How do we build the fanbase?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Now that we've become a good program how can we build the fan base to where we are consistently filling up the Mav?
I think we should start a program in the elementary, middle school and high school level that would reward kids with free tickets and hotdog and drink vouchers at the game. Whether it be in academics or doing something outstanding in their community. Half the battle is getting people to games. Thoughts anyone?

Madmartigan

Re: How do we build the fanbase?

Post by Madmartigan » December 16th, 2018, 1:35 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 1:27 pm
Now that we've become a good program how can we build the fan base to where we are consistently filling up the Mav?
I think we should start a program in the elementary, middle school and high school level that would reward kids with free tickets and hotdog and drink vouchers at the game. Whether it be in academics or doing something outstanding in their community. Half the battle is getting people to games. Thoughts anyone?
Andecdotal, but most of the fans I am surrounded by at Bowl and home games are of the baby boomer generation. We do need to attract younger fans to have a future as a program.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 16th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Promotions with elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools and their families. Younger fans
Last edited by USUBlue on December 16th, 2018, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2018, 1:42 pm

I also wonder if we could do something similar to the SL Bees. Have youth teams on the field with team and do an intro on the field.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » December 16th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Have a little league game at the Stadium 2-3 hours before USU game, give players tickets.

Also, have more Friday night HS games there. These activities familiarize people with the stadium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 16th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Friday night games between local schools would be awesome.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » December 16th, 2018, 5:05 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 1:27 pm
Great idea, put together a donation for youth tix +1 for a parent. I would say also buy local family members aggie gear if they seem indifferent to the sports, and get them involved.

Maybe the school needs to hire a marketing firm to increase brand prevalence in the community and state, especially at the satellite locations, ie Brigham ..Toole just to name a couple.

These are just spitballing ideas.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 16th, 2018, 5:13 pm

We've had this discussion before but here are my thoughts

We need more Outreach into the community especially in the retail markets. Every single retail store in the valley should have Utah state flag or poster or something hanging on the wall.

If you go into places like Pullman and Blacksburg Virginia , South Bend, Manhattan KS, Lincoln, Stillwater, ECT ECT
Every single gas station every single Subway every single store you walk into will have something from the local University.
This helps inundate people and especially with the younger generation

Most of us have been to Boise you see the support that they get in their local community is crazy. They almost Brainwashed the youth to be Boise State fans. Florida was the same way when Florida was riding High, if you have been to Orlando lately you see it there too with UCF.

I've said this one several times but we need warming tents for Winter Games. A lot of ticket holders have younger kids or even newborns or toddlers. If there was a place that you could go for 5 or 10 minutes and get them warm it makes it a lot easier to come to the game.

The bathroom situation is a joke.
They should have tailgating on both the east and west side parking lots

Just a few thoughts

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 16th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Winning gets people to tune in on TV.

Game experience gets people to go to games.

Statewide presence builds the fan base. It starts but does not end in the valley.

More Aggie apparel available around the state is key. I think the demand exists. I think a Locker 42 store or at least a pop up shop in Salt Lake City would be a good idea.

Alumni need to be more active in helping students get jobs. Our education is quality but our network stinks. Come back to Logan and recruit students. When I was in school a few years ago, career fairs are filled with MLMs and local dead end jobs, except for major specific fairs.

We need more alumni that move out of Logan into SLC, and even bigger cities with a career minded focus. And then we need to retain those grads as Aggie fans. Meaning, Alumni events. I’m DC we watch games together- we go to a Nats game every year. Other cities should do the same.

The end goal would be more Aggie gear around the state- and a better view of USU academically by major employers which will hopefully increase recruiting.

Lastly we need to know what our brand is. Why should someone choose to be an Aggie over a Ute or Cougar? I’ve touched on things that would do to move us closer in fan base- but we need to know what makes us different. I think we are trying too hard to be accepted as equals. We should take a hold of what makes us different and show that we are not only different but can be superior for a lot of perspective students.

Aggie_in_Idaho

Post by Aggie_in_Idaho » December 16th, 2018, 5:38 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:We've had this discussion before but here are my thoughts

We need more Outreach into the community especially in the retail markets. Every single retail store in the valley should have Utah state flag or poster or something hanging on the wall.

Most of us have been to Boise you see the support that they get in their local community is crazy. They almost Brainwashed the youth to be Boise State fans.

Just a few thoughts
Yes it’s pretty crazy here in Boise. BsU banners and car flags everywhere. Walmart’s sell BsU clothing and memorabilia. A few even have Ybu stuff Image...

When I was living in Montana, we were 120 miles north of Missoula, but yet all the Convenience stores carried Grizzly items. Most of the clothing stores had Grizzly clothing...

I haven’t been down to Logan in a few years now, but I sure don’t recall seeing much of anything in Aggie stuff around town. I hope that this can change.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » December 16th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Students are the key. Think about when the spectrum was crazy. It started with the students and spread out from there.

The current students are the future alumni and need to be marketed to so they buy in now and when they are done at USU.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 16th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Lots of breeding. Maybe polygamy.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 16th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Aggie_in_Idaho wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:We've had this discussion before but here are my thoughts

Most of us have been to Boise you see the support that they get in their local community is crazy. They almost Brainwashed the youth to be Boise State fans.

Just a few thoughts
Yes it’s pretty crazy here in Boise. BsU banners and car flags everywhere. Walmart’s sell BsU clothing and memorabilia. A few even have Ybu stuff Image...

When I was living in Montana, we were 120 miles north of Missoula, but yet all the Convenience stores carried Grizzly items. Most of the clothing stores had Grizzly clothing...

I haven’t been down to Logan in a few years now, but I sure don’t recall seeing much of anything in Aggie stuff around town. I hope that this can change.

In Logan you'll find USU stuff everywhere.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » December 16th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Many students at USU and similar institutions are simply not interested in athletics and they resent being lectured to by anyone on the subject. They are trying to graduate, get a job and pay off obscene student loans made larger by having to support athletics with out their approval, current fees having been approved by students long gone from the university.

The best marketing a university can do is to provide a quality education at a reasonable price, something that is sorely lacking in today's era of athletics warfare, and special programs, offices, and services having little to do with education per se.

TheSauerkrautKid
Has thanked: 0

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » December 16th, 2018, 6:22 pm

1. Win more games.

End of list.

88USUAggie

Post by 88USUAggie » December 16th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Sauerkrautkid is correct...

Win - that's what it takes...students who are in Logan when the team wins will remember the fun they had at games, and will come back after graduation. We'll never get a lot of "dirt road alumni" (the folks who root for the Aggies because they have some affiliation to Logan/the valley). The U and Y have those populations wrapped up. The key is to have a sticky experience when people come to the game...have fun, make it easy to come, and win...lather, rinse, repeat.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » December 16th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Consistently winning is the necessary first step. I was a student at the start of the Stew Morrill era and have fond and vivid memories of games that probably skew my feelings toward USU generally and the basketball team in particular. The first memory that always comes to mind is the Troy Rolle dunk on the donks.

These same type of memories need to be made for the current students. Hopefully this year is the start to a long, consistent period of winning football where the games are great to watch and some excitement can be built up among current students. At the same time, the marketing department better ramp up to capitalize what happened this year. That includes coming up with promotions to get younger kids interested and pounding the pavement to area stores to get USU football plastered all over town with player and schedule posters. Maintaining success for the next five to six years is critical. I believe Andersen is capable of doing that on the field. The bigger question for me is whether the marketing department can take advantage of it.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » December 16th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Logan doesn't celebrate or promote the Aggies! It's a joke. It's not a college town atmosphere, yet it should be. There should be amazing pep rallies and food music the day or evening before games! Have players come and meet folks. Store fronts with painted Aggie windows and deals for Aggies... There is just nothing sadly.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » December 16th, 2018, 7:58 pm

I make an annual pilgrimage to 1 football game each year and am very disappointed at the lack of USU stuff being displayed by stores. Gassing up in burley at the maverick ( only due to USU affiliation) I thought they would at lest have some posters or paraphernalia for the Aggies out the day before a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » December 16th, 2018, 11:58 pm

BobWilson wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 6:20 pm
Many students at USU and similar institutions are simply not interested in athletics and they resent being lectured to by anyone on the subject. They are trying to graduate, get a job and pay off obscene student loans made larger by having to support athletics with out their approval, current fees having been approved by students long gone from the university.

The best marketing a university can do is to provide a quality education at a reasonable price, something that is sorely lacking in today's era of athletics warfare, and special programs, offices, and services having little to do with education per se.
So what is your solution to building the fan base? Go Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 17th, 2018, 5:24 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 4:22 pm
Friday night games between local schools would be awesome.
They already do that. Typically it's the second game of the high school season. Two or three schools from the valley participate because they make it a double header. Now if you're talking the night before an Aggie home game, they haven't tried that yet.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 17th, 2018, 5:26 am

aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Logan doesn't celebrate or promote the Aggies! It's a joke. It's not a college town atmosphere, yet it should be. There should be amazing pep rallies and food music the day or evening before games! Have players come and meet folks. Store fronts with painted Aggie windows and deals for Aggies... There is just nothing sadly.
I feel the same way. Logan IS a college town, only it's not. Unless you happen to be driving on the right street, you wouldn't have a clue that Utah State University is even here.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 17th, 2018, 6:56 am

Simple. Increase enrollment. The key to a supportive fanbase is a solid base of supportive alums. The alums generate excitement in the community.

USU's smaller enrollment is a big reason why our fanbase is smaller and why we sometimes struggle to sell out the stadium or basketball.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 17th, 2018, 6:58 am

As others said we need to get the students more involved.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 17th, 2018, 7:47 am

I think we heard some of the plan from Gary's press conference. Get out in the community and get the players talking to people. If you are invested in the players you will be more likely to show up.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » December 17th, 2018, 8:04 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 6:56 am

Simple. Increase enrollment. The key to a supportive fanbase is a solid base of supportive alums. The alums generate excitement in the community.

USU's smaller enrollment is a big reason why our fanbase is smaller and why we sometimes struggle to sell out the stadium or basketball.
Really? I thought out enticement numbers were always pretty good. Isn't it something like 27k undergraduate right now? Maybe that's across all campuses, but still.

JRA

Post by JRA » December 17th, 2018, 8:11 am

I agree with MWCFAN12, if you've been to Boise on a game day even the staff at the Marriott are wearing game day tshirts.

USU needs to do a major marketing campaign all through the valley.
Posters, banners, flyers and swag everywhere. Maybe take a break from the band playing at EVERY game. Have the youth play.
Players attending youth games and High School games in Jerseys.

JRA

Post by JRA » December 17th, 2018, 8:13 am

USU only has 15k-18k students in the valley. The other 10k are around the state using the distance education programs.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 17th, 2018, 8:45 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 6:58 am
As others said we need to get the students more involved.
College or high school? Our student section is definitely not the problem.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 17th, 2018, 8:46 am

Cache Valley as a whole does not understand what Utah State means to its economy. USU is the third largest driver to the economy in the state.

1. Hill AFB
2. University of Utah
3. Utah State University

How much sponsorship and reciprocation does USU get from local businesses and community? Yet many businesses succeed in Logan because the university provides a broad customer base and the employer is able to hire smart young students and pay them at or near minimum wage even upon graduation.

Is love see athletics partner up with local businesses and for say $1,000 donation you get to enroll in a program that gets you a $10 gameday shirts for your employees, a limited number of discounted season tickets, etc.

For $2,000 you get more perks such as four season tickets, 10 free gameday shirts, and a gameday flag etc.

For a little more you get in game mention etc.

Is it asking to much for each university employee to purchase and use a couple of season tickets? How many people are directly employed by the university? Is $200 a year for two season tickets too much to ask? That would fill at least half of the stadium.

And then there is the Wasatch front...there is little to no presence at all down here and yet I see a steady stream of cars decked out in Aggie great going to and from the games. Pro image and Fanzz carry so little Aggie gear it is criminal - there is lirerally no place to buy it unless you purchase online or go to Locker 42.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 17th, 2018, 8:53 am

Getting current fans more excited is a good step but in terms of building a fan base it’s a bit of “more cowbell”. Or at least putting the cart on in front of the horse. I agree what we need more students.

