Gladiator

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Empire of Dirt

Gladiator

Post by Empire of Dirt » February 11th, 2019, 6:32 pm

I was going to threadjack the "Early Enrolees" topic, but I decided to start a new one.

Have any of you listened to the "Gladiator" Podcast about Aaron Hernandez? It is an extremely well done podcast by the Boston Globe Spotlight people.

One of the contentions is that Aaron Hernandez should have not enrolled in college early because he wasn't ready. He was barely 17 hanging out at Florida, getting into trouble and having it covered up by the system there. Wondering, do we have good program that takes care of these guys when they get here?

Also, on another thread we were talking about the future of football in America. After listening, I will still probably be a season ticket holder and "Aggies Unlimited" member. But my small support of college football, knowing the harm that it causes, gives me a twinge of guilt and makes me glad that my son plays baseball.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Gladiator

Post by brownjeans » February 11th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I don't blame Aaron Hernadez being a murdering sack of crap on the system. Lots of people have it worse than him and don't kill people.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
aggies22

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » February 11th, 2019, 6:52 pm

brownjeans wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 6:47 pm
I don't blame Aaron Hernadez being a murdering sack of crap on the system. Lots of people have it worse than him and don't kill people.
Agreed. But there were things that helped him get there. Hell, maybe it would have happened either way. IDK???

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 11th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 6:52 pm
brownjeans wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 6:47 pm
I don't blame Aaron Hernandez being a murdering sack of crap on the system. Lots of people have it worse than him and don't kill people.
Agreed. But there were things that helped him get there. Hell, maybe it would have happened either way. IDK???
I think the thing the system is probably guilty in this situation is covering up for Hernandez and allowing him to continue being a sack of crap for long enough to pile up more victims and create an escalation to the offenses. If he hadn't been an athlete, he likely would have been in jail much earlier.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 12th, 2019, 12:28 am

Unfortunately Aaron Hernandez was mentally ill. It has nothing to do with football, or Florida, or anybody else who tried to help him. He was a mentally ill individual. Read some of the books on him and you’ll see that his pattern of mental illness is well described and long-lasting
These users thanked the author USUBlue for the post:
aggies22

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » February 12th, 2019, 9:32 pm

While I'm not a Patriots fan they did try to get him involved and away from the people he was associating with. There was an effort to get him to the west coast to work out with players during the off season. He told them no. It may not have changed the outcome but I do believe they were trying. It was just too little too late.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post:
aggies22

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 12th, 2019, 9:46 pm

I just finished James Patterson’s book on him last week. Hernandez was a gang member basically his whole life and never stopped being a gang member once he made the NFL. There is nobody to blame but Aaron himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
aggies22

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 13th, 2019, 1:26 am

pilotaggie wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 9:32 pm
While I'm not a Patriots fan they did try to get him involved and away from the people he was associating with. There was an effort to get him to the west coast to work out with players during the off season. He told them no. It may not have changed the outcome but I do believe they were trying. It was just too little too late.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
He had sociopathic tendencies; I'm not sure it would matter who he was around. He was usually the worst one in the group with almost no concern for even his friends. Like a said -- sociopathic tendencies.
These users thanked the author USUBlue for the post:
aggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 13th, 2019, 10:32 am

We live in a culture that ignores a lot of problems when you are rich, a top athlete, or a public figure.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 14th, 2019, 3:35 am

Overrated movie. Spartacus was better.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » February 14th, 2019, 10:55 am

2004AG wrote:I just finished James Patterson’s book on him last week. Hernandez was a gang member basically his whole life and never stopped being a gang member once he made the NFL. There is nobody to blame but Aaron himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, it was a string of very very poor decisions. He had ample opportunity to get out, but he choose this lifestyle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic