Could not be happier with the GA hire....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Smokin Joe

Could not be happier with the GA hire....

Post by Smokin Joe » December 14th, 2018, 4:35 pm

At the risk of sounding sycophantic, GA is absolutely hitting it out of the park. I was struck by the content of tweets from former players like Tavaris McMillian and Will Davis (there may have been others) who lauded Gary for literally changing their lives. That is pretty heady praise and a consistent theme emanating from many of Gary's former players (recall tearful BoJay Filimoeatu after the Utah game "he's like a father to me. I'd do anything for him"). Not to be overly sentimental, but if you've ever read or heard Jerry Kramer of the Green Bay Packers talk about that intangible "something" the Packers had that gave them a dominating edge in the 60s, he unfailingly comes back to the players' "love of the old man". Adult men wanted to play as hard as they could for Lombardi. Because of the way they felt about him, they wanted to please him and went to extraordinary effort to do so. They also completely internalized his ethos on the importance of winning. Gary has those same intangibles, that same ability to inspire and to inculcate the affection of his players and hence their loyalty and extraordinary effort.

Gary's coordinator and assistant coaching hires also reflect his exceptional commitment to the success and well-being of his players: he goes out and hires the finest coordinators he can possibly attract, thus giving his players the finest possible coaching and the greatest possible chance to succeed on the gridiron.

Gary calling every recruit within hours of his hire and the immediate commitment of a couple of high quality players based solely on Gary being hired are further evidence of why he has a reputation as a coach players want to play for.

I could not be happier to have this man back in our program. He is a difference maker and if you care about people, its pure joy watching him work, even from a distance. Perhaps Gary made some mistake at OSU. Honestly, I couldn't care less. Who among us hasn't erred from time to time, especially in circumstances of extreme stress, and who among us is not continually learning from out mistakes (and hopefully and improving)? Whatever did or did not happen at OSU, one thing is indisputable: it is unheard of for a college football coach to leave $12 million on the table, money that was contractually owed to him simply because he felt he didn't deliver what he promised to deliver. Few people in our world have that kind of integrity.

There was an excitement, an intangible and difficult to describe emotional and human element that departed Utah State football when Gary left. It is back. I think it will also translate into considerably improved attendance. Fans loved to watch Gary coach. His enthusiasm on the sidelines and his passion are things fans pay to see in person.

Here's wishing Gary, his staff and players every success.

SmokinJoe
Last edited by Smokin Joe on December 14th, 2018, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Could not be happier with the GA hire....

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 14th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Here here

GaAggie

Post by GaAggie » December 14th, 2018, 5:06 pm

I agree as well. I believe things could not have turned out better.

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » December 14th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Well Said!!

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » December 14th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Its like a dream come true. I actually wanted this to happen last year after another meh season. Glad wells did well this year but could not be more excited for the GA hire and the future of aggie football.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 14th, 2018, 5:49 pm

I luv everything about it, definitely feels like some magic brewing.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 14th, 2018, 6:05 pm

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » December 14th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Very well said. In all honesty, my little nervousness him being hired is being put to rest pretty quick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

NibleyAg

Post by NibleyAg » December 14th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Dilly dilly

bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » December 14th, 2018, 7:51 pm

he's a good recruiter, very good defense coach hired aranda who was once of the best defensive coordinators who produced later top defenses at wisconsin and lsu.Anderson was the DC under Meyer in 2004.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 14th, 2018, 8:01 pm

bazinga22 wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 7:51 pm
he's a good recruiter, very good defense coach hired aranda who was once of the best defensive coordinators who produced later top defenses at wisconsin and lsu.Anderson was the DC under Meyer in 2004.
What's interesting to me is that he saw Aranda's potential anmd then saw to it he got opportunities to maximize it.

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » December 14th, 2018, 8:51 pm

It is weird that we are so excited about getting a new coach after such a great season. It almost feels like we are getting a new coach after getting rid of a bad coach.

I'm excited for Gary and the possibility that he can take this program to even a higher level. I'm also grateful for MW for not letting the program fall back to the dark days before GA.

