Merrill and Queta

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MetsJetsAggies

Merrill and Queta

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 9th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Great players, sure, but I really hope Smith recruits over them and brings in even BETTER players. I mean Sam didn't even have that many offers out of HS

1st team all-MWC isn't good enough for me, we need 1st team all Americans all up and down the bench

MetsJetsAggies

Re: Merrill and Queta

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 9th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Also they both missed a FT in the 1st half

Usurossco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » January 9th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Kind of a uneducated post. You probably thought Koby was good to huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 9th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Usurossco wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 7:59 pm
Kind of a uneducated post. You probably thought Koby was good to huh?

Needed to recruit over him

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 9th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Need to recruit over some of our fans also.

Mikeaggies

Post by Mikeaggies » January 9th, 2019, 10:28 pm

WAAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 10:13 pm
Need to recruit over some of our fans also.
This is a must.

aggieup15

Post by aggieup15 » January 9th, 2019, 10:58 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:Great players, sure, but I really hope Smith recruits over them and brings in even BETTER players. I mean Sam didn't even have that many offers out of HS

1st team all-MWC isn't good enough for me, we need 1st team all Americans all up and down the bench
Lololol agreed

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » January 9th, 2019, 11:40 pm

I think the number of wins totally support my point. Koby = 15 wins

Current players that “should be recruited over” = 24 wins plus swallow that Jerk.

Support the guys who are playing hard for us now or go back to BYU where you belong.

Recruit over? It just shows your lack of understanding.

aggieup15

Post by aggieup15 » January 9th, 2019, 11:43 pm

Usurossco wrote:I think the number of wins totally support my point. Koby = 15 wins

Current players that “should be recruited over” = 24 wins plus swallow that Jerk.

Support the guys who are playing hard for us now or go back to BYU where you belong.

I think Metsjetsaggie was just joking. Obviously they are our teams stars and very talented.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 10th, 2019, 12:07 am

Usurossco wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 11:40 pm

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » January 10th, 2019, 12:14 am

Usurossco wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 11:40 pm

There is definitely a lack of understanding going on here.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 10th, 2019, 12:30 am

Looks like some people missed out on USUBlue’s posts the last few days.

I envy them.

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » January 10th, 2019, 5:17 am

He mentioned two of our great players by name and said what he said. A joke like that should never be said on this forum. If you want to joke about possibly the two best players we may ever have say you are just joking if not the world will will assume you say it as you see it.

I thought for sure I was reading the cougar board this is exactly how it reads. Nobody is ever good enough and people’s points are said to be jokes when they are called out.

Hint: players and perspective players read this stuff. Let alone real fans that would like to read real posts.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 10th, 2019, 6:25 am

We should always be trying to recruit over everyone. With that said, it would be difficult to find five guys better than those two.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 10th, 2019, 8:19 am

I thought it was amusing. I'm afraid you're a 1-percenter on this one, Rossco. Obvious joke to the rest of us. Check your sarcasm meter and lighten up.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » January 10th, 2019, 8:54 am

It was said as his point of view and fact people got mad and told me to check it out. I think it was the stupidest thing I have ever read in my life.

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » January 10th, 2019, 9:14 am

Go home, you are drunk.

We have essentially three walk-on's contributing and a big question mark at PG. We are overachieving this year.

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » January 10th, 2019, 9:19 am

Calling our two best players not good enough and I am drunk? Ok now it makes more sense. Somebody got into the 100 proof and now pretends it was a joke.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 10th, 2019, 9:35 am

They aren't pretending that it is a joke. It was always meant as a joke. Your overreaction may be the real joke.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 10th, 2019, 9:52 am

Aggies.

Acting like this.

My father and his teammates from the post war bowl teams, who were truly lifelong friends, would weep over the jerkiness.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 10th, 2019, 10:02 am

Usurossco wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 8:54 am
It was said as his point of view . . . .
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Riddle me this, Rossco: You really think any living Aggie fan is stupid enough to believe we can recruit 1st Team All Americans up and down the bench? You're either drunk or literally have zero understanding of sarcasm.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 10th, 2019, 10:05 am

ChicAggie wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 10:02 am
Usurossco wrote:
It was said as his point of view . . . .
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Riddle me this, Rossco: You really think any living Aggie fan is stupid enough to believe we can recruit 1st Team All Americans up and down the bench? You're either drunk or literally have zero understanding of sarcasm.
Literally.

Nobody here knows anything.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 10th, 2019, 10:09 am

The sarcasm/joke was obvious, especially for anyone following the Bean/Taylor walkon topic or those familiar with MJA’s general perspective from his past comments.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » January 10th, 2019, 10:55 am

Merrill just needs to work on his perimeter defense, especially when your team is down 2 points and guarding the hottest player on the court who has scored 7 threes and 22 second half points, any skilled defender should know to overplay that player and force the pass or the drive, definitely not sit back 5 feet and let the best player on the court have all the room he needs for the dagger... but other than that I think he's a great player for us.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 10th, 2019, 11:02 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 10:55 am
Merrill just needs to work on his perimeter defense, especially when your team is down 2 points and guarding the hottest player on the court who has scored 7 threes and 22 second half points, any skilled defender should know to overplay that player and force the pass or the drive, definitely not sit back 5 feet and let the best player on the court have all the room he needs for the dagger... but other than that I think he's a great player for us.
That is true enough -- he should have had hands all over him (pre-shot) and overplay his right hand.

With that said, I saw an analysis done that everytime you can get someone to change direction dribbling the basketball, it costs .8 seconds. I think if I had to re-coach the last 5.5 seconds of the game; I would have had Sam simply go Straight at the basket without changing direction, or hands he was dribbling with, and either make a defender foul by trying to get in the way (make the ref make a decision) and give Sam the advantage of getting fouled on the shot. Certainly Sam can run the entire court in less than 5.5 seconds.

ususports

Post by ususports » January 10th, 2019, 12:06 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:02 am
That is true enough -- he should have had hands all over him (pre-shot) and overplay his right hand.

With that said, I saw an analysis done that everytime you can get someone to change direction dribbling the basketball, it costs .8 seconds. I think if I had to re-coach the last 5.5 seconds of the game; I would have had Sam simply go Straight at the basket without changing direction, or hands he was dribbling with, and either make a defender foul by trying to get in the way (make the ref make a decision) and give Sam the advantage of getting fouled on the shot. Certainly Sam can run the entire court in less than 5.5 seconds.
Absolutely agree. We were only down by one point, so taking an off balance 3 point shot on the run (coming out of a timeout) seemed like a stupid call. Still love the effort this team plays with though.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 10th, 2019, 12:09 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:02 am
aggiesdotcom wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 10:55 am

I have no idea what the final play was supposed to look like (coach Smith tried to explain it in the post game), but I too have a hard time thinking that an off balance fade away 3 was the best shot we could have gotten with over 5 sec. left. I think this is yet another circumstance where not having a decent PG on the team came back to bite us. We've seen PG's in tourney games go from end to end for a winning layup in a little over 3 seconds before. The problem was having to rely on Sam to catch the inbound, bring it up the court, and get a shot off. It would be nice to see a PG take the ball, go straight to the hoop and either kick out to a shooter like Merrill or draw the foul in the lane. We really didn't attack them or force them to play defense on that possession, instead we played into their hands.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 10th, 2019, 1:49 pm

You can pass the ball much faster than dribble it. That's why you space players out and set picks and have them moving around. You can pass the ball up the court very quickly and have time for a good shot. Leaving it all to one player works sometimes, but it takes much more time and the other team is usually focused on that player. Especially when it's your star.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 10th, 2019, 1:54 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:49 pm
You can pass the ball much faster than dribble it. That's why you space players out and set picks and have them moving around. You can pass the ball up the court very quickly and have time for a good shot. Leaving it all to one player works sometimes, but it takes much more time and the other team is usually focused on that player. Especially when it's your star.
Yup, I was surprised Smith had Sam bring it up. I would have thought that getting the ball to Abel as close to half court as possible using Sam and Miller as decoys on the inbounds. Then let Abel attack the basket ready to kick or dish. Oh well, it sucked losing.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 10th, 2019, 2:05 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:54 pm
treesap32 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:49 pm
Yup, I was surprised Smith had Sam bring it up. I would have thought that getting the ball to Abel as close to half court as possible using Sam and Miller as decoys on the inbounds. Then let Abel attack the basket ready to kick or dish. Oh well, it sucked losing.
I too was surprised. It's good to have your best player get the last shot off, but Sam wasn't able to shake a defender and the shot appeared to be partially blocked. I expected a pass upcourt to players that would've/should've already been down there ready to score.

Locked Previous topicNext topic