Gary right after he took Utah job last year. No surprise he wanted to coach again. Imagine working under the people you used to coach who are way younger than you. Also interesting when they ask if he wants to coach again one day...

Twitter: UtahStizzle

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 10th, 2018, 12:56 am

Thanks for posting that interview. I really, really like the guy. Always have. I hope it works out in the best possible way.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » December 10th, 2018, 1:00 am

UtahStizzle wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 12:44 am
Interview with Gary right after he took Utah job last year. No surprise he wanted to coach again. Imagine working under the people you used to coach who are way younger than you. Also interesting when they ask if he wants to coach again one day...

Thanks for posting! Dudes just got a charisma about him that not many have. I can def see why the players love him. Couldnt be more thrilled to have as our head coach. Go Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 10th, 2018, 1:00 am

How many iotas do we care what fans of other schools think? I care most about what current, former and future players think. I care what Utah State fans think.

I don’t care what fans of Oregon State, Texas State, Georgia State, Arizona State, etc....

I’ve seen Gary win here before, I think he can still win here.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » December 10th, 2018, 1:04 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 1:00 am
How many iotas do we care what fans of other schools think? I care most about what current, former and future players think. I care what Utah State fans think.

I don’t care what fans of Oregon State, Texas State, Georgia State, Arizona State, etc....

Beat me to it and said it better anyway. I dont care what the "90" percent think. Never have, never will. All hires would have carried risk including gary but This was the best possible hire hands down. His former player support, you know the ones that might actually carry some weight, are confirmation enough for me.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 10th, 2018, 1:16 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 1:00 am

Now that the decision has been made, you’re right. It’s a moot point. Doesn’t matter now. What matters is what happens next.

Go Aggies.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 10th, 2018, 5:23 am

Utah State is absolutely the only school that could/would hire GA. It's not unreasonable to think we are out of our minds. Gary has only had one successful season so there is a lot of risk in this hire. Here's to hoping for the best, go Aggies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 10th, 2018, 5:42 am

I’m all in on supporting Gary with time, energy and money. But I’m afraid this is going to go down as a colossal eff up. Maybe that is just Aggie pessimism.

Hope I’m wrong.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 10th, 2018, 5:52 am

dyedblue wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 5:23 am
Utah State is absolutely the only school that could/would hire GA. It's not unreasonable to think we are out of our minds. Gary has only had one successful season so there is a lot of risk in this hire. Here's to hoping for the best, go Aggies!

If we are going to get technical and go by the numbers, I'd count his 2 seasons in Madison as successful. Hey was 19-7 there.

I realize you were just talking about USU, but those seasons factored in when he was hired in Corvallis. Almost every coach gets fired sometime, as a coordinator or somewhere along the line.

Just interesting to watch what others say. I'd also say some level headed BYU fans like the hire as well. Only time will tell that is the only certainty in any coaching search.

This small non-scientific group of Wisconsin fans were a little more positive about him and his chances the 2nd time.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buckyvi ... html?amp=1

sneed

Post by sneed » December 10th, 2018, 6:12 am

Everyone thought it was dumb going to Oregon St. Fans have a more optimistic look at their teams value. OSU fans think he was a disaster there. On the outside it looks like he barely underperformed.

Same with Wisconsin - their fans think he was pretty bad. We think he was pretty good there.

We are more realistic? We know what a dumpster fire Gary came in to so we think he wildly over performed here. Others just say - one good session in a crappy conference.

It doesn’t matter though. He is here. Hope it goes well. I think it will. OC is the biggest concern. But with our offense this year I think it is a very attractive job (fans optimistic view of teams value).

tinplater

Post by tinplater » December 10th, 2018, 6:51 am

In my opinion this hire gives us the best chance of having a successful coach for more than four or five years. Otherwise virtually every up and coming coach that does well at USU will break hearts again and move on.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 10th, 2018, 6:56 am

Oregon State may be the worst P5 in the country considering the two major sports (Rutgers is a contender too). Don’t give a (I can't express myself without swearing) what they think.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 10th, 2018, 7:00 am

what really sucks is that if gary doesn't go undefeated and beat everyone 100-0, trolls will come out and say "oh well you know he shouldn't have been hired, blah blah blah sketchy past, fishy circumstances"

it's going to get tiring

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 10th, 2018, 7:29 am

Why would we care what Oregon State fans think? They've had an atrocious program for several years. Even under Riley their trend was to hover around .500 for a few years, then win nine games and go bowling, then go back to hovering around .500. GA took over a dumpster fire in an attempt to quickly get away from Alvarez in Wisconsin and couldn't turn it around. He made a bad career move in haste. Just not a big deal to me. Move on .