Now let kick some a## tomorrow and enjoy the climb.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 14th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Easy does it boys... So far so good.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » December 14th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Now we need the same kind of commitment from the Fans. I'm here in New Mexico and we had a pep rally and Bowl bash at the hacienda restaurant and there was probably only 30 Aggie boosters at the bowl bash and maybe a couple of hundred if that other pep rally. It was really embarrassing. We really need to step up because our commitment by the athletic department is way above the commitment of our fanbase.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » December 14th, 2018, 9:25 pm

NibleyAg wrote:Dilly dilly
If any of you are sitting next to Nibley, can you please punch him for me? “Dilly dilly” is even more annoying than “waaazzzup” from a decade or so ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » December 15th, 2018, 1:58 am

blueaggie wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 9:22 pm
Now we need the same kind of commitment from the Fans. I'm here in New Mexico and we had a pep rally and Bowl bash at the hacienda restaurant and there was probably only 30 Aggie boosters at the bowl bash and maybe a couple of hundred if that other pep rally. It was really embarrassing. We really need to step up because our commitment by the athletic department is way above the commitment of our fanbase.
I think the fact that a lot of fans went up to the game in Boise will hurt attendance at the bowl game. With work and other things going on, it is hard to justify another weekend away just a few weeks later

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 15th, 2018, 6:02 am

TrueAggieman wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
I think the fact that a lot of fans went up to the game in Boise will hurt attendance at the bowl game. With work and other things going on, it is hard to justify another weekend away just a few weeks later
Put me in this group. I watched the Aggies play 8 times this year, which is a record for me. I donated more than I ever have. Had we played in Vegas I would have gone, but NM just want doable.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 15th, 2018, 7:55 am

dyedblue wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 6:02 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
Put me in this group. I watched the Aggies play 8 times this year, which is a record for me. I donated more than I ever have. Had we played in Vegas I would have gone, but NM just want doable.

Yup. I went to all home games and the az bowl last year but 1000 dollar flights to abq killed it for me. Bummed I’m not there.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » December 15th, 2018, 8:17 am

I just wonder what will happen when we finally get an NY6 bowl game. Will we have 1000 fans show up for the game in a 60000 seat stadium? I was talking to a UNT bus driver here in Albuquerque and he said that they had ten buses making the ten hour trip from Denton. Other than the buses for the band and cheerleaders did we have any other buses make the journey from Logan? If we truly want a high caliber football program we need a large fan base. I love all the great ideas in the previous posts. The question is how do we make it happen? Go Aggies! Crush UNT!

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 15th, 2018, 8:21 am

I drove. Not bad. Shorter than to southern California

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2018, 8:23 am

12 hours from Sandy with meal, gas and potty breaks

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 15th, 2018, 9:01 am

11 hours from West Bountiful. People need to man up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 15th, 2018, 9:16 am

bazinga22 wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 7:51 pm
Sorry about the nit picking, but Whittingham was DC under Meyer.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 15th, 2018, 9:18 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 5:03 pm
Here here
Sorry about the nit picking, but hear hear...

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 15th, 2018, 9:34 am

USU78 wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 8:23 am
12 hours from Sandy with meal, gas and potty breaks
We took 12 with stops at newspaper rock and 4 corners. This was not a tough trip folks. Shorter than san diego or LA

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » December 15th, 2018, 9:50 am

The problem is the uncertainty of when and what bowl game the Aggies will be going to each year. My schedule is set weeks to months in advance and can’t be changed easily. It really is a toss of the coin each year if I can make a bowl game. This year, I’ll be watching it on TV.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 15th, 2018, 10:05 am

Aggie fans will come and Aggie fans will travel when there is a feeling of being connected to the team and general excitement around the program. For instance, I remember the 2011 NCAA basketball tournament in Tucson. Huge Aggie turnout for that game. Probably 5 to 7 thousand. The community was invested and had a connection to the program and that group of players. Even going back to the Big west tournaments during Spencer Nelson’s time, there were large crowds down in Anaheim.

You can’t guilt people into excitement for a team. Yes, this has been a special year, yes it is a fun team to watch. But I don’t think the community has come close to embracing this football team like it did with the basketball teams with Harris, Newbold, Williams, Wesley and Nelson. I don’t know why, but you can’t force it or guilt people. Hopefully Andersen can connect the community and Alumni to the football teams moving forward. It could be that the last 4 years were underwhelming and many lost interest.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 15th, 2018, 10:43 am

Agreed:

Dilly x2!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 15th, 2018, 4:07 pm

jackmormon wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 9:18 am
Here here
This is good to know. Not sure that I've ever typed the phrase before.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 15th, 2018, 7:36 pm

December 15th, 2018, 4:07 pm
jackmormon wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 9:18 am
Here here
This is good to know. Not sure that I've ever typed the phrase before.
Sorry, that was kind of a dick move. But I was on dick roll and couldn’t stop myself.

Locked Previous topicNext topic