Fonzo

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

Fonzo

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 17th, 2019, 2:36 pm

I just saw Alphonso Anderson had a lil game the other night. Our potential recruit Rayquan also had a good line.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Fonzo

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 17th, 2019, 2:39 pm

24 rebounds? How tall is he again?

usu99

Post by usu99 » January 17th, 2019, 2:43 pm

3-20 from 3.. they shoot as well as the Aggies of late.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 17th, 2019, 2:49 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 2:39 pm
He is listed at 6-6. If he is a dog on the boards that will make up for his lack of height. As well as the fact he will share the front court with Queta.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 17th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 2:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 2:39 pm
He is listed at 6-6. If he is a dog on the boards that will make up for his lack of height. As well as the fact he will share the front court with Queta.
Same height as old Chuck Barkley.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 17th, 2019, 2:57 pm

We need him to be really good next year. I hope he can play. There's going to be big void left by Quinn Taylor & Dwayne Brown.

Not only will it be a void but we also need to get better there.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 17th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 2:57 pm
We need him to be really good next year. I hope he can play. There's going to be big void left by Quinn Taylor & Dwayne Brown.

Not only will it be a void but we also need to get better there.
Not sure i’d call it a “big” void.

gametime12
Been thanked: 0

Post by gametime12 » January 18th, 2019, 7:16 am

Here's the game footage of Fonzo's 33/24 game

Donald_Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Post by Donald_Sullivan » January 18th, 2019, 7:45 am

Anderson's a good player. He's listed as a 6'7" G/F on the Aggie site article about him signing. He's good around the basket and looks like a PF to me. He did well in their 2 toughest games against Snow and CCSF.

Those are impressive stats, but, it was against a team that doesn't start a player over 6'4" and without a player nearly as talented as Anderson.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 18th, 2019, 8:39 am

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 7:45 am
Anderson's a good player. He's listed as a 6'7" G/F on the Aggie site article about him signing. He's good around the basket and looks like a PF to me. He did well in their 2 toughest games against Snow and CCSF.

Those are impressive stats, but, it was against a team that doesn't start a player over 6'4" and without a player nearly as talented as Anderson.
While I completely get what you are saying, we SHOULD be signing guys that don't play down to a weaker opponents level and will dominate when the opportunity presents itself.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 18th, 2019, 9:19 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 8:39 am
Donald_Sullivan wrote:

While I completely get what you are saying, we SHOULD be signing guys that don't play down to a weaker opponents level and will dominate when the opportunity presents itself.
When I read your comment the first name that immediately popped into my mind was Modou Niang. It seems like his all-world stats were logged from playing in the Japanese all-midget HS league. Would he be one of our greatest recruiting busts? A 3-year, 1.9 ppg player. Not even SLB could make his points/40 minutes look good.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 18th, 2019, 9:27 am

To say that Modou was raw like a freshly cut steak is still an understatement. He was as raw as an un-slaughtered cow.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 18th, 2019, 9:37 am

utaggies wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 9:19 am
When I read your comment the first name that immediately popped into my mind was Modou Niang. It seems like his all-world stats were logged from playing in the Japanese all-midget HS league. Would he be one of our greatest recruiting busts? A 3-year, 1.9 ppg player. Not even SLB could make his points/40 minutes look good.
Ahh, Modou. Yeah, he might have been my biggest disappointment as an Aggie recruit. While his mind-boggling high school numbers might have been accumulated as a 6'10" player playing in a 6'-and-under league, I assumed he must have SOME skills to post those numbers. Was I ever mistaken.

I was SO much more excited for Modou and what seemed like huge potential than I was for Queta, but man has Queta exceeded every expectation and more. That guy has been the greatest find in my nearly 40 years of Aggie fandom.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 18th, 2019, 10:37 am

Queto vs Santos:

Other than those two, we would have, I think, to go back to the 1960s to find a better center in all of Aggie history than these two.

My question: Which is/was better? Santos or Queto?

Yes, I understand fully that Santos had a better head of hair. And had much better people feeding him the rock.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 18th, 2019, 10:46 am

I don't think it's premature to crown Queta not only the greatest center, but the greatest player of all-time in the history of not only USU, but of the world.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 18th, 2019, 10:50 am

USU78 wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 10:37 am
Queto vs Santos:

Other than those two, we would have, I think, to go back to the 1960s to find a better center in all of Aggie history than these two.

