John Knight III

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: John Knight III

Post by NVAggie » January 8th, 2019, 9:42 am

Let's just create a major that all the dumb athletes can take. They won't have to go to class or anything. We can just give them good grades and they can focus on the ATHLETE side of STUDENT-ATHLETE.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 8th, 2019, 9:48 am

ChicAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:40 am
brownjeans wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Honestly, if we have to have someone to hand-hold a player to that extent, that player better be the next Shaquille O'Neal. If he's not the next Shaq, find a new player.
It's hard to disagree with that, but the Ags will never have the next Shaq. Nor does it seem that there should be different treatment for any player regardless of talent.

It may be completely naive of me to believe this, but it does seem possible to construct a system with no cracks to fall through -- without violating NCAA or school policies on students performing their own work. Again, that may be naive, and I may be entirely wrong, but it seems possible.

That said, it would be interesting to know in this case exactly what steps the tutors and babysitters took to ensure JKIII was on top of things and whether there was anything different they could have done. It shouldn't have to happen, but apparently with JKIII extreme babysitting and hand-holding measures were necessary. Let me say that again:
Not just babysitting and hand-holding. EXTREME babysitting and EXTREME hand-holding. :)
You can try to make something idiot-proof, but they're always making better idiots.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 8th, 2019, 9:49 am

brownjeans wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:48 am
You can try to make something idiot-proof, but they're always making better idiots.
Touché.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Donald_Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Post by Donald_Sullivan » January 8th, 2019, 10:13 am

bluegrouse wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:19 am
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 7:35 am
Not a problem. It's still early enough to find a JC transfer better than Knight III.
Not for this year.....
No, not for this year, for the spring signing period for next year's roster. He's looking for another D1 school to transfer to this semester. So it could be that he didn't want to be here and didn't want to do the academics, not that he couldn't or that he fell through the cracks. He was an ok player, but not a player that can't be replaced with someone better, and not a player that should be missed.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 8th, 2019, 10:16 am

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:13 am
bluegrouse wrote:
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
Not a problem. It's still early enough to find a JC transfer better than Knight III.
Not for this year.....
No, not for this year, for the spring signing period for next year's roster. He's looking for another D1 school to transfer to this semester. So it could be that he didn't want to be here and didn't want to do the academics, not that he couldn't or that he fell through the cracks. He was an ok player, but not a player that can't be replaced with someone better, and not a player that should be missed.
I believe he's actually going to end up back at the same JuCo that he left when he enrolled here and attempt to graduate so that he doesn't have to miss any time next season.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » January 9th, 2019, 3:25 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:42 am
Let's just create a major that all the dumb athletes can take. They won't have to go to class or anything. We can just give them good grades and they can focus on the ATHLETE side of STUDENT-ATHLETE.
Like the honorable University of North Carolina?

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 9th, 2019, 12:06 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:40 am
brownjeans wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Honestly, if we have to have someone to hand-hold a player to that extent, that player better be the next Shaquille O'Neal. If he's not the next Shaq, find a new player.
It's hard to disagree with that, but the Ags will never have the next Shaq. Nor does it seem that there should be different treatment for any player regardless of talent.

It may be completely naive of me to believe this, but it does seem possible to construct a system with no cracks to fall through -- without violating NCAA or school policies on students performing their own work. Again, that may be naive, and I may be entirely wrong, but it seems possible.

That said, it would be interesting to know in this case exactly what steps the tutors and babysitters took to ensure JKIII was on top of things and whether there was anything different they could have done. It shouldn't have to happen, but apparently with JKIII extreme babysitting and hand-holding measures were necessary. Let me say that again:
Not just babysitting and hand-holding. EXTREME babysitting and EXTREME hand-holding. :)
Sorry to say this but I think it is naive. (If it is true that he is leaving because he failed out it is not because USU didn't try very hard to help him.) However, it is against NCAA policy, and a violation of University policy for anyone to do the work for a student. USU has extensive tutoring available, USU tracks academic performance (the coaches knew he would be ineligible), the university will spend extensive time trying to put together a schedule that works for the student, the University provides mentors, and the University would have contacted him repeatedly at the first signs of trouble. My guess is those contacts started getting very insistent after about two weeks of class in this case. My son worked for the USU athletic department in their academic services section to help pay his way through college. The help that is available to student athletes is comprehensive and extensive.

A student athlete at USU can excel academically and earn a relevant sought after degree (we have had several engineering graduates for example), or they can coast through and get a token degree, or anything in between. But in any event if they are capable of very basic reading, writing, and mathematical tasks they are capable of graduating with the help they will be given.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 9th, 2019, 12:15 pm

You may be right, Harvey, but I am just hoping the athletics department and the academic services section are asking themselves whether there is anything they could have done differently. Perhaps there is not, but systems can almost always be improved.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 9th, 2019, 1:10 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 12:15 pm
You may be right, Harvey, but I am just hoping the athletics department and the academic services section are asking themselves whether there is anything they could have done differently. Perhaps there is not, but systems can almost always be improved.
I promise you, short of doing the work for him. There is absolutely nothing that could have been done. I'm not sure what JK3 thought was going to happen to him?

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 9th, 2019, 1:33 pm

That is just sad. I wonder if JKIII was such a star in HS that he always got a pass and never got used to carrying his own water academically.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 9th, 2019, 3:38 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 12:15 pm
I agree, improvement is almost always possible.

And I should note that what I "know" is second hand and a little dated - however, the description I heard of what was available and what was done (from my son a few year's back) showed a lot of attention and effort was being spent of the academic side of the equation.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » January 9th, 2019, 5:11 pm

I think the university probably does a great job, look at the graduation rate of the football team. So one department has it figured out, and i think they all probably do.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 9th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Good point, tipitup.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » January 9th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Dude was sitting in the stands tonight, eating some nachos just a few rows ahead of where I was. We could’ve used his defense out there.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 9th, 2019, 10:25 pm

He still cares about the team and shows how high his character is. It sucks to see him go. I was over in section S and watched him a little bit though the game. You can tell it was very humbling for him. Will probably make him become a better man and learn from his mistakes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 9th, 2019, 10:43 pm

I spoke to him after the game. He was disappointed he was leaving and was sad that we lost. He was talking about the game and still cared. Seemed like a high character guy. Don’t know the full story but I hope things work out for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » January 9th, 2019, 10:54 pm

The fact he was at the game says a lot about how much he still cares about the team. Hopefully he gets things figured out for his next go round, wherever that is.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

SectionFaggie

Post by SectionFaggie » January 10th, 2019, 8:55 pm

I have never met JKIII, but I do know that his HS is not Logan High or Skyview, etc. His town and his high school are tough, tough places for kids. One district HS, not his, had a driveby in the parking lot a couple years ago. Killed a sophomore girl. Not a great school environment. His school faces similar issues every day. There are a great number of great kids in his school and the others in his district. It is just a shame that the district has huge poverty and its city has the third highest murder rate of any city in the country. This makes it really hard to prepare for and transition to college life, whether it be to the local universities or one 1800 miles away. I was very excited to have a "local" Aggie to follow and pray now that he has continued support that helps him land on his feet.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » January 11th, 2019, 9:59 am

NVAggie wrote:
I thought that's what Interdisciplinary Studies was for...

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » January 11th, 2019, 10:44 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I thought that's what Interdisciplinary Studies was for...
That was my exact thought. Used to be the main degree you would hear announced during senior day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 11th, 2019, 1:22 pm

SectionFaggie wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 8:55 pm
I have never met JKIII, but I do know that his HS is not Logan High or Skyview, etc. His town and his high school are tough, tough places for kids. One district HS, not his, had a driveby in the parking lot a couple years ago. Killed a sophomore girl. Not a great school environment. His school faces similar issues every day. There are a great number of great kids in his school and the others in his district. It is just a shame that the district has huge poverty and its city has the third highest murder rate of any city in the country. This makes it really hard to prepare for and transition to college life, whether it be to the local universities or one 1800 miles away. I was very excited to have a "local" Aggie to follow and pray now that he has continued support that helps him land on his feet.
Actually, there was a random shooting in the parking lot of JK3's HS (Calloway HS in Jackson, MS) in September, 2017. The victim was treated and released at the local hospital. According to reports, the victim was not a student at the school, and the shooting appeared to be random gunfire unrelated to any school activities or altercations.

BTW, SectionFaggie, am I meant to read your name "Section F Aggie" or "Section Faggie?" Either way is fine and I am absolutely not making any judgments. Just want to know how to pronounce it in my head. Thanks!!

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » January 16th, 2019, 5:09 pm

[url][
John knight to suu????? Wtf?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 16th, 2019, 5:17 pm

GordoAggie wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 5:09 pm
[url][
His hair fits the color scheme.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 16th, 2019, 5:29 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 5:17 pm
GordoAggie wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 5:09 pm
[url][
His hair fits the color scheme.
Apparently he doesn’t have anything against small rural Utah cities.

I’m guessing he also considered Eastern Washington, Dixie State, and BYU-Hawaii

Donald_Sullivan

Post by Donald_Sullivan » January 16th, 2019, 6:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:16 am
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
Not for this year.....
I believe he's actually going to end up back at the same JuCo that he left when he enrolled here and attempt to graduate so that he doesn't have to miss any time next season.
It always seemed that this was never about Knight not being able to handle the academics at USU. Knight was a full qualifier out of HS and had no academic problems his one year in JC. If he didn't do them, it was because he didn't want to. Because he didn't feel the basketball program was a good fit and didn't want to be here. It looks like he was able to transfer directly to SUU without a stop at a JC.

He was an ok player. A great athlete with a limited skill set. A decent signing considering the situation Smith was in, but we can find a better player to fill that scholarship for next season. SUU is a better level for him, so it's good for him also.

The Truth

Post by The Truth » January 16th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 6:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
Not for this year.....
It always seemed that this was never about Knight not being able to handle the academics at USU. Knight was a full qualifier out of HS and had no academic problems his one year in JC. If he didn't do them, it was because he didn't want to. Because he didn't feel the basketball program was a good fit and didn't want to be here. It looks like he was able to transfer directly to SUU without a stop at a JC.

He was an ok player. A great athlete with a limited skill set. A decent signing considering the situation Smith was in, but we can find a better player to fill that scholarship for next season. SUU is a better level for him, so it's good for him also.
but the skill set he did have was one not many others on this team have and he was an important part of the potential this Aggie team had at one point in the season. if you think SUU is a "better level" for JK3 then where does 70% of our roster belong? yikes.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 16th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I'm a bit surprised to say the least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 17th, 2019, 5:59 am

I think JK3 staying in-state surprised everyone.

Donald_Sullivan

Post by Donald_Sullivan » January 17th, 2019, 9:00 am

The Truth wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 6:31 pm
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 6:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Donald_Sullivan wrote:
Not for this year.....

but the skill set he did have was one not many others on this team have and he was an important part of the potential this Aggie team had at one point in the season. if you think SUU is a "better level" for JK3 then where does 70% of our roster belong? yikes.
I think 70% of the roster is Big West/Big Sky level. That doesn't mean I'm not pleasantly surprised by how well they're doing.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » January 17th, 2019, 10:56 am

It's true we are short on talent this year. This typically happens when there is a change in coaching. To Coach Smith's credit, he has taken the crew he was dealt and has done very well in getting them to play and produce together. We have a really good shot at playing in the NIT this year. I think.

As for JKIII, he wants a school that will feature him. While he is athletic, he's not a good enough of a shooter to be a feature player. He can drive and do some things with the ball. But a Sam Merrill-like shooter he is not. I'm not sure he is even as good a shooter as Koby McEwen was. But he could drive and dunk, that's for sure.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 17th, 2019, 11:05 am

JK3 isn't in the same universe as Koby McEwon. I liked some of his game, but he had no game in the classroom.

Locked Previous topicNext topic