Bean

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Bean

Post by SLB » December 28th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Bean played 18 minutes
Scored 12 points
5/7 from the field (1/1 on 3s)
1/3 on FTs
7 Rebounds (3 offensive rebounds)
1 steal
1 assist
0 TOs
0 PFs

SpectrumMagic

Re: Bean

Post by SpectrumMagic » December 28th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Why did T Knoght not play much and Knight III not play?

SLB

Post by SLB » December 28th, 2018, 10:32 pm

I personally believe that Bean is a starter next year.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 28th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Baby Rodman

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » December 28th, 2018, 10:46 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 10:29 pm
Why did T Knoght not play much and Knight III not play?
In the post-game interview, Coach alluded to coach's decision. One half for T Knight. Whole game for JK3.

It should be noted that JK3 was positively involved from the bench for the duration in spite of the suspension. FWIW.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 29th, 2018, 3:20 am

SLB wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 10:32 pm
Simply uninformed. Bean will not even average 8 minutes a game next year. Smith is going to recruit way over him

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 29th, 2018, 1:04 pm

USUBlue wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 3:20 am
SLB wrote:
Simply uninformed. Bean will not even average 8 minutes a game next year. Smith is going to recruit way over him
You keep saying this, do you know what recruit over means? Bean is not even on scholarship, there is no recruiting over taking place of a walk on...thats just called recruiting. You act like you're making some hot take. IMO Bean has the tools to become a starting caliber player, might take a couple years but he will develop into a good player.

Calling Bean starting by his 3rd year, he will be given a scholarship by then. If I'm wrong, no sweat off my back...he's a walk on.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 29th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Recruiting over applies to anyone on the team. My son played for a D1 school that was very aggressive in how they managed walk ons and who they invited back versus who they let go at the end of each season. Why would it be a scholarship only thing? As for Bean, I hope he is good enough to become a starter. I would love to have a logjam of talent.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 29th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Scholarship players don't take the place of walk ons, they coexist. Unless you're inferring that Smith is gonna recruit walk ons to replace Bean

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » December 29th, 2018, 1:40 pm

What's so hard to understand? He means Smith will bring players that are better and will play instead of Bean. I like Bean but I hope we recruit greater talent. We are very limited offensively.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 29th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Lol wait so the hot take is Smith should bring in scholarship players better than a walk on freshman?

Stop the presses

gametime12
Been thanked: 0

Post by gametime12 » December 29th, 2018, 1:59 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 1:21 pm
Scholarship players don't take the place of walk ons, they coexist. Unless you're inferring that Smith is gonna recruit walk ons to replace Bean
Just me but I agree with your opinion on this. When I hear “recruit” I assume it’s scholarship players. Therefore when someone says “recruit over”, I’m assuming this applies to a player already on scholarship.

I assume there are programs that put a lot of time and effort into “recruiting” walk ons, but it seems like that would not be the norm, at least in the same way that scholarship players are recruited.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 29th, 2018, 2:02 pm

gametime12 wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 1:59 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Just me but I agree with your opinion on this. When I hear “recruit” I assume it’s scholarship players. Therefore when someone says “recruit over”, I’m assuming this applies to a player already on scholarship.

I assume there are programs that put a lot of time and effort into “recruiting” walk ons, but it seems like that would not be the norm, at least in the same way that scholarship players are recruited.
Yeah exactly, to me it makes 0 sense to even discuss the fact that a walk on should be "recruited over". It goes without saying, and doesn't even make a point.

My prediction is Bean will be good enough for his own scholarship eventually, and force his way into starters minutes if he can improve his defense and ball handling.

gametime12
Been thanked: 0

Post by gametime12 » December 29th, 2018, 2:07 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 2:02 pm
gametime12 wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 1:59 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Yeah exactly, to me it makes 0 sense to even discuss the fact that a walk on should be "recruited over". It goes without saying, and doesn't even make a point.

My prediction is Bean will be good enough for his own scholarship eventually, and force his way into starters minutes if he can improve his defense and ball handling.
Agreed. Time will tell, but it’s nice to have a walk on player with the ability to contribute as a freshman.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 29th, 2018, 4:14 pm

It sounds like I'm in the minority but I sure hope we are able to recruit players that are a better alternative to giving a scholarship to a walk-on. This isn't football and 85 scholarships, its basketball and with only 13 scholarships, each and every one of them should be used at a premium.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 29th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Aggies22 I agree.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 29th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Lest we get too carried away and start disecting Mr. Bean’s stats into points/40 minutes, etc., we need to remember that the Aggies were playing an NAIA school. For perspective’s sake, the NCAA has three divisions, I, II, and III. Division III offers no scholarships. The NAIA is a separate organization — of smaller schools, like Eastern Oregon. There are two NAIA divisions, I and II and are distinguished by the number of scholarships they offer, 11 versus 6 full or part scholarships. This divisional dinstinction pertains only to basketball and not to other sports that NAIA schools participate in.

