No Opinions, Just Stats

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

No Opinions, Just Stats

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 28th, 2019, 6:23 am

Here's some screenshots of some advanced stats from Basketball Reference for our team. Extrapolate from this what you will.

Player Efficiency Rating

Stats Per 40 Minutes of Play

Win Shares Per 40 minutes; an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player per 40 minutes (average is approximately .100)

Box Plus/Minus. A box score estimate of the points per 100 possessions a player contributed above a league-average player, translated to an average team.

Offensive Box Plus/Minus

Defensive Box Plus/Minus

Offensive Rating. An estimate of points produced for players for 100 possessions.

Defensive Rating. An estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions.

True Shooting Percentage. A measure of shooting efficiency that takes into account 2-point field goals, 3-point field goals, and free throws.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2019.html

dogie

Re: No Opinions, Just Stats

Post by dogie » January 28th, 2019, 7:46 am

I can’t believe you think that Justin Bean is one of the best three or four players on the team!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 28th, 2019, 7:51 am

Brown's numbers are better than I expected

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 28th, 2019, 7:53 am

dogie wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 7:46 am
I can’t believe you think that Justin Bean is one of the best three or four players on the team!
Or that Abel Porter is statistically almost our worst player in every category.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 28th, 2019, 8:52 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 7:53 am
dogie wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 7:46 am
Or that Abel Porter is statistically almost our worst player in every category.
Let's pump the brakes. Porter is a scholarship-level player now. We can't talk about him like he's a walk-on.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 28th, 2019, 9:19 am

It seems that these ratings would favor a mediocre inside player over a mediocre perimeter player. I imagine rebounds and block shots have greater weighting on these stats.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 28th, 2019, 9:27 am

These “advanced” stats further solidify my view with the over emphasis on analytics in sports today.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 28th, 2019, 9:29 am

But analytics broke the Curse of the Bambino.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 28th, 2019, 10:16 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 9:29 am
Love that show. But Baseball is truly a 1 on 1 game -- pitcher v. hitter. Basketball is not.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 28th, 2019, 10:34 am

All this does is make me long to have JK3 still on the team, continue to be baffled as to why Brown gets so little PT in comparison to others, remain confused about why TK can't get a few minutes at PG given the other available options, confirms that Miller is becoming more valuable on offense but remains a defensive liability, and obviously backs up how important Sam and Neemias are to this team.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 28th, 2019, 10:55 am

Aglicious wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 10:34 am
All this does is make me long to have JK3 still on the team, continue to be baffled as to why Brown gets so little PT in comparison to others, remain confused about why TK can't get a few minutes at PG given the other available options, confirms that Miller is becoming more valuable on offense but remains a defensive liability, and obviously backs up how important Sam and Neemias are to this team.
And it shows you how bad Porter is, and how we should have Bean play in front of . . . well everyone including Queta, Quinn, and Merrill. Yup, analytics tell the whole story without further review.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 28th, 2019, 11:06 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 9:27 am
These “advanced” stats further solidify my view with the over emphasis on analytics in sports today.
NVAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 9:19 am
It seems that these ratings would favor a mediocre inside player over a mediocre perimeter player. I imagine rebounds and block shots have greater weighting on these stats.
USUBlue wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 10:55 am

And it shows you how bad Porter is, and how we should have Bean play in front of . . . well everyone including Queta, Quinn, and Merrill. Yup, analytics tell the whole story without further review.
Bean's stats look really good in part because he did so well in garbage minutes when the outcome was already decided.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 28th, 2019, 12:19 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 10:16 am
NVAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 9:29 am
Love that show. But Baseball is truly a 1 on 1 game -- pitcher v. hitter. Basketball is not.
This is a great point, and one of the reasons I like basketball so much. Coach is aware of it as well; I've heard him reference the 'coneheads' from the miracle of ice team a few times. Often, a certain unit will click, and the team becomes more than a sum of parts. That's an indication of good coaching, and I love watching those teams.

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 28th, 2019, 12:22 pm

The one stat that I care about the most is we are 15-5 and tied for 2nd place in the conference. From an overall talent perspective this team would rank in the lower half of the conference. One thing this team does well is plays as a team. There are no egos.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 28th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 12:22 pm
The one stat that I care about the most is we are 15-5 and tied for 2nd place in the conference. From an overall talent perspective this team would rank in the lower half of the conference. One thing this team does well is plays as a team. There are no egos.
Agreed

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » January 28th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:The one stat that I care about the most is we are 15-5 and tied for 2nd place in the conference. From an overall talent perspective this team would rank in the lower half of the conference. One thing this team does well is plays as a team. There are no egos.
Agreed, also there is no stat for just overall hustle, which there is a lot of on this team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » January 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm

GATA Stats.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 28th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:The one stat that I care about the most is we are 15-5 and tied for 2nd place in the conference. From an overall talent perspective this team would rank in the lower half of the conference. One thing this team does well is plays as a team. There are no egos.
Agreed, also there is no stat for just overall hustle, which there is a lot of on this team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But there is a belt for that!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 28th, 2019, 3:05 pm

By the way, I retract my rhetorical question posed in another thread:
"What if I told you that Brock Miller was good at defense?"

My rhetorical question was misleading and these stats show that. I lend more credence into these stats than my own "eye test" so I will agree that Brock's defense apparently sucks. I've seen him flying around and showing effort on that end, but for whatever reason his stats are the worst on the team in pretty much every defensive category. I'll have to start paying better attention to figure out why that is.

Good thing he's dominating so much on the Offensive end as of late. Hopefully he can figure out the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not surprised that Bean's numbers are so high. Dude plays with a ton of hustle and gets an obscene amount of rebounds. Makes plays within his game (good efficiency) and plays good defense. His offensive game is limited, but he plays within what he does well. I'm always happy to see him get on the court.

I was kind of surprised how high Brown's numbers are with all of his boneheaded mistakes and turnovers on offense. He has the skill on that end, and if he doesn't try to do too much can be a great weapon for us. It's been interesting to see coach's substitution patterns of late, especially with Brown and TK.

I'm not surprised Crew is no longer starting, but I am surprised that he hasn't even sniffed the floor the last two games. It has been apparent that Porter has passed him up, especially of late, but Porter hasn't been all that much to write home about either this year (as confirmed in the stats). He's definitely improving though, and I'm excited by some of the things I saw in the last game, even outside of the game winner and other huge 3 he hit.

SLB

Post by SLB » January 28th, 2019, 3:12 pm

treesap32 wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 3:05 pm
By the way, I retract my rhetorical question posed in another thread:
"What if I told you that Brock Miller was good at defense?"

My rhetorical question was misleading and these stats show that. I lend more credence into these stats than my own "eye test" so I will agree that Brock's defense apparently sucks. I've seen him flying around and showing effort on that end, but for whatever reason his stats are the worst on the team in pretty much every defensive category. I'll have to start paying better attention to figure out why that is.

Good thing he's dominating so much on the Offensive end as of late. Hopefully he can figure out the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not surprised that Bean's numbers are so high. Dude plays with a ton of hustle and gets an obscene amount of rebounds. Makes plays within his game (good efficiency) and plays good defense. His offensive game is limited, but he plays within what he does well. I'm always happy to see him get on the court.

I was kind of surprised how high Brown's numbers are with all of his boneheaded mistakes and turnovers on offense. He has the skill on that end, and if he doesn't try to do too much can be a great weapon for us. It's been interesting to see coach's substitution patterns of late, especially with Brown and TK.

I'm not surprised Crew is no longer starting, but I am surprised that he hasn't even sniffed the floor the last two games. It has been apparent that Porter has passed him up, especially of late, but Porter hasn't been all that much to write home about either this year (as confirmed in the stats). He's definitely improving though, and I'm excited by some of the things I saw in the last game, even outside of the game winner and other huge 3 he hit.
I am curious about the Ainge decision since he played so much to now where he doesn't play at all. Porter in the season stats has not been good, but Porter has really step it in passing and ball handler which has made this team way better as of late. We need to have Bean to keep getting better too.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 29th, 2019, 12:58 am

Porter played poorly until the Fresno game. He got a lot of confidence that night and it's showing in his play lately. I think a better indication of Porter's stats would be using conference play data only

Miller too to an extent. He's been playing much better since getting over his foot/ankle pain/injury

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 30th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Bean is proving these numbers right tonight. This game changed when he came in.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 30th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 7:34 pm
Bean is proving these numbers right tonight. This game changed when he came in.
He's on scholarship now so no one gets to doubt his abilities anymore! That's how it works I think

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 30th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Bean is one of my favorites to watch. His rebound instincts are incredible and his hustle is beautiful. I think he’s a great team player.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Locked Previous topicNext topic