Bean

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Jjoey53

Bean

Post by Jjoey53 » January 5th, 2019, 11:36 pm

2004AG wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player.
You do realize that Quinn Taylor has started every single game this year, right? He's starting over scholarship players that were recruited since he took that scholarship that he rightfully earned. He has also started a total of 50 games in his career.

He's currently ranked 9th All-Time at Utah State in career field goal percentage. Right among many household names that you will recognize if you follow this link: https://usustats.com/records/career/fgpercentage

He's also a respectable three point shooter, one of the better ones we have had for a man of his size. At least in the last 30 years anyway...

You (and many others on this board and elsewhere) disparage Quinn Taylor because of the scarlet letter that he had of being a walk on when he joined the Aggies (very good analogy brownjeans). Apparently you can't let that go and look at him objectively. No, he's not a star, but he is a starting Mountain West player that has very good efficiency and positive impact on the team. In fact, he has one of the highest +/- rating of any player on our team this year.

ChicAggie made a nice post about Quinn Taylor earlier this year showing some of his advanced statistics. I'll reiterate a couple of those stats, but updated for the total amount of games we have played this year.

Win Shares (an estimated number of wins contributed by a specific player due to his offensive and defensive contributions)
Taylor ranks second on the team tied with Neemias Queta behind only Sam Merrill in total win shares.

Defensive Win Shares (focusing solely on defensive contributions)
Taylor ranks 3rd behind only Merrill and Queta

Offensive Win Shares (focused solely on offensive contributions)
Taylor ranks 2nd behind only Merrill.

Taylor is averaging 8.2 points per game (4th on team) and 6.2 rebounds per game (2nd on team). His rebounding numbers are second only to Queta who is the most elite rebounder (ironically besides Mr. Bean on a per minute basis) that we have seen in recent years. His stats are up in both rebounds, and points this year.

No, Quinn Taylor is not an all-conference type player. But it is impressive how much he has improved, and he is a key player on this team. Easily a starter for us. It's tiring hearing people harp on him over and over just because he came in as a walk on and isn't as flashy as some would prefer. He's a very solid player.

Oh, and who has the highest offensive, defensive, and total +/- ratings of any player on our team? Mr. Bean.

Who has the highest rebounds, points, and steals per 40 minutes? Mr. Bean.

Who has the highest 3 point percentage on our team? Mr. Bean.

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:
Taylor is a starter on this team but he shouldn’t be a starter on a team competing for a MW championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is and they are. He has been a solid contributor for 4 years here. He has contributed a lot more than many scholarship players during this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USUBlue
13=13

Re: Bean

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:37 pm

aggieup15 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:35 pm
USUBlue wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:09 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 10:31 pm
treesap32 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 8:58 pm
Bean's line:

2 points
1-2 from the field
7 Rebounds
1 assist
2 blocks

15 minutes played.

Taylor's line:

16 points
7-8 from the field
2-3 from 3 point range
6 Rebounds
4 Assists
1 Block
2 Steals

31 Minutes played.
Make sure to list the turnovers and how many points they gave up to the guy they were guarding.
Lol.

Lots of 3s tonight from AF in the 2nd half, most with Bean on the bench to start the 2H
Taylor was a huge defensive liability tonight. He scored about 16, but he must have given up 30. Taylor just doesn't stay in position or close enough to his man to stop an open shot. So let's play Bean -- he's no better, but at least he can get some more stats. I want better players, but that's just me. So for this year, I don't really care who plays except that I'd like to see TKnight get more time to develop.
He gets dumb fouls called on him all the time, he was actually playing SMART defense. You should find something else negative to point out about him, because that one was stupid.

Oh I imagine I've forgotten more about BBall then you've ever known. I'm fine with Taylor, Bean, Porter as role players getting about 10 minutes a game. The problem is they are 3 of the top 7 players on our team. That's bad recruiting.

SLB

Post by SLB » January 5th, 2019, 11:38 pm

aggieup15 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:26 pm
treesap32 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Fair enough. I guess I'm just remembering when this "board" was all excited about our "newest" walkon that looked promising -- Quinn Taylor. Somehow Taylor negotiated Duryea's poor recruiting into a scholarship, and the rest of Taylor's mediocre play is well known.

In short, USU has never had a BBall walkon in the 50 years + I've been watching that amounted to anything more than a very mediocre role player.
You do realize that Quinn Taylor has started every single game this year, right? He's starting over scholarship players that were recruited since he took that scholarship that he rightfully earned. He has also started a total of 50 games in his career.

He's currently ranked 9th All-Time at Utah State in career field goal percentage. Right among many household names that you will recognize if you follow this link: https://usustats.com/records/career/fgpercentage

He's also a respectable three point shooter, one of the better ones we have had for a man of his size. At least in the last 30 years anyway...

You (and many others on this board and elsewhere) disparage Quinn Taylor because of the scarlet letter that he had of being a walk on when he joined the Aggies (very good analogy brownjeans). Apparently you can't let that go and look at him objectively. No, he's not a star, but he is a starting Mountain West player that has very good efficiency and positive impact on the team. In fact, he has one of the highest +/- rating of any player on our team this year.

ChicAggie made a nice post about Quinn Taylor earlier this year showing some of his advanced statistics. I'll reiterate a couple of those stats, but updated for the total amount of games we have played this year.

Win Shares (an estimated number of wins contributed by a specific player due to his offensive and defensive contributions)
Taylor ranks second on the team tied with Neemias Queta behind only Sam Merrill in total win shares.

Defensive Win Shares (focusing solely on defensive contributions)
Taylor ranks 3rd behind only Merrill and Queta

Offensive Win Shares (focused solely on offensive contributions)
Taylor ranks 2nd behind only Merrill.

Taylor is averaging 8.2 points per game (4th on team) and 6.2 rebounds per game (2nd on team). His rebounding numbers are second only to Queta who is the most elite rebounder (ironically besides Mr. Bean on a per minute basis) that we have seen in recent years. His stats are up in both rebounds, and points this year.

No, Quinn Taylor is not an all-conference type player. But it is impressive how much he has improved, and he is a key player on this team. Easily a starter for us. It's tiring hearing people harp on him over and over just because he came in as a walk on and isn't as flashy as some would prefer. He's a very solid player.

Oh, and who has the highest offensive, defensive, and total +/- ratings of any player on our team? Mr. Bean.

Who has the highest rebounds, points, and steals per 40 minutes? Mr. Bean.

Who has the highest 3 point percentage on our team? Mr. Bean.

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:
Your comments are always well thought out and balanced. Thank you for contributing facts. It’s getting old that people are criticizing these players because they are “walkons”. These guys did great tonight, I hope for continue growth for them and the rest of this team moving forward.

I don't get this hate the "walkons" thing. Quinn Taylor was a better big man than the others most of his career, and I am glad that he came and earned his scholarship here. Level of someone's play does not require a scholarship.
Look at the NFL draft for instance, the greatest quarterbacks to ever play were not picked in the 1st round. 1st round picks are the big deal in the draft.

aggieup15
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggieup15 » January 5th, 2019, 11:38 pm

USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:31 pm
USUBlue wrote:
AggieBlueMint wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Anybody know Bean's final stats for the game? Including how many minutes he played?
I hope all Aggies want better players on the team next year than Taylor and Bean's level.
Ya, we should get more players like we had last year like Koby for example. He did so great for us! In the games he played in last year where he got the most points or got a career high we always lost. Both Bean and Taylor are TEAM players who work hard and do the dirty work and help our team succeed without having to be in the limelight like other selfish players. But you’re right, why would we want good team players like them who have helped us win this year when we could get better ones like Koby, even though we lost more games with him than without.

I didn't like how Duryea used Koby. I thought it was unfair and didn't develop him in a team approach. So we agree. BUT Koby had talent and I think Smith would love to have him right now at the point. Bean, Taylor, Brito, Porter, etc. are all team players, but they lack talent. And when we go on the road in the MWC, there are going to be some very surprising loses for many of you.
It seems like you don’t like anything about anyone, but you seem to know TONS about basketball, so you should go to one of those Coach luncheons and bring your professional concerns to Smith and let him know your thoughts. I’m sure we’ll be so much better with your insight and bright attitude.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:41 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:36 pm
2004AG wrote:Taylor is a starter on this team but he shouldn’t be a starter on a team competing for a MW championship.

