WILD BILL

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bazinga22

WILD BILL

Post by bazinga22 » January 9th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Jjoey53

Re: WILD BILL

Post by Jjoey53 » January 9th, 2019, 8:00 pm

That was my first year living in Logan , Spectrum at its best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 10th, 2019, 12:56 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Don’t know if that era in the Spectrum will ever be matched. Had the perfect combination of student leadership and participation, winning teams, great coaching and was right at the end of a 100-year period when sports was still a community unifier.

I think we can and will have winning teams and great coaching with Smith. Organic, original student leadership is more difficult to recreate/recapture I think and I don’t know if sports will continue to capture the attention and imagination of audiences (especially young ones) as it once did. Seeing attendance declines everywhere.

That era of Spectrum Magic was a very rare and pretty extraordinary thing and I feel lucky to have experienced it. I hope we can somehow capture it again.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » January 10th, 2019, 9:12 am

I grew up in logan going to games, I was in middle school during the best years. Now I'm actually a student at usu I'm constantly dissappointed with my fellow students.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 10th, 2019, 9:41 am

One thing that's funny is some people think that me and Bill are similar in that we are both big Aggie fans. But there is actually one difference between me and him. He thinks it's a crime to tell a mission story in church, while I think it's fine.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 10th, 2019, 10:24 am

Jjoey53 wrote:

This was my first year too. Such a great time.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 10th, 2019, 10:26 am

bluegrouse wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 12:56 am
Jjoey53 wrote:

Don’t know if that era in the Spectrum will ever be matched. Had the perfect combination of student leadership and participation, winning teams, great coaching and was right at the end of a 100-year period when sports was still a community unifier.

I think we can and will have winning teams and great coaching with Smith. Organic, original student leadership is more difficult to recreate/recapture I think and I don’t know if sports will continue to capture the attention and imagination of audiences (especially young ones) as it once did. Seeing attendance declines everywhere.

That era of Spectrum Magic was a very rare and pretty extraordinary thing and I feel lucky to have experienced it. I hope we can somehow capture it again.
I don't think that it will ever get to the same level as it was with WildBill again, but hopefully with a couple of winning seasons and some big wins, it will get back to being the premier home court advantage west of the Mississippi.

Was the atmosphere good last night though?

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » January 10th, 2019, 10:44 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 10:26 am

No. When Fresno had the ball down 2 on the final possession the non student sections were still sitting in their seats. The Spectrum magic left the building when the students left with Stew.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » January 10th, 2019, 11:06 am

The students didn't leave with Stew theyt left when the administration sided with the school to the South. It was never the same after. It didn't help that the team was in a decline at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 10th, 2019, 3:50 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 12:56 am
Jjoey53 wrote:

I don't think that it will ever get to the same level as it was with WildBill again, but hopefully with a couple of winning seasons and some big wins, it will get back to being the premier home court advantage west of the Mississippi.

I would say it was louder than it’s been which is a good sign I suppose but nowhere near what it was like in the heyday. I would guess attendance at 7,000-7,500 for a premiere game with school in session which to me was pretty disappointing. Hopefully it keeps improving.

Current student leaders should seriously consider tracking down Tyler Olsen, Faf and Wild Bill to interview them about what made those years so successful from a student point of view.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 10th, 2019, 3:57 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 10:44 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:

No. When Fresno had the ball down 2 on the final possession the non student sections were still sitting in their seats. The Spectrum magic left the building when the students left with Stew.
Honestly, our non-student sections have pretty much always been sub-par. If they we even as good as most of our peers, it would make a big difference. I’ve never really understood it. Even at the height of the student sections under Stew, our remaining crowd was pretty dismal (even though they showed up in much bigger numbers then).

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 10th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Life was good before the SigEps started being the self appointed enforcers of the front row.

Bill and the guys around Bill didn’t have to act as if their personal respiratory health issues proved they were better fans than everyone else. Then forcing people/ inimidating people who get to the Spectrum early to sit elsewhere so that their friends who get there 5 mins after tip-off can get those seats.

Obviously there are many other reasons the spectrum had a down turn.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 10th, 2019, 6:12 pm

When he almost died and his relief society president put together a card for him, I wrote "Jeff the Don't Pass player". And when he saw "Don't Pass" he knew it was me. The RS president didn't know what it is when she saw it, but Bill did like I knew he would.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » January 14th, 2019, 3:05 pm

take it from us Old TImers...before wild Bill on the front row....
it was the FIJI's

good times then i can tell you.

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » January 14th, 2019, 4:18 pm

I really hope that people don't forget the times before the Wild Bill era, as if that was the only time the Spectrum had its magic. I was a student for basically forever, attending games from 2004-2015, and almost all of my favorite Spectrum memories come from before the Wild Bill era. Not to say that it wasn't significant or anything, not at all, its just that the Wild Bill era was when we were the most organized. Before then, things seemed a lot more fluid and organic. The chants were more spontaneous, starting in places other than just Section F. While I have very fond memories from that time, by far most of my favorite Spectrum memories are from before that. Nothing can beat the electricity that went through the Spectrum when Chaz Spicer nailed that buzzer beater to beat Utah.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » January 14th, 2019, 4:20 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:18 pm
I really hope that people don't forget the times before the Wild Bill era, as if that was the only time the Spectrum had its magic. I was a student for basically forever, attending games from 2004-2015, and almost all of my favorite Spectrum memories come from before the Wild Bill era. Not to say that it wasn't significant or anything, not at all, its just that the Wild Bill era was when we were the most organized. Before then, things seemed a lot more fluid and organic. The chants were more spontaneous, starting in places other than just Section F. While I have very fond memories from that time, by far most of my favorite Spectrum memories are from before that. Nothing can beat the electricity that went through the Spectrum when Chaz Spicer nailed that buzzer beater to beat Utah.
I still remember that game, I thought my heart was going to stop from the noise alone. Those were great days! I'd leave games with my voice gone just from yelling incoherently anytime the other team touched the ball.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 14th, 2019, 5:39 pm

sammyhagar wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 3:05 pm
take it from us Old TImers...before wild Bill on the front row....
it was the FIJI's

good times then i can tell you.
Bunch of drunk degenerates. I loved those guys. I believe our own John Harvey was a FIJI. Can we get a comment for the record?

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 14th, 2019, 6:23 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:

Well.......there were 2 or 3 years at the end of the Stew era that Spectrum Magic slipped. My favorite days in the Spectrum were in the 70's.

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » January 14th, 2019, 6:41 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 6:23 pm
aggiesdotcom wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:

Well.......there were 2 or 3 years at the end of the Stew era that Spectrum Magic slipped. My favorite days in the Spectrum were in the 70's.
Miss the old Big West days too. I was pretty young but remember it getting quite loud. There were some fun showdowns. Also, I love Tark's reaction in this video.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 9IJXZgPI_B

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 14th, 2019, 9:27 pm

I’ve always had the theory that Brady’s injury and then Kyseian’s injury was the beginning of the end. The roster Stew had prepared was good enough to be reasonably successful that season given the departure of several Aggie legends.

I think Medlin was put in a tough spot. He certainly tried to be the leader- and he was, it just never clicked with the new talent.

Shaw was a good player, but he could have done well to learn more from Brady’s aggressiveness. Butterfield was great but I think that was his first year in the program. Maybe 2nd? Pane really tried to step up too but I don’t think he trusted his the younger guys enough to step up and he seemed to end up drawing a charge every game and chuck it from 3 too much.

Berger, Stone, Davis et al never tasted the success to really motivate them to stay with the program. Granted, Marcel’s situation wasn’t the same as the others. Had Kyseian and Jardine stayed healthy I believe that they would have learned how to win better.

On top of that Bair and Bradshaw quit right at the beginning of the season. I think they had talent that would have been tapped had they stayed. I know that the Bailey’s were disappointed and thought that Bair made a big mistake.

That season could have gone very differently but when you lose 5 players it’s difficult to be competitive. After that it was a constant fire. We would get talent, put them on a team that didn’t know how to win and they’d leave like Kyle Davis and Collette. I really think if that injury against SUU doesn’t happen Aggie basketball would have dominated the depleted WAC and we would have been respectable in the MWC

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » January 15th, 2019, 1:10 am

NAggsty Butler wrote: Nothing can beat the electricity that went through the Spectrum when Chaz Spicer nailed that buzzer beater to beat Utah.
I went to nearly every home game when I lived in Logan this was easily my favorite as well. That's the loudest thing I've experienced.

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » January 15th, 2019, 7:45 am

Where is "Wild Bill" now?

Dmoney

Post by Dmoney » January 15th, 2019, 8:28 am

Bill was on a podcast a few months ago talking about his time at USU and his life. It is a good listen.

https://player.fm/series/optimal-you/op ... version-20

scotlandog

WILD BILL

Post by scotlandog » January 15th, 2019, 12:37 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
NAggsty Butler wrote: Nothing can beat the electricity that went through the Spectrum when Chaz Spicer nailed that buzzer beater to beat Utah.
I went to nearly every home game when I lived in Logan this was easily my favorite as well. That's the loudest thing I've experienced.

The Nevada game where they came to Logan ranked like #6 or #7 and we beat them was pretty epic as well. Stretches of that game were so loud. That Nevada game and the Utah Spicer game are the 2 that will stay with me forever.

Unfortunately that Pacific game will stay with me forever as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » January 15th, 2019, 12:57 pm

scotlandog wrote:
pilotaggie wrote:

The Nevada game where they came to Logan ranked like #6 or #7 and we beat them was pretty epic as well. Stretches of that game were so loud. That Nevada game and the Utah Spicer game are the 2 that will stay with me forever.

Unfortunately that Pacific game will stay with me forever as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Pacific game I had blocked out of my mind. That was just brutal.

Locked Previous topicNext topic