Darwin Thompson snubbed from Combine Invite

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Darwin Thompson snubbed from Combine Invite

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 4th, 2019, 9:42 am

Heard Darwin Thompson didn't get an invite to the combine. Bummer. :headscratch:

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Darwin Thompson snubbed from Combine Invite

Post by aggies22 » February 4th, 2019, 10:02 am

Maybe the scouts have seen all the Twitter videos and that's enough.

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » February 4th, 2019, 10:26 am

Does anyone know how the process works? Who specifically makes the call as to whether someone gets an invite or not?

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 4th, 2019, 11:55 am

Still will have pro day right? Gets to at least have some interested team reps and real pro day stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » February 4th, 2019, 11:57 am

Jordan told me that there were a ton of NFL scouts at many practices throughout the season, I think he'll be ok
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 4):
Aggie_in_Idahobigblueaggies22IdaAg93

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 4th, 2019, 12:54 pm

There is at least one NFL coach who has probably heard alot about him from a family member.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 4th, 2019, 2:37 pm

My understanding is that teams have input but it’s ultimately up to a committee.

Pro day is still there and his results also speak.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 4th, 2019, 5:17 pm

If you're good, NFL will find you combine or no

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 4th, 2019, 6:43 pm

I wonder who’s been giving Darwin advice?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » February 4th, 2019, 6:59 pm

The vast majority of eligible players every year don't get invited to the combine - only about 10% get invites when you consider smaller schools in the total number of eligible. Does it help? Of course, but he's a talented kid and will get seen at the USU pro day. Btw, the Super Bowl MVP last night, not invited to the combine.

Go Aggies!

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 4th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 6:43 pm
I don’t think you have all the information to ask these sort of assumptive questions. He may have not had a lot of choices in the matter of going early.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 4th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 7:06 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
I don’t think you have all the information to ask these sort of assumptive questions. He may have not had a lot of choices in the matter of going early.
I get that but I also get that this world is full of predatory agents that lose nothing by forcing kids out of school to early.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 4th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 7:50 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
I get that but I also get that this world is full of predatory agents that lose nothing by forcing kids out of school to early.
Think about the situations where a young man would have no other choice but to go early. Apply one to Darwin because that’s the reality.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 4th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 8:01 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Think about the situations where a young man would have no other choice but to go early. Apply one to Darwin because that’s the reality.
That’s fair.
Hope it works out.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 4th, 2019, 8:17 pm

1. If you don't know what Darwin is going through, don't comment on it.
2. If you do know what Darwin is going through, and you are dropping hints here, stop. So far out of the realm of "your business" that it would be harder to get much further away.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 4th, 2019, 8:40 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 8:17 pm
2. If you do know what Darwin is going through, and you are dropping hints here, stop. So far out of the realm of "your business" that it would be harder to get much further away.
Sports boards by their very nature deal in things that are not any of our business. We talk about players work ethic, decisions, performance (or lack thereof) on the field, motivations, desires, twitter feeds, conduct off the field- this very thread topic- none of our business, this among many topics that strictly speaking are not “our business” or even approach being our business. This doesn’t disqualify them from discussion.
I consider myself sufficiently admonished and will say no More but remember that having your decisions scrutinized and speculated on fairly or unfairly on a sports board or by the media is part and parcel of being a visible student athlete.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 4th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 8:40 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Sports boards by their very nature deal in things that are not any of our business. We talk about players work ethic, decisions, performance (or lack thereof) on the field, motivations, desires, twitter feeds, conduct off the field- this very thread topic- none of our business, this among many topics that strictly speaking are not “our business” or even approach being our business. This doesn’t disqualify them from discussion.
I consider myself sufficiently admonished and will say no More but remember that having your decisions scrutinized and speculated on fairly or unfairly on a sports board or by the media is part and parcel of being a visible student athlete.
If you can't distinguish the difference between chatting about our favorite university's athletes and delving into their personal lives, there's no need to extend this conversation. Darwin's motivations are his own, and if he at some point decides to share them with the public then we can infer that he is at peace with them being discussed. Players' personal issues are not free game for anonymous forum posters.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 4th, 2019, 8:57 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 8:55 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
If you can't distinguish the difference between chatting about our favorite university's athletes and delving into their personal lives, there's no need to extend this conversation. Darwin's motivations are his own, and if he at some point decides to share them with the public then we can infer that he is at peace with them being discussed. Players' personal issues are not free game for anonymous forum posters.
Point taken. Go Aggies.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
YoungBloodAggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 4th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 8:57 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Point taken. Go Aggies.
GO AGGIES.

UncleRico
Has thanked: 0

Post by UncleRico » February 5th, 2019, 9:55 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
. Players' personal issues are not free game for anonymous forum posters.
I think "personal issues" are going to be a topic of discussion to the extent they impact on the field performance, eligibility, locker room dynamics, recruiting, and the team in general. Is DT's decision to leave early a reflection of his feelings about the new coaching staff or is he getting great feedback from scouts suggesting that he should jump now and get paid? Is he not a fan of Logan or did he just have a bad semester in the classroom so that leaving school now makes the most sense? From my perspective, his motivations for the decision are interesting if they speak to any issues related to the team. Didn't you just comment in another thread on Legas's highly personal decision not to serve a mission? :joking:

I recognize we are not entitled to know about certain things, nor is it any of our business. I certainly wish DT luck and think his combine performance will get him a lot of interest from teams. Also, I appreciate your interest in not trashing the players - we sometimes get a little too critical and nasty about our own.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 5th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
I asked this same question on an earlier thread about Darwin's decision to leave early. I thought it was a fair question then as I do now. Maybe he's getting great advice. Or, maybe he isn't.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 5th, 2019, 1:32 pm

I don’t think 1 extra year in college after an already incredible season could do much to help him.

I’m confident he makes a roster. I’m not confident that an extra year makes him a 1st round pick. Taking the money was a smart choice.

If any of you could have left college to make $600,000 I think you would all take it.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 5th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 1:32 pm
I don’t think 1 extra year in college after an already incredible season could do much to help him.

I’m confident he makes a roster. I’m not confident that an extra year makes him a 1st round pick. Taking the money was a smart choice.

If any of you could have left college to make $600,000 I think you would all take it.
Pretty much agreed, especially since he most likely wasn't going to move up much and would be a mid-rounder, if he's chosen, either way. The only caveat is another incredible season might move him into the second or third round where he would have a much better chance of making a roster. Also, there is no guarantee he is going to make any money outside of signing with the agent.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 5th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 8:01 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
I'd like to hear what you think you know because you're wrong....

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 5th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
You're making waaaayyyyy to many assumptions to fit a narrative you've had on this situation since it went public.

ususports

Post by ususports » February 5th, 2019, 7:14 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 2:44 pm
I'd like to hear what you think you know
Once you hear, can you let us know the details, so that we are all given ample opportunity to be judgmental and condescending?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 5th, 2019, 7:44 pm

ususports wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 7:14 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
Once you hear, can you let us know the details, so that we are all given ample opportunity to be judgmental and condescending?
Seriously.....

ususports

Post by ususports » February 5th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 7:44 pm
ususports wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Seriously.....
Very few of my posts are.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 5th, 2019, 9:05 pm

ususports wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 8:06 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
ususports wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Seriously.....
Very few of my posts are.
Sorry, was agreeing with you there. As in seriously! Not seriously?