Yes, I understand fully that Santos had a better head of hair. And had much better people feeding him the rock.
I never saw Santos play, but from what I can glean from the stats I would think that it's safe to say that Santos was a better rebounder, and possibly a more polished scorer than Queta is. However, I think rebounding has change in the last few decades. There aren't as many big centers gobbling up a dozen boards per game like there used to be. It's been over 40 years since we had someone average double digits in rebounds. Interestingly enough, the last man to do it was Mike Santos himself.

I would say that Queta is a better shot blocker and more efficient scorer (though at a lower quantity of shots).

You can compare some of their record book stats here:

http://www.usustats.com/players/Mike+Santos

http://www.usustats.com/players/Neemias+Queta

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 18th, 2019, 10:52 am

I only watched one season of Mike Santos, and I was like 13 at the time, so my ability to judge his talent and potential was not exactly refined. While Santos sported a fantastic 'fro and was drafted in the 3rd Round by the Buffalo Braves, he did not crack the roster and never played a minute of NBA basketball. We also saw Santos for four seasons. Queta for less than one thus far. Based purely on stats, playing time, and overall contribution to the team, Queta's star is shining far brighter during his freshman season than Santos's did. Time will tell.

NOTE: I do not believe "blocks" were recorded as a statistic during Santos's era, so I don't believe it is possible to compare them on this statistical category. Could be wrong on that one.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 18th, 2019, 11:01 am

ChicAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 10:52 am
I only watched one season of Mike Santos, and I was like 13 at the time, so my ability to judge his talent and potential was not exactly refined. While Santos sported a fantastic 'fro and was drafted in the 3rd Round by the Buffalo Braves, he did not crack the roster and never played a minute of NBA basketball. We also saw Santos for four seasons. Queta for less than one thus far. Based purely on stats, playing time, and overall contribution to the team, Queta's star is shining far brighter during his freshman season than Santos's did. Time will tell.

NOTE: I do not believe "blocks" were recorded as a statistic during Santos's era, so I don't believe it is possible to compare them on this statistical category. Could be wrong on that one.
You are right. They only started recording blocked shots in the NCAA in the 1985-86 season. We will never know how many blocked shots Mike Santos had...

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 18th, 2019, 11:04 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 10:50 am
USU78 wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 10:37 am
Queto vs Santos:

I never saw Santos play, but from what I can glean from the stats I would think that it's safe to say that Santos was a better rebounder, and possibly a more polished scorer than Queta is. However, I think rebounding has change in the last few decades. There aren't as many big centers gobbling up a dozen boards per game like there used to be. It's been over 40 years since we had someone average double digits in rebounds. Interestingly enough, the last man to do it was Mike Santos himself.

I would say that Queta is a better shot blocker and more efficient scorer (though at a lower quantity of shots).

You can compare some of their record book stats here:

http://www.usustats.com/players/Mike+Santos

http://www.usustats.com/players/Neemias+Queta
You have to remember that Santos played freshman ball and 3 years of varsity ball with no redshirt. Queta comes in as a frosh playing varsity. I think we'll see his rebounding improve as he gains experience and gets "coached up."

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 18th, 2019, 12:10 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Probably since the SJSU game was so recent, Brito was the first name that popped into my mind. 😀

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 18th, 2019, 6:30 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 9:37 am
utaggies wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 9:19 am
Ahh, Modou. Yeah, he might have been my biggest disappointment as an Aggie recruit. While his mind-boggling high school numbers might have been accumulated as a 6'10" player playing in a 6'-and-under league, I assumed he must have SOME skills to post those numbers. Was I ever mistaken.

I was SO much more excited for Modou and what seemed like huge potential than I was for Queta, but man has Queta exceeded every expectation and more. That guy has been the greatest find in my nearly 40 years of Aggie fandom.
I think the only good thing about Modou being an Aggie was that I got his WAC championship ring on Ebay.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Donald_Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Post by Donald_Sullivan » January 19th, 2019, 11:26 am

aggies22 wrote:
Donald_Sullivan wrote:

I didn't say that we shouldn't have signed him.

But what I should have said is...........that game was like a D1 team going against an NAIA team. It was a team with at least 2 D1 starters going against a team that may not have a player on the entire roster who will play at any level after JC ball. Wenatchee started 5 guards. It gives no indication as to what Anderson will be able to do when going up against taller D1 post players when he gets here. And the majority of conference games he plays this season won't either. NIC has won all of their NWAC games by at least 25, and that's with playing at least 10 players.

Locked Previous topicNext topic