Coach Sanford Interview on 1280 The Zone

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tetonaggie

Coach Sanford Interview on 1280 The Zone

Post by tetonaggie » January 17th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Really enjoyed this interview with Coach Sanford, really the first we’ve heard from him. Lots of excitement for the program, staff, and players. Not changing offense, just adding a few of his own wrinkles and said will try to speed it up a little more if that’s possible. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sl7vk

Re: Coach Sanford Interview on 1280 The Zone

Post by Sl7vk » January 17th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Thanks for the link!

Great interview!

Love this guy. So humble! He did nothing but heap praise on everyone around him, never once talking about himself except for his setbacks.
This guy is such a huge win for our program. Hope he stays in Logan a long time. Would love to see him as the HC one day as well.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 17th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Wait, assistant coaches are allowed to do interviews too?

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » January 17th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Thought it was a good interview too. I thought it significant that he said his father said that GA (paraphrasing) was more committed to the development/well-being of players than any coach he had ever been around. High praise considering Sanford Sr. had been around a lot of great coaches. Also impressed with Coach Sanford's (Jr.) commitment to continue to develop and refine Jordan Love. Thought his comments on Love's leadership style were insightful.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 18th, 2019, 9:53 am

When talking QB's, Sanford mentioned about the possibility of adding another QB from Utah Valley area. He seemed fairly confident about it. He was obviously talking about Cooper. If we land him and with the signing of Calvin we have some real promising prospects at QB for years to come.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » January 18th, 2019, 9:56 am

I like how he compared Jordan Love to Andrew Luck. It would be awesome if Jordan could take the next step and become a first round type prospect.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 18th, 2019, 11:03 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 9:56 am
I like how he compared Jordan Love to Andrew Luck. It would be awesome if Jordan could take the next step and become a first round type prospect in 2021.
FIFY

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

kofdog

Post by kofdog » January 18th, 2019, 11:39 am

Sanford wants to play even faster? :shock: That's awesome

Anyone heard what they players think of Sanford so far? Or any of the new staff for that matter?

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 18th, 2019, 12:15 pm

kofdog wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 11:39 am
Anyone heard what they players think of Sanford so far? Or any of the new staff for that matter?
I wonder if there are any parents posting on this board who might have some insights . . . .

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » January 18th, 2019, 12:26 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 12:15 pm
kofdog wrote:
I wonder if there are any parents posting on this board who might have some insights . . . .
I wonder :lol: :lol: ......no actually, I posted somewhere else, I can't speak for the whole team or all of the coaches, but Jordan and his roommates LOOOOVE Coach A, Jordan loves Coach Phillips. He literally has had nothing bad to say. He feels the difference between Wells and Andersen, said Coach A is so into making sure his team is ok. He cares about their well being....He hasn't said anything about Coach Sanford
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
IdaAg93

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 18th, 2019, 12:44 pm

taniataylor wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 12:26 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
kofdog wrote:
I wonder :lol: :lol: ......no actually, I posted somewhere else, I can't speak for the whole team or all of the coaches, but Jordan and his roommates LOOOOVE Coach A, Jordan loves Coach Phillips. He literally has had nothing bad to say. He feels the difference between Wells and Andersen, said Coach A is so into making sure his team is ok. He cares about their well being....He hasn't said anything about Coach Sanford
ChicAggie LOVES this post. :thumbsup:

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 18th, 2019, 1:10 pm

taniataylor wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
kofdog wrote:
Thanks for this. I am curious, and maybe this is info you are not willing to share, but in what ways does Coach Andersen demonstrate he cares about his guys that Coach Wells didn't?

It was a pretty common topic on this board that guys loved Andersen and didn't love Wells (that Wells was like their school principal was one common analogy) and I have been curious about just how they go about things that leads to the different relationships.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » January 18th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 1:10 pm
taniataylor wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
kofdog wrote:
Thanks for this. I am curious, and maybe this is info you are not willing to share, but in what ways does Coach Andersen demonstrate he cares about his guys that Coach Wells didn't?

It was a pretty common topic on this board that guys loved Andersen and didn't love Wells (that Wells was like their school principal was one common analogy) and I have been curious about just how they go about things that leads to the different relationships.
I'm going to be as honest as I possibly can here.....Coach Wells did not like Jordan...probably because of the Rayshad Lewis thing (Jordan told Coach Wells that Rayshad was only playing over him because of his Dad and that if Rayshad could change positions when he wanted then everyone should, I was furious with him for that one, but if Jordan spoke up then it must have been something he noticed, he's normally very respectful) ...Jordan has been a very quiet player which is not normal, he is usually the guy cheering and lighting a fire under everyone. So far, Jordan has been excited, not the blahhhhh attitude as in the last few years. Without being specific, because I truly can't at this point, Jordan told me that Coach A is working on a few things for them and has actually taken the time to talk to each one and ask them what they want to do with themselves. Coach Phillips called Jordan while he was home over the Christmas break and also took the time to get to know Jordan and where he comes from.
My 1st impression of Coach A, I think he's a morale changer. He congratulates them on things they do well, but also encourages them when they are struggling. He appears to have more of a human touch, rather than lashing out at the risk of losing his job....
My 1st impression of Coach Wells, he had a very canned, fake approach, including the very 1st talk we had, while he was trying to bring Jordan on board. He ACTUALLY told me that USU was the best offer that Jordan was going to get (even if that were the case, that is not something you say to a parent) and that he would improve Jordan as a player....HE DID NOT - In fact things only turned around for alot of those guys when Coach Yost took over. In my opinion Yost was also a player's coach. The offense ran with Yost's vision and once he completely took over the offense last season, you saw the team really get involved with what was going on around them.
IdaAg93

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 18th, 2019, 2:02 pm

taniataylor wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 1:35 pm
In fact things only turned around for alot of those guys when Coach Yost took over. In my opinion Yost was also a player's coach. The offense ran with Yost's vision and once he completely took over the offense last season, you saw the team really get involved with what was going on around them.
THAT is very interesting. I was fairly down on Wells coming into this season (saw an immediate decline in on-field "effort" and preparation following GA's departure), but the way the team played this season on both sides of the ball (particularly on the O side) changed my opinion of Wells dramatically. I know having a good staff around the HC makes a big difference, but I assumed Wells had learned from past mistakes and had adapted to become a much better HC. Sounds like it was less of the latter and much more of the former.

Great to hear that the new staff is having such a positive impact already.

Have I mentioned I love having you on the board, Tania?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 18th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I had a family member on the team also. He played for both Coach Andersen and for Coach Wells. He told me the main way to describe the difference between the two is that when Coach Andersen spoke to the team or group of players, each player felt like he was talking personally to him. When Coach Wells talked to the team or group, it felt like he was talking at the team or group rather than with the players on a personal level. A little similar to the “canned” presentation that Tania was talking about.

Obviously Wells grew as a coach. And I give him a great deal of credit for the coordinators he brought in. With Orlando, we had one of the best if not the best defensive coordinators in the country. And with Yost, again we had one of the best if not the best offensive coordinator in the country. That’s pretty impressive given the amount of money he had to spend on assistant coaches. I wish wells all the best at Texas Tech.
Last edited by USUBlue on January 18th, 2019, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » January 18th, 2019, 2:43 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 2:02 pm
taniataylor wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 1:35 pm
In fact things only turned around for alot of those guys when Coach Yost took over. In my opinion Yost was also a player's coach. The offense ran with Yost's vision and once he completely took over the offense last season, you saw the team really get involved with what was going on around them.
THAT is very interesting. I was fairly down on Wells coming into this season (saw an immediate decline in on-field "effort" and preparation following GA's departure), but the way the team played this season on both sides of the ball (particularly on the O side) changed my opinion of Wells dramatically. I know having a good staff around the HC makes a big difference, but I assumed Wells had learned from past mistakes and had adapted to become a much better HC. Sounds like it was less of the latter and much more of the former.

Great to hear that the new staff is having such a positive impact already.

Have I mentioned I love having you on the board, Tania?
They wanted to win, they wanted to be successful, but it was not for Wells, it was for the team, take a look at some of the interactions during the games, they weren't around him much....Chuckie & Bo were the coaches the guys ran to, not even lil Wells.