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 6th, 2019, 9:27 am

Sl7vk wrote:
ususports wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Seriously.....
My point is that this is 100% fabricated rumor. Stop spreading garbage that isn't true.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 6th, 2019, 10:37 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 9:27 am
Sl7vk wrote:
ususports wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Seriously.....
My point is that this is 100% fabricated rumor. Stop spreading garbage that isn't true.
What's a rumor? That Thompson feels that he needs to declare for the draft this year? That's not a rumor, it's fact supported by the evidence that he has ACTUALLY declared for the draft. What his reasons are for feeling that way don't matter because he's doing the smart thing. If Thompson can make a roster (which I think he can) this is obviously the right choice. We can whine about how it hurts our team, but going into the draft right now is much better for Thompson than staying at USU another year for lots of reasons. The cheif among those reasons is that staying another year won't increase his NFL standing enough (and increase his rookie deal enough) to offset the opportunity cost of losing a year of being paid to play NFL football.
Last edited by brownjeans on February 6th, 2019, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 6th, 2019, 10:41 am

brownjeans wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 10:37 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
ususports wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Seriously.....
What's a rumor? That Thompson feels that he needs to declare for the draft this year? That's not a rumor, it's fact supported by the evidence that he has ACTUALLY declared for the draft. What his reasons are for feeling that way don't matter. Fact is, if he can make a roster (which I think he can), he's totally doing the right thing. Any RB who can get on an NFL roster should do it as early as they can.
No... re-read what was said above... I never said anything about him declaring for the draft being a rumor nor did I say it was a bad idea. The rumor that one is insinuating on this thread is that he was forced to declare because he couldn't come back. It's absolute garbage and made up.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 6th, 2019, 10:45 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 10:41 am
brownjeans wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
ususports wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Seriously.....
What's a rumor? That Thompson feels that he needs to declare for the draft this year? That's not a rumor, it's fact supported by the evidence that he has ACTUALLY declared for the draft. What his reasons are for feeling that way don't matter because he's doing the smart thing. If Thompson can make a roster (which I think he can) this is obviously the right choice. We can whine about how it hurts our team, but going into the draft right now is much better for Thompson than staying at USU another year for lots of reasons. The chief among those reasons is that staying another year won't increase his NFL standing enough (and increase his rookie deal enough) to offset the opportunity cost of losing a year of being paid to play NFL football.
No... re-read what was said above... I never said anything about him declaring for the draft being a rumor nor did I say it was a bad idea. The rumor that one is insinuating on this thread is that he was forced to declare because he couldn't come back. It's absolute garbage and made up.
All that was stated was "Think about the situations where a young man would have no other choice but to go early. Apply one to Darwin because that’s the reality."

You're choosing to infer that the situation was relating to eligibility. There are lots of situations - chief among them is finances. And declaring for the draft NOW makes way more financial sense than staying at USU another year.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 6th, 2019, 10:48 am

brownjeans wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 10:45 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 10:41 am
brownjeans wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
ususports wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
Seriously.....
What's a rumor? That Thompson feels that he needs to declare for the draft this year? That's not a rumor, it's fact supported by the evidence that he has ACTUALLY declared for the draft. What his reasons are for feeling that way don't matter because he's doing the smart thing. If Thompson can make a roster (which I think he can) this is obviously the right choice. We can whine about how it hurts our team, but going into the draft right now is much better for Thompson than staying at USU another year for lots of reasons. The chief among those reasons is that staying another year won't increase his NFL standing enough (and increase his rookie deal enough) to offset the opportunity cost of losing a year of being paid to play NFL football.
All that was stated was "Think about the situations where a young man would have no other choice but to go early. Apply one to Darwin because that’s the reality."

You're choosing to infer that the situation was relating to eligibility. There are lots of situations - chief among them is finances. And declaring for the draft NOW makes way more financial sense than staying at USU another year.
You're just arguing for arguing sake now... You know exactly what was being insinuated. Not going to get in a pissing match. This is my last response to this.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 6th, 2019, 10:51 am

Thompson will shine at his pro day. Not being familiar with all the other RB's in the draft I would put money that on his workout Thompson will grade out close to the top with his athleticism and strength. He will find a home with an NFL team. Would have loved to see him on the Aggies next year, but do not fault him for making the best decision he thought for his future.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
ChicAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic