HS FB dying in California?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ViAggie

HS FB dying in California?

Post by ViAggie » February 2nd, 2019, 4:04 pm

interesting article about the decline of HS FB participation in California: https://www.pe.com/2019/02/02/high-scho ... den-state/

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

trombone_ninja

Re: HS FB dying in California?

Post by trombone_ninja » February 2nd, 2019, 5:19 pm

Is it because the popularity of soccer is on the rise? :rock:

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » February 2nd, 2019, 6:51 pm

It would be sad if a sport that is boring and doesn’t require hand and feet skills overtake Football, but anything is possible in Liberal bastion California

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieBustaMcNutt

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 3rd, 2019, 2:44 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 6:51 pm
It would be sad if a sport that is boring and doesn’t require hand and feet skills overtake Football, but anything is possible in Liberal bastion California

Best state in the country

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » February 3rd, 2019, 3:44 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 2:44 am
Jjoey53 wrote:

Best state in the country
True. Also the worst.

Nobody here knows anything.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » February 4th, 2019, 9:55 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
Preemptive caveat, I love American Football. I spend nearly all day every Saturday in the fall watching it. But...

1) Very subjective opinion on the entertainment value of soccer, but it is watched by FAR more people worldwide than football and participation in football is nearly non-existent outside of the US and Canada, so it appears there are enough people that find Soccer entertaining that it could viably become bigger in the US.

2) Football is on the decline all across the country, not just "liberal California".
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-hea ... ll-n902886

3) DJT even said yesterday he would have a hard time with Barron playing, and several NFL players have shared similar opinions.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript ... ry-3-2019/

4) Even Soccer participation has been on the decline in the US. Appears that the focus on one sport at a young age through things like AAU and travel leagues has been leading the charge of burnout in youth sports.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/20 ... eee3961ea8

5) I mostly played baseball up to my freshman year of HS then picked up tennis and track, only played one season of soccer when I was like 5, and never played an actual organized padded game of football, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 4th, 2019, 10:17 am

dhilk3785 wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 9:55 am
Jjoey53 wrote:
Preemptive caveat, I love American Football. I spend nearly all day every Saturday in the fall watching it. But...

1) Very subjective opinion on the entertainment value of soccer, but it is watched by FAR more people worldwide than football and participation in football is nearly non-existent outside of the US and Canada, so it appears there are enough people that find Soccer entertaining that it could viably become bigger in the US.

2) Football is on the decline all across the country, not just "liberal California".

3) DJT even said yesterday he would have a hard time with Barron playing, and several NFL players have shared similar opinions.

4) Even Soccer participation has been on the decline in the US. Appears that the focus on one sport at a young age through things like AAU and travel leagues has been leading the charge of burnout in youth sports.

5) I mostly played baseball up to my freshman year of HS then picked up tennis and track, only played one season of soccer when I was like 5, and never played an actual organized padded game of football, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Good points dhilk3785. I worry that participation in organized sports across the board is probably declining, I could be wrong but I doubt it. My daughter just made the track team at her HS of 3,200 students and she didn't even have to try out. She showed up (after they begged her) and she was on the team, thrilled to have her. My daughter has never been an athlete short of a one year stint as a cheerleader when she was like 6.

Also, we all know that American FB injuries are now under a microscope, especially head injuries, but has anyone been looking into the injuries in other sports and comparing them with football? Especially head injuries. I know that our youth soccer league recently banned headbutting (the ball) for kids under 12. My oldest, who played FB up until his 8th grade year, revived his first concussion ever.... while playing water polo!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 4th, 2019, 10:26 am

dhilk3785 wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 9:55 am
Jjoey53 wrote:

6. There are 40-odd countries where Rugby (practically indistinguishable from American football) is played professionally. No, that's not as many countries as play soccer, but, dang, that's a pretty good country count.

7. I didn't even count Australian Rules football, played in some 60 countries, also virtually indistinguishable.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » February 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Re: injuries, especially head injuries, in other sports. I don't know about #s, but we are super cautious about heads here. I coach soccer and baseball, plus son has played basketball, and there are concussion waivers, training, protocols, the works. Soccer is trying to regulate heading more, like they have been with slide tackles, though it's usually not the heading that generates concussions - it's two heads crashing into each other trying to get on the ball.

Football is probably on the decline here and soccer is exploding. Lots of reasons for that beyond commie coastal libruls, but the football thing sure gets politicized. (Recent Ringer article on CA high school regulations was good.) My son doesn't even like football much anymore. He thinks it's kinda boring to watch and isn't interested in getting pulverized.

I don't have #s on overall sports participation. Maybe it's on the decline, but hard to say here. Few of my friends played when I was growing up, so to me, it seems like it's on the up and up. But the seriousness of youth sports is off the charts now, and very bizarre.

Full disclosure: I have played and loved soccer since youth, coach it now, and it is far and away my favorite sport. Free flowing tactical richness that no other sport can match, in my opinion.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 4th, 2019, 2:39 pm

...with little to no scoring.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 4th, 2019, 3:01 pm

While typing this I am flailing to the ground because someone reading this out in Utah right now clearly fouled me and deserves a red card.

That’s soccer.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » February 4th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 3:01 pm
While typing this I am flailing to the ground because someone reading this out in Utah right now clearly fouled me and deserves a red card.

That’s soccer.
Just the Italians. ;)

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 4th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Honestly, the flopping in soccer makes it virtually unwatchable for me. It is ridiculous
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
USU78

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 5th, 2019, 8:44 am

SeattleAg wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm
Free flowing tactical richness that no other sport can match, in my opinion.
Lacrosse. Tactical richness, faster paced, higher scoring, and you still get violence. Where else can you hit someone with a metal stick? Best of all worlds.

Aggies All the Way!

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » February 5th, 2019, 10:53 am

I've never figured out why Americans can't just ignore soccer, but have to actively belittle it. (Actually, I have some theories about Europe, little brother syndrome, etc., but that's for another time.) You don't like it? Fine. I don't bag on your sports, why the aggressive hate for mine? Fortunately, the opinions of others don't matter much to me. :D

And yeah, diving is an issue, but it's being policed within the game and numerous policies to combat it are out there. Look at the backlash to Neymar after the World Cup and recent injuries because nobody else in France likes to play with him.

But to the original point, the US seems to be fragmenting geographically for sports as well as almost everything else. The West Coast is just going to be different. Funny thing about this - I was listening to sports radio and the question came up why the PAC-12 is bad right now at basketball. The reporter said, "Well, the best kids are all from LA. But you can only have a max of two LA kids on a roster, because everyone from LA is working some angle and it will blow up the team." Who knows if that's true, but it cracked me up.
These users thanked the author SeattleAg for the post:
AgMan21

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » February 5th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Kids get better skills by playing a variety of sports. AAU as far as I am concerned is not a good thing. There are some real sleaze balls involved in the basketball area as well, witness Collette.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » February 5th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Flopping in soccer makes it look like Vlade Divac actually takes charges.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » February 5th, 2019, 1:48 pm

I know we are mostly talking about HS and youth football here. But the last several NCAA games I went to in person were very unwatchable (and one of those was the USU win over Boise in 2015). There are WAY too many stoppages in play for television commercials. It is not as noticeable when you are actually watching it on TV, but in person it totally kills the game. I would love to see football be broadcast more like soccer is, with just a sponsor logo in the corner or something until halftime. Maybe with football, only allow commercial breaks between quarters and during half time. It would make the in-person experience so much nicer.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » February 5th, 2019, 7:55 pm

SeattleAg wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 10:53 am
I've never figured out why Americans can't just ignore soccer, but have to actively belittle it. (Actually, I have some theories about Europe, little brother syndrome, etc., but that's for another time.) You don't like it? Fine. I don't bag on your sports, why the aggressive hate for mine? Fortunately, the opinions of others don't matter much to me. :D
+1

i've had multiple instances where people interject their unasked for negative opinion on why soccer sucks when me and a friend would be discussing it. used to drive me batty but now i just... eh. but yeah. don't get it at all.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 6th, 2019, 10:14 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 7:55 pm
SeattleAg wrote:
+1

i've had multiple instances where people interject their unasked for negative opinion on why soccer sucks when me and a friend would be discussing it. used to drive me batty but now i just... eh. but yeah. don't get it at all.
It's a variant of small penis syndrome where a Cowboys fan can't comprehend how there are only 10 million Cowboys fans yet 1.5 billion Barcelona fans.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 6th, 2019, 10:14 am

SeattleAg wrote:

And yeah, diving is an issue, but it's being policed within the game and numerous policies to combat it are out there. Look at the backlash to Neymar after the World Cup and recent injuries because nobody else in France likes to play with him.

But to the original point, the US seems to be fragmenting geographically for sports as well as almost everything else. The West Coast is just going to be different. Funny thing about this - I was listening to sports radio and the question came up why the PAC-12 is bad right now at basketball. The reporter said, "Well, the best kids are all from LA. But you can only have a max of two LA kids on a roster, because everyone from LA is working some angle and it will blow up the team." Who knows if that's true, but it cracked me up.
this video should clear things up:

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » February 18th, 2019, 12:41 pm

I don't get the mindset of floppers in basketball, looking at you NBA for causing this, or soccer or any sport. It really is pathetic that you need that to help you win. Be a man (or empowered woman :) ) and get the job done yourself and if you don't learn from failure when it comes go cry in your parents basement.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

LKGates

Post by LKGates » February 18th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Kickboxing, sport of the future. Wow, Lloyd Dobler was a prophet!

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » February 18th, 2019, 1:59 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 8:44 am
SeattleAg wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm
Free flowing tactical richness that no other sport can match, in my opinion.
Lacrosse. Tactical richness, faster paced, higher scoring, and you still get violence. Where else can you hit someone with a metal stick? Best of all worlds.
Great sport. And it doesn't get more "American" than this!

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Locked Previous topicNext topic