Certainly winning and swag are apart of it. But we need much deeper changes. It’s going to be difficult to just replicate Boise because Boise is too good and we were garbage when Boise was able to win multiple BCS games. This will not happen overnight. There are no quick fixes. It will probably take 5-10 years before we see meaningful results.

Improve our education, with business partners. Our colleges should dominate industries regionally, not just in the state but the west. We need a better career center that is respected by employers. We probably cannot establish a law school or med school- but better graduate programs. It’s ridiculous that our MBA seems to be focused on one of the least beneficial MBA specialties- HR.

We need a better Greek system. We need conference championships. We need better fan experiences.

It’s great to have more Aggie stuff in the valley, we will get that through giving a reason to support it. I’m optimistic that we will and are improving but we have a long way to go.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 17th, 2018, 9:06 am

dyedblue wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 8:46 am
Cache Valley as a whole does not understand what Utah State means to its economy. USU is the third largest driver to the economy in the state.

1. Hill AFB
2. University of Utah
3. Utah State University

How much sponsorship and reciprocation does USU get from local businesses and community? Yet many businesses succeed in Logan because the university provides a broad customer base and the employer is able to hire smart young students and pay them at or near minimum wage even upon graduation.

Is love see athletics partner up with local businesses and for say $1,000 donation you get to enroll in a program that gets you a $10 gameday shirts for your employees, a limited number of discounted season tickets, etc.

For $2,000 you get more perks such as four season tickets, 10 free gameday shirts, and a gameday flag etc.

For a little more you get in game mention etc.

Is it asking to much for each university employee to purchase and use a couple of season tickets? How many people are directly employed by the university? Is $200 a year for two season tickets too much to ask? That would fill at least half of the stadium.

And then there is the Wasatch front...there is little to no presence at all down here and yet I see a steady stream of cars decked out in Aggie great going to and from the games. Pro image and Fanzz carry so little Aggie gear it is criminal - there is lirerally no place to buy it unless you purchase online or go to Locker 42.

Wasatch front, Wasatch front, Wasatch front.

I bet it's quicker in and out of a game in Logan than in Salt Lake if you live anywhere North of Centerville.

School needs to market to all the alums in the on the front much better. It's really that simple.

Season tickets is the foundation, then better yield management the week of gameday. There should be no empty seats at the Mav, even if that means giving the tickets away to middle school students week of.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 17th, 2018, 10:00 am

TheSauerkrautKid wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 6:22 pm
1. Win more games.

End of list.
BEAT LSU !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 17th, 2018, 10:11 am

JRA wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 8:13 am
USU only has 15k-18k students in the valley. The other 10k are around the state using the distance education programs.
This.

As has been discussed on here many times, the fact that USU's enrollment at the main campus approximately 16,000 undergraduates right now means that USU is one of the smaller Universities in the State.

Yes, there are an additional 15,000 or so undergraduates in distance education programs throughout the State but none of those students or alums probably care about the football team. You aren't getting kids from Price, Utah attending the games in Logan. So, that explains the lack of fan support at the football and basketball games.

I'd like to see USU expand enrollment of the main campus. Maybe get enrollment up to Weber State's level, which has about 27,000 undergraduates. It would expand the fanbase.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 17th, 2018, 10:13 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 8:04 am
Tetonkatest wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 6:56 am

Really? I thought out enticement numbers were always pretty good. Isn't it something like 27k undergraduate right now? Maybe that's across all campuses, but still.
As stated above, it's about 16,000 undergrads at the Logan campus right now. That's our main fanbase.
Imagine if there were more alums living near Logan.

I don't know why they don't increase enrollment or if there is a hard cap. Maybe they can't expand campus, I don't know.

But you need a large enrollment to get a large alumni base.

From the universities stats there are about 149,000 living USU alums.
https://www.usu.edu/about/at-a-glance/

Locked Previous topicNext topic