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 10th, 2018, 7:49 am

AndroidAggie wrote:what really sucks is that if gary doesn't go undefeated and beat everyone 100-0, trolls will come out and say "oh well you know he shouldn't have been hired, blah blah blah sketchy past, fishy circumstances"

it's going to get tiring
Don’t pre spoil my plans!!! No I’m pretty realistic. If Gary coaches us for 5 years with four winning seasons I’ll be as happy as a clam. I think that’s pretty reasonable.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 10th, 2018, 7:54 am

At this point we should be bowling 75-80% of the time, with a great season every 4-5 years.

Last edited by dyedblue on December 10th, 2018, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 10th, 2018, 8:02 am

They do realize they re hired Mike Riley twice right.
He was 8 -14 left for the NFL ..came back had a ok run but moving downward. Went to Nebraska. Ran that program into the ground ... Then the beaver brought him back as a consultant...

Pot meet kettle

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 10th, 2018, 8:19 am

It would be surprising if OSU fans didn't think we are crazy. Some of things Gary did there and how he left are inexplicable. My guess is that Hartwell spent some serious time and effort understanding the weirdness around Gary and OSU. I am good with the hire but really hope he is right physically and emotionally.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 10th, 2018, 8:52 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 7:49 am
Don’t pre spoil my plans!!! No I’m pretty realistic. If Gary coaches us for 5 years with four winning seasons I’ll be as happy as a clam. I think that’s pretty reasonable.
:)

you and i seem to be closely aligned on our opinion of GA coming back. i was against it but now that he's here i'm all-in. i'll still do the win pledges and donate to aggies unlimited. and for the record, i didn't have you in mind when i made my comment so no worries there.

Dmoney

Post by Dmoney » December 10th, 2018, 9:06 am

I keep seeing vague references by OSU fans about cheerleaders. What is it that they think he did? I've seen got a cheerleader pregnant, slept with the cheerleader coach, and slept with one of his assistant's wives. Does anybody concrete reference besides twitter comments on what they think he did?

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 10th, 2018, 9:10 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 11:49 pm
I think this was the best hire, but just goes to show how different perspectives employers/clients have about the same person.

It is interesting because good coaches get fired all of the time, sometimes situations just don't work. The Browns once fired Bill Belichick after all.
He left $12 mill on the table. How many people have the integrity to do that?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 10th, 2018, 9:15 am

Smokin Joe wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 11:49 pm

He left $12 mill on the table. How many people have the integrity to do that?

Integrity or baggage?

That is the question. I'm not all in with Gary until I have a better understanding. I'm not against Gary, I just don't know what went down to make him walk away from $16.7M.

Did he walk away because he couldn't get the job done?

Did OSU boosters pay a much smaller buyout to get rid of him?

Did he do something highly immoral, potentially illegal that forced him to quit and not look back?

Something else?

Who knows, I hope our AD and the boosters that pushed for Gary do.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 10th, 2018, 9:56 am

Dmoney wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 9:06 am
I keep seeing vague references by OSU fans about cheerleaders. What is it that they think he did? I've seen got a cheerleader pregnant, slept with the cheerleader coach, and slept with one of his assistant's wives. Does anybody concrete reference besides twitter comments on what they think he did?
Based on the Twitter comments, everyone seems to think they know what he did with 100% certainty but none of their stories lineup. They all involve either a student, cheerleader or coach and either just sleeping with them or getting them pregnant. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that this actually happened and there are other Oregon State fans that say it didn't happen. I'm guessing that part of the hold up with Gary was USU and the search committee doing their due diligence in researching these rumors and in the end they came to the conclusion that there wasn't anything there.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 10th, 2018, 10:06 am

We are a little nuts but not because of Coach Andersen - jusssst sayin

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 10th, 2018, 10:22 am

taniataylor wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 10:06 am
We are a little nuts but not because of Coach Andersen - jusssst sayin
:) :) :)

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » December 10th, 2018, 11:09 am

I am still very hesitant about this hire. I will admit that this has the potential to be a legacy hire and that he could be a coach that we see for many years at the helm of the program. The first few years could also be very rocky, as he struggles with convincing athletes that he is here to stay, and that we are on the right path as a program and that he is the right coach to continue to take us there. If I were a perspective athlete, that would be a question I would want answered prior to any commitment.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 10th, 2018, 11:11 am

OSU is not USU. If OSU wasn't in the PAC 12, they'd be a D2 School Like Eastern Oregon, sorry. OSU is a great school in a nice location, but it's extremely difficult to recruit to, and they don't have Nike money like Oregon.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Locked Previous topicNext topic