Possible Depth Chart for the Offense

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN

Possible Depth Chart for the Offense

Post by ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN » February 7th, 2019, 4:30 pm

QB 10 LOVE JR
3 Colombi SO
6 Peasley Fr
11 Calvin FR
5 Legas FR
7 Dana FR

WR 80 Mariner SR
17 Compton Jr
13 Heckstall Sr
83 Patrick FR

WR 16 Nathan JR
19 Thompkins So
14 Lampkin FR
82 Curtis SO
12 Hussey FR

WR 81 Scarver JR
4 Carter FR
18 Eaton FR
84 Lockett FR

RB 8 Bright SR
2 Warren JR
34 Burt SR
29 Walker JR
20 Miller So

TE 88 Terrell JR
87 Repp SR
89 Boman SO
85 Manu JR
47 Lee JR
86 Mortensen FR

OT 78 South FR
73 Hack SO
77 Koch FR

OG 60 Bowles FR
74 Dolphin SO
65 K. Shaw FR
61 Davison FR

OC 58 Aliifua JR
64 Avendano FR

OG 56 Uluave So
75 T. Shaw JR
67 Meyers JR
69 Adams FR

OT 72 Edwards SO
79 Meacham FR
76 Hill FR
51 Owens FR

Psych
Has thanked: 0

Re: Possible Depth Chart for the Offense

Post by Psych » February 8th, 2019, 6:47 am

I don't know man... I don't think we can say Love will be QB1. *sarcasm*

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » February 8th, 2019, 7:53 am

the youth on the O line does concern me
These users thanked the author sammyhagar for the post:
thegreendalegelf

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 8th, 2019, 7:53 am

Woods will bring them along.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 8th, 2019, 7:58 am

We need young running backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » February 8th, 2019, 9:08 am

dyedblue wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 7:58 am

Agreed. I think we should move Preston Curtis to RB. He was a great RB in highschool with tremendous break away speed. If he's not going to be breaking the 2 deep at WR, might as well give him a shot at RB.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 8th, 2019, 9:27 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 9:08 am
dyedblue wrote:

Agreed. I think we should move Preston Curtis to RB. He was a great RB in highschool with tremendous break away speed. If he's not going to be breaking the 2 deep at WR, might as well give him a shot at RB.
Preston Curtis was listed at 5'10" and 180 pounds as a Freshman in 2018 so there is some room to bulk up "IF" that bulk doesn't slow him down. Seems like a reasonable suggestion to look at Preston as a running back if there are questions about getting the R B depth chart filled out in 2019.

Full

Post by Full » February 8th, 2019, 9:29 am

sammyhagar wrote:the youth on the O line does concern me
Live game reps across multiple games spread throughout last season helps reduce the the concern. There is youth, but the new redshirt rule allowed them all to get meaningful experience.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » February 8th, 2019, 9:47 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 9:27 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 9:08 am
dyedblue wrote:

Preston Curtis was listed at 5'10" and 180 pounds as a Freshman in 2018 so there is some room to bulk up "IF" that bulk doesn't slow him down. Seems like a reasonable suggestion to look at Preston as a running back if there are questions about getting the R B depth chart filled out in 2019.
I think he could turn into a Gerald Bright type running back for us in a year or two.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » February 8th, 2019, 10:12 am

I expect Dolphin, T. Shaw, and South to get a lot of snaps.I also think there is still a chance that Iniguez returns. If so, I expect him to start.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » February 8th, 2019, 10:18 am

GeoAg wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 10:12 am
I expect Dolphin, T. Shaw, and South to get a lot of snaps.I also think there is still a chance that Iniguez returns. If so, I expect him to start.
Gary gave me a lot of hope for next year when he said they didn't feel the need to recruit JC OL's because the guys in the program were good enough to reload. I expect the competition battle for the OL will be fun to watch this year.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » February 8th, 2019, 11:28 am

Not convinced Compton should be in two deep. I expect Tim Patrick to move up.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 9th, 2019, 6:11 am

Good stuff hordeman. I love seeing lists like this, nice view of who is coming. A couple of thoughts:

1. Wr is not deep. A few guys are going to have to step up. Guys who I think we know will contribute are Mariner, Compton,Nathan, Thompkins, and Scarver. Still feel at least 2 more guys are going to need to produce.
2. If Lee ends up that far down the depth chart I hope he switches back to defense. He is a great qb pressure guy. I also could see Lee being a pleasant surprise. He was a great hs wr.
3. Oline has been recruited very well the last two cycles. It seems like we have recruited a lot tackles wonder if any of them play guard at some point. I can see once Koch gets up in weight he will push for some playing tackle at tackle and south playing inside. Overall very young but looking at that group it is really talented.
4. One more thought regarding oline. It is easy to forget about the early commits, but I think Ashton Adams will be a very good player for us down the road. A multi sport guy with good footwork and very much looks the part. Other sport is wrestling, which is a good secondary sport for lineman.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » February 9th, 2019, 12:05 pm

I really think Kyler Hack is going to be your starting ROT. It's the very reason they kept him out last year, as he was good enough to start, as a JC Transfer sophmore. But Steve Taylor was a senior with starting experience, so Hack pushed him and then sat. Now he can start for at least 3 seasons.

Also, I would be really suprised to see Dolphin not starting at the one OG position either. He has two years in the program and has played already. That means a ton. Bowles is a nice player and will be a RS-Fr (unless he greyshirted). But young lineman have to be really great (like Alfred Williams Edwards was)

Gary said they looked at the line and were impressed with the players already in the program. They brought in enough people to keep the "pipeline" strong. I don't think you're going to see too many Freshman moving up to starting positions unless they are measureably better than people in front of them. I think the plan is to redshirt them all.

Gary said the same thing about the wide receivers-- we're not as thin at WR as a lot of people say. He said, yes, we lost some starters, but when they went back and looked at the film they felt very good about the people we had. Jordan Nathan is the only returning starter at the slot, but people like Savon Scarver, Devin Heckstall, Devin Thompkins, and Tyler Compton played a ton. We all know Scarver has a ton of speed, and I'm hoping coach Phillips can help him take that next step and become a true weapon as a wideout that we need. Tim Patrick is another guy they were really high on last year, but we had so many guys ahead of him that he redshirted. Expect big things from him this year. Now add to this bunch Siaosi Mariner, a proven player at Utah, and I think we'll be just fine at this position. One word about Tyler Compton. He's little and he's not really quick. But he has hands like glue. Every receiving corps needs to have that one guy who can catch it when it needs to be caught. Will he be catching 85 yard TD passes? Probably not. But he will get us a lot of first downs because he's a technician who will catch it when its thrown to him? Yes he will.

I would love for Brian Phillips to weigh in on this. He knows the current roster about as good as anybody and has followed many of the recruits. By all accounts, USU had the second best recruiting class to Boise State (they get a pass for some reason), so Brian should be able to tell us what we really have.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 9th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Good point AF. However, i’d be surprised if Dolphin or Hack start. That is not a knock in them, but if you listened to Wells last year the underclass non-starting lineman he raved about was Jacob South. Unless Anderson doesnt see the same thing, you will see south start somewhere on the line. Also If you don’t think a freshman will start above dolphin as a guard then the older Shaw kid will be your starter. He’d be ahead of dolphin on the depth chart. I could be wrong but I think Bowles will end up being ahead of both. Imo your top 5 will be Edwards, Uluave, Aliifua, Bowles (this is the one spot I’m most uncertain about), and south. Next 3 guys after them is a guess but I would say hack, Koch (if this guy gets the weight he will be good, could also see Gary possibly trying him on defense), and Meacham/possibly Hill/older shaw. Plus I think avenando could step up as a center. We will see soon enough though. One thing I know about this group is we have as much talent waiting in the wings that I’ve ever seen. Matt did a great job building this group with Gary adding a big time recruit in Hill. A lot of guys who had p5 offers and interest.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » February 9th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Like I've said before "Let the competition begin." That's what I love about Gary and TJ. Whoever plays will have earned it!
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
slcagg

