First 4 Out (ESPN)

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

First 4 Out (ESPN)

Post by ThunderAggie » January 29th, 2019, 9:02 am

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

According to Joe Lunardi....as of today, we have moved up from the next 4 out to the first 4 out along with Florida, Creighton, and Butler. We may be able to slip into the field on Lunardi's bracket with 3 wins in a row, including UNLV and Fresno. At this point, we can't afford any slip ups (except probably Nevada), but I am not banking on being an at large. MW tourney should be fun! :rock:

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: First 4 Out (ESPN)

Post by aggies22 » January 29th, 2019, 9:27 am

That's a loaded First 4 Out group!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 29th, 2019, 9:47 am

We had a small window for error. But the loss to FSU elimated that window. As long as we beat FSU on the road, assuming we lose to Nevada in the Spectrum (but who knows on that one, we could beat them) we perhaps can lose one more game and finish at 14-4 in conference. But that’s it. Finishing in second place, not third place is critical. Then we need to win at least two games in the conference tourney. With all that we then hold our breath and hope for few Cinderella teams to upset locks for the NCAA tourney.

Regardless, that trajectory will get us into the NIT with a great seed. That alone would far exceed the expectations I had for this year.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 29th, 2019, 11:20 am

I'm thinking that the NIT could actually be better for us this year (although I'd never complain about an NCAA Tournament bid). KenPom is also really high on our team right now. He actually has us favored in all of our remaining games (but also projects that we'll drop 2 of them). A 24-7 record going into the MW Tournament would be better than anyone could have imagined at the start of this year.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 29th, 2019, 11:24 am

Pretty crazy to even be talking about this. I'm just happy to see the team fighting so hard.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 29th, 2019, 11:46 am

Why are people considering Nevada at home an automatic loss? I personally think the Aggies have a great chance to beat them in Logan. It’ll likely be a matchup of the top two teams the last week of the regular season. The Spectrum will be at its best. Nevada has been vulnerable on the road so far.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 29th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 11:46 am
Why are people considering Nevada at home an automatic loss? I personally think the Aggies have a great chance to beat them in Logan. It’ll likely be a matchup of the top two teams the last week of the regular season. The Spectrum will be at its best. Nevada has been vulnerable on the road so far.
It's a likely loss but it's definitely not automatic. This team has the ability to beat anyone in the league. Nevada has more talent but even Duryea beat them in the Spectrum.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 29th, 2019, 12:55 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 9:47 am
We had a small window for error. But the loss to FSU elimated that window. As long as we beat FSU on the road, assuming we lose to Nevada in the Spectrum (but who knows on that one, we could beat them) we perhaps can lose one more game and finish at 14-4 in conference. But that’s it. Finishing in second place, not third place is critical. Then we need to win at least two games in the conference tourney. With all that we then hold our breath and hope for few Cinderella teams to upset locks for the NCAA tourney.

Regardless, that trajectory will get us into the NIT with a great seed. That alone would far exceed the expectations I had for this year.
I think you've got this backwards. I think we are rooting for zero Cinderella teams to make the tourney, because those teams they beat would still get in.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

sneed

Post by sneed » January 29th, 2019, 1:09 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
utaggies wrote:

I think you've got this backwards. I think we are rooting for zero Cinderella teams to make the tourney, because those teams they beat would still get in.
Right. We will be cheering on all the “Locks” to get the auto bids except Nevada (if we are the ones to get our auto bid).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLB

Post by SLB » January 29th, 2019, 1:26 pm

We have been a bubble team for much of the season. I believe that we keep getting better and win enough to get to the NCAA tournament.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » January 29th, 2019, 1:39 pm

sneed wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 1:09 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
utaggies wrote:

Right. We will be cheering on all the “Locks” to get the auto bids except Nevada (if we are the ones to get our auto bid).

Read it a little more closely, that’s exactly what utaggies is saying lol
These users thanked the author trombone_ninja for the post:
sneed

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 29th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Yes, what trombone_ninja said. We want few (not a few) Cinderella teams to upset tourney locks.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
YoungBloodAggie

dogie

Post by dogie » January 29th, 2019, 3:34 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 2:25 pm
Yes, what trombone_ninja said. We want few (not a few) Cinderella teams to upset tourney locks.
That’s a nuance of the English language I have never contemplated. That’s got to be hard for non-native speakers.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 29th, 2019, 4:10 pm

utaggies wrote:
My bad broseph.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 29th, 2019, 4:19 pm

From the Stackexchange, which is a Q&A site for linguists (who knew?):

“Few, when used without a preceding 'a', means "very few" or "none at all". On the other hand, a few is used to indicate "not a large number". The difference is subtle, yet there are instances where the two can mean completely opposite things.

I can't think of any such example for "few minutes" and "a few minutes" but consider this:

I have a few objections to the vendor's proposed approach.
This implies that I am not on board with the vendor's proposal. I have some objections, but not so many as to say "I have several objections...". Nevertheless, I have objections that need to be addressed.

I have few objections to the vendor's proposed approach.
This is a more positive statement that implies I am more or less on board with the proposal. It is not a whole-hearted endorsement, but I barely have any objections at all.”

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » January 29th, 2019, 4:25 pm

I think it was mainly confusing because we would actually want none other than us... Thought the same thing 😅

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

BamaAggie

Post by BamaAggie » January 29th, 2019, 4:53 pm

dogie wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 3:34 pm
utaggies wrote:
That’s a nuance of the English language I have never contemplated. That’s got to be hard for non-native speakers.
Maybe not as hard as...”(I can't express myself without swearing)”

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 29th, 2019, 10:37 pm

utaggies wrote:
The thing is, we would hope for NO tourney locks to get upset in their tourneys. Personally, I am not going to worry about that or bubble teams(the other thing we usually have to worry about) this time around cause I don't think we are getting the bid regardless.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 29th, 2019, 10:58 pm

We are not going dancing unless we can beat Nevada in Vegas.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 30th, 2019, 4:07 am

dyedblue wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 10:58 pm

If we beat Nevada in Logan and only drop 1 more game, we should definitely be in.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 30th, 2019, 6:29 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 4:07 am
dyedblue wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 10:58 pm

If we beat Nevada in Logan and only drop 1 more game, we should definitely be in.
I agree. Losing to Nevada in LV would mean we made it to the championship game. A 2-1 record in the tourney and one other regular season loss (Nevada) would mean a 15-3 conference record, a second place finish, an overall record of 27-7, no bad losses and some good wins, and going 16-2 to finish. That’s good enough. However, achieving all that is a pretty long putt.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 30th, 2019, 6:39 am

Fun to speculate. But we still have road games at Fresno, SDSU and even Boise and csu. Heck even Air Force. Those are tough games.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » January 30th, 2019, 7:49 am

Carts loaded with eggs being pushed by a horse, my Aggie brothers. Of course, I am an eternal skeptic.

These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
LKGates

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 30th, 2019, 8:35 am

jpswensen wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 7:49 am
Carts loaded with eggs being pushed by a horse, my Aggie brothers. Of course, I am an eternal skeptic.

This post is a cornucopia of metaphors. Well played.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » January 30th, 2019, 4:58 pm

If they could win a but maybe at Fresno, but beat Nevada at home, imho they would be in. NIT is almost a certainty unless the get several losses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic