Neemi: Shot Blocking & Scoring Efficiency

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

Neemi: Shot Blocking & Scoring Efficiency

Post by treesap32 » January 13th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Neemias Queta may well be the best shot blocker and the most efficient scorer (FG%) we have ever had. He is currently leading the record books in both categories and it's not even close. He will easily lead every shot blocking category (both career and single season) if he sticks around a minimum of two years. Yes, he's on track to be #1 all-time at USU in career blocks in less than two years.

http://www.usustats.com/players/Neemias+Queta

This kid is special. I don't remember ever seeing someone in an Aggie uniform doing what he can do on the defensive end. And his scoring efficiency is great. He's got moves that work and doesn't miss from close range. We need to get him the ball more.

slcagg

Re: Neemi: Shot Blocking & Scoring Efficiency

Post by slcagg » January 13th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Feed Neemias. Neither Fresno nor Wyoming had an answer for him when we went to him.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » January 13th, 2019, 9:21 pm

His finish on Brito’s ally oop against Wyoming was a thing of beauty.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

dogie

Post by dogie » January 13th, 2019, 10:18 pm

He almost had a steal last night out beyond the three point line. One of these games, he is going to get a breakaway drive and dunk.

Also, I mentioned this on another thread, but Queta is leading all freshmen in total blocks and blocks per game.

Here are some other comments or questions directed to treesap or anyone else:

If the Aggies play three games after the end of the regular season (the Nevada home game), Merrill will finish the season between 7th and 9th in points scored in a season.

Merrill has not put up an elite 3-pt FG% this year, dropping from .464 last year to .382 this year. Any thoughts on the reasons?

Queta is averaging 8 rebounds per game. Has any Aggie player done this in the past 20 years?

ESPN has Queta at 71-for-105 this year (.676, #24 in the country), and I think they might be correct. Do you know why that differs from usustats.com?

If Merrill scores 20 points per game during the rest of his career, which seems likely, he will probably end up with between 2,150 and 2,200 points, which will put him second after only Jaycee Carroll and ahead of Grant and Estes.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 13th, 2019, 11:04 pm

dogie wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 10:18 pm
He almost had a steal last night out beyond the three point line. One of these games, he is going to get a breakaway drive and dunk.

Also, I mentioned this on another thread, but Queta is leading all freshmen in total blocks and blocks per game.

If the Aggies play three games after the end of the regular season (the Nevada home game), Merrill will finish the season between 7th and 9th in points scored in a season.

Merrill has not put up an elite 3-pt FG% this year, dropping from .464 last year to .382 this year. Any thoughts on the reasons?

Queta is averaging 8 rebounds per game. Has any Aggie player done this in the past 20 years?

ESPN has Queta at 71-for-105 this year (.676, #24 in the country), and I think they might be correct. Do you know why that differs from usustats.com?

If Merrill scores 20 points per game during the rest of his career, which seems likely, he will probably end up with between 2,150 and 2,200 points, which will put him second after only Jaycee Carroll and ahead of Grant and Estes.
I would imagine Merrill’s 3pt % is down because he’s literally being double teamed more than half the time, and is also defending the opponents best perimeter player.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 13th, 2019, 11:10 pm

And Merrill is playing too much point guard. Playing point guard takes away his ability to work without the ball and get better shots for himself.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » January 14th, 2019, 12:37 am

dogie wrote:

jared shaw averaged 8.4 and 8.5 in 2012-14 when he wasn't busy moving at the speed of weed
That guy who went to BYU averaged 7.6 or so
tai wesley averaged 8.0 RPG in his senior year.
jardine 7.0 his final full season
gary wilkinson aka big red aka cinna bear 7 RPG

gomretat

Post by gomretat » January 14th, 2019, 5:27 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 11:04 pm
dogie wrote:

I would imagine Merrill’s 3pt % is down because he’s literally being double teamed more than half the time, and is also defending the opponents best perimeter player.
Last year he had a running mate in the back court the got the best defender and was the focus of the oppositions defense. Makes a huge difference. Being the number 2 or number 3 option often creates much cleaner looks than being number 1.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 14th, 2019, 9:16 am

gomretat wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 5:27 am
dogie wrote:
Last year he had a running mate in the back court the got the best defender and was the focus of the oppositions defense. Makes a huge difference. Being the number 2 or number 3 option often creates much cleaner looks than being number 1.
I agree. Having no other wing player who needs to be closely guarded (Miller could develop into that guy) puts a ton of extra pressure on Merrill. No Koby means all of the perimeter defensive focus is on Merrill.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

feeah
Has thanked: 0

Post by feeah » January 14th, 2019, 10:48 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 8:16 pm
Neemias Queta may well be the best shot blocker and the most efficient scorer (FG%) we have ever had. He is currently leading the record books in both categories and it's not even close. He will easily lead every shot blocking category (both career and single season) if he sticks around a minimum of two years. Yes, he's on track to be #1 all-time at USU in career blocks in less than two years.

http://www.usustats.com/players/Neemias+Queta

This kid is special. I don't remember ever seeing someone in an Aggie uniform doing what he can do on the defensive end. And his scoring efficiency is great. He's got moves that work and doesn't miss from close range. We need to get him the ball more.
Can you imagine Stew coaching this team? Neemias would touch the ball every time down the floor and either shoot or pass out for an open 3.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 14th, 2019, 11:06 am

dogie wrote:
Your assessment is spot on. If he scores at the same rate that he is scoring he will have 656 points which would place him 7th all-time 1 point ahead of Brian Jackson (also ahead of Wayne Estes and Greg Grant for specific seasons of theirs).
dogie wrote:
I agree with the other answers. Merrill is being double teamed the second he touches the ball pretty much all game. Need other players on the team to command attention by scoring at a higher clip. I think Sam could get some more open looks if we fed Queta the ball in the post more. He's a good passer out of there if they double him.
dogie wrote:
Others have answered this one.
dogie wrote:
I just found the discrepancy. The Box Score for the Beehive Classic was delayed in publishing and all I had to go off of several hours after the game was the live stats that were published during the game. Those stats had Queta going 6 for 9 for 15 points in 24 minutes. Somehow the official box score ended up crediting him as 5-10 for 13 points in 25 minutes. It also gave him 2 more rebounds than the live stats did. I went back through and nearly every player's stats were incorrect, some players off by 4 points, two assists, two steals, etc. I wonder if the official box score is flawed or poorly done or if the live stats were just that inaccurate. Would probably have to watch the game over again to find out. Regardless I will go off of the official stats. The site will be updated later today.
dogie wrote:
I'm not sure how likely it will be for Merrill to average 20 PPG through the rest of his career given that only one player has achieved that in a single season in the last 34 years at Utah state (Jaycee Carroll did it twice).

Merrill was averaging 20 PPG earlier in the season, but that average has gone down as the season progressed. Currently he's sitting at 19.3 PPG but only averaging 18 PPG in conference play. It is possible for him to average 20PPG the rest of his career, but I don't think it's likely. Hopefully I'm wrong.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » January 14th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Queta has great vision and passes well
Recently, with his back half on left wing. With back partiallyturned he has made cross court passes to aggie bench corner for a wide open 3
He is a good passer

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » January 14th, 2019, 1:19 pm

He recently has 3 or 4 such passes

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 14th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Maybe even 5

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » January 14th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Yes he did but I want to avoid usu blues rant
He has won He will soon be GODS personal coach😉

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 14th, 2019, 3:43 pm

buckfever wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 3:00 pm
Yes he did but I want to avoid usu blues rant
He has won He will soon be GODS personal coach😉
I certainly know more about BBall than you Buck, but you are right Queta is a very good passer. In fact, for a freshman from Portugal, he's very talented in just about every area of the game. Makes me wonder how he developed such good skills at such a young age in a place that can't be considered a BBall hotbed.

Queta certainly will get stronger and thicker as he ages; a consistent jump hook with both hands would be nice; and while his footwork is good, he could make it more consistent also -- sometimes a little ackward.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 14th, 2019, 4:17 pm

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Queta looks like he will be the Aggies' best NBA prospect since Nate Williams. While I loved guys like Jaycee, Youngblood, Wesley, Harris, Spencer, Penigar, et al., most of them were either 'tweeners or were otherwise lacking in some way that made them less desirable to the NBA. Queta may have the whole package.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 14th, 2019, 4:42 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:17 pm
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Queta looks like he will be the Aggies' best NBA prospect since Nate Williams. While I loved guys like Jaycee, Youngblood, Wesley, Harris, Spencer, Penigar, et al., most of them were either 'tweeners or were otherwise lacking in some way that made them less desirable to the NBA. Queta may have the whole package.
I agree completely. It's been along time since we've had an NBA type of skill and size player. We've had some close ones like you mentioned and in the 70's actually had some that made it short-term after Nate.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » January 14th, 2019, 4:43 pm

No. Blue. You dont

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » January 14th, 2019, 4:44 pm

You are entertaining though.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 14th, 2019, 4:51 pm

buckfever wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:43 pm
No. Blue. You dont
Not even close Buck -- but keep trying.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » January 14th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Insecure people must say they are better and know more. Then they try to tear others down
Is so nice to not see anyone but secure true Aggies here.

mwburn
Has thanked: 0

Post by mwburn » January 15th, 2019, 7:18 am

Walks in and sets up card table; Puts two 6" rulers on the table.

"OK guys, settle it once and for all."

Walks out.

Someone else has to take the table down, I'm not touching it with a 10' pole and rubber gloves.

Twitter: mwburn

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 15th, 2019, 7:59 am

I certainly know more about BALL than you...

You are such a condescending piece of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 15th, 2019, 9:36 am

Do we need a girth measurement as well?

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 15th, 2019, 9:39 am

ChicAggie wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:17 pm
I agree with this. I think he's the best prospect to play in the league in a long time. If he could put on 20-30 pounds, which I think he could probably do by next year, he will have the measurables of a lot of the top centers in the NBA. I'm not sure exactly, but I think Queta is either 18 or 19?? If he puts in the work and doesn't get injured, I see him not only in the NBA, but playing significant minutes in 5-ish years. He has certain offensive abilities that many centers don't have at the NBA level. The way he passes out of the post is absolutely incredible. He could use some development with his footwork and post moves on offense, but his defense is pretty good right now. He shutdown an athletic Fresno team.

That being said, I know nothing. I'm sure we'll be updated on the NBA scout chatter over the next couple of years.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 15th, 2019, 7:43 pm

I wish we would get him more touches on the offensive end and play more inside out with him.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 16th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Queta is among the MWC leaders in 20 different categories (1st in seven different categories):

2-Pt FGs (70) - 9th
2-Pt FG% (.686) - 1st
ORBs (42) - 4th
DRBs (93) - 8th
TRBs (135) - 5th
BLKs (43) - 1st
RBPG (7.9) - 7th
BPG (2.5) - 1st
PER (25.2) - 3rd
TS% (.663) - 2nd
ORB% (.124) - 3rd
DRB% (.236) - 6th
TRB% (.184) - 3rd
BLK% (.121) - 1st
DRtg (84.1) - 1st
Def Win Shares (1.3) - 2nd
Win Shares (2.2) - 7th
WS/40 (.219) - 3rd
Def Plus/Minus (9.2) - 1st
Tot Plus/Minus (10.8) - 1st

He is also among the national leaders in 3 categories:

BLKs (43) - 9th
BLK% (.121) - 7th
Def Plus/Minus (9.2) - 7th

Pretty damned impressive for anyone, but particularly for a freshman.

dogie

Post by dogie » January 19th, 2019, 7:22 pm

dogie wrote:

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 19th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I wondered who mentioned that on the forum the other night. Great call doggie

Al calling it one of greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » January 19th, 2019, 11:43 pm

For Buck and USU Blue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 20th, 2019, 12:58 am

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » January 20th, 2019, 1:09 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 9:36 am
Do we need a girth measurement as well?

You're gonna need something smaller than a centimeter for blue

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 20th, 2019, 8:31 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 11:43 pm

For Buck and USU Blue

Now that is what I’m talking about. That would better measure a man’s ability.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » January 20th, 2019, 9:16 am

Jjoey53 wrote:Image

For Buck and USU Blue

Given my own advancing age, I can assure that that picture is wholly inaccurate for Buck and Blue. I only achieved that kind of distance in my pre-teen years

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Locked Previous topicNext topic