Well. He's a freshman

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Well. He's a freshman

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 9th, 2019, 9:43 pm

Awful game by Queta overall. Looks like he was just frustrated. I don't blame him the way the game was called. He'll get better still and so will we.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Re: Well. He's a freshman

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 9th, 2019, 9:44 pm

PS I love Sam.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 9th, 2019, 10:03 pm

They let Mensah do whatever he wanted and Queta lost it mentally. I go back to that stupid first foul he got when he dove for the loose ball right at the Asstech player's legs. He can't afford to pick up totally avoidable fouls. It limits his aggression when he hits three fouls that early.

Also, Merrill's last charge was garbage. Mensah was already falling when Merrill got to him, and I'd like to see a replay of that questionable goal tending no call in the final 2 minutes. Merrill was the man tonight. Can't wait for the rematch.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » February 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Need spectrum rocking would love to blow these guys out and stop losing to them

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 9th, 2019, 10:08 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm
Need spectrum rocking would love to blow these guys out and stop losing to them
Yep, this is our year to run them out of the building.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » February 9th, 2019, 10:10 pm

That old ref with the black hair called the most piss-poor game of his career tonight, and he's called a lot of bad ones. He should retire, the game has totally passed him by. That call that fouled out Merrill was total BS. The defensive man was moving right along with Sam.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 9th, 2019, 10:13 pm

What was Queta doing when he was trying his hook shot? It seemed like he would jump, but instead of putting a soft touch on it it looked like he was just throwing it down at the rim. He for sure struggled, but Mensah is a good player and is as big and as athletic as Queta is. The one win I want the rest of the year is a win against SDSU at home (Nevada would be great also).

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » February 9th, 2019, 10:24 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 10:10 pm
That old ref with the black hair called the most piss-poor game of his career tonight, and he's called a lot of bad ones. He should retire, the game has totally passed him by. That call that fouled out Merrill was total BS. The defensive man was moving right along with Sam.
Always seem like our star players never get star player treatment. Sam constantly gets hammered in games and no protection from officials

I think that same official didn’t call goaltender although would have been nice to have seen a reply but I’m guessing lack of reply means it was a missed call

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » February 9th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 10:13 pm
What was Queta doing when he was trying his hook shot? It seemed like he would jump, but instead of putting a soft touch on it it looked like he was just throwing it down at the rim. He for sure struggled, but Mensah is a good player and is as big and as athletic as Queta is. The one win I want the rest of the year is a win against SDSU at home (Nevada would be great also).
Seemed like Mensah would slide his body underneath Queta which caused those shots which should be a foul. Definitely credit Mensah he is skilled but I thought Queta got pushed in back on a lot of boards and totally bodied on O with no calls

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 9th, 2019, 11:22 pm

AggiesForever wrote:That old ref with the black hair called the most piss-poor game of his career tonight, and he's called a lot of bad ones. He should retire, the game has totally passed him by. That call that fouled out Merrill was total BS. The defensive man was moving right along with Sam.
He looked like somebody forgot about him in the bath for two days and remembered just in time to get him to the game.

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
Blue42aggies22

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 10th, 2019, 12:00 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 10:03 pm
They let Mensah do whatever he wanted and Queta lost it mentally. I go back to that stupid first foul he got when he dove for the loose ball right at the Asstech player's legs. He can't afford to pick up totally avoidable fouls. It limits his aggression when he hits three fouls that early.

Also, Merrill's last charge was garbage. Mensah was already falling when Merrill got to him, and I'd like to see a replay of that questionable goal tending no call in the final 2 minutes. Merrill was the man tonight. Can't wait for the rematch.
That first foul call was garbage. He was on the floor and then the Aztec guy ran into him. Definite no call. Loose ball. Pure garbage.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
Usu0505

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 10th, 2019, 8:18 am

bluegrouse wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 12:00 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 10:03 pm

That first foul call was garbage. He was on the floor and then the Aztec guy ran into him. Definite no call. Loose ball. Pure garbage.
They werent gonna let utah State pick up wins at fresno at New Mexico and at SDSU without a fight.

Also hard to win when one player scores over half your points. Sams toughness and competitive nature shined bright in this game.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 10th, 2019, 9:28 am

Queta was frustrated, in part, because he doesn't know what to expect from American referees. This game was called so inconsistently and different than previous recent games. But he still had 6 points on 3-9 shooting (at least 3 of those misses should have been called as fouls), 10 rebounds and 3 blocks. His defensive presence kept us in the game for key stretches while Sam did the dirty work on offense. He was a stabilizing presence that helped us recover from that 23-0 run. He and Merrill kept us in the game, not just Merrill.

DCAggie24

Post by DCAggie24 » February 10th, 2019, 9:32 am

It’s games like this that Queta should take stock of and know that he is not ready to leave school and although he has an extremely high ceiling, he has a lot of work to do if he thinks he can compete at the next level. He has to look at this as an internal barometer that he has a bit of development before he can battle and win every matchup and can’t just beat opponents based on his length and athleticism. He is a lot of fun to watch. The inbounds play where he dunked off the lob was awesome and credit Smith to keep going to him. That will benefit his confidence in the long run knowing that the team/staff are behind him, even if he is having a bad game.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 10th, 2019, 9:50 am

