What defense is Ena going to run?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 28th, 2018, 10:56 am

Any insights on what defense Justin Ena is going to run? I am assuming it will be a 3-4, but am not sure. Is he going to blitz a lot?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: What defense is Ena going to run?

Post by brownjeans » December 28th, 2018, 11:36 am

No idea.

But if I were to guess I'd think it will be much like Gary had. Gary didn't blitz a ton - not as much as Orlando did. If he models after what Gary had we'll do a 3/4/4 and sometimes a 3/3/5 and one LB will be a between a DE and an OLB and we'll have a safety who is between a SS and an OLB. Gary liked to find guys who were fast and athletic, but undersized and make use of them in certain situations. That's what the tweeners provide. We'll be looking for DBs who can press cover 1 on 1.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 28th, 2018, 1:04 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 11:36 am
No idea.

But if I were to guess I'd think it will be much like Gary had. Gary didn't blitz a ton - not as much as Orlando did. If he models after what Gary had we'll do a 3/4/4 and sometimes a 3/3/5 and one LB will be a between a DE and an OLB and we'll have a safety who is between a SS and an OLB. Gary liked to find guys who were fast and athletic, but undersized and make use of them in certain situations. That's what the tweeners provide. We'll be looking for DBs who can press cover 1 on 1.
Aranda didn't blitz? Didn't Gary hire him to do that? I sure hope they don't try and go vanilla.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 28th, 2018, 1:07 pm

brownjeans wrote:
No idea.

DE/OLB = Tipa Galeai
OLB/SS = Baron Gajkowski or Chance Parker

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 28th, 2018, 1:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 1:07 pm
brownjeans wrote:
No idea.

DE/OLB = Tipa Galeai
Possibly declaring

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 28th, 2018, 1:26 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 1:19 pm
aggies22 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No idea.

DE/OLB = Tipa Galeai
Possibly declaring
Message Board meltdown in three, two.....

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 28th, 2018, 1:35 pm

taniataylor wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No idea.

DE/OLB = Tipa Galeai
Possibly declaring
Well that's not good. We don't have a way to reload for all these guys leaving early.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 28th, 2018, 1:59 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 1:26 pm
taniataylor wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No idea.

DE/OLB = Tipa Galeai
Possibly declaring
Message Board meltdown in three, two.....
one......blast off

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 28th, 2018, 2:00 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 1:35 pm
taniataylor wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No idea.

DE/OLB = Tipa Galeai
Possibly declaring
Well that's not good. We don't have a way to reload for all these guys leaving early.
I know, at this point, it's a what if....but I got a reliable source

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 28th, 2018, 3:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No idea.

DE/OLB = Tipa Galeai
I’m excited to see what Gajkowski can do with more playing time. Seems like whenever he’s on the field, he’s around the ball and makes things happen.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 28th, 2018, 4:35 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 3:30 pm
aggies22 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No idea.

DE/OLB = Tipa Galeai
I’m excited to see what Gajkowski can do with more playing time. Seems like whenever he’s on the field, he’s around the ball and makes things happen.
Agreed. I was sort of surprised to not see Baron get more PT this year after having an impactful freshman year.

As for Tipa perhaps declaring - yeah I may lose it at that point if it happens. I would think having GA coming in and the potential to really build on their JR years would be appealing to these guys but apparently it isn't enough.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 28th, 2018, 5:24 pm

They have no relationship with Gary. They don't know him and probably don't care if he is the coach or someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 28th, 2018, 11:21 pm

I think I'm going to be sick. I sure miss the days of guys playing out their eligibility, but with how the pros like to draft on potential in both the NBA and NFL, it's hard to blame these players who's stock is peaking. What sucks is that these agents can say whatever they want to these players because it's not their college careers they're sacrificing. For agents it's low risk and high reward potential.

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » December 28th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Tipa is light for the NFL. He could use 10-15 lbs more to get ready. Hope he decides that too.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 29th, 2018, 7:52 am

Olderthandirt wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 11:51 pm
Tipa is light for the NFL. He could use 10-15 lbs more to get ready. Hope he decides that too.
Besides adding weight and strength he could really use more pass rush moves. I only saw a speed rush from him and not much more.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 29th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Tipa would be a huge loss. He was the guy disrupting the offense, getting double team blocking and game planed. He didn't get much credit for it. Our defense would have been much worse and Woodward wouldn't have had the numbers he had without Tipa.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 29th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 4:35 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 3:30 pm
aggies22 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No idea.

DE/OLB = Tipa Galeai
Agreed. I was sort of surprised to not see Baron get more PT this year after having an impactful freshman year.

As for Tipa perhaps declaring - yeah I may lose it at that point if it happens. I would think having GA coming in and the potential to really build on their JR years would be appealing to these guys but apparently it isn't enough.
Baron had a good bowl game. Jontrell was so solid this year that it was difficult to get playing time. Although I was surprised as our safety depth dwindled that he didn’t get more playing time there.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 29th, 2018, 4:13 pm

El Sapo wrote:Our defense would have been much worse and Woodward wouldn't have had the numbers he had without Tipa.
Our bowl Gabe would suggest otherwise. Woodward was an absolute beast with Tipa sitting out. Tipa needs to do what is best for him. If live to have him back, but we are loaded at linebacker.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 29th, 2018, 5:38 pm

dyedblue wrote:
El Sapo wrote:Our defense would have been much worse and Woodward wouldn't have had the numbers he had without Tipa.
Our bowl Gabe would suggest otherwise. Woodward was an absolute beast with Tipa sitting out. Tipa needs to do what is best for him. If live to have him back, but we are loaded at linebacker.

Obviously us fans have no control over anything but it’s hilarious how everybody on here just thinks we can lose all these good players, nfl players and it’s gonna be no big deal.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 29th, 2018, 5:43 pm

2004AG wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Obviously us fans have no control over anything but it’s hilarious how everybody on here just thinks we can lose all these good players, nfl players and it’s gonna be no big deal.

It would hurt but next man up. Getting players drafted is good for program.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 29th, 2018, 5:54 pm

2004AG wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

You're right. We're effed. I think I'll go root for the Tigers now.

Of course it hurts our team, but guys like Bright, Nathan, Scarver, Terrell, etc. Are real weapons with a very experienced QB.

Am I worried about losing Tipa? Heck yeah, dude is a freaking stud. But I'm not gonna cry because he is going to chase his dream. I'm more worried about losing Roc and Ferguson than I am Tipa. If only for the reason we all have an all-American out there at linebacker.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 29th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Wanna know what’s even better for the program? Having 85 players that are really good that win 11 games.

At some point you run out of some of these good players and the odds of us winning 11 games down more and more after losing good player after good player.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » December 29th, 2018, 6:13 pm

2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
2004AG wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Wanna know what’s even better for the program? Having 85 players that are really good that win 11 games.

At some point you run out of some of these good players and the odds of us winning 11 games down more and more after losing good player after good player.

Success breeds success. I'd love for any Aggie to go on and make a name for themselves in the NFL.

If we can't replace players that leave then we might as well shut off the lights.

I agree losing some of these players will be tough to replace, but we've got to learn how to reload if we're going to be consistent.

Coach A has talked about building the consistent teams in Logan, I'd rather be known as a school that wins in football, over one that wins 11 games every 40 years or so.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » January 1st, 2019, 11:41 am

We'll play on with what we have. The results are on GA. I feel optimistic in any case. Not 11 win optimistic, but I think we'll be solid. We can compete for a title with Boise/Fresno/SDS.

Football is a game of emotion. Especially defense. That's a GA strength. You could see it on the field when he was here and there were often comments from other teams coaches and players about how hard our guys played. He might screw up managing the game hahahahahah, but the players will go all out for him.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 1st, 2019, 12:07 pm

El Sapo wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 11:41 am
We'll play on with what we have. The results are on GA. I feel optimistic in any case. Not 11 win optimistic, but I think we'll be solid. We can compete for a title with Boise/Fresno/SDS.

Football is a game of emotion. Especially defense. That's a GA strength. You could see it on the field when he was here and there were often comments from other teams coaches and players about how hard our guys played. He might screw up managing the game hahahahahah, but the players will go all out for him.
Is it possible to manage games worse than Matt Wells? I think a sloth would be an upgrade to MW’s game management.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 1st, 2019, 12:50 pm

Andersen sucked at timeout and game management.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 1st, 2019, 7:18 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 12:07 pm
Is it possible to manage games worse than Matt Wells? I think a sloth would be an upgrade to MW’s game management.
Matt's clock and possession management was excellent.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 1st, 2019, 8:00 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 7:18 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
And his results in close games was awful. Save a great officiating call against CSU, what was his record in games decided by less than a touchdown? Find me a worse record in 1a coaching.....

6-16 is what I count his record in games decided by less than 7.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 1st, 2019, 8:48 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 8:00 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
And his results in close games was awful. Save a great officiating call against CSU, what was his record in games decided by less than a touchdown? Find me a worse record in 1a coaching.....

I'll take your word for it on the count, I'm too lazy to check. Besides, I don't think the W/L record in close games is a direct reflection of game management.

What do you define as game management? How many of those games were lost because Matt was out of time outs, bungled the clock, things like that? I can think of several times when Matt got his offense an extra possession before halftime by taking a time out when the other team was hoping to run out the clock. He was excellent at time and possession.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 1st, 2019, 9:45 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 8:48 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:

I'll take your word for it on the count, I'm too lazy to check. Besides, I don't think the W/L record in close games is a direct reflection of game management.

What do you define as game management? How many of those games were lost because Matt was out of time outs, bungled the clock, things like that? I can think of several times when Matt got his offense an extra possession before halftime by taking a time out when the other team was hoping to run out the clock. He was excellent at time and possession.
Good points.
It just felt like Matt had a knack for losing these games consistently.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 1st, 2019, 10:50 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 9:45 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:

Good points.
I can't argue against that. I often questioned our strategy (called plays) in close games - both on offense and defense.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 1st, 2019, 11:48 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 9:45 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:

Good points.
I can't argue against that. I often questioned our strategy (called plays) in close games - both on offense and defense.
The same things occur in every game. In close game they are magnified because the mistakes are obvious turning points. When a coach wins a close game fans often say he out coached his opponent.

If he loses then he was outcoached.

Am I wrong?

The way I see it is in 2015 we slipped as a program. There were a lot of issues going on and in 2016 we tanked as a program.

In 2017 we started to turn things back around and were learning how to win as a team, just like 2011. This year we clicked. We had great players making plays that makes coaching and talent deficiencies.

Wells game management wasn't really that different in 2018 than it was in 2013.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 2nd, 2019, 9:24 am

It's easy to manage a game when you are up by 40 points. Wells was very conservative at the end of games. It cost him most of the time.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » January 2nd, 2019, 12:16 pm

It seemed like there were at least 1-2 bad timeouts that shouldn't have been called and 1-2 timeouts that should have been called per game. Maybe that's bad time management, but i just think some timeouts were really odd when they were used or not. Did they lose us a game, not sure, just ill timed.

Full

Post by Full » January 2nd, 2019, 4:44 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
A great example is the 2016 New Mexico game. On 1st and 25 Utah State takes their final timeout with the clock stopped due to offensive PI. Out of the timeout Myers runs for a gain of 9 with 16 seconds on the clock. Much of the offense stayed on the field in an attempt to spike the ball, but the Special teams was sent out without enough time to get the kick off. Not all the offensive players were off the field when time expired. I did see some good clock management, but that sequence (unnecessary timeout and/or sending the special teams out) directly cost the team the opportunity to tie the game. Follow that up the next week they lost when kicking a field goal on 4th and 1 on the 4 to go up by 13 with 7:50 left. GA and MW have both proven they are NOT excellent at clock management.

Locked Previous topicNext topic