Eastern Oregon is an NAIA Division II school, meaning that essentially only about one-half of its basketball players are on scholarship, or that the entire team is on 1/2 scholarships. Eastern Oregon played Division III Whittman College earlier in December and lost 73-118. Yes, that was by a margin 45 points. On the other hand, we beat Eastern Oregon last night by 27 points and Mr. Bean shined. He was playing against his peers.

AGGIEinIOWA

Bean

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 29th, 2018, 6:36 pm

utaggies wrote:Lest we get too carried away and start disecting Mr. Bean’s stats into points/40 minutes, etc., we need to remember that the Aggies were playing an NAIA school. For perspective’s sake, the NCAA has three divisions, I, II, and III. Division III offers no scholarships. The NAIA is a separate organization — of smaller schools, like Eastern Oregon. There are two NAIA divisions, I and II and are distinguished by the number of scholarships they offer, 11 versus 6 full or part scholarships. This divisional dinstinction pertains only to basketball and not to other sports that NAIA schools participate in.

Eastern Oregon is an NAIA Division II school, meaning that essentially only about one-half of its basketball players are on scholarship, or that the entire team is on 1/2 scholarships. Eastern Oregon played Division III Whittman College earlier in December and lost 73-118. Yes, that was by a margin 45 points. On the other hand, we beat Eastern Oregon last night by 27 points and Mr. Bean shined. He was playing against his peers.
You can put Mr Bean down by saying he was playing against his peers, but that doesn’t say much about our scholarship players then that played against the same competition and performed below Mr Bean’s level. I personally think Mr Bean is deceptively athletic, has decent length, has a high motor, and is developing a nice basketball IQ. Ok, so he doesn’t look like your prototypical all conference athlete, but neither does Sam. They both could pass as church-ball players if they were standing in a pickup game line up. I don’t care if he was the former water boy. Mr Bean has shown flashes of being a capable contributor and the type of player that can fit Coach Smith’s system and value system. He does have the bloodlines and was a prolific player in a respected high school league. I’d like to see him get some more minutes at the expense of a few of the guys in our current rotation and see what he can do. I think Smith will have a hard time keeping him on the bench as the season goes on.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 29th, 2018, 6:50 pm

To me Bean reminds me of Taylor. Taylor was a walk on and eventually earned a scholarship and has been a real solid contributor. I could see Bean eventually be someone like that. Is he going to be a first team MWC guy, probably not, but he should be solid.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 29th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 6:50 pm
To me Bean reminds me of Taylor. Taylor was a walk on and eventually earned a scholarship and has been a real solid contributor. I could see Bean eventually be someone like that. Is he going to be a first team MWC guy, probably not, but he should be solid.
The difference is, Taylor parlayed a dire big man situation into a scholarship by threatening to walk if he wasn't awarded one. Bean will not have that luxury.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 29th, 2018, 7:02 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 6:36 pm
utaggies wrote:Lest we get too carried away and start disecting Mr. Bean’s stats into points/40 minutes, etc., we need to remember that the Aggies were playing an NAIA school. For perspective’s sake, the NCAA has three divisions, I, II, and III. Division III offers no scholarships. The NAIA is a separate organization — of smaller schools, like Eastern Oregon. There are two NAIA divisions, I and II and are distinguished by the number of scholarships they offer, 11 versus 6 full or part scholarships. This divisional dinstinction pertains only to basketball and not to other sports that NAIA schools participate in.

You can put Mr Bean down by saying he was playing against his peers, but that doesn’t say much about our scholarship players then that played against the same competition and performed below Mr Bean’s level. I personally think Mr Bean is deceptively athletic, has decent length, has a high motor, and is developing a nice basketball IQ. Ok, so he doesn’t look like your prototypical all conference athlete, but neither does Sam. They both could pass as church-ball players if they were standing in a pickup game line up. I don’t care if he was the former water boy. Mr Bean has shown flashes of being a capable contributor and the type of player that can fit Coach Smith’s system and value system. He does have the bloodlines and was a prolific player in a respected high school league. I’d like to see him get some more minutes at the expense of a few of the guys in our current rotation and see what he can do. I think Smith will have a hard time keeping him on the bench as the season goes on.
My "peer" statement wasn’t a putdown to Justin. It was a statement of fact. I hope Justin excels. I hope he polishes his skills, works hard and proves that all of the doubters and nay-sayers were wrong. I hope he becomes a significant contributor to Aggie basketball success. I hope he becomes worthy of a scholarship. But based on his performance against a team that is mediocre even in its own NAIA classification (losing to California Maritime???) let’s not be led to believe that Justin Bean’s stats of last night are remotely translateable to those he would get against legitimate D1 competition.

I agree with you tho’ that some of our scholarship players ought to have been embarassed on how they played against Eastern Oregon compared to how Justin played. Brito went 1 for 11 from the field and had more turnovers than baskets. Duane Brown, with the same number of minutes as Justin, scored 4 points with some very questionable shooting decisions.
Last edited by utaggies on December 29th, 2018, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 29th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Bean is a 6'7 wing who looks like a potentially elite rebounder with his hustle, bad competition or not. There is always room for a guy like that on a roster

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 29th, 2018, 7:16 pm

utaggies wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 6:36 pm

My "peer" statement wasn’t a putdown to Justin. It was a statement of fact. I hope Justin excels. I hope he polishes his skills, works hard and proves that all of the doubters and nay-sayers were wrong. I hope he becomes a significant contributor to Aggie basketball success. I hope he becomes worthy of a scholarship. But based on his performance against a team that is mediocre even in its own NAIA classification (losing to California Maritime???) let’s not be lead to believe that Justin Bean’s stats of last night are remotely translateable to those he would get against legitimate D1 competition.

I agree with you tho’ that some of our scholarship players ought to have been embarassed on how they played against Eastern Oregon compared to how Justin played. Brito went 1 for 11 from the field and had more turnovers than baskets. Duane Brown, with the same number of minutes as Justin, scored 4 points with some very questionable shooting decisions.
I see where you are coming from and I think we are pretty much on the same page. I don’t necessarily see him as an entrenched starter and hope we can recruit an even higher level player, but I think he brings a ton of energy off the bench and warrants more playing time. I think had Justin been given more of a chance up till now he would have been able to put up respectable showings against higher quality opponents. Maybe he’ll get that chance yet.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 29th, 2018, 7:58 pm

I was at the game, and I saw the fact that Bean was the focus of the game plan (interesting since he has barely played). Bean looked good, and everyone around me felt the same way. Bean is a RS freshmen who is developing, and it was clearly his best game. We can't ignore the fact that Bean is our best rebounder.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » December 29th, 2018, 8:06 pm

USUBlue wrote:
SLB wrote:

If they were playing someone good instead of Eastern Oregon, Bean probably would not see the floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 29th, 2018, 9:11 pm

This thread = :bananafire:

Can’t we all be happy we are getting this level of production out of a walk-on?

I don’t think it’s fair to say he performed this well because he was “playing against his peers.” He’s played really well in all the limited minutes he’s gotten this year, mostly against D1 competition. Should he get a scholarship? I’d say that depends entirely on: (1) how he finishes the year; and (2) what recruits are available in the spring period. Most of our late signees pre-Smith weren’t great. Smith has a pretty good track record though with Queta, JK3, and T. Knight. I would hope we could find a difference maker rather than giving a scholarship to a walk-on, but if Bean plays more going forward and turns into a real contributor, there’s a case for rewarding him. Too early to say.

This is easily the best team we’ve had since the Wesley/Newbold/Williams years, and we’re doing it through defense and rebounding. Let’s just enjoy the ride.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 29th, 2018, 9:39 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 9:11 pm
This thread = :bananafire:

Can’t we all be happy we are getting this level of production out of a walk-on?

I don’t think it’s fair to say he performed this well because he was “playing against his peers.” He’s played really well in all the limited minutes he’s gotten this year, mostly against D1 competition. Should he get a scholarship? I’d say that depends entirely on: (1) how he finishes the year; and (2) what recruits are available in the spring period. Most of our late signees pre-Smith weren’t great. Smith has a pretty good track record though with Queta, JK3, and T. Knight. I would hope we could find a difference maker rather than giving a scholarship to a walk-on, but if Bean plays more going forward and turns into a real contributor, there’s a case for rewarding him. Too early to say.

This is easily the best team we’ve had since the Wesley/Newbold/Williams years, and we’re doing it through defense and rebounding. Let’s just enjoy the ride.
Here is someone who gets it. I get the feeling that people here are being silly. Not at one point in all the harsh comments pointed to actural stats or actural observation of basketball.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 29th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Season Stats on Bean
Played in 7 games
5.9 minutes per game
3.1 points per game
3.1 rebounds per game
.4 assists per game
.4 steals per game
.1 TOs per game
.7 PFs per game
0 blocks per game
61.5 % shooting from the field
1-1 on 3s
62.5 % on FTs

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 30th, 2018, 12:39 am

Not all scholarship players are stars. Not all starters are stars. I don't know what the future holds for Bean, but he looks pretty good for a walk on. He looks better than some of our current scholarship players. I'm glad we have him.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 30th, 2018, 7:52 am

SLB wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 11:02 pm
Season Stats on Bean
Played in 7 games
5.9 minutes per game
3.1 points per game
3.1 rebounds per game
.4 assists per game
.4 steals per game
.1 TOs per game
.7 PFs per game
0 blocks per game
1-1 on 3s
62.5 % on FTs
To be frank, I have no idea what you think our takeaway should be with the stats you have posted. But let me share with you a couple that may be more meaningful.

The eight highest ranked teams the Aggies have faced this season, according to Team Rankings, are (in order): Houston, St. Marys, Arizona St., BYU, Cal Irvine, Utah Valley, Weber St., and No. Iowa. Justin Bean’s stats in those games were:
DNP - 6 games
UVU - 0 minutes; 0 points
Cal Irvine - 1 minute; 0 points

The takeaway? Justin is not being relied on by the coaching staff to play ANY minutes against formidable opponents. — even in runaway Aggie wins which four of the games were.

In the other four D1 games we’ve played, with teams ranked #213, #309, #329, and #350 and which we won by an average of 35 points each, Justin played a total of 22 minutes going 3/6 scoring 10 points. His one “impact” game was against an NAIA team.

We all wish Justin Bean well and hope he has a productive career at USU, if nothing else in contributing on the practice squad, but to extrapolate his minutes or scoring average against an NAIA team, and a modest one at that, in an attempt to show what his potential contribution could be is simply nonsensical.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 30th, 2018, 10:02 am

SLB wrote:
Season Stats on Bean
Played in 7 games
5.9 minutes per game
3.1 points per game
3.1 rebounds per game
.4 assists per game
.4 steals per game
.1 TOs per game
.7 PFs per game
0 blocks per game
1-1 on 3s
62.5 % on FTs
To be frank, I have no idea what you think our takeaway should be with the stats you have posted. But let me share with you a couple that may be more meaningful.

The eight highest ranked teams the Aggies have faced this season, according to Team Rankings, are (in order): Houston, St. Marys, Arizona St., BYU, Cal Irvine, Utah Valley, Weber St., and No. Iowa. Justin Bean’s stats in those games were:
DNP - 6 games

The takeaway? Justin is not being relied on by the coaching staff to play ANY minutes against formidable opponents. — even in runaway Aggie wins which four of the games were.

In the other four D1 games we’ve played, with teams ranked #213, #309, #329, and #350 and which we won by an average of 35 points each, Justin played a total of 22 minutes going 3/6 scoring 10 points. His one “impact” game was against an NAIA team.

We all wish Justin Bean well and hope he has a productive career at USU, if nothing else in contributing on the practice squad. But to extrapolate his minutes or scoring average against an NAIA team, and a modest one at that, in an attempt to show what his potential contribution could be is simply nonsensical.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 30th, 2018, 2:24 pm

utaggies wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 10:02 am
SLB wrote:
Season Stats on Bean
Played in 7 games
5.9 minutes per game
3.1 points per game
3.1 rebounds per game
.4 assists per game
.4 steals per game
.1 TOs per game
.7 PFs per game
0 blocks per game
1-1 on 3s
62.5 % on FTs

DNP - 6 games

We all wish Justin Bean well and hope he has a productive career at USU, if nothing else in contributing on the practice squad. But to extrapolate his minutes or scoring average against an NAIA team, and a modest one at that, in an attempt to show what his potential contribution could be is simply nonsensical.
We also know that MWC is having a down year, and we will see more minutes from Bean. Pretty much everyone played in the game except Knight 3, and Bean was our 3rd leading scorer and tied for most rebounds. I have notice good rebounding with Bean about every time Bean plays. I noticed a game plan for periods of time that central having Bean playing with the starters in the Eastern Oregon game, and I also notice Fakira played a lot less and did not have the impact like Bean was having. Brown and Taylor are seniors, and we supposed to have 2 new forwards and maybe 2 big men returning from injuries in 2019. Bean is the only one not named Queta for forwards/centers to look good at this point. Bean is a RS freshmen not an upper classmen.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » January 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Count me among the people that think Bean is going to get more playing time. He looks like he belongs on the court. He seems to have a good court awareness, and has a knack for snagging rebounds.

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » January 2nd, 2019, 11:18 pm

I thought Bean was not much, but I am starting to see that he has potential.

I was very impressed with Fakira’s ability to set a screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 2nd, 2019, 11:29 pm

If our walk on players are better than our scholarship players, time to get new scholarship players

Locked Previous topicNext topic