He is and they are. He has been a solid contributor for 4 years here. He has contributed a lot more than many scholarship players during this time.

The fact that Taylor has been a solid contributor for 4 years explains why Duryea was fired. Smith will not be successful (consistent Top 3) in the MWC having players like Taylor, Bean, and Porter/Ainge starting and getting 20+ minutes a game.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 5th, 2019, 11:42 pm

It's hilarious how we are actually having a good year (by several metrics, not even an opinion) for the first time in 7-8 years, and the miserables on the board still can't take 2 seconds away from pissing all over literally any basketball talk that isn't negative/bashing a player about something. It's really showing their true colors, it made a little more sense when we sucked...that anyone who tried to be positive about anything were cheerleaders, now we are a top 40-50 team and we can't talk about a surprisingly good walk on freshman without being cheerleaders. Let's go back to (I can't express myself without swearing) about the 3rd best player on a top 50 team instead

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 5th, 2019, 11:44 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:41 pm
Jjoey53 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:36 pm
2004AG wrote:Taylor is a starter on this team but he shouldn’t be a starter on a team competing for a MW championship.

The fact that Taylor has been a solid contributor for 4 years explains why Duryea was fired. Smith will not be successful (consistent Top 3) in the MWC having players like Taylor, Bean, and Porter/Ainge starting and getting 20+ minutes a game.
Statistically, Taylor is one of the better players in the MW this season. Obviously he has some limitations against athletic opponents, but he's not a bad player by any stretch even if he doesn't pass your eye test all the time

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:46 pm

aggieup15 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:38 pm
USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
AggieBlueMint wrote:
Anybody know Bean's final stats for the game? Including how many minutes he played?
I hope all Aggies want better players on the team next year than Taylor and Bean's level.
Ya, we should get more players like we had last year like Koby for example. He did so great for us! In the games he played in last year where he got the most points or got a career high we always lost. Both Bean and Taylor are TEAM players who work hard and do the dirty work and help our team succeed without having to be in the limelight like other selfish players. But you’re right, why would we want good team players like them who have helped us win this year when we could get better ones like Koby, even though we lost more games with him than without.

I didn't like how Duryea used Koby. I thought it was unfair and didn't develop him in a team approach. So we agree. BUT Koby had talent and I think Smith would love to have him right now at the point. Bean, Taylor, Brito, Porter, etc. are all team players, but they lack talent. And when we go on the road in the MWC, there are going to be some very surprising loses for many of you.
It seems like you don’t like anything about anyone, but you seem to know TONS about basketball, so you should go to one of those Coach luncheons and bring your professional concerns to Smith and let him know your thoughts. I’m sure we’ll be so much better with your insight and bright attitude.

Given your posts, I'm sure I know more about BBall than you. But I love what Smith is doing with an outmanned team; and we'll get through this year better than I hoped for. As for the players that are a step above -- look to Sam, Queta but stay out of foul trouble, and Miller should start coming around. Too bad about the Knights, but maybe 1 of them will become a step above. The rest -- working hard, playing hard, playing together -- lacking talent which will be exposed against better talent and on the road.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:47 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:42 pm
It's hilarious how we are actually having a good year (by several metrics, not even an opinion) for the first time in 7-8 years, and the miserables on the board still can't take 2 seconds away from pissing all over literally any basketball talk that isn't negative/bashing a player about something. It's really showing their true colors, it made a little more sense when we sucked...that anyone who tried to be positive about anything were cheerleaders, now we are a top 40-50 team and we can't talk about a surprisingly good walk on freshman without being cheerleaders. Let's go back to (I can't express myself without swearing) about the 3rd best player on a top 50 team instead
Nobody's (I can't express myself without swearing) MJA, just analyzing the coaches, players, and games. Sorry it doesn't meet with you cheerleader approach. Smith's a stud -- there does that help you.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » January 5th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Wow USUBlue sucks. Probably part of the nation's worst generation ever that just complains about everything all the time without appreciating what's happening. It's a coach in his first year at USU exceeding literally every expectation that anyone had this season, and this guy's only talking point is...... a walk on rebounds pretty well? What a loser.
These users thanked the author sancho839 for the post:
QuackAttackAggie

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 5th, 2019, 11:50 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:47 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:42 pm
Nobody's (I can't express myself without swearing) MJA, just analyzing the coaches, players, and games. Sorry it doesn't meet with you cheerleader approach. Smith's a stud -- there does that help you.
Your boy Quinn Taylor in the top 10 in multiple categories

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » January 5th, 2019, 11:50 pm

sancho839 wrote:Wow USUBlue sucks. Probably part of the nation's worst generation ever that just complains about everything all the time without appreciating what's happening. It's a coach in his first year at USU exceeding literally every expectation that anyone had this season, and this guy's only talking point is...... a walk on rebounds pretty well? What a loser.
No. He provides a valuable service. It’s important for the players and their family and friends to know that they suck and that we don’t want them here. You hear that Mr and Mrs Bean!?!

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

aggieup15

Post by aggieup15 » January 5th, 2019, 11:54 pm

USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:38 pm
USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
AggieBlueMint wrote:

Given your posts, I'm sure I know more about BBall than you. But I love what Smith is doing with an outmanned team; and we'll get through this year better than I hoped for. As for the players that are a step above -- look to Sam, Queta but stay out of foul trouble, and Miller should start coming around. Too bad about the Knights, but maybe 1 of them will become a step above. The rest -- working hard, playing hard, playing together -- lacking talent which will be exposed against better talent and on the road.
Given your post, it seems like you’re a bitter guy who was never good at anything so he contributes to online forums to make himself feel better. If you think Smith is doing such a great job, why do you keep criticizing the guys he chooses to play? It would be one thing if we were losing, but we’re not. The people playing are obviously doing Utah State good right now...so if you really knew what you were talking about you probably wouldn’t be posting 1/2 your comments. We lost earlier this week to Nevada and Taylor didn’t have the best game, but then look who Nevada lost to today....does that mean Nevada’s Coach is the stupid and doesn’t know what he’s doing?! No. It’s quite clear you seem very upset that these walkons that are playing for USU are doing so well and occasionally they have off games, if this really concerns you, you should get your diary out and journal your feelings there to make you feel better. But this team and these boys are doing great and that’s all we can ask for.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2019, 11:57 pm

sancho839 wrote:
Wow USUBlue sucks. Probably part of the nation's worst generation ever that just complains about everything all the time without appreciating what's happening. It's a coach in his first year at USU exceeding literally every expectation that anyone had this season, and this guy's only talking point is...... a walk on rebounds pretty well? What a loser.
Actually Sancho's take sucks. I'm part of the generation that actually help build this country for those that think this country owes them something. As for this year's team, I see it very clearly.

1. Better than I hoped -- probably 20+ wins and maybe an NIT
2. Smith is a stud and a very good hire -- hope his recruiting picks up.
3. Smith's X's and O's are well thought out and effective. Focus on defense, rebounding, limit turnovers (a struggle w/o PG), don't foul, get to the foul line, play hard, play fast, runs sets off ball not just ball screens, feed the post, etc.
4. 2 very good players, 1 player developing, everyone else just filling roles until better players replace them.
Last edited by USUBlue on January 6th, 2019, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » January 6th, 2019, 12:00 am

Can someone tell me why the Knights are not playing?

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » January 6th, 2019, 12:03 am

You love bashing USU and kids who give their all to this university. Thanks for nothing bro. I'd bet you've hurt this athletic department more than you've helped it. Your stubbornness is a stain.
USUBlue wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:57 pm
sancho839 wrote:
Actually Sancho's take sucks. I'm part of the generation that actually help build this country for those that think this country owes them something. As for this year's team, I see it very clearly.

3. Smith's X's and O's are well thought out and effective. Focus on defense, rebounding, limit turnover (struggle w/o PG), don't foul, get to the foul line, play hard, play fast, runs sets off ball not just ball screens, feeds the post, etc.
4. 2 very good plays, 1 player developing, everyone else just filling roles until better players replace them.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 6th, 2019, 12:05 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 12:00 am
Can someone tell me why the Knights are not playing?

JK3 academics, TK because he's not very good yet. True freshman who needs time for the game to slow down for him, I think he will be good in 1-2 years though

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 6th, 2019, 12:08 am

aggieup15 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:54 pm
USUBlue wrote:Given your posts, I'm sure I know more about BBall than you. But I love what Smith is doing with an outmanned team; and we'll get through this year better than I hoped for. As for the players that are a step above -- look to Sam, Queta but stay out of foul trouble, and Miller should start coming around. Too bad about the Knights, but maybe 1 of them will become a step above. The rest -- working hard, playing hard, playing together -- lacking talent which will be exposed against better talent and on the road.
Given your post, it seems like you’re a bitter guy who was never good at anything so he contributes to online forums to make himself feel better.You are quite the psychologist! But perhaps the more obvious deduction would be better; I watch BBall; know what I'm watching; and without trying to appease the cheerleader crowd discuss what I see! Let me help you aggieup, pay attention -- you might learn something. I've handled better than you on this forum many times and have usually been right. If you think Smith is doing such a great job, why do you keep criticizing the guys he chooses to play? Smith didn't choose these guys to play -- they are mostly left overs from Duryea and he's coaching them far better than Duryea ever could. Only Queta is his guy -- the other 4 recruits seem to be washing out. It would be one thing if we were losing, but we’re not. The people playing are obviously doing Utah State good right now...so if you really knew what you were talking about you probably wouldn’t be posting 1/2 your comments.Oh I clearly know what I'm talking about. The guys playing right now are playing for a good coach, are playing very hard, are focusing on fundamentals, and have won more games than I expected in Smith's 1st year. We lost earlier this week to Nevada and Taylor didn’t have the best game, but then look who Nevada lost to today....does that mean Nevada’s Coach is the stupid and doesn’t know what he’s doing?! It's going to get a lot tougher in a down MWC then most on this forum believe. We don't have players that are talented or athletic enough to win many MWC road games. I expect about 5 road losses in conference.No. It’s quite clear you seem very upset that these walkons that are playing for USU are doing so well and occasionally they have off games, if this really concerns you, you should get your diary out and journal your feelings there to make you feel better. But this team and these boys are doing great and that’s all we can ask for. I think if USU is playing walkons in BBall (different than FBall), it is a bad sign about failed recruiting. So I never like seeing walkons playing. But since we are playing with Duryea's leftovers, I guess walkons are about right.

Last edited by USUBlue on January 6th, 2019, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 6th, 2019, 12:10 am

sancho839 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 12:03 am
You love bashing USU and kids who give their all to this university. Thanks for nothing bro. I'd bet you've hurt this athletic department more than you've helped it. Your stubbornness is a stain.You're a fool Sancho!
USUBlue wrote:
sancho839 wrote:

3. Smith's X's and O's are well thought out and effective. Focus on defense, rebounding, limit turnover (struggle w/o PG), don't foul, get to the foul line, play hard, play fast, runs sets off ball not just ball screens, feeds the post, etc.
4. 2 very good plays, 1 player developing, everyone else just filling roles until better players replace them.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 6th, 2019, 12:10 am

I love the direction this thread is trending. For the record, you are all vastly inferior to me, so don’t get too excited about how much you know or have forgotten.

Additionally, all generations suck except mine. Chew on that for a minute.

Finally, I feel bean and Taylor have gotten the proper wrath they deserve for playing decently. Let’s talk more about Cru. Why does he get a pass?

aggieup15

Post by aggieup15 » January 6th, 2019, 12:17 am

USUBlue wrote:
aggieup15 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:54 pm
USUBlue wrote:Given your posts, I'm sure I know more about BBall than you. But I love what Smith is doing with an outmanned team; and we'll get through this year better than I hoped for. As for the players that are a step above -- look to Sam, Queta but stay out of foul trouble, and Miller should start coming around. Too bad about the Knights, but maybe 1 of them will become a step above. The rest -- working hard, playing hard, playing together -- lacking talent which will be exposed against better talent and on the road.
Given your post, it seems like you’re a bitter guy who was never good at anything so he contributes to online forums to make himself feel better.You are quite the psychologist! But perhaps the more obvious deduction would be better; I watch BBall; know what I'm watching; and without trying to appease the cheerleader crowd discuss what I see! Let me help you aggieup, pay attention -- you might learn something. I've handled better than you on this forum many times and have usually been right. If you think Smith is doing such a great job, why do you keep criticizing the guys he chooses to play? Smith didn't chose these guys to play -- they are mostly left overs from Duryea and he's coaching them far better than Duryea ever could. Only Queta is guy -- the other 4 recruits seem to be washing out. It would be one thing if we were losing, but we’re not. The people playing are obviously doing Utah State good right now...so if you really knew what you were talking about you probably wouldn’t be posting 1/2 your comments.Oh I clearly know what I'm talking about. The guys players right now are playing for a good coach, are playing very hard, are focusing on fundamentals, and have won more games than I expected in Smith's 1st year. We lost earlier this week to Nevada and Taylor didn’t have the best game, but then look who Nevada lost to today....does that mean Nevada’s Coach is the stupid and doesn’t know what he’s doing?! It's going to get a lot tougher in a down MWC then most on this forum believe. We don't have players that are talented or athletic enough to win many MWC road games. I expect about 5 road losses in conference.No. It’s quite clear you seem very upset that these walkons that are playing for USU are doing so well and occasionally they have off games, if this really concerns you, you should get your diary out and journal your feelings there to make you feel better. But this team and these boys are doing great and that’s all we can ask for. I think if USU is playing walkons in BBall (different than FBall), it is a bad sign about failed recruiting. So now I never like seeing walkons playing. But since we are playing with Duryea's leftovers, I guess walkons are about right.

Im not trying to be a “cheerleader” your remarks are just not intelligent enough to have any support or backing for them. So I’m wondering if what you claim to “see” and then report on is because your eyes are failing you or you’re watching a different game. I appreciate your font color change in this forum though, you’re getting crafty. But if you really wanted to show me how to “AGGIE-UP” you should’ve used blue, not red.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 6th, 2019, 12:19 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 12:10 am
I love the direction this thread is trending. For the record, you are all vastly inferior to me, so don’t get too excited about how much you know or have forgotten.

Finally, I feel bean and Taylor have gotten the proper wrath they deserve for playing decently. Let’s talk more about Cru. Why does he get a pass?
Good point Ben Lomond, but it's spelled Crew and I think he gets a pass because his dad is going to fund in full a new BBall arena. :)
Last edited by USUBlue on January 6th, 2019, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » January 6th, 2019, 12:21 am

Oh man, i'm a fool? dang you got me so good bro! I'll never be able to return to the forum to read your bullsh*t takes! I'd be too embarrassed!!!
USUBlue wrote:
sancho839 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 12:03 am
You love bashing USU and kids who give their all to this university. Thanks for nothing bro. I'd bet you've hurt this athletic department more than you've helped it. Your stubbornness is a stain.You're a fool Sancho!
USUBlue wrote:
sancho839 wrote:

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 6th, 2019, 12:35 am

Good Lord another I'm right your wrong thread. I thought maybe we wouldn't see one of these this year. Hey at least it took all the way to conference play to have one come up.

I'm just a causal fan. My basketball knowledge is far less than some on this board. But this I will say:

Bean, among other players, play their asses off for their team and school. Tonight's game was fun as hell. Bean definitely deserved the extra cheers he received tonight. Now I'm no expert, but that says a ton about his performance. I'm not going to bag on a player for one boneheaded turnover trying to get fancy. Not like it was something that gave the lead away. It happens. It's apart of having fun playing. There is ton of talk about the talent level in this team and everyone knows there needs to be more. To one is disputing that fact. But what we haven't seen yet is how Coach develops players. Talent is not a given at birth, it's developed. It's why I love college sports. I love seeing some players develop their game and become better players. Duryea couldn't develope players and that is the biggest reason he was let go.

Sometimes fans need to "stop and smell the flowers" when a player, who normally don't play well or much comes in and has a decent game. You can lose so much enjoyment when your constantly looking at the bigger picture. That's not so say you shouldn't never look at the bigger picture but at least enjoy the little moments.

With that said, I thought Bean, Taylor, and Miller played well tonight. It didn't feel like the game was totally on Sam's shoulers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 6th, 2019, 12:43 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:50 pm
sancho839 wrote:Wow USUBlue sucks. Probably part of the nation's worst generation ever that just complains about everything all the time without appreciating what's happening. It's a coach in his first year at USU exceeding literally every expectation that anyone had this season, and this guy's only talking point is...... a walk on rebounds pretty well? What a loser.
No. He provides a valuable service. It’s important for the players and their family and friends to know that they suck and that we don’t want them here. You hear that Mr and Mrs Bean!?!

Wow, Jonny. Read better. Never said the role players Suck. They are just role players and have limitations in their talent and respective games. Nothing shocking there; and I don't post for the players or their families. I post what I see, what I like and what I don't like about what happens on the court. I don't get into personal issues, just the game. You should do the same.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 6th, 2019, 1:05 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:00 pm
I have always felt it worthwhile and satisfying to demean and belittle our own players publicly.

seems to be the thing to do these days....

I must be getting old. This BS is so tiring and really saps the enjoyment I used to get from interacting with other fans on this board.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » January 6th, 2019, 8:20 am

Holy crap people! This thread sounds like a bunch of d-bags picking on the smart kid that wanted to sit at the back of the bus for a change. USUBlue adds a lot of valuable incite to this board, and is one of the only people that rarely sees through blue lenses. Doesn’t mean we have to always agree with him, or that he is always right.

Anyway, I really like Bean and hope he gets better at some things to earn more playing time, rebounding ability alone may help him in that category. Maybe it’s because I sat next to his family during an exhibition game or that we have the same initials and even same first name... But I like the kid.

Where only sage brush grows

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 6th, 2019, 9:08 am

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...

I think everyone can see the flaws in this team, but is there a need to continually shred the players on our team? Call it out fine, but when there are twenty posts ripping a single player then it does seem to cross the line. For example the threads about Ainge and now Bean.

This team has overachieved so far this season it is unbelievable. I thought a winning season was out of reach and we were picked 9th. Something is going right for us to be where we are. It is fair to say we need major upgrades next season at 3 positions and then we need depth at all 5.

I'm in the camp off playing it where it lies, letting the chips fall where they may, playing the hand we're dealt and then seeing what Smith can do recruiting wise.

Can he go get more Queta type players or are we going to raid the recruiting classes is Summit League teams?

I think we can discuss the weaknesses without shredding the kids who are giving their blood and sweat to be the best they can be...even if it didn't meet your standard. This thread should be a glaring reminder we can all do a little better.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 6th, 2019, 9:15 am

dyedblue wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:08 am

I think everyone can see the flaws in this team, but is there a need to continually shred the players on our team? Call it out fine, but when there are twenty posts ripping a single player then it does seem to cross the line. For example the threads about Ainge and now Bean.

This team has overachieved so far this season it is unbelievable. I thought a winning season was out of reach and we were picked 9th. Something is going right for us to be where we are. It is fair to say we need major upgrades next season at 3 positions and then we need depth at all 5.

I'm in the camp off playing it where it lies, letting the chips fall where they may, playing the hand we're dealt and then seeing what Smith can do recruiting wise.

Can he go get more Queta type players or are we going to raid the recruiting classes is Summit League teams?

I think we can discuss the weaknesses without shredding the kids who are giving their blood and sweat to be the best they can be...even if it didn't meet your standard. This thread should be a glaring reminder we can all do a little better.

Actually I agree with you Dyed. Now go back and find out where I shredded any player; I discuss the game, the coaches and players. Bean is a role player that has a Dennis Rodman-like desire to rebound. He is not an all-around player that you could run plays through. I like Bean for what he does, but I'm not confused by the "social media" walkon of the year love. As for Taylor, a good all-around player. He is starting because he's the best we have at the 4. We need better if we are going to be at the top of the MWC. Ainge is a basketball junkie. Got to love kids like that, but he doesn't have the size, speed, or shooting to be a starter in the MWC.

