Bean

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

Re: Bean

Post by treesap32 » January 5th, 2019, 5:57 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player.
You do realize that Quinn Taylor has started every single game this year, right? He's starting over scholarship players that were recruited since he took that scholarship that he rightfully earned. He has also started a total of 50 games in his career.

He's currently ranked 9th All-Time at Utah State in career field goal percentage. Right among many household names that you will recognize if you follow this link: https://usustats.com/records/career/fgpercentage

He's also a respectable three point shooter, one of the better ones we have had for a man of his size. At least in the last 30 years anyway...

You (and many others on this board and elsewhere) disparage Quinn Taylor because of the scarlet letter that he had of being a walk on when he joined the Aggies (very good analogy brownjeans). Apparently you can't let that go and look at him objectively. No, he's not a star, but he is a starting Mountain West player that has very good efficiency and positive impact on the team. In fact, he has one of the highest +/- rating of any player on our team this year.

ChicAggie made a nice post about Quinn Taylor earlier this year showing some of his advanced statistics. I'll reiterate a couple of those stats, but updated for the total amount of games we have played this year.

Win Shares (an estimated number of wins contributed by a specific player due to his offensive and defensive contributions)
Taylor ranks second on the team tied with Neemias Queta behind only Sam Merrill in total win shares.

Defensive Win Shares (focusing solely on defensive contributions)
Taylor ranks 3rd behind only Merrill and Queta

Offensive Win Shares (focused solely on offensive contributions)
Taylor ranks 2nd behind only Merrill.

Taylor is averaging 8.2 points per game (4th on team) and 6.2 rebounds per game (2nd on team). His rebounding numbers are second only to Queta who is the most elite rebounder (ironically besides Mr. Bean on a per minute basis) that we have seen in recent years. His stats are up in both rebounds, and points this year.

No, Quinn Taylor is not an all-conference type player. But it is impressive how much he has improved, and he is a key player on this team. Easily a starter for us. It's tiring hearing people harp on him over and over just because he came in as a walk on and isn't as flashy as some would prefer. He's a very solid player.

Oh, and who has the highest offensive, defensive, and total +/- ratings of any player on our team? Mr. Bean.

Who has the highest rebounds, points, and steals per 40 minutes? Mr. Bean.

Who has the highest 3 point percentage on our team? Mr. Bean.

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 5th, 2019, 6:18 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 3:49 am
We'll get better under Smith, but we won't get better with walkons playing significant minutes.
We also won't get better playing many of our current scholarship players significant minutes.
Who cares about their recruiting status, play the best players.

MetsJetsAggies

Bean

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 5th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Outrebounding Air Force himself at half time

Turrible

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 5th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Yep, so far tonight Bean has 7 rebounds, a block and an assist, and is shooting 50% from the field in a total of 10 minutes played.

The entire Air Force squad has a total of 6 rebounds in the first 20 minutes.

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » January 5th, 2019, 8:47 pm

I think Bean has a ton of upside.

AggieBlueMint

Post by AggieBlueMint » January 5th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Anybody know Bean's final stats for the game? Including how many minutes he played?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 5th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Bean's line:

2 points
1-2 from the field
7 Rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks

15 minutes played.

Taylor's line:

16 points
7-8 from the field
2-3 from 3 point range
6 Rebounds
4 Assists
1 Block
2 Steals

31 Minutes played.

aggiefanatic

Post by aggiefanatic » January 5th, 2019, 9:22 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Taylor's line:

16 points
7-8 from the field
2-3 from 3 point range
6 Rebounds
4 Assists
1 Block
2 Steals

31 Minutes played.
Looks like Quinn read the board...

WAAggie

Bean

Post by WAAggie » January 5th, 2019, 9:23 pm

But they are just walkons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » January 5th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Bean is a ball magnet. Outstanding rebounder. I’m in the camp that wants him to get more minutes. He looked comfortable out there tonight, and I’d like to see how he looks against better opposition.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

ususports

Post by ususports » January 5th, 2019, 9:37 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Bean's line:

2 points
1-2 from the field
7 Rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks

15 minutes played.

Taylor's line:

16 points
7-8 from the field
2-3 from 3 point range
6 Rebounds
4 Assists
1 Block
2 Steals

31 Minutes played.
It will be interesting to see their stats against Mountain West conference opponents. ;)

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » January 5th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Dennis Rodman is in the f*cking NBA Hall of Fame, dude.
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 10:29 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Yep, so far tonight Bean has 7 rebounds, a block and an assist, and is shooting 50% from the field in a total of 10 minutes played.

The entire Air Force squad has a total of 6 rebounds in the first 20 minutes.
And a very ugly turnover trying to dribble down the court, showing that he's no ball handler. In fact when he went behind his back with the ball, he had to look down and almost stop to find the ball. He's not a player that can create or break anyone down of the dribble. I'm still looking for better players; but y'all can have an Aggasm about the next walkon that rebounds.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 10:30 pm

sancho839 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Dennis Rodman is in the f*cking NBA Hall of Fame, dude.
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 11:33 am
I like Bean. I see him being a good contributor in the next few years. He reminds me of a Ginobili type of 6th man player. He can come in and provide a spark and make an impact in the game. Those types of players are critical in successful teams. Like a Brian Green.
Except he can’t shoot, can’t dribbled, and can’t pass. I guess if you just need a guy to rebound he’s your guy. More like a Dennis Rodman. Of course we were pretty good rebounding team without Bean, so I imagine all he’s doing is getting rebounds that others would get
Well I'm sure Bean will make the Hall of Fame at USU by his rebounding.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 10:31 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Bean's line:

2 points
1-2 from the field
7 Rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks

15 minutes played.

Taylor's line:

16 points
7-8 from the field
2-3 from 3 point range
6 Rebounds
4 Assists
1 Block
2 Steals

31 Minutes played.
Make sure to list the turnovers and how many points they gave up to the guy they were guarding.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 10:32 pm

AggieBlueMint wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Anybody know Bean's final stats for the game? Including how many minutes he played?
I hope all Aggies want better players on the team next year than Taylor and Bean's level.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 5th, 2019, 10:49 pm

LMAO. You literally found the one thing that Bean did wrong all night (his sole turnover) and commented on it while ignoring the rest. And no mention of Taylor and his line.

Bean:
1 turnover

Taylor:
2 Turnovers

Merrill:
3 Turnovers

Queta:
3 Turnovers

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 5th, 2019, 10:59 pm

treesap32 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player.
You do realize that Quinn Taylor has started every single game this year, right? He's starting over scholarship players that were recruited since he took that scholarship that he rightfully earned. He has also started a total of 50 games in his career.

He's currently ranked 9th All-Time at Utah State in career field goal percentage. Right among many household names that you will recognize if you follow this link: https://usustats.com/records/career/fgpercentage

He's also a respectable three point shooter, one of the better ones we have had for a man of his size. At least in the last 30 years anyway...

You (and many others on this board and elsewhere) disparage Quinn Taylor because of the scarlet letter that he had of being a walk on when he joined the Aggies (very good analogy brownjeans). Apparently you can't let that go and look at him objectively. No, he's not a star, but he is a starting Mountain West player that has very good efficiency and positive impact on the team. In fact, he has one of the highest +/- rating of any player on our team this year.

ChicAggie made a nice post about Quinn Taylor earlier this year showing some of his advanced statistics. I'll reiterate a couple of those stats, but updated for the total amount of games we have played this year.

Win Shares (an estimated number of wins contributed by a specific player due to his offensive and defensive contributions)
Taylor ranks second on the team tied with Neemias Queta behind only Sam Merrill in total win shares.

Taylor is averaging 8.2 points per game (4th on team) and 6.2 rebounds per game (2nd on team). His rebounding numbers are second only to Queta who is the most elite rebounder (ironically besides Mr. Bean on a per minute basis) that we have seen in recent years. His stats are up in both rebounds, and points this year.

No, Quinn Taylor is not an all-conference type player. But it is impressive how much he has improved, and he is a key player on this team. Easily a starter for us. It's tiring hearing people harp on him over and over just because he came in as a walk on and isn't as flashy as some would prefer. He's a very solid player.

Oh, and who has the highest offensive, defensive, and total +/- ratings of any player on our team? Mr. Bean.

Taylor is a starter on this team but he shouldn’t be a starter on a team competing for a MW championship.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 5th, 2019, 11:00 pm

I have always felt it worthwhile and satisfying to demean and belittle our own players publicly.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 5th, 2019, 11:09 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 10:31 pm
treesap32 wrote:
Bean's line:

2 points
1-2 from the field
7 Rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks

15 minutes played.

Taylor's line:

16 points
7-8 from the field
2-3 from 3 point range
6 Rebounds
4 Assists
1 Block
2 Steals

31 Minutes played.
Make sure to list the turnovers and how many points they gave up to the guy they were guarding.
Lol.

Lots of 3s tonight from AF in the 2nd half, most with Bean on the bench to start the 2H

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 5th, 2019, 11:12 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:00 pm
I have always felt it worthwhile and satisfying to demean and belittle our own players publicly.

They don't have Duryea to (I can't express myself without swearing) and moan about anymore, gotta find something else! Some land on Taylor, looks like Blue landed on a walk on freshman because some people think he has potential to be a good player down the road... :roll:

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:17 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 5:57 pm
USUBlue wrote:

You do realize Sap that the only reason Taylor or Bean have those kind of stats is because there are no other players to play. Clearly problems with recruiting by Duryea, and now Smith's first year. For summary, Smith signed 5 guys: 2 are not playing due to grades; TKnight is not playing due to what "not good enough" or "too out of control"; another Fakira really needed to redshirt but with the continuous injuries to Stall and injury to Grootfam, no such luck. Bottom line, out of 5 recruits, only 1 Queta is playing regularly.

And since somebody has got to get the minutes and point, that leaves you Taylor and Bean. Nothing special -- let's hope for better.

aggieup15
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggieup15 » January 5th, 2019, 11:17 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

They don't have Duryea to b**** and moan about anymore, gotta find something else! Some land on Taylor, looks like Blue landed on a walk on freshman because some people think he has potential to be a good player down the road... :roll:
You couldn’t have said it better. Those two boys did great tonight and are great assets to this team, why is there even negative comments about how they played when we won and they both did well.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:20 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:09 pm
USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Bean's line:

2 points
1-2 from the field
7 Rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks

15 minutes played.

Taylor's line:

16 points
7-8 from the field
2-3 from 3 point range
6 Rebounds
4 Assists
1 Block
2 Steals

31 Minutes played.
Lol.

Lots of 3s tonight from AF in the 2nd half, most with Bean on the bench to start the 2H
Taylor was a huge defensive liability tonight. He scored about 16, but he must have given up 30. Taylor just doesn't stay in position or close enough to his man to stop an open shot. So let's play Bean -- he's no better, but at least he can get some more stats. I want better players, but that's just me. So for this year, I don't really care who plays except that I'd like to see TKnight get more time to develop.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:21 pm

aggieup15 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:17 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

They don't have Duryea to b**** and moan about anymore, gotta find something else! Some land on Taylor, looks like Blue landed on a walk on freshman because some people think he has potential to be a good player down the road... :roll:
You couldn’t have said it better. Those two boys did great tonight and are great assets to this team, why is there even negative comments about how they played when we won and they both did well.

I've loved the way Smith coaches (there's your positive); I do not like the lack of talent on this team -- Smith's first year of recruiting has not been good except for Queta.

SLB

Post by SLB » January 5th, 2019, 11:22 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 10:49 pm
LMAO. You literally found the one thing that Bean did wrong all night (his sole turnover) and commented on it while ignoring the rest. And no mention of Taylor and his line.

Bean:
1 turnover

Taylor:
2 Turnovers

Merrill:
3 Turnovers

Queta:
3 Turnovers
Bean has one TO in 3 games, and I admit that it was a bit ugly.
Over the last games, my review on this is the following:
Bean is great at rebounding, passing, not doing dumb plays, and has great hands. His ability to catch passes that was something that other players needed to get out of trouble in this Air Force game.
Decent defense and can get steals. It wasn't perfect, but Bean is way better than some of our players at defense.
Bean's scoring seems to have some confidence missing and needs work.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:26 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:

You do realize that this is the "fans" forum, not the "cheerleader" forum. I'm going to talk about the good and bad -- as usual. No BBall walkon is ever going to be enough and never has been enough in over 50 years I've been watching USU. Time to get better players than Taylor, Bean, and Porter. If the scholarship guys aren't better, get rid of them. In BBall, you can replace all 13 players if you want.

aggieup15

Post by aggieup15 » January 5th, 2019, 11:26 pm

treesap32 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:

Your comments are always well thought out and balanced. Thank you for contributing facts. It’s getting old that people are criticizing these players because they are “walkons”. These guys did great tonight, I hope for continue growth for them and the rest of this team moving forward.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 5th, 2019, 11:29 pm

USUBlue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

You do realize that this is the "fans" forum, not the "cheerleader" forum. I'm going to talk about the good and bad -- as usual. No BBall walkon is ever going to be enough and never has been enough in over 50 years I've been watching USU. Time to get better players than Taylor, Bean, and Porter. If the scholarship guys aren't better, get rid of them. In BBall, you can replace all 13 players if you want.
I said it felt worthwhile and satisfying. I’m glad you agree. Get after those kids!! It really helps you feel like a man. I love it.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:30 pm

SLB wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:22 pm
treesap32 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Bean:
1 turnover

Taylor:
2 Turnovers

Merrill:
3 Turnovers

Queta:
3 Turnovers
Bean has one TO in 3 games, and I admit that it was a bit ugly.
Over the last games, my review on this is the following:
Bean is great at rebounding, passing, not doing dumb plays, and has great hands. His ability to catch passes that was something that other players needed to get out of trouble in this Air Force game.
Decent defense and can get steals. It wasn't perfect, but Bean is way better than some of our players at defense.
Bean's scoring seems to have some confidence missing and needs work.
Bean is a very limited player. His behind the back attempt at dribbling looked Shaq-like. He is not an outside player -- doesn't have the skills. And by real post players (not Air Force guys), he's going to get worked and muscled down. A Shawn Daniels would OWN Bean. Let's shoot higher boys than an undersized, undertalented 4 man.

If I agree with all of you that Bean should be in the USU Hall of Fame because of his rebounding, will that satisfy you.

aggieup15

Post by aggieup15 » January 5th, 2019, 11:31 pm

USUBlue wrote:
AggieBlueMint wrote:
I hope all Aggies want better players on the team next year than Taylor and Bean's level.
Ya, we should get more players like we had last year like Koby for example. He did so great for us! In the games he played in last year where he got the most points or got a career high we always lost. Both Bean and Taylor are TEAM players who work hard and do the dirty work and help our team succeed without having to be in the limelight like other selfish players. But you’re right, why would we want good team players like them who have helped us win this year when we could get better ones like Koby, even though we lost more games with him than without.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:32 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:29 pm
USUBlue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I said it felt worthwhile and satisfying. I’m glad you agree. Get after those kids!! It really helps you feel like a man. I love it.

I don't worry about "feeling like a man", just talking about BBall on a fan forum about the coaches, players, and the game. Nothing personal, just BBall. You can make it personal, but then that would be your problem.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 5th, 2019, 11:33 pm

USUBlue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:29 pm
USUBlue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I don't worry about "feeling like a man", just talking about BBall on a fan forum about the coaches, players, and the game. Nothing personal, just BBall. You can make it personal, but then that would be your problem.
Nope. You’re doing great! Never change!

aggieup15

Post by aggieup15 » January 5th, 2019, 11:35 pm

USUBlue wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:09 pm
USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Bean's line:

2 points
1-2 from the field
7 Rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks

15 minutes played.

Taylor's line:

16 points
7-8 from the field
2-3 from 3 point range
6 Rebounds
4 Assists
1 Block
2 Steals

31 Minutes played.
Lol.

Taylor was a huge defensive liability tonight. He scored about 16, but he must have given up 30. Taylor just doesn't stay in position or close enough to his man to stop an open shot. So let's play Bean -- he's no better, but at least he can get some more stats. I want better players, but that's just me. So for this year, I don't really care who plays except that I'd like to see TKnight get more time to develop.
He gets dumb fouls called on him all the time, he was actually playing SMART defense. You should find something else negative to point out about him, because that one was stupid.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:35 pm

aggieup15 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:31 pm
USUBlue wrote:
AggieBlueMint wrote:
Ya, we should get more players like we had last year like Koby for example. He did so great for us! In the games he played in last year where he got the most points or got a career high we always lost. Both Bean and Taylor are TEAM players who work hard and do the dirty work and help our team succeed without having to be in the limelight like other selfish players. But you’re right, why would we want good team players like them who have helped us win this year when we could get better ones like Koby, even though we lost more games with him than without.

I didn't like how Duryea used Koby. I thought it was unfair and didn't develop him in a team approach. So we agree. BUT Koby had talent and I think Smith would love to have him right now at the point. Bean, Taylor, Brito, Porter, etc. are all team players, but they lack talent. And when we go on the road in the MWC, there are going to be some very surprising loses for many of you.

Locked Previous topicNext topic