Thank you, I love being here
IdaAg93

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » January 18th, 2019, 4:01 pm

I talked with a couple of players on the defensive side after their meeting with Coach A around the first of the year. Both told me how excited they were for the coaching change and when I asked how the team as a whole seems to be taking the change one said, only positive all around.

I am glad Wells pushed the program forward and didn’t let it fall apart. I think he has an incredible talent to find assistant coaches. I am also glad Anderson is our current coach and feel like this is a great time to be an Aggie.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 18th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 4:01 pm
I talked with a couple of players on the defensive side after their meeting with Coach A around the first of the year. Both told me how excited they were for the coaching change and when I asked how the team as a whole seems to be taking the change one said, only positive all around.

I am glad Wells pushed the program forward and didn’t let it fall apart. I think he has an incredible talent to find assistant coaches. I am also glad Anderson is our current coach and feel like this is a great time to be an Aggie.
Lets put a caveat on your statement about Wells. He hired one stud D coordinator and another good one in Patterson. The AD hired Yost and told him to stay out of the offense.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 18th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Tread lightly, dyedblue is gonna be pissed at all this negative Wells talk.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 18th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Nope. Fire away. I still think Wells was a great coach and did a fantastic job at Utah State. His record indicates he did something right. He got his pay day so good for him.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 18th, 2019, 7:56 pm

dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 5:43 pm
Nope. Fire away. I still think Wells was a great coach and did a fantastic job at Utah State. His record indicates he did something right. He got his pay day so good for him.

His record was mixed. 5-7 last year and he would have been (I can't express myself without swearing) canned.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 18th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

His record was mixed. 5-7 last year and he would have been s*** canned.
Yeah, but he went 10-2 instead of 5-7 so he didn't.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
JSHarvey

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 18th, 2019, 8:02 pm

dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 7:59 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

He can thank Yost and Hartwell for that.
He won’t last 2 years in Lubbock.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 18th, 2019, 8:05 pm

I really don't want to argue so credit whoever you want. Wells is responsible for every loss and Orlando and Yost win every game. You win.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 18th, 2019, 8:28 pm

I think he’s hit his Peter Principle in Lubbock but time will tell. I’ve been wrong before.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
JSHarvey

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 18th, 2019, 8:40 pm

dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 8:05 pm
I really don't want to argue so credit whoever you want. Wells is responsible for every loss and Orlando and Yost win every game. You win.

Shut up dyedblue. You’re such a Wells cheerleader. You better back off before you start spewing more wells love. Just sit in your corner.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » January 18th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Come on guys......

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 18th, 2019, 9:16 pm

taniataylor wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 9:02 pm
Come on guys......
NO. Dyedblue is completely out of line. If I don’t call him out, who will?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 18th, 2019, 9:28 pm

I've never understood why so many people are against Wells. He for sure has his issues and it's pretty well-known he's not a player's coach but he did a really good job here. Everyone wants to give credit to his coordinators when we win but when we lose it's always Wells fault. I think Gary will do great things and I know his players love to play for him but I'm always going to be grateful for Wells and everything he did.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
JSHarvey

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » January 18th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Pretty sure flying scottsman is being facetious.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 19th, 2019, 6:29 am

justinmorrey wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 10:12 pm
What the? Where the heck have you been?! I can’t remember the last time you posted.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 19th, 2019, 2:50 pm

justinmorrey wrote:
Thx man. I was afraid I’d have to keep trashing dyedblue over and over again till someone caught on. It was a bit of a nightmare really.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 20th, 2019, 2:14 pm

dyedblue wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 7:59 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

LOL. Exactly.

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer » January 22nd, 2019, 3:14 pm

Link doesn't work for me...

Did they take it down?

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » May 20th, 2019, 3:51 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 6:29 am
justinmorrey wrote:
What the? Where the heck have you been?! I can’t remember the last time you posted.
Oh, I've been around. I'm aaaaaalways watching.

But sometimes I might not notice I was asked a question for a few months.

Locked Previous topicNext topic