A Renewed Appreciation for the Fast Pace

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JSHarvey

A Renewed Appreciation for the Fast Pace

Post by JSHarvey » January 7th, 2019, 9:25 pm

I'm watching a few minutes here and there of the National Title Game and man talk about boring. It really demonstrates just how slow a game can go!

Also seeing Alabama get creamed is somewhat fun, it seems they thought they should win just for showing up!

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Re: A Renewed Appreciation for the Fast Pace

Post by bigblue » January 7th, 2019, 9:32 pm

That receiver for Clemson making those one-handed circus catches has been pretty entertaining.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » January 7th, 2019, 9:48 pm

bigblue wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 9:32 pm
That receiver for Clemson making those one-handed circus catches has been pretty entertaining.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
He had some insane grabs!

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 7th, 2019, 10:16 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 9:25 pm
I'm watching a few minutes here and there of the National Title Game and man talk about boring. It really demonstrates just how slow a game can go!

Also seeing Alabama get creamed is somewhat fun, it seems they thought they should win just for showing up!
Clemson runs the spread and often goes just as fast as Yost. The second half slowed down considerably as Clemson slowed it down on purpose to eat clock.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 7th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Wow. I didn’t find that game to be boring at all. Lawrence was incredible and Ball made some insane catches. I wasn’t excited to watch the game but I thought it was highly entertaining.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 7th, 2019, 10:53 pm

One thing about the fast pace that is easy to forget with it being effective for us this year is that it only works if you get first downs. It just puts the defense back on the field quicker if it doesn't work. Like it is more harmful to go three and out, or even punt after one or two first downs in the fast pace offense than it otherwise is.

It's easy to watch a game as a neutral party and like the fast pace offense to see either the play or at least the incomplete pass and punt quicker with less dead time, but it's different if it's OUR defense that has to go back on the field quick after a three and out.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 8th, 2019, 7:34 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 10:53 pm
One thing about the fast pace that is easy to forget with it being effective for us this year is that it only works if you get first downs. It just puts the defense back on the field quicker if it doesn't work. Like it is more harmful to go three and out, or even punt after one or two first downs in the fast pace offense than it otherwise is.

It's easy to watch a game as a neutral party and like the fast pace offense to see either the play or at least the incomplete pass and punt quicker with less dead time, but it's different if it's OUR defense that has to go back on the field quick after a three and out.
Is there empirical evidence to suggest that a defense is more likely to give up points when they have been off the field for less time? I doubt you can find it, considering that field position is much more likely to be the number one factor for a defense's ability to prevent points.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 8th, 2019, 9:36 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 7:34 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Is there empirical evidence to suggest that a defense is more likely to give up points when they have been off the field for less time? I doubt you can find it, considering that field position is much more likely to be the number one factor for a defense's ability to prevent points.
You are probably correct that overall field position is the most consistent factor of whether a defense gives up points. However, it is also likely true that an up-tempo offense keeping its defense on the field longer due to not advancing down the field works against the defense later in the game and that defense surrenders more points later in the game.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 8th, 2019, 10:33 am

bwcrc wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:36 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 7:34 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

You are probably correct that overall field position is the most consistent factor of whether a defense gives up points. However, it is also likely true that an up-tempo offense keeping its defense on the field longer due to not advancing down the field works against the defense later in the game and that defense surrenders more points later in the game.
I think there are too many factors to even draw that conclusion. One thing we know is that, aside from triple option teams, there is an optimal number of snaps per offensive possession. Most teams are more likely to make a critical mistake (fumble, interception, sack, etc.) if they stay on the field too long. Depth is also a consideration. If you have more talent on your bench defensively than your opponent does offensively, let the defense play. If anything, it will result in more turnovers and success for your team (sound familiar?).

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Locked Previous topicNext topic