DCAggie24 wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 9:32 am
It’s games like this that Queta should take stock of and know that he is not ready to leave school and although he has an extremely high ceiling, he has a lot of work to do if he thinks he can compete at the next level. He has to look at this as an internal barometer that he has a bit of development before he can battle and win every matchup and can’t just beat opponents based on his length and athleticism. He is a lot of fun to watch. The inbounds play where he dunked off the lob was awesome and credit Smith to keep going to him. That will benefit his confidence in the long run knowing that the team/staff are behind him, even if he is having a bad game.
I agree with every thing you said.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 10th, 2019, 3:23 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 10:24 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 10:10 pm
Always seem like our star players never get star player treatment. Sam constantly gets hammered in games and no protection from officials

I think that same official didn’t call goaltender although would have been nice to have seen a reply but I’m guessing lack of reply means it was a missed call
The Mountain West and Hair Thompson have no interest in the resurgence of competitive hoops at Utah State. We were brought in as an afterthought and they would rather keep us that way, as an afterthought in both hoops and football.
Last edited by aggies22 on February 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » February 10th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Blue goggles all over.
Merrill was out of control in his last foul. We got beat and the refs weren't the reason.

Offensively, only Merrill showed up. That's why we lost.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 10th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Blitz79 wrote:Blue goggles all over.
Merrill was out of control in his last foul. We got beat and the refs weren't the reason.

The refs weren't the reason we lost but that doesn't mean they did a good job. We lost because we allowed a 23-0 run and had one player score over half of our points with no other players hitting double figures. The refs allowed the game to get out of hands a couple of times though by not calling some pretty blatant fouls.

Also, Sam wasn't out of control in the last one and the defender started falling backwards before contact ever happened.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus212004AG

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 10th, 2019, 5:40 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 4:07 pm
Blitz79 wrote:Blue goggles all over.

The refs weren't the reason we lost but that doesn't mean they did a good job. We lost because we allowed a 23-0 run and had one player score over half of our points with no other players hitting double figures. The refs allowed the game to get out of hands a couple of times though by not calling some pretty blatant fouls.

Also, Sam wasn't out of control in the last one and the defender started falling backwards before contact ever happened.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Refs never cause a loss and i only watched the last 7 min. Sams charge seemed like a fair call just a tough one to foul a star player out. The game was but over by then anyway. The worse call was the blatant goaltend right before. Admittedly no replay was shown so i could be wrong.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Refs can and do cause losses. This wasn't one of those cases.

The goaltend looked horribly obvious.

The charge on Sam is a joke given that SDSU could run you over all night long and it was a defensive foul. I guess we need to flop to get one our way.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 11th, 2019, 3:40 am

Did anyone see the Warrior's game tonight? Double dribble no call directly lead to Heat loss.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 11th, 2019, 8:55 am

dyedblue wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 3:40 am
Did anyone see the Warrior's game tonight? Double dribble no call directly lead to Heat loss.

The Heat missed 4 free throws and lost by 2.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 11th, 2019, 8:57 am

Allowing a 23-0 run did us in over the weekend. We will need to learn from this. No one showed up on offense besides Sam. I'm just glad we kept fighting and had a chance to win. SDSU will still have a say in the final standings. It will be interesting to see if they can catch some fire.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 11th, 2019, 3:10 pm

So the mistakes by the Heat made them lose, and missing an obvious double dribble in a tie game with 18 seconds left had no impact on the outcome - just like the Saints game.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
bigblue

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 11th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Blaming refs is tough because sometimes we are on the other side of the coin where we benefit.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 11th, 2019, 4:02 pm

I don't like it when coaches blame refs and use that as an excuse, but I also feel like there are some very obvious officiating mistakes that directly influence the outcome of games. I don't know what the answer is to fix things, or if it even needs to be fixed.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 11th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Of course refs influence games.

Ask the Saints about that.

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » February 11th, 2019, 5:24 pm

I like a coach who does not want to take the easy way out and blame the ref. Coach Smith seems to recognize the bad calls but chooses to focus on the things that the team can control (execution, discipline, and hard work). At the same time, it is foolish to not realize the impact that a ref can have on a game even to the point of determining the outcome.

Great teams overcome the mistakes by the calls against them and maximize the benefits of the calls for them.
Good teams take advantage of the calls for them but sometimes struggle with overcoming the calls against them.
Bad teams let the bad calls (for or against them) determine the outcome of the game.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » February 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm

I just rewatched the charge and I still think its a charge. The block is really hard to tell if it is goaltending or not. Initially I though it was. After watching it again I don't know. SDSU won fair and square. Lets get them when they come to Logan.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
Winning Team

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » February 11th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm
I just rewatched the charge and I still think its a charge. The block is really hard to tell if it is goaltending or not. Initially I though it was. After watching it again I don't know. SDSU won fair and square. Lets get them when they come to Logan.
They were definitely not “easy” calls. What I get frustrated with is Sam is a first team all conference type player and those players tend to get benefit of the doubt on calls and it doesn’t seem like Sam does most of the time

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 11th, 2019, 8:23 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 8:20 pm
Blitz79 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm
They were definitely not “easy” calls. What I get frustrated with is Sam is a first team all conference type player and those players tend to get benefit of the doubt on calls and it doesn’t seem like Sam does most of the time
The game was officiated strangely, for sure. It seemed like one possession a player would get attacked and molested, and the next play there would be foul for minor contact on the arm...

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 12th, 2019, 10:08 am

The problem I had with the refereeing was the inconsistency but I don't think that favored either team. A really poorly called game by that old guy. Seriously, the idea of him getting paid around $2,000 for that poor of an effort is the most upsetting part.

Locked Previous topicNext topic