More pressure for Matt Wells at TT

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

More pressure for Matt Wells at TT

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 8th, 2019, 1:11 pm

The guy Texas Tech fired, their former star quarterback Kliff Kingsbury, is about to become the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

Fans were already mad Texas Tech fired him to hire Matt Wells. But man, if Wells struggles and Kingsbury does well for the Cardinals, things could get pretty nasty in Lubbock. That's a lot of pressure for Wells.

FloridaAggie13

Re: More pressure for Matt Wells at TT

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 8th, 2019, 1:15 pm

That's a tough position to be in as TT is always going to be at least third fiddle in the state. When Mahomes was there I used to look for them on the tv schedule because they were so fun to watch. I though KK did a good job and it was a mistake to fire him. If Wells is smart he'll funnel half of his paycheck to Yost to keep him there.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 8th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Texas Tech is really good at firing good coaches. Not sure how they do with mediocre or bad coaches. Maybe time will tell. We'll see how Matt does there. I think he'll continue to succeed if he can keep good coordinators and assistants around him.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 8th, 2019, 1:29 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 1:15 pm
That's a tough position to be in as TT is always going to be at least third fiddle in the state. When Mahomes was there I used to look for them on the tv schedule because they were so fun to watch. I though KK did a good job and it was a mistake to fire him. If Wells is smart he'll funnel half of his paycheck to Yost to keep him there.
Tech in reality would be happy to be third fiddle in their best years. I would say that Baylor and TCU have surpassed them in both alumni support and media attention, so Tech would have to be much better than those programs to earn third spot. The two top spots are pretty well spoken for until the end of football.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

garyismyhomeboy
Has thanked: 0

Post by garyismyhomeboy » January 8th, 2019, 1:40 pm

The NFL is desperate for another Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. Young, sleek and offensive minded coach.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » January 8th, 2019, 1:52 pm

SOOOOOO what you're saying is Matt Wells is destined for NFL coach?? oh boy :puke:
As long as it aint the Cowboys, we're already bad enough and I might un-fan them

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » January 8th, 2019, 2:06 pm

I don't think that this puts more pressure on MW, and even if it does, he still has $16MM+ reasons to console himself about his decision. And it's not like Kliff was tearing it up at TT, he was 35-40 during his time there. Maybe he will be a better coach in the NFL, especially since he doesn't have to try and get kids to come play in Lubbock.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 8th, 2019, 2:17 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 1:29 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 1:15 pm
Tech in reality would be happy to be third fiddle in their best years. I would say that Baylor and TCU have surpassed them in both alumni support and media attention, so Tech would have to be much better than those programs to earn third spot. The two top spots are pretty well spoken for until the end of football.
I would agree; the problem is now compounded by replacing a popular and a relatively effective coach and former start player with an outsider. Others may say KK wasn't a good coach per his record, but considering they are third fiddle - at best - in the state playing a brutal schedule every year, I think .500 every year with exciting offenses and a bowl game is a job pretty well done. They aren't going to out recruit Texas and Texas A&M and as you say, they have lost ground to Baylor and TCU and Houston is up and coming. Not to mention OU and OSU in their backyard.

Full

Post by Full » January 8th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Can I say I want him to get fired so he can coach an NFL team. Just Kidding. Lane Kiffin returns.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 8th, 2019, 3:46 pm

It the State of Texas and the game is football. There will always be pressure on Matt Wells and the boys. Also, there is no way they are third in the pecking order in Texas. I would put them somewhere between 7 and 10.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » January 8th, 2019, 4:02 pm

taniataylor wrote:SOOOOOO what you're saying is Matt Wells is destined for NFL coach?? oh boy :puke:
As long as it aint the Cowboys, we're already bad enough and I might un-fan them
Hey we won a playoff game. Let's wait and see how this weekend goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » January 8th, 2019, 4:07 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 4:02 pm
taniataylor wrote:SOOOOOO what you're saying is Matt Wells is destined for NFL coach?? oh boy :puke:
Hey we won a playoff game. Let's wait and see how this weekend goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know I have an opportunity to get row 36 in the end zone for $350....Im sooooooo arguing with myself about getting 2 tickets... :crazy:

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 8th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Excluding Kansas, KK was 16-40 against P5 schools at TT.

He went 5-7 with Mahomes as his QB and ran Baker Mayfield out of the program to start Davis Webb.

And he got an NFL head coaching job out of that.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 8th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Kliff Kingsbury never had a winning big 12 season at Tech and finished with 3 straight losing seasons. There will be pressure for Wells to win as there is pressure for all coaches, but it wasn't like Kingsbury had success there. He is following a losing coach and if he wins, he'll be fine.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 9th, 2019, 6:11 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 3:46 pm
It the State of Texas and the game is football. There will always be pressure on Matt Wells and the boys. Also, there is no way they are third in the pecking order in Texas. I would put them somewhere between 7 and 10.
In regards to in-state schools, they are likely 6th or 7th. You are correct that, at best, they are actually probably the 10th most important football program for Texans (more OU and LSU fans for sure, and then OkSt and Arkansas are legitimately in the conversation as more important programs).

For recruits, that list is even worse. Top kids in Texas are more likely to go to UT, TAMU, Baylor, TCU, OU, OSU, LSU, Bama, Ohio State, Arkansas, and Houston (list is probably longer than this) than they are to go to Tech.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Locked Previous topicNext topic