Tim Duryea Ruined The Aggies

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Imakeitrain

Re: Tim Duryea Ruined The Aggies

Post by Imakeitrain » January 11th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Is anyone really surprised that we lost to Fresno? They too have won most of their games. Every game someone wins; someone loses.

It’s Division 1 basketball and Fresno is in the top 15-20% of D1 teams. We can talk about the X’s & O’s but teams have talent at this level, especially teams like Fresno.

We’ve lost to UNR, ASU, Houston, FSU & BYU. 3 of those teams are flat out better. Out of 10 games we’d lose 8-10. 1 is evenly matched (we’d lose 4-6) and one we shart the bed.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 11th, 2019, 9:18 pm

dyedblue wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:25 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:24 pm
JFWAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:21 pm
poor coaching in my opinion by smith, Fresno had one player that beat us tonight, he was continually left wide open and when he did have the ball we never doubled him to force the ball out of his hands, and yes half our roster is big sky level right now, but they do play hard, i thought porter played a heck of a game, missed free throws and timely awful defense was the difference tonight.
Damn, I mean, it seemed to me that we had a hand up on every three they shot from four feet behind the arc. Can't really double that far away from the basket... Huggins just got hot.
hmm... how is it merrill doesnt get any open looks, he is double teamed every single possession at the three point line?
Thank You. I have been screaming that point for the last two weeks. I really think there has to be plays that gets Sam open more often than he is. Our opponents number one strategy is to keep Merrill from having open shots whether it takes 2 or 3 to do it. That leaves guys open who can't shoot that well.
Last night, coming down the stretch when Fresno was within 2 or 3 points we had 3 critical possessions where Taylor, Brito and Porter (who had a good game....not a GREAT game by any stretch when you consider ball handling and defense), all were the ones taking the shots. I thought "your kidding me". Miller was hot, Queta was way hot, and Merrill was Merrill. Can't one of those be taking the shots, and the other 3 concentrate on defense and rebounding?
Yes, but Sam does not run around and use screens to get open. I love Sam, but watch the end of the game again. He gives the ball up, stands around, and then goes and gets the ball.

Guys like Carroll and Medlin ran their tails off away from the ball to get open. We can run plays and set screens, but Sam needs to move to take advantage of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By the end of the game, Sam is exhausted. He needs more breaks and for that to happen, someone else really needs to step up.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 11th, 2019, 10:35 pm

scotlandog wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 9:18 pm
dyedblue wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
JFWAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:25 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:24 pm
JFWAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 9:21 pm
poor coaching in my opinion by smith, Fresno had one player that beat us tonight, he was continually left wide open and when he did have the ball we never doubled him to force the ball out of his hands, and yes half our roster is big sky level right now, but they do play hard, i thought porter played a heck of a game, missed free throws and timely awful defense was the difference tonight.
Damn, I mean, it seemed to me that we had a hand up on every three they shot from four feet behind the arc. Can't really double that far away from the basket... Huggins just got hot.
hmm... how is it merrill doesnt get any open looks, he is double teamed every single possession at the three point line?
Thank You. I have been screaming that point for the last two weeks. I really think there has to be plays that gets Sam open more often than he is. Our opponents number one strategy is to keep Merrill from having open shots whether it takes 2 or 3 to do it. That leaves guys open who can't shoot that well.
Last night, coming down the stretch when Fresno was within 2 or 3 points we had 3 critical possessions where Taylor, Brito and Porter (who had a good game....not a GREAT game by any stretch when you consider ball handling and defense), all were the ones taking the shots. I thought "your kidding me". Miller was hot, Queta was way hot, and Merrill was Merrill. Can't one of those be taking the shots, and the other 3 concentrate on defense and rebounding?
Yes, but Sam does not run around and use screens to get open. I love Sam, but watch the end of the game again. He gives the ball up, stands around, and then goes and gets the ball.

Guys like Carroll and Medlin ran their tails off away from the ball to get open. We can run plays and set screens, but Sam needs to move to take advantage of them.

By the end of the game, Sam is exhausted. He needs more breaks and for that to happen, someone else really needs to step up.

It's not going to happen, most of the players have already stepped up as best they can.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 14th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 4:06 pm
Is anyone really surprised that we lost to Fresno? They too have won most of their games. Every game someone wins; someone loses.

It’s Division 1 basketball and Fresno is in the top 15-20% of D1 teams. We can talk about the X’s & O’s but teams have talent at this level, especially teams like Fresno.

We’ve lost to UNR, ASU, Houston, FSU & BYU. 3 of those teams are flat out better. Out of 10 games we’d lose 8-10. 1 is evenly matched (we’d lose 4-6) and one we shart the bed.
We were 6.5 pt favorites, so yeah.

Fresno led for 5 seconds all game, it was tied only once at 2-2. If not for Huggins having the game of his life we win fairly comfortably, 10+

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 15th, 2019, 9:38 am

We just need to get it back on the road in Fresno. I felt that we played very well. I was surprised that there weren't very many turnovers, because it felt like we had a bunch. Fresno was persistent and had a guy perform out of his mind. Those days happen in basketball.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 16th, 2019, 11:35 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 10:41 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 4:06 pm

We were 6.5 pt favorites, so yeah.

Fresno led for 5 seconds all game, it was tied only once at 2-2. If not for Huggins having the game of his life we win fairly comfortably, 10+
The point is Fresno is a good team

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 17th, 2019, 6:10 am

Tim Duryea may have ruined the Aggies but Craig Smith and the boys are doing a helluva job bringing them back!

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » January 17th, 2019, 8:31 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 6:10 am
Tim Duryea may have ruined the Aggies but Craig Smith and the boys are doing a helluva job bringing them back!
I agree! I think last year we lose both the Wyoming and SJSU games after the starts we had. Granted, these slow starts definitely need to stop, but it’s nice to see the team fight back from a deficit. I don’t remember seeing that a lot under TD.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

Locked Previous topicNext topic