All these guys are playing hard and together; and are playing good defense. They play on-ball defense better than they ever did under Duryea, and the way they close the driving lanes with help and yet work to get back to shooters shows great coaching and effort. I'm impressed with what they've done. As an Aggie fan, I also hope we have better players next year and that Crew and Bean aren't needed to play more than 10 minutes a game.
Last edited by USUBlue on January 6th, 2019, 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » January 6th, 2019, 9:27 am

I think both arguments are correct. Bean and Taylor have earned playing time. Both players have limitations and ideally should be playing around 10 minutes a game. Bean still has a chance to improve his all around game and garner more playing time in the next few years. I also agree that we should hope to see better players come in. If the program is going to get where we want it to get a player of Taylor’s ability should be as a role player and not a starter. That doesn’t mean the kid hasn’t given his all for the program and hasn’t helped this year’s team exceed expectations.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 6th, 2019, 9:31 am

brian5562 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:27 am
I think both arguments are correct. Bean and Taylor have earned playing time. Both players have limitations and ideally should be playing around 10 minutes a game. Bean still has a chance to improve his all around game and garner more playing time in the next few years. I also agree that we should hope to see better players come in. If the program is going to get where we want it to get a player of Taylor’s ability should be as a role player and not a starter. That doesn’t mean the kid hasn’t given his all for the program and hasn’t helped this year’s team exceed expectations.
Perfectly said.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 6th, 2019, 9:56 am

USUBlue wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:15 am
dyedblue wrote:

Actually I agree with you Dyed. Now go back and find out where I shredded any player; I discuss the game, the coaches and players. Bean is a role player that has a Dennis Rodman-like desire to rebound. He is not an all-around player that you could run plays through. I like Bean for what he does, but I'm not confused by the "social media" walkon of the year love. As for Taylor, a good all-around player. He is starting because he's the best we have at the 4. We need better if we are going to be at the top of the MWC. Ainge is a basketball junkie. Got to love kids like that, but he doesn't have the size, speed, or shooting to be a starter in the MWC.

All these guys are playing hard and together; and are playing good defense. They play on-ball defense better than they ever did under Duryea, and the way they close the driving lanes with help and yet work to get back to shooters shows great coaching and effort. I'm impressed with what they've done. As an Aggie fan, I also hope we have better players next year and that Crew and Bean aren't needed to play more than 10 minutes a game.
I agree with everything you wrote in this latest post. Especially the part about Bean being the walkon of the year. I never knew that was an official thing, but he's definitely the best walkon that we have this year. Good call.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 6th, 2019, 10:01 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:56 am
USUBlue wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:15 am
dyedblue wrote:

I agree with everything you wrote in this latest post. Especially the part about Bean being the walkon of the year. I never knew that was an official thing, but he's definitely the best walkon that we have this year. Good call.
You misread Sap. I didn't give Bean the "walkon of the year" award; I gave him the "social media" walkon of the year. Big difference. I don't want to limit Abel's chances this early in the season and he's getting more minutes than Bean.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 6th, 2019, 10:24 am

USUBlue wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 12:19 am

Good point Ben Lomond, but it's spelled Crew and I think he gets a pass because his dad is going to fund in full a new BBall arena. :)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.celebr ... h/%3famp=1
According to the website above, Danny ainge has a net worth of $10M. That’s a good chunk of money, but certainly not enough that he would fund a basketball arena. I would imagine there are a good number of alumni with a $10M net worth. I know at least a few personally. But who knows if that website is even reliable. $10M seems low based on his career.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 6th, 2019, 10:38 am

January 6th, 2019, 10:24 am
USUBlue wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 12:19 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.celebr ... h/%3famp=1
According to the website above, Danny ainge has a net worth of $10M. That’s a good chunk of money, but certainly not enough that he would fund a basketball arena. I would imagine there are a good number of alumni with a $10M net worth. I know at least a few personally. But who knows if that website is even reliable. $10M seems low based on his career.
Dang you mean we've been giving Ainge a pass for nothing :stirpot: You know Ben Lomond, one of my favorite Aggie players of all time (a guy named Youngblood) played at BL; he had all the skills and that night against UNLV was an epic thing of beauty. Maybe we could hit him up for the money that Ainge is short on that new arena?

Locked Previous topicNext topic