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » February 9th, 2019, 12:38 pm

GeoAg wrote:
Does anyone know why Iniguez might not be returning? I don’t care about specifics and I don’t want to hijack this into a conversation about whether or not we should be allowed to talk about players personal lives. I am just wondering if it is because of an injury (he doesn’t think it is worth the work to rehab or deal with the damage later in life), graduation (moving on with his life), or personal (once again, I don’t care about specifics). I am also wondering how sure everyone is that he will not be returning.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 9th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Aggiefever wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 12:38 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Does anyone know why Iniguez might not be returning? I don’t care about specifics and I don’t want to hijack this into a conversation about whether or not we should be allowed to talk about players personal lives. I am just wondering if it is because of an injury (he doesn’t think it is worth the work to rehab or deal with the damage later in life), graduation (moving on with his life), or personal (once again, I don’t care about specifics). I am also wondering how sure everyone is that he will not be returning.
I heard he has a job lined up. Maybe he will realize he can work the remainder of his life.👍

To AFs point it would be nice to have an upper class man start and losing Iniguez was a big hit. Guy could start a lot of places and it def hurts if isn’t here next fall.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 9th, 2019, 1:39 pm

GeoAg wrote:
Iniguez is not coming back.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 9th, 2019, 1:42 pm

dyedblue wrote:

Look for us to possibly take a summer JuCo transfer. If that doesn't happen you can bank on us taking another JuCo and a high school kid next year.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 9th, 2019, 1:47 pm

sammyhagar wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 7:53 am
the youth on the O line does concern me
If it makes you feel any better, Coach Andersen and Mike Sanford are NOT concerned about our young offensive line.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 9th, 2019, 3:25 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 1:42 pm
dyedblue wrote:

Look for us to possibly take a summer JuCo transfer. If that doesn't happen you can bank on us taking another JuCo and a high school kid next year.
A jc back that just completed his freshman year would be ideal.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 9th, 2019, 4:01 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 1:39 pm
GeoAg wrote:
What is the story here? Why not?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 9th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 4:01 pm
aggies22 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
It's what's been said before, he got a job and moved on.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 9th, 2019, 4:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 4:07 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 4:01 pm
aggies22 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
It's what's been said before, he got a job and moved on.
I wasn't aware. Good for him I guess.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 10th, 2019, 9:37 am

RB looks great for next season, but we need some young backs.

The only position group I worry about is WR.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » February 10th, 2019, 11:51 am

slcagg wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 6:11 am
Good stuff hordeman. I love seeing lists like this, nice view of who is coming. A couple of thoughts:

2. If Lee ends up that far down the depth chart I hope he switches back to defense. He is a great qb pressure guy. I also could see Lee being a pleasant surprise. He was a great hs wr.
I will be suprised if Lee is this far down the depth chart.. He would have seen significant playing time on the defense and
the coaches must have thought he could contribute more on offense. If you see his high school tape he was a tall lanky
receiver with good hands. If he can get the blocking down I will be excited to see what he can do.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 10th, 2019, 1:39 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 11:51 am
slcagg wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 6:11 am

I will be suprised if Lee is this far down the depth chart.. He would have seen significant playing time on the defense and
the coaches must have thought he could contribute more on offense. If you see his high school tape he was a tall lanky
receiver with good hands. If he can get the blocking down I will be excited to see what he can do.
With the addition of Repp and Manu, I hope we see Logan move back to DE. He has started several games there and was fairly effective. I just don't see a need for six TE's.

captain68

Post by captain68 » February 10th, 2019, 2:54 pm

I know that Gary and the coaching staff have said that they aren’t that worried about the offensive line, but that is probably my biggest concern. I watched all of our games last year right to the end just so I could gauge how good our back ups were, and I can tell you that there was a big drop off between our first and second string linemen. They have a lot to learn between now and this coming season.

Locked Previous topicNext topic